Weight Loss and Healthy Living #7 Tattlers Transformation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've had various GPs in varying levels of usefulness over the years. Not one has ever recommended WW or SW, though, if you were considering those. And none have said a bean about Fast 800 or IF, either - I think they're very cynical of any of the highly marketed programmes because they see the long term effects. None have had much good to say about Weight Loss Surgery, either - their opinion is that it causes permanent problems and most patients end up finding ways to undo the initial weightloss, just with huge stomach and nutritional issues to contend with on top. One was supportive of a friend doing strict keto, but he was supermorbidly obese, diabetic, blind and desperately needed to keep his sugars down due to developing peripheral neuropathy, so didn't really have any other alternatives.

There's also why you've overeaten. Is it that food is love or happiness? Could it be to put creepy men off? Is it pyschologically 'swallowing down' frustration, resentment and a desire to run away from a suffocating atmosphere/life? Is it a lack of understanding and it's the way you've been taught to behave around food? Understanding your feelings is very helpful.

When it comes down to it, though, why not start by tracking what you actually eat each day without judgement or restriction, just to see where you're at right now? Do it for a couple of weeks or a month and it'll take some of the guilt out, because you'll be able to see what you could adjust without too much pain and any pinch points, such as not having something in the morning and then overcompensating with high calorie, low nutrition stuff in the evening, changing to having something nutritious every morning to make lunch and tea less urgent/desperately cramming something in to counteract lack of energy? For probably months, you'll be able to lose weight eating significantly more than somebody much smaller would, as you're moving more weight around all the time.

Exercise is great, as that helps to address your mood and how you feel physically; it's not for weightloss in itself. You'll need very good trainers to align your body correctly and possibly orthotics, as you're likely to be dropping your ankles in and putting strain on your shins, knees, hips, lower back, upper back and neck. And any movement is exercise. Gives you daylight, too - which is great for your mood, sleep and energy.

Compressive leggings and tops feel good, too. And you might feel slightly less likely to have very high calorie stuff if you're wearing a pair of sports legging than faded saggy ones.

Vitamins are important - Vitamin D particularly. I had high strength Vitamin D to get my levels up and then a standard fizzy vitamin (Redoxon have a wider range than Berocca) to keep them higher; means I have something that tastes very much like cheap, fizzy orange pop, too.

Other than that, if you do move on to losing weight, I would say that you go through stages of squishiness. Sometimes it all seems flabby and awful, then it firms up a bit again.

It's not a speed race. Unlike a 200m sprint where you can start off really fast and then you're dying before you're halfway down the straight, it's more like an ultramarathon, where the important things are to keep going and keep eating - and enjoying the scenery whilst you're at it.
Thank you so much for this.
I lost three stone a few years ago through calorie counting and exercise so I know the principle.. but unfortunately since having my daughter I use a lack of time as an excuse. I know where I'm going wrong and that's just through laziness really and the fact that food is the highlight of my day (well, that and my little girl!)
I can do relatively healthy main meals, but my downfall is snacks. And takeaways. We have at least one a week, something I never used to do before we had a baby. I seem to have a never-ending appetite and can out-eat pretty much anyone. I don't know when to stop! And then I regret it and hate myself, I literally feel disgusting, but the cycle keeps repeating. I wish I'd never got to this size, my mum is really worried about me not being around to see my daughter grow up and that upsets me :cry:

Anyway I am just venting now, I just need to get on with it and stick to a plan!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Thank you so much for this.
I lost three stone a few years ago through calorie counting and exercise so I know the principle.. but unfortunately since having my daughter I use a lack of time as an excuse. I know where I'm going wrong and that's just through laziness really and the fact that food is the highlight of my day (well, that and my little girl!)
I can do relatively healthy main meals, but my downfall is snacks. And takeaways. We have at least one a week, something I never used to do before we had a baby. I seem to have a never-ending appetite and can out-eat pretty much anyone. I don't know when to stop! And then I regret it and hate myself, I literally feel disgusting, but the cycle keeps repeating. I wish I'd never got to this size, my mum is really worried about me not being around to see my daughter grow up and that upsets me :cry:

