Unpopular Opinions #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What started it was those silly Christmas Eve boxes. When I was younger we got Christmas Eve pj’s and that was it, but now people do full on boxes full of presents, more presents Christmas . Then it expanded over to Easter, people get Easter boxes which are full of presents, then all their eggs. This year I seen someone do a Valentine’s Day box for their children!!! And gave them loads of presents! Their just milking it. I’ve never gifted my child anything for Valentine’s Day 😂

Reactions: 14
And even on kids birthdays and Christmas, they post photos of mountains of presents piled up! It’s absolutely ridiculous!
When we were younger me and my brothers would get one main present for Christmas and then a couple presents in a stocking didn’t do us any harm!
Same! And with the cost of living being so high, it makes you wonder how many of them are sticking all these expensive purchases on their credit cards and amassing huge debts.

There's always been a concept of "keeping up with the Joneses" but it's amplified even more on social media.

Reactions: 12
And even on kids birthdays and Christmas, they post photos of mountains of presents piled up! It’s absolutely ridiculous!
When we were younger me and my brothers would get one main present for Christmas and then a couple presents in a stocking didn’t do us any harm!
Ugh yes! When the parents post the pictures on social media of the big mountain of gifts…I find it so distasteful 🤢

Do what you want for your children by all means and spend your money how you like, but why post it for everyone to see? I just don’t get it. It’s like they’re bragging or something.

Mine get a big toy/main present, some clothes, books and sweets. It was the same when my brother and I were children, our mum brought us up on her own so we didn’t have much but we were always grateful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
Same! And with the cost of living being so high, it makes you wonder how many of them are sticking all these expensive purchases on their credit cards and amassing huge debts.

There's always been a concept of "keeping up with the Joneses" but it's amplified even more on social media.
Yep! And the amount people spend is crazy, I remember when I was in high school some of my friends would be getting Mac books, new iPhones, designer clothes, jewellery etc! It’s crazy and they don’t appreciate anything now!

Reactions: 6
They always get presents from other family members too so I don’t see the point in going overboard. I can’t imagine how much debt some people must rack up buying loads and going mental. It’s just one day.

Reactions: 4
What did they do to deserve the Bible scripture? 😂
Be born to Catholic parents!

My children get four presents at Christmas. Something they what, something they need, something to wear and something to read.

That is it.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
Rampant consumerism fuelled by social media has fried people’s brains. Not to sound like my granny but bragging about how much money or material possessions you have is so vulgar.

Reactions: 20
For us Easter was always big in our house but, it was because my mum always did an Easter egg hunt and made her own rhymes up. It was always magical and one of our favourite holidays. Now we do it with the grandchildren. They all love it and don’t actually care about the chocolate, I end up eating most of it 😂 For Christmas one year we made a snowman tower for each of them made out of cardboard boxes with a little present inside each. They absolutely loved it and played with it more than their big presents.

Reactions: 4
For us Easter was always big in our house but, it was because my mum always did an Easter egg hunt and made her own rhymes up. It was always magical and one of our favourite holidays. Now we do it with the grandchildren. They all love it and don’t actually care about the chocolate, I end up eating most of it 😂 For Christmas one year we made a snowman tower for each of them made out of cardboard boxes with a little present inside each. They absolutely loved it and played with it more than their big presents.
That’s nice but did you post about it on social media afterwards? Doesn’t count if you didn’t 😉 😂

The snowman idea sounds cute.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Be born to Catholic parents!

My children get four presents at Christmas. Something they what, something they need, something to wear and something to read.

That is it.
I was born to Catholic parents and we never got that! :O

Reactions: 3
Easter was always a big deal in our house as mum was quite a staunch Catholic but it was definitely more of a religious weekend. Good Friday I always remember getting tinned salmon and chips for tea because we couldn't eat meat.

Easter Sunday was mass, an egg and family all together for big roast lunch.

Reactions: 5
UO I love cemeteries and don’t find them creepy at all. I think they’re beautiful and peaceful

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Easter was always a big deal in our house as mum was quite a staunch Catholic but it was definitely more of a religious weekend. Good Friday I always remember getting tinned salmon and chips for tea because we couldn't eat meat.

We didn't eat meat on Good Friday either - we always got fish and chips!

We also went to mass on Easter Sunday - or went to the vigil on the Saturday evening with the candles.

It's funny because my parents were quite staunch Catholics in some way - with following the traditions and always going to mass every week - but we never really discussed religion in the home. I think we got the balance right - as we observed religion but didn't go OTT about it.

Reactions: 3

My Mum used to refuse to cook or eat meat on Good Friday but my Dad always used to get himself a sneaky takeaway, like a burger or sausage or something on his lunch break to rebel against her :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 7
UO: Being a ‘full time mummy’ isn’t a job, just say you don’t work, which there is nothing wrong with. People who work 40 hour weeks are still full time parents, and don’t have it any easier because they spent their days at work 🤷🏻‍♀️ having a full time job and still having all parenting and household responsibilities is hard.

I’m also speaking about the type who have it listed as their job on Facebook 👀

• Heart
Reactions: 31
UO: Being a ‘full time mummy’ isn’t a job, just say you don’t work, which there is nothing wrong with. People who work 40 hour weeks are still full time parents, and don’t have it any easier because they spent their days at work 🤷🏻‍♀️ having a full time job and still having all parenting and household responsibilities is hard.

I’m also speaking about the type who have it listed as their job on Facebook 👀
I hate that turn of phrase “full-time mummy.” Even worse when people add “yummy” into it. 😬

Reactions: 10
UO I love cemeteries and don’t find them creepy at all. I think they’re beautiful and peaceful
I love cemeteries too. I can spend hours there and the older the better. I love reading the headstones.

There's one I love in Sefton, St Helens Church. It's been there since the 13th century. Fascinating to look at some of the headstones and think you were alive through Elizabeth 1 reign or the Civil War. I was last there because my Dad was looking for a Battle of Britain pilot who is buried there.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.