Unpopular opinions #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
is it best of both or is it nothing of neither 🤣
sam smith needs to call his next album this.

I feel like I’ve crossed a “no fucks given line” and I need to reverse 😂 all in jest folks, be who you want to be.
Or don’t be anything 😐

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
You know when someone gets ill / a disease and they have to undergo all horrible medical procedures to treat it.

Sometimes I think if it happened to me I'd rather just not know about it and die rather than have to go through surgery / months of treatment.

I'm not anti-science, just a massive wimp haha.
I know what you mean. A close relative of mine had cancer, had major 8 hour long invasive surgery to try and get rid of it but barely had time to recover before they ended up dying a couple of months later anyway. Made me wonder what the point of it all was if I’m being brutally honest.

The weaning one winds me up the most! I recently saw a tik tokker feed her 12 week old baby milky bar buttons melted down. I mean what in the name of duck.

if you’re gonna go against guidelines at least give your child something nutritious ffs.
I’ve never understood why parents are in such a rush to wean their babies, they seem to think it’ll solve all their problems and make them sleep through, certainly wasn’t the case with my children when I weaned them at 6months. The people I know who have weaned early always give their babies junk food as well, why? Babies definitely don’t need junk food.

It’s messy and the shits they create once they start solids are absolutely rancid. They’ve got their whole lives to eat food, enjoy those short few months where all they need is milk!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
If I catch your car shitting in my garden I well kick its arse to high heaven

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I don’t think multicultural societies are as successful as people make out.
I think they work when you have an overriding identity that everyone subscribes too.

aka you can be Chinese/African/irish/Italian descent but ultimately you are American/British

I always find it interesting that, in ancient Rome, it wasn’t a given you could be a citizen (even if you lived there or in a territory) so it became a highly sought after commodity. Everyone wanted to be Roman, and identify with being Roman but kept a lot of their inherited national identity - aka people would keep the names of their native country but dress and adapt Roman hair/clothing/naming styles. And so on

Reactions: 3
I know what you mean. A close relative of mine had cancer, had major 8 hour long invasive surgery to try and get rid of it but barely had time to recover before they ended up dying a couple of months later anyway. Made me wonder what the point of it all was if I’m being brutally honest.

I’ve never understood why parents are in such a rush to wean their babies, they seem to think it’ll solve all their problems and make them sleep through, certainly wasn’t the case with my children when I weaned them at 6months. The people I know who have weaned early always give their babies junk food as well, why? Babies definitely don’t need junk food.

It’s messy and the shits they create once they start solids are absolutely rancid. They’ve got their whole lives to eat food, enjoy those short few months where all they need is milk!
Exactly, it just seems miserable. My ex-boyfriend's mum had terminal cancer too and she was constantly miserable with surgery and chemo which only ended up prolonging her life for a few months.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I think they work when you have an overriding identity that everyone subscribes too.

aka you can be Chinese/African/irish/Italian descent but ultimately you are American/British

