Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Kikini Bamalam

VIP Member
Sainsbury's have released their christmas food to order and their veg/vegan offerings don't look bad at all. They are Plant Pioneer ones, which I really like anyway. I think i'm going to get the no salmon en croute for christmas eve and the no beef wellington for christmas day with the vegan trimmings. I might even go mad and get the taste the difference truffled cauliflower cheese pie for boxing day (but that is not vegan, only veggie)

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Eurgh

VIP Member
I’m really hoping everything expensive and delicious will be half price everywhere for Veganuary! I plan on filling my freezer with Vivera and Fry’s and all the good stuff.

• Haha
  • Heart

Kit123

VIP Member
Tried the McPlant today, can't really remember what a burger from McDonald's tastes like but it was very good!

orlyb1310

VIP Member
The new vegan chicken royale in burger king is divine. Don't think I've ever had BK before but it was freshly made and really really tasty.

veryfondoftea

VIP Member
I’ve not tried it myself, but I’ve heard the M&S Plant Kitchen Caesar Dressing is really good! I’ve always kept an eye out for it in my local store but they never seem to have it in 💔
Thanks, weirdly I am just outside an m&s so will go and have a look. Would be rude not to pick up a cookie while I’m there too!

• Heart

Bluelipstick

VIP Member
Hi. I picked up a few things I hadn’t seen before in Sainsbury’s today. This isn’t pork sausages which taste delicious and future farm ‘tuna’. I haven’t tried the tuna yet so interested to see how it tastes.
The Leon vegan Mayo is really good as is their burger sauce.
Holy Moly guacamole is out of this world 😋
Alpro my cuppa is my go to milk for tea and coffee.
I’ve been vegetarian 2 years now and I really want to go to a plant based diet. The only thing holding me back is cheese, I just can’t give it up. The vegan cheeses I’ve tried are horrible. Can anyone recommend one that might change my mind?
My advice would be to give up cheese completely just for a while. Vegan cheese isn’t great but once you stop trying to find something exactly like the dairy version I think you can appreciate it it. I didn’t eat vegan cheese for about 6 months because it made me gag 😂 I still don’t love it but it does have its place now.

• Heart

Bluelipstick

VIP Member
What did you get? I want to go at the end of the week when I’ve made room in the fridge 😬 I heard their new pepperoni pizza is really good.

People everywhere moaning about plant-based options like there’s a hostile takeover going on. We’re only just getting a vegan Philadelphia option, calm down 😂
Got the Bakewell cookies, cake in a jar, cookie pots, churros, fish cakes, sweet and Sour no chicken and the cheese twists.

re non veggies getting offended, some guy on Twitter was going off at someone for having a veggie breakfast. He apparently dated a vegetarian and all vegetarian food is bland and mushy. Imagine being that triggered by someone else's breakfast 😂

• Haha
  • Heart

Itsalwayssunny

I am slowly trying to transition my heavy meat eating family to a few meat free days each week. We really liked the green quisine chicken pies and strips, the quorn southern fried chicken burgers. We did not like the plant pioneers meat free burgers 😂

Ooh I didn't know we had a vegan thread. I've been vegan for just over 20 years and I have to say that products and choices nowadays are amazing. Back then it was fairly limited although Linda McCartney and the Fry's family products were available back then. Fry's Schnitzels are lush. Also their 'chicken' strips work really well in stir fry or fajitas. Swedish Glace used to do more flavours too like chocolate and blueberry. They also did strawberry cornetto style cones. Tesco do great cones. Has anyone tried the new Nomo caramel bars? I managed to find a few in Sainsburys and they taste just like what I remember Cadbury's caramel was like.

• Heart

HanB33

This Isn't Chicken Plant-Based Sea-Salt Black Pepper Pieces 190g-1634x1030.png
had this with tea last night and honestly can't believe its not chicken 🤣 I've tried most meat substitutes out there but never had anything like this. Was soooo tasty. I've sent my partner out for atleast 300 more boxes 😋😋😋

• Heart

HinchythetwattyGrinchy

Tried the ‘New York Style No Salt Beef’ sandwich yesterday and hoooooly fuck - it was so worth the £3.50!!! Was never a fan of pickles either but left them in the sandwich, I am now fully converted 🙌🏻 Would definitely recommend.

I also picked up their vegan cheese, it’s lovely! Had some this morning with marmite on toast.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

Eureka

VIP Member
I saw this today and thought you guys might be interested in it. I'm a very new vegetarian, with plans to move into a vegan over time. I don't eat out ever but I guess chefs working harder to come up with new tasty ideas can't be a bad thing. At least new recipes will filter down to manufacturers and blogs?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...-silent-battle-between-vegetarians-and-vegans
I never realised how anti vegan some vegetarians can be until I was on the Quorn FB page last year and they had a post asking for people to post what they would like to see in the shops, someone mentioned vegan mince and it turned into a huge cluster fuck about eggs. So yeah, I'd well believe this.

• Wow

martaS

VIP Member
Had the Papa John's last night, it was ok. The pizza could have been baked for a bit longer, it was a bit pale. I had the vegan garden party. The vegan cheese was OK but nothing special. I actually didn't like the nuggets as much as last year. I think it is because they were one of the very first meat subs I had last year but since I have tried so many more now and love most of Vivera products, my palate has changed? To be honest, they were fine, but similarly to the pizza, could have been cooked for longer. The whole meal was OK but didn't quite hit the spot. We don't have too many takeaways so next time I have some Papa J's, will probably be next January :D
I met up with a friend today and had a McPlant. It made up for last night.
Also, I have been veggie for a year now - go me! 😇 Probably not going vegan any time soon but I am enjoying Veganuary at the moment. Made minestrone couple of times this week and my plan in general is to try and cook more vegan dishes from scratch and not rely on meat replacements all the time. Wish me luck!

• Heart

purple-rain

For non "meat alternatives" for mince I would echo the lentil suggestion. We often have it with walnuts roughly chopped to create a bit of extra texture for the mince. Similar idea with mushrooms and walnuts.
Another suggestion is a mix of chestnuts and mushrooms (Merchant Gourmet do handy packs of pre-cooked chestnuts). I just roughly pulse the two together in my food processor and add it to passata with some dried herbs, balsamic vinegar, paprika, etc. and it makes a lovely sauce with good texture.

• Heart

no-no

VIP Member
I bought this on a whim before (£2.80 Sainsbury’s) and it is amazing. Definitely recommend for umami anything. Had a broccoli and slab of tofu going today and wanted to use them up. Baked the tofu in a blue dragon satay sauce and drizzled this over the veggies and sticky rice - it tasted restaurant-standard 😍 I wish I had leffovers.

1641588260953.jpeg
Picked up the Plant Pioneers chicken slices to try and chow mein ready meal. Nothing is really grabbing me this Veganuary. No more burgers, please 😩 Takeaway is definitely stealing the show vs supermarkets.

• Heart

rivermonster

VIP Member
The smashed Avocado from Aldi is brilliant. There is a plain one and one with a little bit of tomato and pepper in it. No additives. It was on offer this week at about 82p and has 100gms in it. Says on the pack it is equal to a whole avocado.
I am fed up with buying them and they are under ripe or black inside and then the second half is not brilliant the following day. These are ideal.