Weight Loss and Healthy Living #9 Tattlers Transformation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve calorie counted on and off for years although there are people on here who are way better and more successful than me at doing it. However it has given me a better understanding of food. I would look at a piece of cake and think it’s 150 calories but with CC I’d understand it’s more like 250! I was eating a tea cake thinking it was about 100 cals and checked and it was 180!
TDEE calculators are the best way to start with to give you an idea of what you should be aiming for but even CC is a best estimate. Without working to all out in a lab it’s impossible to log everything accurately or even know exactly how much energy you burn each day but it’s a good estimate which does work if you stick to it (my main problem).
You could just start by logging your food and understanding what you eat without eating in a deficit.
There are some very lovely people on here who I am
sure can give better advice than me, but even not doing it strictly I’ve found it useful as I generally underestimate cals in food which I am more aware of now.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Small win for the week (I'm defo clutching at straws with this one though!)

On a bad week, my go-to 'treat' aka binge on a Friday is a hot choc from the costa machine at Sainsburys, plus a 5 pack of cookies and I'll scoff the lot on the way to work. Today I only got the costa and chose a flat white (which I think is about90 cals) but checks all the tickboxes for a milky hit!

Reactions: 10
I have a question about calorie counting. I've avoided it because I had disordered eating issues for the better part of my life and I'm worried it'll make me obsess about food and relapse again, but I also see that many people actually found it to be a way of learning more about food and their needs in general.

My question is, how to do determine how many calories you actually need in a day? Do you weigh and calculate everything and how long did it take for you to be able to eyeball things without a scale and calculator? How do you distribute your calories during the day in terms of meals? I've googled but I keep getting generic website answers and it doesn't really help.
I think one of the biggest issues people have is that portion sizes on packaging bear no resemblance to what an average person would consider adequate. If portion sizes were more realistic, people would be better able to gauge how much they are eating generally.

Reactions: 3
@Thank(space)you I always write off the week of my period. My bloat gets even worse plus the body is working hard this week. There's a really good book about menstrual cycles that categorises each week into a season. So the week of your period is classed as winter which should be a time for rest and recharging. The week afterwards is spring where you should hopefully feel better and have more energy. Then comes summer and autumn. There's probably sources out there that explain it better than me but it does tie in with how I feel personally!

Hopped on the scales this morning and have managed to lose 1lb this week. I have had a couple of food wobbles due to the good old menstrual cycle but trying hard to reign it in. Nutracheck reckons I'll be at my first milestone by the end of December but Christmas is coming up 😬

My current mantra is not to each like every day is Christmas Day. But what happens when it is bloody Christmas?? 😂

Weight last week: 15st2lbs
Weigh in today: 15stone1lb
Current milestone: 14 stone 1lb

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Well bugger it. I had my stitches out today. Several hours later it came apart. They are not re-stitching as it is not bad but I should really not over do things until it has healed.

So much for a fresh start this week.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Gave in. Went for a little ride. Only 5 miles and on road so not too bumpy. Can feel my shoulder but think it was OK.

Morning all!

Here's a question: are foldable treadmills worth it?

Been thinking about how to fit exercise into my day and I'm thinking walking on a treadmill whilst watching evening TV is probably the easiest way to incorporate it into my day. Going out to exercise isn't always an option thanks to having young children and an OH that works long hours away from home. We don't have space for a treadmill to sit out all the time but a foldable one might be a good option.

Morning all!

Been thinking about how to fit exercise into my day and I'm thinking walking on a treadmill whilst watching evening TV is probably the easiest way to incorporate it into my day. Going out to exercise isn't always an option thanks to having young children and an OH that works long hours away from home. We don't have space for a treadmill to sit out all the time but a foldable one might be a good option.
I have an exercise bike in my conservatory. YouTube has bike ride/ walking videos, I ride along to different videos, I've been through Italy, Central Park, little UK villages. I love it 😊 Sounds like a good idea to me.

Reactions: 4
Morning all!

