Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I get them off Amazon, vegan stores or Holland & Barrett. They look old-fashioned but are tasty, cost £2-3

1666724927426.jpeg

KAL-TX322_35.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I'm so cross, the health food shop didn't have any and Holland and Barratt only had the Spicy Mexican one and it turns out that its the traditional and delicious Green flavour (Herby) I got all hyped up for 😂

I did spot some nutritional yeast in a bag instead of a wasteful tub which worked out cheaper, so I'll try that soon. But I'm still gagging for beige on toast!!! 🤤

Or straight out the tube 😶 I like the herby one best but have ‘spicy’ Mexican open atm.
"Red flavour" was my favourite sandwich in my packed lunch as a kid 😂

Put it on toast, top with a bit of cheese and stick it under the grill
😘👌

Reactions: 2
Nooo I think the Mexican one is the only one I don't like. Its too red peppery. I got it from H&B, think Asda sells the cans.

Reactions: 1
Oh my god my Mum used to give us mushroom tartex on toast 30 years ago! I’d forgotten all about it. Popping into H&B tomorrow!
Saaaame, nostalgia to the max!
I haven't found any irl yet though - I've tried a (small) H&B and 2 independent wholefood shops. One said they'd had a few people asking lately and I loved the idea that we've caused a run on Tartex pate 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
There was a dairy free marg in Iceland called Free and it was only £1. That's cheap these days, they probably won't have it next time.

The Vivera drumsticks are sooo nice. Good texture and well seasoned. Quite filling too.
90968_VIVERA_UK_PACKSHOT_DRUMSTICKS-transp-768x979.png

Hello all.. i've recently decided to become vegan and i'm currently in the transition phase..

Could I possibly have some recommendations on books, documentaries and general tips on being a new vegan?..what makes things easier, what to avoid etc

Hello all.. i've recently decided to become vegan and i'm currently in the transition phase..

Could I possibly have some recommendations on books, documentaries and general tips on being a new vegan?..what makes things easier, what to avoid etc
Are going straight from meat or are you veggie?

Are going straight from meat or are you veggie?
Going from straight from meat. Though not a massive meat eater...never really liked steaks, joints or meat on bone etc.
More into ham, salami, sausages....more processed meat.
But I am (well was) a big fish and seafood eater. Watched seaspiracy and that triggered the change...
Have been veggie before but this was 14 years ago..theres alot more choice and alternatives now i've noticed!

Reactions: 4
Going from straight from meat. Though not a massive meat eater...never really liked steaks, joints or meat on bone etc.
But I am (well was) a big fish and seafood eater. Watched seaspiracy and that triggered the change...
Have been veggie before but this was 14 years ago..theres alot more choice and alternatives now i've noticed!
Oh there’s so much choice! I’d focus on stuff that you would have eaten without meat in first - the accidentally vegan stuff? Like veggie pasta, beans on toast/avo toast, dal and eg pulao rice etc and then build up into almost your fave meals, using lentils/veg mince for bolognese, shepherds pie, chilli, and work in the alternatives that you find palatable. Do a meal plan as close to your normal meals as possible then fill in some different ones where it’s impossible (ie omlette/seafood risotto lol)

one tip I’ll give you reading your meat pref is to get yourself some smoked sea salt, and also smoked paprika - if I make Mac and cheese the smoked salt really tastes a bit bacony!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Oh there’s so much choice! I’d focus on stuff that you would have eaten without meat in first - the accidentally vegan stuff? Like veggie pasta, beans on toast/avo toast, dal and eg pulao rice etc and then build up into almost your fave meals, using lentils/veg mince for bolognese, shepherds pie, chilli, and work in the alternatives that you find palatable. Do a meal plan as close to your normal meals as possible then fill in some different ones where it’s impossible (ie omlette/seafood risotto lol)

one tip I’ll give you reading your meat pref is to get yourself some smoked sea salt, and also smoked paprika - if I make Mac and cheese the smoked salt really tastes a bit bacony!
Thank you smoked sea salt sounds good..will have a look for that.
Meal plan also good advice...will do that!

Thank you smoked sea salt sounds good..will have a look for that.
Meal plan also good advice...will do that!
It’s such trial and error, everyone has different tastes and you won’t like everything - eg I despise tofu unless it’s deep fried lol or someone’s been v clever with it. Every time I make it myself it’s disgusting! I’ve tried everything, spanning decades 😂

Make sure you’re getting enough of everything too, having a good iron, vitamin b and omegas will see you right. Explore vegan Instagram, there’s loads of good recipes to be found!

• Heart
They say the Vivera ‘salmon‘ fillets are lovely, I haven’t tried them yet but I’ve heard good things, worth a try if you start to miss fish

• Heart
They say the Vivera ‘salmon‘ fillets are lovely, I haven’t tried them yet but I’ve heard good things, worth a try if you start to miss fish
Ooh i'll look out for them.
I've got some birdseye green fishless fingers in my tesco delivery tonight so will see how they go 😁.

Also thinking of making calamari from heart of palm when I get around to it

• Heart
I went cold tofurkey too

Read the BOSH! books. They're the most informative I think.

• Heart