Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My local store refuses to make a flat white with oat milk. Only place I've ever really had an issue with that request. Their loss as I go to the Starbucks up the road. Take that capitalism!

I love making a butternut squash curry in the slow cooker. And it's one of the few meals my fussy kids Hoover up without too much question!

Google the Tinned Tomato blog. She's veggie but does lots of recipes suitable for vegans. There's a fairly decent slow cooking section that includes that butternut squash recipe I mentioned above :)
Refuse!
Crikey. What a bunch of arseholes!

Reactions: 5
What is going on with Costa?
They seem determined to be as vegan unfriendly as possible!
Costa in Ireland is the same. They used to use Oatly Barista, now they use some disgusting sickly sweet oat milk that leaves an aftertaste. It’s such a pity, as I love the coffee but the milk ruins it.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Costa is dire nowadays. The soya milk they switched to tastes awful and they charge extra for the other, decent plant milks, so a coconut latte with a syrup costs over £4. I try to avoid them now anyway because the service at some stores is terrible.

• Sad
  • Heart
Refuse!
Crikey. What a bunch of arseholes!
It was one of the strangest experiences I've had.

Me: Hi, can I have an oat milk flat white please?
Barista: *hard stare* You mean a latte with oat milk?
Me: *thinking No I bleeping don't* No, a flat white with oat milk. Please.
Barista: *continues hard stare*
Me: *sighs* Yes, all right then.

I had a train to catch and could feel the queue behind me getting pissed off. But yes, it was bizarre. And it happened earlier this year, not like a decade again when I first went vegan.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
It was one of the strangest experiences I've had.

Me: Hi, can I have an oat milk flat white please?
Barista: *hard stare* You mean a latte with oat milk?
Me: *thinking No I bleeping don't* No, a flat white with oat milk. Please.
Barista: *continues hard stare*
Me: *sighs* Yes, all right then.

I had a train to catch and could feel the queue behind me getting pissed off. But yes, it was bizarre. And it happened earlier this year, not like a decade again when I first went vegan.
What an absolute prick

• Haha
What is going on with Costa?
They seem determined to be as vegan unfriendly as possible!
i know it’s such a shame because in the winter the only thing to drink is tea and begrudge paying their prices. I don’t even find the frappes there nice. I muxh Pr
I feel left out of the slowcooker joy and I fuckin love a kitchen gadget (rice cooker, George Foreman, airfryer, bread machine, wee deep fat fryer, Kenwood Chef with all the doodahs....). I can't think of anything much plant based that wouldn't just bubble away to a mush. Curry mush, tomato mush, stew mush...

Have I at last met a kitchen gadget that I can't justify giving up space in my kitchen for??
Do you have one? What do you do in it? Do I need one?
I make everything in mine I’ve never had anything too mushy (besides pasta but I like it soft so no big deal). green lentils I find hold their form well. I’ve never had mushy beans either though. I make a lovely slow cooker stroganoff if I do say so myself

• Heart
So pleased that Bourneville fingers are accidentally vegan again! Make sure you check you're not getting old stock 😘

• Heart
Reactions: 10
This might not be the right thread to ask on, but I’m not sure if there’s a more suitable one.

For those who have younger vegan kids (mine is a preschooler), what do you send in a packed lunch? It seems like everything he likes / eats has nuts in it! He also won’t eat sandwiches (except pb ones 😭).

This might not be the right thread to ask on, but I’m not sure if there’s a more suitable one.

For those who have younger vegan kids (mine is a preschooler), what do you send in a packed lunch? It seems like everything he likes / eats has nuts in it! He also won’t eat sandwiches (except pb ones 😭).
Mine are 9 and 11. They'll have quorn ham/chicken slice sandwich, cold chicken nugget and salad wraps, tomato pasta, sausage rolls. Then some veg with hummus, falafel/pakora, fruit, soya yoghurt, crisps and a snack (malt loaf, party rings, jammy dodgers)

• Heart
Mine are 9 and 11. They'll have quorn ham/chicken slice sandwich, cold chicken nugget and salad wraps, tomato pasta, sausage rolls. Then some veg with hummus, falafel/pakora, fruit, soya yoghurt, crisps and a snack (malt loaf, party rings, jammy dodgers)
Thanks @Jc456 … that’s helpful. I do send warm pasta (he won’t eat tomato sauce though 🙈) or Mexican rice in a thermos, or chicken nuggets / burger / veggie pudding with some bread and butter separately. He’ll eat some veg and fruit, and soy yoghurt, raisins, etc.

