Weight Loss and Healthy Living #9 Tattlers Transformation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m currently at home with Covid. Just had Mac Donald’s wasted it as only managed a few mouthfuls! Have a big food shop full of healthy foods coming tomorrow need to fill my body with goodness. Going to start calorie counting again, go on holiday Tuesday next week and wanted to be healthier and few stone lighter than I was last year when we went away instead I’m only half stone down and feel horrendous 😢

• Heart
Reactions: 5
The weather is rubbish here so exercise has hit a brick wall, I feel so burnt out this week too.
On top of that I really struggle with the whole calorie deficit thing.
If I eat 1500 calories with the deficit of 500, how many calories should I be burning then or how much exercise should I be doing on top of that?
I just feel a bit thick when it comes to it all & I'm going on holiday in January so really want to feel a bit better in myself. Any help would be really welcomed x

The weather is rubbish here so exercise has hit a brick wall, I feel so burnt out this week too.
If I eat 1500 calories with the deficit of 500, how many calories should I be burning then or how much exercise should I be doing on top of that?
I just feel a bit thick when it comes to it all & I'm going on holiday in January so really want to feel a bit better in myself. Any help would be really welcomed x
There's different ways of doing this tbh. Some people work out their maintenance calories as if they're sedentary, take off a bit for the deficit, then eat a bit more on days they exercise. If you're happy to do that, then you could eat say 1500 and if your fitness tracker says you burn say 400, I wouldn't eat back anymore than about half of it to allow for inaccuracies etc.
The way I do things, and I prefer this personally, is that I work out my maintenance by factoring in that I'm lightly or moderately active, and then I eat the same amount every day. So it might be that you eat 1700 calories every day of the week, regardless of whether you exercise or not. I would try out both and see which you prefer and how your losses go.

Reactions: 4
I always understood a calorie deficit of 500 per day for a week =3500 calories which = one pound.
I was on a 600 calorie controlled diet for a few months and I found I was losing two pounds religiously every week.
ETA I would have described myself as sedentary at the time.

Reactions: 1
There's different ways of doing this tbh. Some people work out their maintenance calories as if they're sedentary, take off a bit for the deficit, then eat a bit more on days they exercise. If you're happy to do that, then you could eat say 1500 and if your fitness tracker says you burn say 400, I wouldn't eat back anymore than about half of it to allow for inaccuracies etc.
The way I do things, and I prefer this personally, is that I work out my maintenance by factoring in that I'm lightly or moderately active, and then I eat the same amount every day. So it might be that you eat 1700 calories every day of the week, regardless of whether you exercise or not. I would try out both and see which you prefer and how your losses go.
Thank you. I will try that. I was using my fitness pal to track the calories then going on the exercise bike or for a walk and losing between 300-600 calories on top of my 1500 calories I'd eaten, that was probably 3 days a week and then the other days just staying in the calorie deficit and not working out. Was just worried I wasn't burning enough or should have been burning more. I get so fed up and feel I'm doing something wrong. x

I always understood a calorie deficit of 500 per day for a week =3500 calories which = one pound.
I was on a 600 calorie controlled diet for a few months and I found I was losing two pounds religiously every week.
ETA I would have described myself as sedentary at the time.
Thank you. I will stick with it. I think I've just got myself into a bit of a rut as the lack of exercise this past week or two has made me feel like I'm not doing enough. I try to stick within the 1500 daily. I'm sedentary too. Office job & I live 10 mins from work so walk to and from work. Have an exercise bike but honestly got bored on it now. Need to give myself a kick up the bum and go for a walk or run but confidence is at a bit of a low.

Last edited:
I calorie counted, stuck with it and spent a week miraculously not feeling hungry. Added a few walks in but didn't do any strenuous exercise. Somehow lost 8lbs and 1.5" off my hips. I've got another 2st 5lbs I'd like to lose to fit comfortably back into my size 14s but very encouraging. I don't expect much if any of a loss this week.

Using Nutracheck has made me realise my diet is really quite low in carbohydrate (and fat now I've curbed my butter habit). I eat a good amount of eggs and dairy and have upped my meat intake but even so I'm finding hard to get to 30% protein without eating some kind of protein yogurt/dessert throughout the day.

Reactions: 9
Hi all, I need to bite the bullet and get serious about getting fit rather than pissing half heartedly around.

I am not leaving it until after Christmas/New Year. I am giving myself 1 more week (getting stitches out of my shoulder Friday and need to let that heal a little) and then I am planning on getting back to the gym and when it is not pissing it down cycling to work. I have plenty of thermal cycling gear so being lazy is my only excuse!

Currently 99kg. I am going to do it by 10kg targets so my first will be to hit 90kg.

I don't want to be super skinny I just want to be fit and healthier than I am.