Anyway I am just venting now, I just need to get on with it and stick to a plan!
Have you tried doing "volume meals"? Its when you bulk up your meals with vegetables, so it feels like a really big meal but low in calories. thats what im doing at the moment as I'm trying to get over the binge eating habit I got into over lockdowns.
if you have reddit maybe you can join the volume meals sub reddit? or just google it for ideas.

but it has helped me feel like I can have a big meal when in reality its like normal amount of calories in it. because I also have a very big appetite and can out-eat anyone lol 🥲

also maybe your first go to should be to cut out snacks, or try eating very small snacks? if thats your downfall, maybe try eating fruit for snacks and then at some point you might not even want them. I don't like snacks I always like to just have bigger main meals, and when I read I should have fruit or nuts for a snack it became a lot more boring and I didn't want them anymore lol

Reactions: 5
Have you tried doing "volume meals"? Its when you bulk up your meals with vegetables, so it feels like a really big meal but low in calories. thats what im doing at the moment as I'm trying to get over the binge eating habit I got into over lockdowns.
if you have reddit maybe you can join the volume meals sub reddit? or just google it for ideas.

but it has helped me feel like I can have a big meal when in reality its like normal amount of calories in it. because I also have a very big appetite and can out-eat anyone lol 🥲

also maybe your first go to should be to cut out snacks, or try eating very small snacks? if thats your downfall, maybe try eating fruit for snacks and then at some point you might not even want them. I don't like snacks I always like to just have bigger main meals, and when I read I should have fruit or nuts for a snack it became a lot more boring and I didn't want them anymore lol
Also an underutilised resource is pulses, they are your best friends when it comes to adding bulk and protein for very few calories.
Plus exercise doesn't have to be anything more than deciding that you can walk instead of driving. I started questioning whether I needed to drive somewhere as it had been automatic to just jump in the car. by asking myself 'Do I need to drive there or can I walk? I found 80% of the time the answer was I can walk.

Reactions: 4
Ok so this is prob my third time posting this in this thread but I HAVE to start losing weight. I have just been back of a short holiday and it has really opened my eyes. I have never in my life been this weight. I’m 17 st 2.4 lbs. And I feel it with every step I take.
I panicked a few times on holiday because the underground seats and theatre seats are so small, I thought I was going to get stuck in them, they were so tight and uncomfortable. My legs had the worst chaffing and come day 3 I couldn’t walk anymore
I don’t have a mirror in my house, only a small one for my face so seeing my recent full body pics have left me baffled and shocked at how large I am.
I am dead worried of getting any diseases related to being overweight.

For the past few years I have been trying to stick to a plan but I can’t manage more then a week. A few years back I did really well with ww and lost 5 stone but their programmes have changed since. I find ww very restrictive and cant even indulge in my daily costa coffee I make at home. But when I calorie count, my snack intake is the highest of them all. I don’t know wether I’m trying to find excuses and the diet that best suits my snack obsession but I also like hello fresh at the moment and some meals are 18 sp on ww but only 500 cal. I just don’t know what to do anymore

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Ok so this is prob my third time posting this in this thread but I HAVE to start losing weight. I have just been back of a short holiday and it has really opened my eyes. I have never in my life been this weight. I’m 17 st 2.4 lbs. And I feel it with every step I take.
I panicked a few times on holiday because the underground seats and theatre seats are so small, I thought I was going to get stuck in them, they were so tight and uncomfortable. My legs had the worst chaffing and come day 3 I couldn’t walk anymore
I don’t have a mirror in my house, only a small one for my face so seeing my recent full body pics have left me baffled and shocked at how large I am.
I am dead worried of getting any diseases related to being overweight.

For the past few years I have been trying to stick to a plan but I can’t manage more then a week. A few years back I did really well with ww and lost 5 stone but their programmes have changed since. I find ww very restrictive and cant even indulge in my daily costa coffee I make at home. But when I calorie count, my snack intake is the highest of them all. I don’t know wether I’m trying to find excuses and the diet that best suits my snack obsession but I also like hello fresh at the moment and some meals are 18 sp on ww but only 500 cal. I just don’t know what to do anymore
Maybe start by tracking your usual/average daily cals, then knock 200-300 cals off to begin with. Don’t try starting everything at once as it’s overwhelming. Once you’re used to your new cals, change it up again with healthier recipes or adding in some gentle exercise. You will get there, just take it one day at a time.
I can’t remember where I first heard this comparison, but weight loss is like removing one piece of toilet paper from a roll each day. After a week it doesn’t look much different, but after a year you will see a change 😊

