Weight Loss and Healthy Living #5 Tattlers Transformation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello all,
I’m new to the thread and very new to calorie counting!
Im a past SW-er with a tendency to binge eat after restricting myself so much.. hoping to gain a better relationship with food and have fun whilst doing so!

Any tips or advice welcome! Starting a whole new concept of eating is really scary!!

Reactions: 6
I've just restarted Couch to 5K and really feeling it in my shins which I've never felt before. Any tips? I have good trainers etc

So many variables there!

Your trainers could be worn out and too loose for you, so your heel is slipping in them. You might overpronate, which means your foot is wobbling around in them and putting stress on the tibia. You might be landing very heavy footed. Your hip, thigh, lower leg, ankle and foot muscles might be underconditioned/weak/tight which means you aren't lifting high enough to land softly and pushing too hard with your feet to lift off again. You could also be overtightening your laces to keep them on your feet, which restricts blood flow and easy movement (or undertightening so they aren't staying on securely). Or the surface you are running on is either too hard/the shoes aren't cushioned enough for you or it's too uneven, so you're constantly putting stress on trying to stay upright. Or you're pushing too hard too soon and need to look at your running biomechanics. Or a mixture of all of these...

I'd suggest spending about twenty quid on a set of arch support inserts - the inside of your shoes, if they're actually meant for running, should remove to let you put them in instead. And doing leg/foot/ankle strengthening exercises plus REST.

No idea on weight because TOTM got in the way last week and I don't enjoy seeing the numbers rise. Will probably do it tomorrow morning.

However, have done a few plods around the rec and got Mr D into the gym, where I found out he doesn't actually know how to use 90% of the equipment. No sign of any spare staff, so the gym ended up with what looked like probably the fattest PT in the known universe. Thought I'd start him off gently with rowing for five minutes, as it was quiet in that corner and they're my preferred cardio. It went well - he got the idea of the catch-drive-finish-recovery. And then thought 'OK, legs...'. Yeah.

Turns out that men really don't see the abductor/adductor machines as something hard until they actually use them. I tried to tell him to use zero added weight, but he was convinced he could do it with 25kg. Ha ha ha ha ha. By the time I'd introduced to bicep and tricep isolation and lat pulldowns, I decided we probably needed to hit the Concept 2 for another five minutes and finish before I ended up bringing him home in a shopping trolley.

Then did a Sunday morning plod where we both definitely ran more than previously and back via the amazing, fresh food galore, Polski Sklep for some sourdough to go with scrambled eggs and frozen fruit for later. At which point, he crashed out for two hours before deciding we were having my preferred options for dinner of 'meat 'n' leaves' (which actually means leanish protein source, lots of greenery, assorted salad or other vegetables and 4/5 new potatoes).

Rest/Work Day today, though. Weirdly had random people coming up to say it looked like the time off had done me good - either I looked terrible 18 days ago when I was last in work, or the very limited amount of going out in daylight hours has changed my Covid Year pastiness into some of my millions of freckles darkening a bit. Although I did get busted by one of the PE staff when she clocked my shoes, as I walked in wearing my new On Cloudflyers - YOU'RE RUNNING, AREN'T YOU?

Going to meet him at the gym from work tomorrow - he's even packing his bag now. I am hoping that he is comfortable going on his own as well in the next week or so, as whilst it's all nice to have company and help him, in all honesty, I just want to zone out and get on with it. But twice a week gym and a weekend plod seems to work at the moment - start small and manageable, eat a bit better, see how far that takes us. Hopefully to the point at which I can get seventy quid's worth of use out of my originally desired posh gym whilst he stays at the exercise Poundshop.

Hello all,
I’m new to the thread and very new to calorie counting!
Im a past SW-er with a tendency to binge eat after restricting myself so much.. hoping to gain a better relationship with food and have fun whilst doing so!

Any tips or advice welcome! Starting a whole new concept of eating is really scary!!