Reactions: 6
I calorie counted, stuck with it and spent a week miraculously not feeling hungry. Added a few walks in but didn't do any strenuous exercise. Somehow lost 8lbs and 1.5" off my hips. I've got another 2st 5lbs I'd like to lose to fit comfortably back into my size 14s but very encouraging. I don't expect much if any of a loss this week.

Using Nutracheck has made me realise my diet is really quite low in carbohydrate (and fat now I've curbed my butter habit). I eat a good amount of eggs and dairy and have upped my meat intake but even so I'm finding hard to get to 30% protein without eating some kind of protein yogurt/dessert throughout the day.
Do you have the subscription to nutracheck? Looks like a good app but I don’t know whether it’ll become naff after the seven day trial.

Do you have the subscription to nutracheck? Looks like a good app but I don’t know whether it’ll become naff after the seven day trial.
I do you can only log in 5 items I think if you don’t pay which is so annoying!

Adding my endorsement of Nutracheck. I particularly like the function to add your own recipes to your account (paid function of course). I paid £23 for the year which I do find worth it.

Had a wobble last night. On the week of my period so feeling tired and a bit rubbish. Had a homemade cupcake my friend gave me and was craving tortilla chips. Was sensible and measured out a 30g portion instead of half the bag 🙄 Of course ended up feeling a bit queasy so wasn't worth it in the end. Will try to remember that for the next time I have a craving.

Weigh in day tomorrow but still a bit bloated thanks to the monthly bleed 😬 Hoping to at least maintain my weight this week.

Also putting in my endorsement :) I used to use MFP but found it really inaccurate and somewhat tedious. Nutracheck sometimes has its moments where it isn't quite matching what the packet says, but I find this to be really rare compared to how often it was on MFP.

I also love their meals function as was mentioned above, and the nice thing about it is that recipes can be adjusted etc after being input so you can change your logging if you decide to go for more or less than you stated the portion size to be.

Weight tracking is also quite informative and you can add extra stats to your log. I really like the 'goal weight predicted by' feature as I find it really motivated to know I'm on track.

Adding my endorsement of Nutracheck. I particularly like the function to add your own recipes to your account (paid function of course). I paid £23 for the year which I do find worth it.

Had a wobble last night. On the week of my period so feeling tired and a bit rubbish. Had a homemade cupcake my friend gave me and was craving tortilla chips. Was sensible and measured out a 30g portion instead of half the bag 🙄 Of course ended up feeling a bit queasy so wasn't worth it in the end. Will try to remember that for the next time I have a craving.

Weigh in day tomorrow but still a bit bloated thanks to the monthly bleed 😬 Hoping to at least maintain my weight this week.
Periods are truly a witch! Hope your weigh in goes well and remember it's a bit out of your control this week, and next week will be better :)

• Heart
Reactions: 3
New here 👋 had a bit of a wake up call this afternoon with how shocking my diet is and how much weight I've gained. Currently going through a pregnancy loss so comfort eating is rife right now and I need to sort it before it gets out of control. Downloaded the trackers again on my phone along with workout apps. My Samsung Watch seems to need charging every evening, surely that's not right? Also, what does everyone think of BMI calculators? 🤔

• Heart
Reactions: 12
My Fitbit died two days ago.. should I be worried 🙃🙃

New here 👋 had a bit of a wake up call this afternoon with how shocking my diet is and how much weight I've gained. Currently going through a pregnancy loss so comfort eating is rife right now and I need to sort it before it gets out of control. Downloaded the trackers again on my phone along with workout apps. My Samsung Watch seems to need charging every evening, surely that's not right? Also, what does everyone think of BMI calculators? 🤔
I’m so so sorry to hear this, I hope you’re not in too much pain. Take it easy 🤗
I think most watches do need charging daily, I know apple watches do anyway. I’ve found that BMI is not a bad place to start off with 😊

Reactions: 2
So 2 weeks ago, I was 13st4lb
I'm currently 13st6.4lb 🙇🏽‍♀️
My head just isn't in it right now and it's so frustrating. Plus I'm waiting for my period which won't help.

• Heart
I’ve rejoined SlimmingWorld. I joined in 2016 after my first baby and lost 2 and 1/2 stone so I’m hoping it works again. I just don’t think I any good at being accountable to myself and I need the fear of the weigh in to motivate me.
I’m back up to 14stone so hoping to drop 1/2 stone by Christmas which would be 1lb a week.

I have a question about calorie counting. I've avoided it because I had disordered eating issues for the better part of my life and I'm worried it'll make me obsess about food and relapse again, but I also see that many people actually found it to be a way of learning more about food and their needs in general.

My question is, how to do determine how many calories you actually need in a day? Do you weigh and calculate everything and how long did it take for you to be able to eyeball things without a scale and calculator? How do you distribute your calories during the day in terms of meals? I've googled but I keep getting generic website answers and it doesn't really help.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.