Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Great idea - I’ll give it a try and see 😊

Thanks a million for this - I’ll keep an eye out for these pasta / rice brands!
No problem at all, hope it helps your little one! Have you tried tahini? Good source of calcium and healthy fats too. If they find it too strong/bitter, mixing it with a bit of soy yogurt and maple/date syrup/molasses makes for a really nice spread!

Reactions: 3
Would he eat houmous & grated carrot in a sandwich? I really feel for you having a picky eater my youngest is too

Reactions: 1
Would he eat houmous & grated carrot in a sandwich? I really feel for you having a picky eater my youngest is too
Funny, he used to eat this when he was small but he won’t now! The only hummus he likes though contains grated carrot (and he happily eats it!) 🤷🏼‍♀️ I can’t send it to school as it contains nuts.

He would eat anything and everything until 18 months and now he’s so fussy. It looks like my youngest will be the same 😭

I got some high-protein pasta today so I’ll try him on that tomorrow and all going well, I’ll send the leftovers to school on Monday.

• Heart
Funny, he used to eat this when he was small but he won’t now! The only hummus he likes though contains grated carrot (and he happily eats it!) 🤷🏼‍♀️ I can’t send it to school as it contains nuts.

He would eat anything and everything until 18 months and now he’s so fussy. It looks like my youngest will be the same 😭

I got some high-protein pasta today so I’ll try him on that tomorrow and all going well, I’ll send the leftovers to school on Monday.
Gosh he sounds like me as a kid 😂

I couldn’t eat sandwiches (still can’t eat them cold) so I’d have a bread roll and cheese to eat separately lol

• Haha
Gosh he sounds like me as a kid 😂

I couldn’t eat sandwiches (still can’t eat them cold) so I’d have a bread roll and cheese to eat separately lol
This is what I’m doing … bread and butter and then something separate (and warm) in the thermos, like tofu or nuggets. It seems like he has to have at least one warm thing in his lunch or he won’t eat it 🙈

Thanks everyone for your recommendations - they were all much appreciated 💕

I think I’m just a bit more conscious of his fussy eating because he’s vegan (versus my non-vegan friends with fussy kids). He actually eats plenty and does have quite a good variety - but the things he likes don’t travel/keep well or else have nuts in them, so packed lunches are a challenge.

I think I’ll just pick 5 different lunches and repeat those every week! And hopefully in another 10 years he’ll be able to pack his own 🤣

No problem at all, hope it helps your little one! Have you tried tahini? Good source of calcium and healthy fats too. If they find it too strong/bitter, mixing it with a bit of soy yogurt and maple/date syrup/molasses makes for a really nice spread!
Oh I just saw this. I’ll definitely give it a try. I already know it’s too bitter for him, but he loves maple syrup so that could work. Thanks!

Getting a YumBox was a game-changer for my kid's lunchboxes and the compartments made it easy to do a formula of a lunch when half asleep. The boxes are pricey but *excellent*. We have the original kind: https://yumboxlunch.com/collections/yumbox-original
No idea if this is at all helpful, and kid is 'only' vegetarian...

Section 1: always veg, usually a couple. Eg: carrot sticks, cucumber, gherkins, beetroot, mini corncobs, mange tout...

Section 2: always "the main thing",. Eg: sandwich, roll, wrap, pasta, rice, couscous, crackers, sausage roll, cold quesadilla, yanno...

Section 3: always "an protein": Eg: lump o' cheese, lump o' quorn, wee sausage, wee quorn scotch egg, a nugget, handful of roasted chickpeas...

Section 4: always crispy. Half a packet of crisps (very seldom actual potato chips, usually hula hoops/ pea snacks, pop chips, sunbites etc)

Section 5: always fruit. Eg: easy peeler orange, grapes, kiwi (cut up + spork), strawbs, whatever doesn't get mullered in transit or doesn't go brown.

The sections are p small, so it's very easy to have variety and be using up really small amounts of leftovers for some of it.
For sandwich fillings, I struggled too... Usually leaves + hummus/coleslaw/'ham'/cheese and the like.

I was often deal jealous 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Getting a YumBox was a game-changer for my kid's lunchboxes and the compartments made it easy to do a formula of a lunch when half asleep. The boxes are pricey but *excellent*. We have the original kind: https://yumboxlunch.com/collections/yumbox-original

Section 1: always veg, usually a couple. Eg: carrot sticks, cucumber, gherkins, beetroot, mini corncobs, mange tout...