I’m mostly struggling with less processed protein sources for him. He won’t touch Quorn slices, hummus (except the one from the local cafe which has nuts in it!), or falafels. He’s gone off tofu lately and he used to love it.

I’m hoping he grows out of this picky phase soon!

Thanks @Jc456 … that’s helpful. I do send warm pasta (he won’t eat tomato sauce though 🙈) or Mexican rice in a thermos, or chicken nuggets / burger / veggie pudding with some bread and butter separately. He’ll eat some veg and fruit, and soy yoghurt, raisins, etc.

I’m mostly struggling with less processed protein sources for him. He won’t touch Quorn slices, hummus (except the one from the local cafe which has nuts in it!), or falafels. He’s gone off tofu lately and he used to love it.

If he's got a thermos would he have anything like soup, Dahl, stew and dumplings?

Reactions: 1

Maybe a silly question but does he like wraps?

Maybe a silly question but does he like wraps?
No, no wraps or rolls. He likes oat cakes or rice cakes, but only with peanut butter which isn’t allowed. I’m going to try that nut-free nut butter but I’m fairly sure he won’t like it because it seems like quite a ‘dry’ texture and he prefers the oily nut butters like Meridian 🙈

I’ve tried sending sandwiches, assuming/hoping he would eat them if the other kids in class did, but he wouldn’t and then was grumpy and hungry at pickup.

No, no wraps or rolls. He likes oat cakes or rice cakes, but only with peanut butter which isn’t allowed. I’m going to try that nut-free nut butter but I’m fairly sure he won’t like it because it seems like quite a ‘dry’ texture and he prefers the oily nut butters like Meridian 🙈

I’ve tried sending sandwiches, assuming/hoping he would eat them if the other kids in class did, but he wouldn’t and then was grumpy and hungry at pickup.
if he likes pasta could you get him high protein pasta? Would that be something he would eat? I got the lentil one from Tesco and I personally couldn’t tell the difference

• Heart
if he likes pasta could you get him high protein pasta? Would that be something he would eat? I got the lentil one from Tesco and I personally couldn’t tell the difference
Yes! I had been mixing 50:50 regular and chickpea pasta for a couple of weeks but I forgot about that somewhere along the way. Will do that again. Thanks @shadowcat5 😊

Yes! I had been mixing 50:50 regular and chickpea pasta for a couple of weeks but I forgot about that somewhere along the way. Will do that again. Thanks @shadowcat5 😊
I really like Zenb's yellow pea pasta range and all of Explore Cuisine's bean-based pasta (the green pea/chickpea fusilis are great). Mr Organic also do some good chickpea/red lentil-based "rice" which I like using in risottos or stews. Also like using Profusion Organic's pea & fava-based protein chunks and mince. It's like TVP so good in soups/stews to absorb flavours. Hope this helps!

• Heart

What about pumpkin seed butter? It's our standard one at home and I make it myself. Just lightly roast them until the seeds are shiny (oils come out) and then, excuse the technical wording, blend them to duck.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
What about pumpkin seed butter? It's our standard one at home and I make it myself. Just lightly roast them until the seeds are shiny (oils come out) and then, excuse the technical wording, blend them to duck.
Great idea - I’ll give it a try and see 😊

I really like Zenb's yellow pea pasta range and all of Explore Cuisine's bean-based pasta (the green pea/chickpea fusilis are great). Mr Organic also do some good chickpea/red lentil-based "rice" which I like using in risottos or stews. Also like using Profusion Organic's pea & fava-based protein chunks and mince. It's like TVP so good in soups/stews to absorb flavours. Hope this helps!
Thanks a million for this - I’ll keep an eye out for these pasta / rice brands!

• Heart