I went to one SW meeting with a friend years ago - we had a ten minute lecture about how terrible cheese was and we should never let it pass our lips (despite the benefit from satiating protein, calcium and the fact that it both tastes bloody amazing and if you add some to a salad, you won't be starving again in ten minutes). But a 'cheesy' branded lasagne was fine, as was more pasta than could be eaten by half of Genoa in one serving. It was all about restricting food groups and an open invitation to binge on other things, which isn't healthy behaviour. But it guarantees most people who leave will be back again, as they start eating all the things they were told not to eat as well as having fucktonnes of 'free' stuff, put it all back on plus some and go back to the cult again.

What works for me is to do the exact opposite to WW/SW and the like. No points/limits or weird processed branded meals that don't fill the gap. Just track at first. It means you begin to see how much you eat, what you eat, what energy intake that is and over time, what patterns you see in yourself - like 'Oh, I went full out on Haribo and Pringles there - ah, I had far less the day before and didn't sleep too well - I'll try having a bit more protein/a jacket potato/going to bed a bit earlier/packing a snack/having a bit more for lunch next time' [and you find out that this meant you weren't sad and tired and mainlining sugar, salt and fat the following teatime]. I'm relearning what foods make me feel good - which are far more varied than any of the points plans allow for, especially as they make things that are easy to overeat free or low points values when they've got a branding or marketing deal attached to the product. And it means I'm focusing on how I feel, so if I know I feel x, I've got a fairly good idea what I actually need at that point, rather than interpreting it as 'tit! Eat! Eat! Eat! EAT!' and still feel crap afterwards. And exercise does make you feel good - that's more important that it being a weightloss method in my opinion - feeling happier and stronger means you're less likely to want to eat your feelings or swallow them down to stop you from screaming. After all, when you feel terrible, low, lethargic, bloated and sad/frustrated/angry/upset, it's punishment, self sabotage and a full, sleepy carb dish that appeals. Because people eat to anaesthetise their emotions, not to feel more, in those situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
A victory today: I managed to do a strength work out after not being able to lift my arm properly from having my vaccine Friday. I struggled a bit but carried on and sweat it out. I so struggle to exercise in the heat because I sweat soooo much which makes me enjoy it a bit less.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Hi all 👋🏼
I'm back after falling off the wagon spectacularly!
Long story short a handful of our friends and a few family members have announced pregnancies. While I am absolutely thrilled for them all, we've had a very long fertility battle so I took the news pretty hard and unfortunately stuffed my face to make myself feel better 🤣🤦🏻‍♀️

Back to calorie counting today and it's been a good first day, I'm full and stuck to my calories 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I am totally fed up and sorry whinge and repeat same issues.
Scales has varied different weights last 4 days.
Got back down to 12stone 10lb and 2 days later in 12 12 again.
It is that time of month but feel like spent last 4 weeks boucing back up and sow between 12 9 and 12 12..
Most days cals been good below tdee maintainance not always exactly 500 under as had some rough days personal life which led me go over.
Activity im managing 10k plus steps least 6 days out of 7.

I eat reasonably healthy in active and in below maintainance.
Husband like maybe you should try a stricter diet..
Just feel so frustrated. Going have week off weighing myself and try not think about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Bless you, it’s so frustrating! I’m in the same boat. I seem to hover over the same weight for week or two, always going a little up or a little down regardless of my efforts. However then I seem to go down by 0.4 or more kg in what feels overnight. That’s exactly what happened in the last 2 months when I went from 71kg to 7.5 and then to 69.9 and yesterday down to 69.55. Just wanted to say, hang in there and keep doing what you are doing and it will pay off eventually. I wouldn’t go on a stricter diet as your hubby says, just do what feels manageable to you right now or you will dvd up in a cycle of underrating and overeating. Sending hugs xx

Yes I would agree with the above, I haven’t seen any real loss since my birthday (start of May) and a week off took me 2 weeks to get back to normal. Then had two meals out, again took me a week to get back to normal. I have then stuck rigidly to plan for two weeks and only in the last two days have I seen a considerable amount of weight loss, I think part of it was hormonal but now the totm has finished I’ve finally had a whoosh. Just in time for a weekend off in London 🤦🏻‍♀️ I will be eating what I want and know I’ll get my 10k plus steps in but I will be making time to exercise on a holiday for the first time ever 😂 I don’t want the time before reaching my target to slip any further.. I should have been there at the end of June 😭