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Maybe start by tracking your usual/average daily cals, then knock 200-300 cals off each day. Don’t try starting everything at once as it’s overwhelming. Once you’re used to your new cals, change it up again with healthier recipes or adding in some gentle exercise. You will get there, just take it one day at a time. I can’t remember where I first heard this comparison, but weight loss is like removing one piece of toilet paper from a roll each day. After a week it doesn’t look much different, but after a year you will see a change 😊
I like that comparison

Reactions: 6
Going back to the office in a few weeks, and I realised I had to buy new work clothes. Shopping for them has really been an eye opener just to how much my body has changed! Just threw away my size 12 trousers and replaced them with a size 6! I can see the progress so much more when I dress in clothes that aren’t leggings and a baggy hoodie

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 7

The new model placed the blame for the obesity epidemic on "modern dietary patterns characterised by excessive consumption of foods with a high glycaemic load: in particular, processed, rapidly digestible carbohydrates".

"These foods cause hormonal responses that fundamentally change our metabolism, driving fat storage, weight gain, and obesity," according to the model.

"When we eat highly processed carbohydrates, the body increases insulin secretion and suppresses glucagon secretion. This, in turn, signals fat cells to store more calories, leaving fewer calories available to fuel muscles and other metabolically active tissues.

"The brain perceives that the body isn't getting enough energy, which, in turn, leads to feelings of hunger. In addition, metabolism may slow down in the body's attempt to conserve fuel. Thus, we tend to remain hungry, even as we continue to gain excess fat."
Hi all 😊. I'm a typical yo-yo dieter for 40 years or so, lose 2 stone & put 3 back on, lost count of all the wagons I've fallen off! Weight getting higher each year, did manage to lose 6 stone about 15 years ago, but did it by a punishment method eating little & over exercising, crashed & burned badly after that one 😔

Anyhoo, now past 50 years young, very depressed, no mobility due to issues after surgery a few years earlier & at my heaviest ever July 2020, covid obesity risk on the news every day, just knew I had to try one last time to help myself...

That info above has been a life saver! Wished I'd known years ago but there's so much more research backing the low carb way of eating now. I've lost 6 stone without exercise, no cravings after the first couple of weeks & I'm rarely hungry. Low carb foods are so filling & I added intermittent fasting after a couple of months, nothing extreme, just a 6-8 hour daily window for eating.

I could easily eat & eat & eat but never feel satisfied on sugar & processed foods, quite scary now looking back. Eat anything in moderation really doesn't work for some of us & trying to, just set me up for failure until now. Addiction response to certain foods is very real!

I only count carbs & protein now & weigh myself twice a month, clothes are a much better indicator. I still have a way to go & loss has slowed down these last few months, only to be expected, but I'll keep going at 3-5lbs a month. My GP is happy with what I'm doing & a lot more are coming on board with this way of loss.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Hi all 😊. I'm a typical yo-yo dieter for 40 years or so, lose 2 stone & put 3 back on, lost count of all the wagons I've fallen off! Weight getting higher each year, did manage to lose 6 stone about 15 years ago, but did it by a punishment method eating little & over exercising, crashed & burned badly after that one 😔

Anyhoo, now past 50 years young, very depressed, no mobility due to issues after surgery a few years earlier & at my heaviest ever July 2020, covid obesity risk on the news every day, just knew I had to try one last time to help myself...

That info above has been a life saver! Wished I'd known years ago but there's so much more research backing the low carb way of eating now. I've lost 6 stone without exercise, no cravings after the first couple of weeks & I'm rarely hungry. Low carb foods are so filling & I added intermittent fasting after a couple of months, nothing extreme, just a 6-8 hour daily window for eating.

I could easily eat & eat & eat but never feel satisfied on sugar & processed foods, quite scary now looking back. Eat anything in moderation really doesn't work for some of us & trying to, just set me up for failure until now. Addiction response to certain foods is very real!

I only count carbs & protein now & weigh myself twice a month, clothes are a much better indicator. I still have a way to go & loss has slowed down these last few months, only to be expected, but I'll keep going at 3-5lbs a month. My GP is happy with what I'm doing & a lot more are coming on board with this way of loss.
I spent a couple of hours this morning reading the pros and cons of low carb dieting and the more I read the more confusing it became. What is your daily menu ? I read one on the previous page but I could not live eating just cheese and meat and veg soup etc. I can go days withou eating bread and pasta so that would not bother me but am going to do some more reading and try and sort it out.

