Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought I'd make a thread to share my favourite plant based products (inspired by @Emmapism). I was vegan for a long time and now I'm vegetarian but mostly plant based.

A few favourites I could start with (I would need some time to make a full list :ROFLMAO:), starting with a few easy to find supermarket items, as opposed to homemade/from scratch:

Cheese - Violife cheese, seems to be the closest taste to real cheese I've found. The grated version is amazing on pizza too.
Sausages - Richmond 8 Meat Free Sausages, closest to meat I've tried.
Burgers and Sausages - Beyond the Burger products are amazing but ££££.
Marks and Spencer's do a range 'Plant Kitchen' where they have vegan 'Chicken' Kiev, nuggets, 'Duck' spring rolls and a lot of vegetable alternatives (cauliflower florets in batter, wraps and more).
Milk - Koko
coconut milk is great in coffee or with cereal, Koko doesn't really have any taste to it so you really can't tell it's coconut.
Milk - Oatly Barista Milk is great in coffee or black tea (shaking it makes it froth like latte milk). They also do an amazing chocolate version.
Yoghurt - Koko again, Beleaf Almond Yogurt, The Coconut Collaborative do amazing yoghurts (chocolate too).
I'd recommend Oatly in general tbh, they do ice cream, custard, various types of milk.
Tofoo Tofu
is great, I've used it to make scrambled tofu in place of eggs, you can by it plain or flavoured now.
Ice cream - Magnum, Oatly as mentioned above, Alpro Hazelnut is outstanding.

Off to make a list of more...if there's an alternative you're looking for please comment and maybe someone knows of one!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
Bird’s Eye Green Cuisine burgers are the best vegan burgers I’ve had in a long time, and they’re great for Keto dieters as they have a lot of protein and are low carb 👍🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Oatly cream is really good too 😊

The Co op GRO burgers from the freezer section are really good! I haven’t had the beyond ones yet cos I’m too mean with myself but the co op ones are the best I’ve tried.

The spicy no chicken burgers from Aldi, also freezer section are amazing 🤤 like having KFC!

Also really like the Cumberland style bangers Tesco do (chilled section). I was actually really disappointed when I tried the Richmond ones after not being able to find them for ages 🤣

M&S do really good vegan sandwiches if you’re on the go. Haven’t had one since lockdown and being off work, I miss them!

That’s all my favs I can think of for now. Look forward to seeing everyone else’s lists!

Reactions: 6
Bird’s Eye Green Cuisine burgers are the best vegan burgers I’ve had in a long time, and they’re great for Keto dieters as they have a lot of protein and are low carb 👍🏻
Yes! Their plant based range is great.

Home Bargains do amazing vegan (coconut) ice cream in a few flavours for about £1.50. I've seen the same brand in Tesco for £4.50 so try HB first!

This goes in my pasta sauces and even when sautéing mushrooms:

009142_A.jpg

This is my all time favourite pizza:

PRI_110456319.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 15
fry’s chicken style nuggets are by far the best nuggets (other than quorn but they’re not vegan :() I literally couldn’t tell the difference! £2 a box in Tesco too!

08E07A80-61EA-4B6C-9000-1886BCB8986D.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Yel

All of the Taifun stuff is great, especially the Weiner's
Screenshot_2020-08-08-14-11-38-789_com.android.chrome.jpg

The Lidl cauliflower or red pepper sausages are nice, as are the heck green ones
plant-menu-red-pepper-butternut-squash-sausages-1588156923.jpg

All the rhythm 108 stuff is great but I love the sweet and salty almond malt bars (on offer 3 pack for £3 at Sainsbury's ATM!)
20d296ea-8336-4cf3-add5-f2ea1d7fc178_800x.jpg

I tried the Birdseye green cuisine meatballs and they tasted nice but we're quite fatty and made me feel unwell :(

• Heart
Reactions: 11
If you like ordering your shopping online, I would highly recommend TheVeganKind Supermarket (Not a #Ad 😂) as they have a vast range of vegan alternatives, snacks, cupboard items and even beauty products too. Everything is vegan so you don't need to keep reading ingredient lists (unless you have an allergy like me 😬).