Bless you, it’s so frustrating! I’m in the same boat. I seem to hover over the same weight for week or two, always going a little up or a little down regardless of my efforts. However then I seem to go down by 0.4 or more kg in what feels overnight. That’s exactly what happened in the last 2 months when I went from 71kg to 7.5 and then to 69.9 and yesterday down to 69.55. Just wanted to say, hang in there and keep doing what you are doing and it will pay off eventually. I wouldn’t go on a stricter diet as your hubby says, just do what feels manageable to you right now or you will dvd up in a cycle of underrating and overeating. Sending hugs xx
Thank you I would be happy if even losing 1lb week and going in right direction.
Instead feels like going backwards.
Obviously this week hormones are to blame for 2lb increase in 2 days.
I will keep tracking cals and steps but taking a break from the sad step.

You’re absolutely not whinging @fireflies this is why we’re here, to share all of it the good and the bad. It’s not always easy, it can be really frustrating. Struggling over here myself after doing well for a month or two, just want to eat everything, cant find any motivation to exercise and am up 2lbs. Cut yourself some slack and stop listening to your husband, it sounds like he’s more critical than constructive at times x

Reactions: 8
@fireflies are you sticking to your deficit all week, or are there a lot of days you’re eating at maintenance or over? I’m not sure from your posts
Also, have you tried only weighing yourself once a week? I do find weighing daily can cause havoc, eg if I’m down a bit then I think oh cool I can afford to have a treat today, if I’ve stuck to calories but not seeing a loss then I think oh what’s the point I’ll get a take away. It seems like you need to establish whether the calories you’re eating at is the right amount for a loss and that really means you need to stick to the same number for a week and then see at the end of the week if you’ve lost. If not, then it might be time to re-evaluate the number. Thing is, if you’re eating at maintenance or over a couple of days a week, for my body that would have me maintaining as well. Some people just can’t afford to go over a bit, sadly you might be one of them like me!

Hi ladies!
Reading all your posts and I totally relate. After gaining a lot of weight over the last year due to stress, I felt terrible, so I started changing my eating habits early April. I cut down the foods that I knew were not good for me and left me bloated and feeling no energy at all. I was sticking to it 200%, but every time I weighed myself, I'd feel down about the extremely slow results.
I'm 36 and aware that even though 10 years ago, the results would've been much quicker, things are definitely different.
That being said, I booked an appointment with a nutritionist and even though it's an investement, I'm so so happy I did it. I realised I was doing a few things wrong and in 9 days I lost 2,2Kg whilst when did it on my own, I lost 3Kg in 7 weeks!
I drink a fruit smoothie for breakfast after drinking a glass of water with 1/4 lemon and I swear by it as I'm 100% sure that's what made a huge difference as my main meals are the same. I'd be happy to share the recipe if any of you ladies are interested?
Overall I feel so much happier as I'm much more confident. 😊 I'll have my wedding end of September and I'm so excited!
My advice to you all is to seek a nutritionist help if you can. I'm so glad I did it and will continue doing it for the foreseeable future!

• Heart
I’m feeling so out of control over this weight gain. Because I’m still slim I feel like I can’t bring it up to friends/family without seeming insensitive 😞 Yes I know it’s not the end of the world going from an 8 to a 10 but to me it’s a big deal! My weight has been so steady over the last 5 years and now I feel like it’s just spiralling. I don’t feel like my eating habits have changed that much, but I know it’s probably something that’s been happening slowly over the past year.

I was going through some old clothes earlier and found a skirt I never wore when I bought it in 2018. At the time it was too big for me so I just shoved it in a cupboard thinking one day I’d alter it. I just tried it on and it’s now too tight 😭 I think I needed the shock to push me a bit more. The problem is as they always say when you get older you have to chose body or face, I’m only 32 but I feel when I’m slimmer my face looks older and more gaunt. When I have a bit of weight on I actually prefer my face… I just can’t live with this belly! It’s one or the other😅 and at the moment I think I’d rather look skinny and old than chunky and young… but I’ll probably change my mind again. Grass is always greener!