Reactions: 3
I spent a couple of hours this morning reading the pros and cons of low carb dieting and the more I read the more confusing it became. What is your daily menu ? I read one on the previous page but I could not live eating just cheese and meat and veg soup etc. I can go days withou eating bread and pasta so that would not bother me but am going to do some more reading and try and sort it out.
I'm keto most days so lots of eggs, cold & cooked meats with salad or broccoli, cauliflower or peppers. Greek yoghurt with berries or plain chocolate with a few pecans or walnuts.

Lots of free info on foods & recipes, they do a paid support plan too www.dietdoctor.com

also https://phcuk.org/healthy-eating-gu...9.1600644766.1632568133-1937940895.1632568133

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Going to join this thread. I'm just staring to feel uncomfortable in my body. My dad commented on my weight again which was the trigger.

I comfort eat and it helps avoid difficult feelings.

I don't have a scale. It might just be wishful thinking, but I don't think I'm back to my heaviest weight yet which I was around 7 years ago- I lost 32lbs.

I used to go to the gym 5-6 days a week pre covid and my mental health was so much better when I was running, but I'm nowhere near that level anymore. Not sure if I'm making the right choice but I don't want to join a gym straight away.

This week I did start just going for short walks and they've been longer around an hour for the past two days. Going to start diet change from tomorrow.

Reactions: 11
After two weeks off celebrating family birthdays, I'm back on it. Had a sneaky look at the scales and I've managed to maintain at 15.1 👍

I'm within sight of my pre-pregnancy weight which wasn't great but I'm determined to hit that over the next couple of weeks. Hoping to also hit a 2 stone loss before Christmas and start 2022 in a fitter state.

Mr Biscuits is away this week so just need to restrain myself and stick to no snacks in the house!

Reactions: 10
I can’t leave it any longer, I’m starting to be in more pain than normal so I have to admit I need to lose weight. So I’m calorie counting again from today. I have sooo far to go, it seems impossible, but I’m determined to improve my health!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Not weighing for a while as I feel quite good but damn do I feel hungry… i had a roast yesterday - decent size and about 2 hours later I was raaaavenous
Same again this morning, had oats and pb at 8am and by 10 I could have gone again

I don’t think oats fill my very much and I’m going to focus on fuller meals rather than like 6 snacky meals
Just bizarre

Not weighing for a while as I feel quite good but damn do I feel hungry… i had a roast yesterday - decent size and about 2 hours later I was raaaavenous
Same again this morning, had oats and pb at 8am and by 10 I could have gone again

I don’t think oats fill my very much and I’m going to focus on fuller meals rather than like 6 snacky meals
Just bizarre
Oats don't fill me up much either. they used to fill me up when I didn't measure how much I was putting in the pan, but now that I'm measuring because I'm calorie counting I realised I used to eat like 100g and was stuffed for hours 😅
You could try adding protein powder to the oats?

I've switched to having a protein/fat based breakfast and it keeps me more satisfied than oats

Oats don't fill me up much either. they used to fill me up when I didn't measure how much I was putting in the pan, but now that I'm measuring because I'm calorie counting I realised I used to eat like 100g and was stuffed for hours 😅
You could try adding protein powder to the oats?

I've switched to having a protein/fat based breakfast and it keeps me more satisfied than oats
I agree, I think I am quite sensitive to carbs (I’ve done my research and as a student in sports science this is very interesting to me lol) some people react in a way that you wouldn’t expect to low GI foods - usually carbs like oats slow that spike in blood sugar, meaning the hunger hormone ghrelin stays at bay for a bit longer. But if like me, it actually has an opposite affect and spikes it anyway so for me carbs aren’t my bff unfortunately:(

I have sooo far to go, it seems impossible, but I’m determined to improve my health!
It’s horrible, the feeling like you’re on an uphill struggle ☹ But last January I wouldn’t believe I could be where I am now, just a little bit every week really does add up. A friend of mine says it takes three weeks to form new habits, so try to stick with it for as long as you can and it will soon be a part of your routine 🤞🏻

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.