The best vegan cheese I have ever tried is the Follow Your Heart Gouda style cheese. Violife is good also, especially the Greek style.
For sausages, I recommend Fry's and Richmond meat free. Linda Mccartney's red pepper 'chorizo' sausages are good as well.
My favourite vegan yogurt is the M&S Plant Kitchen coconut and vanilla yogurt. It is sooo thick and creamy!
Alpro do little long-life dessert pots in different flavours (vanilla, caramel, dark chocolate, milk chocolate and coconut). They taste just like custard and taste great refridgerated or semi-frozen in the freezer!
Ben and Jerry's non-dairy cookie dough icecream is like heaven.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12

Yel

Freaks of nature do several hot puddings (lemon, chocolate, Bakewell, sticky toffee) and cool serve moose ones (chocolate). And they're all very good. Sticky toffee is my favourite, they're £2 but on offer at Sainsbury's now for 1.50
fon_hotpuds.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I love Vivera products too especially the Shawarma kebab, soooo good, and the bacon pieces for when I do carbonara 😊

Reactions: 13
Yay! I’ve been vegan 12 years and have tried a lot of Rubbish things over the years. some of my fav things:

naturli butter, the one that finally convinced my husband to give up dairy butter.

Oatly barista, I live soy milk but oatly barista is my fave milk.

Richmond meat free sausages - the most realistic ones I’ve tried.

Naked glory mince, we like that a lot for bolognaise and cottage pie.

Vegenaise - the Mayo that ruined all other uk vegan mayos for me. No one I’ve given it to could tell it wasn’t regular mayo.

This isn’t bacon- we get it delivered by milk and more as we shop in sainsburys where they don’t sell it. But you can get it in waitrose and tesco. It’s so good! Especially if you have an air fryer. And I am someone who HATES most vegan bacon.

M&S nuggets and kievs, they’re my fave chicken style products.

Oh and quorn fishless fingers are good!

Reactions: 15
Love this thread!.

Finnebrogue Naked sausages.

Waitrose vegan whirls, their mac and cheese, kofta kebabs and bacon.

M&S nut roast. Lasagna too. All the other stuff but it's been mentioned already.

Macsween or Anderson 's (lol) vegan haggis.

Tesco dark chocolate digestives.

I’m not vegan but have tried vegan foods. I really recommend the Wicked Kitchen food line of ready meals, my favourite is the gunpowder potato chana masala, it’s gorgeous!
I also love alpro oat milk but oatly is good too.

OTOH I tried the vegan moma porridge (coconut and chia flavour) it was a bit bland and watery w/o the milk. Tried it with milk too but it just wasn’t creamy or anything.

I love Denny meat free sausages and burgers.

Iceland do good veggie "no bull" burgers and meat free sausage rolls.

Reactions: 4
I also like the Cauldron sausages and marinated tofu and falafels.
I dislike Linda McCartney everything as they taste greasy to me also Sheeze was absolutely terrible really horrible.

Reactions: 5
We like Tesco plant chef frozen sausages and vivera shawarma kebab

Yay! I’ve been vegan 12 years and have tried a lot of Rubbish things over the years. some of my fav things:

naturli butter, the one that finally convinced my husband to give up dairy butter.

Oatly barista, I live soy milk but oatly barista is my fave milk.

Richmond meat free sausages - the most realistic ones I’ve tried.

Naked glory mince, we like that a lot for bolognaise and cottage pie.

Vegenaise - the Mayo that ruined all other uk vegan mayos for me. No one I’ve given it to could tell it wasn’t regular mayo.

This isn’t bacon- we get it delivered by milk and more as we shop in sainsburys where they don’t sell it. But you can get it in waitrose and tesco. It’s so good! Especially if you have an air fryer. And I am someone who HATES most vegan bacon.

M&S nuggets and kievs, they’re my fave chicken style products.

Oh and quorn fishless fingers are good!
I tried a couple of the Richmond m/f sausages but I couldn't eat the rest as they were too good and tasted too much like a meat sausage! I'm definitely going to try the This is not bacon the Quorn one is dire😬.

These are really good, lots of flavour to them and reasonably priced.
I like the Oomph burgers, I’ve only ever found them in the frozen section of Asda.
I agree with a previous poster, the Naturli butter is just as good as the real thing.
Oh and the Alpro Greek style yogurt is so good.

Attachments

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.