I always find it interesting that, in ancient Rome, it wasn’t a given you could be a citizen (even if you lived there or in a territory) so it became a highly sought after commodity. Everyone wanted to be Roman, and identify with being Roman but kept a lot of their inherited national identity - aka people would keep the names of their native country but dress and adapt Roman hair/clothing/naming styles. And so on
I agree, when you have this overriding identity it helps but I’m not sure what that is with being British? Scotland and Northern Ireland want to break away from the Union (I missed out Wales because it’s not as big a want as the others but I understand there are people who want Wales to be independent) which would make Britain useless surely because it would just be England and Wales? And not many people seem to want to identify as English due to past colonial issues and that our flag is so heavily associated with football hooligans and the far right. I spoke a few threads ago about my family friend who wants to take off her hijab and maybe leave Islam and her family’s reaction has been well you’re dead to us, the hijab is our culture (it isn’t, but that’s another story), you don’t want to be like English girls, they are all sluts. Her family want her to marry a man from the same ethnic background to her, told her they’d cut her off if she married a white man, etc. And she says that this is so common in ethnic communities around the country. People don’t speak to each other, some don’t even speak English, they won’t integrate, they send their children to the faith schools and they are only friends with people of their background. She says it’s endemic across this country. And to be fair I’ve noticed this too, I used to live in an area that had a high Muslim population and I was made to feel like an outsider, someone even asked why I had moved to ‘their’ community as I didn’t belong to it, I had men telling me to cover my hair.
I don’t know, it’s just been playing on my mind a lot with what my family friend is going through.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I agree, when you have this overriding identity it helps but I’m not sure what that is with being British? Scotland and Northern Ireland want to break away from the Union (I missed out Wales because it’s not as big a want as the others but I understand there are people who want Wales to be independent) which would make Britain useless surely because it would just be England and Wales? And not many people seem to want to identify as English due to past colonial issues and that our flag is so heavily associated with football hooligans and the far right. I spoke a few threads ago about my family friend who wants to take off her hijab and maybe leave Islam and her family’s reaction has been well you’re dead to us, the hijab is our culture (it isn’t, but that’s another story), you don’t want to be like English girls, they are all sluts. Her family want her to marry a man from the same ethnic background to her, told her they’d cut her off if she married a white man, etc. And she says that this is so common in ethnic communities around the country. People don’t speak to each other, some don’t even speak English, they won’t integrate, they send their children to the faith schools and they are only friends with people of their background. She says it’s endemic across this country. And to be fair I’ve noticed this too, I used to live in an area that had a high Muslim population and I was made to feel like an outsider, someone even asked why I had moved to ‘their’ community as I didn’t belong to it, I had men telling me to cover my hair.
I don’t know, it’s just been playing on my mind a lot with what my family friend is going through.
being British is a fairly new concept so it hasn’t been established yet I guess.

the term “Great Britain” came from the 1707 acts of Union, which made it a political identity. Prior to that it had been a geographical thing.

British as a social/national identity is relatively new, so harder to subscribe to

Reactions: 1
I don’t think multicultural societies are as successful as people make out.
Singapore is a great example of a successful multi cultural society. In Europe, our multicultural society tends to involve areas of a city with specific groups in one area. For example, a district with a huge turkish population. The people who live in this area do not mix with the other nationalities that live in the city, their children attend schools with other children from the area and do not mix with children from other backgrounds. How can a country be multicultural when all cultures are segregated (unintentionally).

Singapore actually made a point of making their society multicultural, one policy involved children in schools sitting beside children with a different ethnicity, which I think is a lovely idea.

Reactions: 7
Singapore is a great example of a successful multi cultural society. In Europe, our multicultural society tends to involve areas of a city with specific groups in one area. For example, a district with a huge turkish population. The people who live in this area do not mix with the other nationalities that live in the city, their children attend schools with other children from the area and do not mix with children from other backgrounds. How can a country be multicultural when all cultures are segregated (unintentionally).

Singapore actually made a point of making their society multicultural, one policy involved children in schools sitting beside children with a different ethnicity, which I think is a lovely idea.
I was thinking Singapore was a successful multicultural nation but wasn’t a 100% sure. I think that’s great about the children being seated next to someone who is a different ethnicity. I have young family members in school and already, even at 8, they say ‘oh we can’t go over to play at X’s house because their parents don’t like white children’ and it’s really heartbreaking because the children want to play together and become friends.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
This one will be unpopular, I imagine. It'll probably also read incredibly harsh. Not my intention. Just trying to being as blunt as possible to best explain it.

I generally don't care about the feelings of others, outside my immediate bubble (my husband, my mum, my dad and my brother)

Obviously I don't wish harm or upset or anyone but if a friend/extended family member suffers a loss, for example, I'll comfort them, I'll say the right things but really, I just don't feel anything. It feels like I'm ticking a box for societal norm but I really don't give it another thought until they inevitably want to talk about it again. I'll indulge them, I'll give them a shoulder, I'll play the part and I play it well because nobody has ever made a remark about me being cold. But it's just so boring, isn't it?

A member of my family is currently on long term sick, awaiting a diagnosis for what they suspect is a behavioural disorder. When they talk about it I just feel a massive internal eye roll that I manage to suppress.

