Unpopular opinions #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t care for your pets and the new ‘plant 1 tree for a picture of your pet’ is driving me crazy. Every other story and it’s someone’s ugly dog

ETA - I’ve just seen ‘one that made you a mum’ and I’m all over that. Going to upload a photo with my ugly minute old child with a forcep mark over her face

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Noone else wants to see your holiday photos. NOONE.
Omg this!!!!!! I remember sitting on a plane home from a business trip after a long ass week and I was beside a colleague who spent the whole time showing me her holiday photos not just from their recent holiday but every holiday photo they had taken that was saved on her phone duck me id rather watch paint dry 😩

• Haha
Reactions: 13
You know when someone gets ill / a disease and they have to undergo all horrible medical procedures to treat it.

Sometimes I think if it happened to me I'd rather just not know about it and die rather than have to go through surgery / months of treatment.

I'm not anti-science, just a massive wimp haha.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
If you go against scientifically researched guidelines when it comes to raising your children, with the excuse of "well it never did me/them/mine/us any harm, then you are an idiot.
Examples: weaning babies before 6 months, turning young children forward facing in their car seat, using cot bumpers.

These guidelines are based on years of research and looking at the case studies of kids who did suffer harm because these things weren't known about in the past. Now they are known about, you are a dick if you go against the updated advice to make your own life easier. Survivorship bias does not trump science.

(Obviously, I get there are medical exceptions to some of these. That's entirely different and these people are not idiots. Just to be clear.)
I wouldn't worry about most of it, the advice will change again and again before your kids leave school.

Reactions: 6
If you go against scientifically researched guidelines when it comes to raising your children, with the excuse of "well it never did me/them/mine/us any harm, then you are an idiot.
Examples: weaning babies before 6 months, turning young children forward facing in their car seat, using cot bumpers.

These guidelines are based on years of research and looking at the case studies of kids who did suffer harm because these things weren't known about in the past. Now they are known about, you are a dick if you go against the updated advice to make your own life easier. Survivorship bias does not trump science.

(Obviously, I get there are medical exceptions to some of these. That's entirely different and these people are not idiots. Just to be clear.)
The weaning one winds me up the most! I recently saw a tik tokker feed her 12 week old baby milky bar buttons melted down. I mean what in the name of duck.

if you’re gonna go against guidelines at least give your child something nutritious ffs.

• Wow
  • Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
You know when someone gets ill / a disease and they have to undergo all horrible medical procedures to treat it.

Sometimes I think if it happened to me I'd rather just not know about it and die rather than have to go through surgery / months of treatment.

I'm not anti-science, just a massive wimp haha.
I will take quality over quantity every time. If I were given a terminal diagnosis then I would just enjoy my time without treatment except for pain relief

Reactions: 6
I will take quality over quantity every time. If I were given a terminal diagnosis then I would just enjoy my time without treatment except for pain relief
Exactly. Although I'd go one step further and say I'd rather not know if I had a terminal illness and would prefer to just keel over one day, even if knowing and having treatment could prolong my life for a bit.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I feel like a lot of non binary people are just people that don't fit the beauty ideals, so go 'well nobody can say I'm an unattractive woman because I'm not a woman' etc. Same for men, but usually more women. Sofie hagen for example

Reactions: 41
Exactly. Although I'd go one step further and say I'd rather not know if I had a terminal illness and would prefer to just keel over one day, even if knowing and having treatment could prolong my life for a bit.
Someone I know of (daughter of a work colleague) did exactly that. She had ovarian cancer which was undiagnosed. She was found dead, in her 30s in her house. She’d been at work the week before.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
I feel like a lot of non binary people are just people that don't fit the beauty ideals, so go 'well nobody can say I'm an unattractive woman because I'm not a woman' etc. Same for men, but usually more women. Sofie hagen for example
I’d go a step further and say I don’t believe in non binary. I think people who don’t fit into traditional feminine or masculine traits think they’re different but really it’s just life we’re all different.

I will always respect other people who identify as non binary and anything else for that matter and wouldn’t direct hate towards them, they can do whatever they want it’s none of my business but I don’t believe non binary is a thing.

*it’s my unpopular opinion*

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 55
If you really wanted to buy a home its still doable as the 70s but you have to make the effort,

I personally didn't go on holidays abroad, just to the seaside self-catering for a week, didn't get takeaways or eat out, my kids had 2nd hand clothes, nappies that I washed and 2nd hand baby equipment. my home was furnished with hand-me-downs and I only decorated when it really needed it not when fashion changed. didn't take the kids on days out every week (or daily as some do) , We managed by going without so many other things. At one time I had 5 jobs, one full time the other's cleaning jobs.

I'm not saying it wasn't easier then, we didn't have the added pressure to spend money like there is today. but it was not as easy as many believe
Credit to your hard work, I do enjoy my holidays abroad but I am very much a tight ass every other day of the week.
Right now the max I can get a mortgage for is 250,000k whereas the average asking price of a house in Ireland is 300k+ and then there is a bidding war which brings the houses up to 400k.
I am university educated and already in one of the higher paying sectors. I save 1000e per month on top of paying rent yet can't get a large enough mortgage to purchase a house.
I guess I could move to one of the tiny towns and lose employment or settle for a 1 bedroom apartment at 250k and my future kids can share my bed but I think for the majority of 20-40 year old people who are middle/lower class, they can only dream of owning a home in the next 10 years.
The manufactured housing crisis being experienced all over the world right now is diabolical. In Ireland, a large amount of the politicians are also landlords (the biggest conflict of interest ever), rent is gone through the roof and people are expected to save 20k for a mortgage while dishing out more than half their wages on rent. Then there are the investment funds who buy up housing estates, I couldnt compete with an investment fund in a bidding war. These same investment funds are leaving apartments empty instead of lowering rents, thus keeping the supply low and price high.

I have my deposit I just cannot get a big enough mortgage. I will get a house at some stage but right now, for me it isnt doable.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Someone I know of (daughter of a work colleague) did exactly that. She had ovarian cancer which was undiagnosed. She was found dead, in her 30s in her house. She’d been at work the week before.
That's so sad. Sometimes I've heard you don't even get many symptoms or can attribute them to something else.

Reactions: 4
I’d go a step further and say I don’t believe in non binary. I think people who don’t fit into traditional feminine or masculine traits think they’re different but really it’s just life we’re all different.

I will always respect other people who identify as non binary and anything else for that matter and wouldn’t direct hate towards them, they can do whatever they want it’s none of my business but I don’t believe non binary is a thing.

I was going to post this but was too scared 🤣

It's not that I don't think it's a thing, I just don't know how it can be a thing because gender isn't really a thing either when you think about it. Sex yes, male and female fine. But gender is just a concept that we made up. I identify as a woman and I am biologically a woman but I don't do "stereotypical" woman things in that I don't wear make-up, dress up, pluck my eyebrows, follow fashion trends, wear clothes that are nice/fashionable in general, being a SAHM is my worst nightmare, I am useless at housework, I could go on and on. But realistically those aren't "woman" things. We're not biologically programmed to like make up or fashion, or do housework. They are things society has put on us. Maybe I'm missing the point of what non-binary is and if I am then I apologise and am happy to be educated but when people say "I don't identify with either gender" I think well yeah cause it doesn't exist?!

• Heart
Reactions: 22

no text. 😐

EED93C54-2D36-4A5E-88C0-FE12EEE15481.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Boxing is a barbaric practice that should have been banned years ago. Any so-called sport where the object is to punch your opponent repeatedly in the face until they lose consciousness and suffer brain damage has no place in the 21st century.

Reactions: 39
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.