• Sad
  • Heart
Afternoon guys and gals. I’ve got quite a few pages to catch up but I remember a while back a couple of you mentioned an online work out programme. I have Jennifer Genovi but google is goving me nothing - any one know what I’m talking about? 😂 xx

Reactions: 1
I’m feeling so out of control over this weight gain. Because I’m still slim I feel like I can’t bring it up to friends/family without seeming insensitive 😞 Yes I know it’s not the end of the world going from an 8 to a 10 but to me it’s a big deal! My weight has been so steady over the last 5 years and now I feel like it’s just spiralling. I don’t feel like my eating habits have changed that much, but I know it’s probably something that’s been happening slowly over the past year.

I was going through some old clothes earlier and found a skirt I never wore when I bought it in 2018. At the time it was too big for me so I just shoved it in a cupboard thinking one day I’d alter it. I just tried it on and it’s now too tight 😭 I think I needed the shock to push me a bit more. The problem is as they always say when you get older you have to chose body or face, I’m only 32 but I feel when I’m slimmer my face looks older and more gaunt. When I have a bit of weight on I actually prefer my face… I just can’t live with this belly! It’s one or the other😅 and at the moment I think I’d rather look skinny and old than chunky and young… but I’ll probably change my mind again. Grass is always greener!
It's the age old dilemma, keep the face or keep the figure.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
I have eaten really well since Saturday. Under cals and upped my protein so felt super full and got nowhere near my maintenance, had lost 3lbs this morning since Saturday, it was going so well then this morning got up and it’s like a switch in my brain- cupcake with morning tea 🙈. I did pull it back with healthy porridge, but then all hell broke loose at home, both toddler and 5yr old crying and wanting me while I try and work and husband hides downstairs (he’s was off today so was on parenting duty!) argh. Ended up at the chippy and had a can of coke and some chocolate. I hang my head in shame.
It’s like my brain is just trying to screw me over all the time. I just wish I could manage more than a few days without not just falling off the wagon, but cartwheeling off it as high speed!

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I’ve also well and truly fallen off the wagon, look and feel an absolute state despite exercising consistently, diet is such a mess though.

decided to start the Cambridge diet and get my packs on Friday, appreciate it’s not popular but tbh I just need a break from food and thinking about it all and I’ve never felt worse then I do right now!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’m struggling. Since Christmas I haven’t really been strict and most definitely not in a deficit. Probably maintenance for most of the time but the past two months have been awful. I’ve been binging so much. I definitely have issues with using food as a coping mechanism.

I haven’t weighed myself as I know it will make me more upset but my jeans certainly don’t fit the same and I’d hazard a guess at about half a stone gain. I know it doesn’t sound much but I’m scared I’m going to continue piling it on. I’m so angry with myself as I was only half a stone off my target at Christmas and now I’m more like a stone.

in the past 2 years I’ve gained and lost the same two 1/2 stone three times. It seems endless.
it feels like I’ll never get a grip on this binge eating. Yesterday I ate around 4000 calories. Yes I’m one of those weirdos that logs binges too! I have to hold myself accountable somehow.

Is anyone else similar ??

Last edited:
I’m struggling. Since Christmas I haven’t really been strict and most definitely not in a deficit. Probably maintenance for most of the time but the past two months have been awful. I’ve been binging so much. I definitely have issues with using food as a coping mechanism.

I haven’t weighed myself as I know it will make me more upset but my jeans certainly don’t fit the same and I’d hazard a guess at about half a stone gain. I know it doesn’t sound much but I’m scared I’m going to continue piling it on. I’m so angry with myself as I was only half a stone off my target at Christmas and now I’m more like a stone.

in the past 2 years I’ve gained and lost the same two 1/2 stone three times. It seems endless.
it feels like I’ll never get a grip on this binge eating. Yesterday I ate around 4000 calories. Yes I’m one of those weirdos that logs binges too! I have to hold myself accountable somehow.

Is anyone else similar ??
Yup! So sick of it now 😭😭

Definitely. It’s too easy to go to the cupboard and eat away any feeling or stress. I’m terrible at hiding food as well, not in an eating disorder way, more that I know if my husbands sees me eating it he will pull me up on it, which is probably what I need but it’s easier to eat it alone then I can pretend the calories don’t count.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.