I'm probably a really awful person.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
I spoke a few threads ago about my family friend who wants to take off her hijab and maybe leave Islam and her family’s reaction has been well you’re dead to us, the hijab is our culture (it isn’t, but that’s another story), you don’t want to be like English girls, they are all sluts. Her family want her to marry a man from the same ethnic background to her, told her they’d cut her off if she married a white man, etc. And she says that this is so common in ethnic communities around the country. People don’t speak to each other, some don’t even speak English, they won’t integrate, they send their children to the faith schools and they are only friends with people of their background. She says it’s endemic across this country. And to be fair I’ve noticed this too, I used to live in an area that had a high Muslim population and I was made to feel like an outsider, someone even asked why I had moved to ‘their’ community as I didn’t belong to it, I had men telling me to cover my hair.
My aunt went through this. Married a white man in secret. We found out as kids after we went to her house and my cousin read the inside of a book that was inscribed and our aunt made us promise not to tell anyone. I didn't tell but my cousin did. My grandfather made it a huge deal. She was banned from the house and I didn't see her from the age of 8 to 13. My grandfather only got in contact after he needed to borrow money from her.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
My aunt went through this. Married a white man in secret. We found out as kids after we went to her house and my cousin read the inside of a book that was inscribed and our aunt made us promise not to tell anyone. I didn't tell but my cousin did. My grandfather made it a huge deal. She was banned from the house and I didn't see her from the age of 8 to 13. My grandfather only got in contact after he needed to borrow money from her.
Your poor aunt! Did the cousin do it to be spiteful or were they too young?

Reactions: 2
People who drive to school to take their kids when they live a 10-15 min walk away, stop being a lazy tit! The lady who lives in the next road to me (takes me 7 mins to walk to school) drives everyday and even sets of before me to get a parking space! Primary schools are ridiculous for it near me

Reactions: 33
This one will be unpopular, I imagine. It'll probably also read incredibly harsh. Not my intention. Just trying to being as blunt as possible to best explain it.

I generally don't care about the feelings of others, outside my immediate bubble (my husband, my mum, my dad and my brother)

Obviously I don't wish harm or upset or anyone but if a friend/extended family member suffers a loss, for example, I'll comfort them, I'll say the right things but really, I just don't feel anything. It feels like I'm ticking a box for societal norm but I really don't give it another thought until they inevitably want to talk about it again. I'll indulge them, I'll give them a shoulder, I'll play the part and I play it well because nobody has ever made a remark about me being cold. But it's just so boring, isn't it?

A member of my family is currently on long term sick, awaiting a diagnosis for what they suspect is a behavioural disorder. When they talk about it I just feel a massive internal eye roll that I manage to suppress.

I'm probably a really awful person.
I can relate! I despise the term “first world problems” There will always be someone worse if than you but that doesn’t make your own feeling worthless, nor is it anyone else’s place to tell you how to feel. Life and emotions are not a game.

Reactions: 8
My cousin was only around 10, so it wasn't done out of spite just that he was too young. I still remember my father being angry at me for not telling. that in the car he bought everyone else a chocolate bar but not me.

I'd personally tell your friend to run and I say that as someone who has grown up this way. I read a dutiful boy by Zadi Moshin and could relate to it so much, despite not going exactly through what he did. Some people really do take religion too far, but are far from perfect themselves. We're kinda taught that your English ways aren't our ways.

I don't wear the headscarf but I still hope I don't bump into people I know/ I also avoid walking down one road if I can.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
People who drive to school to take their kids when they live a 10-15 min walk away, stop being a lazy tit! The lady who lives in the next road to me (takes me 7 mins to walk to school) drives everyday and even sets of before me to get a parking space! Primary schools are ridiculous for it near me
I used to walk to school to pick up my son. It was about 15 min or so. The lady who was my neighbour would drive. I’d walk pass her getting into the car and I’d get to school before her. Walking you could go in a straight line and take a short cut but driving you’d get through several roundabouts and traffic lights. I never understood it! Lazy is the only word I can think of!

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.