They are deffo worth it so handy for storage and I have been using it far more than I would going to the gym - I watch Netflix whilst getting my steps in lol

Reactions: 1
Morning all!

I have a similar question but for under desk treadmills! I wfh at least 2 days a week and have a standing desk so would love to be stepping away… lots of very mixed reviews and price points out there and I don’t want to waste my money.

Morning all!

We got a brilliant one off ebay during lockdown so I could shift the baby weight. I can post the link if you want (and if I'm allowed)?

Just a word of warning, exercise equipment does have weight limits and some are ridiculously low. Check this before you buy anything.

New here 👋 had a bit of a wake up call this afternoon with how shocking my diet is and how much weight I've gained. Currently going through a pregnancy loss so comfort eating is rife right now and I need to sort it before it gets out of control. Downloaded the trackers again on my phone along with workout apps. My Samsung Watch seems to need charging every evening, surely that's not right? Also, what does everyone think of BMI calculators? 🤔
Hey, first of all I’m really sorry for your loss. I hope you are managing ok.

my Fitbit needs changing every 2 days and I hear the Apple Watch is every day, so I wouldn’t imagine everyday is unusual. I take BMI calculators with a pinch of salt as it doesn’t take into account muscle mass etc.

I downloaded the peloton app and have done quite a few workouts on there. Today I did a strengthening session, walking, and bike. Thank you to those who recommended the walking videos to me! they’ve actually been really helpful.

I weighed myself this morning and I am 100kg. Only 2kg more to get to the highest weight I have ever been 😩 I need to try really hard now. I’m aiming to lose 1kg a week, which would mean I would have lost a stone by Xmas. I’m going to keep up the exercise and try and eat better. I mentioned before I am in a mental health hospital so the food is cooked for me, but I spoke to the OT and she said I can use the patient kitchen to make my meals which is brilliant. I’ve got chilli planned for tomorrow and am cooking on Friday too. The dietician here recommended I eat a low GI diet as I have polycystic ovarian syndrome but I’m not quite sure what that means. I’ve bought a couple of cookbooks but you need a lot of ingredients for most of the recipes. It’s like slimming world all over again!

If anyone does have any GI recipes please let me know 😁 we will get there

Hey, first of all I’m really sorry for your loss. I hope you are managing ok.

my Fitbit needs changing every 2 days and I hear the Apple Watch is every day, so I wouldn’t imagine everyday is unusual. I take BMI calculators with a pinch of salt as it doesn’t take into account muscle mass etc.

I downloaded the peloton app and have done quite a few workouts on there. Today I did a strengthening session, walking, and bike. Thank you to those who recommended the walking videos to me! they’ve actually been really helpful.

I weighed myself this morning and I am 100kg. Only 2kg more to get to the highest weight I have ever been 😩 I need to try really hard now. I’m aiming to lose 1kg a week, which would mean I would have lost a stone by Xmas. I’m going to keep up the exercise and try and eat better. I mentioned before I am in a mental health hospital so the food is cooked for me, but I spoke to the OT and she said I can use the patient kitchen to make my meals which is brilliant. I’ve got chilli planned for tomorrow and am cooking on Friday too. The dietician here recommended I eat a low GI diet as I have polycystic ovarian syndrome but I’m not quite sure what that means. I’ve bought a couple of cookbooks but you need a lot of ingredients for most of the recipes. It’s like slimming world all over again!

If anyone does have any GI recipes please let me know 😁 we will get there
The doctor's kitchen do weekly meal plans which are low carb with shopping lists. I get the impression you get 2 to 4 weeks worth free and then you have to pay but I've not looked into it yet. I need to print off the one they sent me (if I can find it on my phone 😄)

Oh wow there are some lovely looking recipes on there! Going to try a few.
I subscribed with my email address and a few days later I got a weekly food plan of meals with shopping list etc. Tried to post to Tattle but wasn't successful. Going to try and remember to print it off so I can do some of the meals 😁

Just come across this on my liked videos. Think it's the same doctor who did the meal plan on the This Morning programme.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.