Section 2: always "the main thing",. Eg: sandwich, roll, wrap, pasta, rice, couscous, crackers, sausage roll, cold quesadilla, yanno...

Section 3: always "an protein": Eg: lump o' cheese, lump o' quorn, wee sausage, wee quorn scotch egg, a nugget, handful of roasted chickpeas...

Section 4: always crispy. Half a packet of crisps (very seldom actual potato chips, usually hula hoops/ pea snacks, pop chips, sunbites etc)

Section 5: always fruit. Eg: easy peeler orange, grapes, kiwi (cut up + spork), strawbs, whatever doesn't get mullered in transit or doesn't go brown.

The sections are p small, so it's very easy to have variety and be using up really small amounts of leftovers for some of it.
For sandwich fillings, I struggled too... Usually leaves + hummus/coleslaw/'ham'/cheese and the like.

Thanks … I am so jealous of the variety your kid eats!! I have a compartment lunchbox with a thermos inbuilt (you can also remove the thermos to leave a regular ‘main’ compartment). It’s the OmieBox - I was going to get the YumBox but I saw this one on Instagram and thought it would be perfect because of the thermos. Now I’m just struggling to fill the damn (overpriced) thing 🤣

We have yumboxes and smiggle lunch bags so I put yoghurt, crisps and snack in the top of the bag

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 4
We have yumboxes and smiggle lunch bags so I put yoghurt, crisps and snack in the top of the bag
Oh thanks! Bagels are an idea. He loves them (I mean he won’t eat anything IN them, but I could send the fillings on the side). And popcorn too … although he’s only 3.5 so I’m not sure what preschool would make of that. I’ll file that idea away for next year!

Is that a Halloween themed lunch you have done?! That’s so cool. If he ate mandarins I would totally steal that idea 🤣 (I love watching the Instagram moms theme their lunches!).

Awwh I used to love doing cute veg shapes and stuff too, but she'd probably be embarrassed these days 🙄

Mine just can't eat huge volumes of stuff so a sandwich has gotta be a [offbrand] Warburton's thin, absolute max. Half a roll. A mini tortilla wrap. Works for me though: the other half is tomorrow's lunch!

Imagine someone making you a wee "picky tea" with love for your lunch every day!?! 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 2
thanks. They told me in the shop that the powder wasn’t vegan anymore so I didn’t get one just in case
Ugh so annoying
I've just double checked on my app for you and made a pretend order as it comes up with the most up to date allergen info and the only allergens are Oat (the milk I clicked on) and soya (the vegan whipped topping)

Ugh so annoying
I've just double checked on my app for you and made a pretend order as it comes up with the most up to date allergen info and the only allergens are Oat (the milk I clicked on) and soya (the vegan whipped topping)
Oh brilliant thank you!!

• Heart
I have so much munch in, my cupboards and fridge freezer are a vegan haven 🌱 ☁ (been stocking up but had no appetite/motivation to cook). But I tried the meatless farm beef steaks tonight:
1666641889880.jpeg

They were nice with Strong Roots garlic sweet potatoes, 🥦 and cauliflower. I picked this up recently and it’s once of the nicest bbq sauces I’ve had:

583548011_0_640x640.jpg

The Granovita pate tubes are great, does anyone else buy them? They last 4 weeks in the fridge after opening. I use them on toast.

The Granovita pate tubes are great, does anyone else buy them? They last 4 weeks in the fridge after opening. I use them on toast.
I looove these (and the other tubes of pate, Tartex, Suma, etc) - they're such a comfort food for me, totally remind me of childhood and teen times (late 80s-late 90s)- absolutely delish on hot buttered toast 🤤
Will absolutely pick some up today, thanks for the reminder!

Speaking of hot buttered toast, does anyone else love nutritional yeast on toast?

I looove these (and the other tubes of pate, Tartex, Suma, etc) - they're such a comfort food for me, totally remind me of childhood and teen times (late 80s-late 90s)- absolutely delish on hot buttered toast 🤤
Will absolutely pick some up today, thanks for the reminder!
Or straight out the tube 😶 I like the herby one best but have ‘spicy’ Mexican open atm.

• Heart