Unpopular Opinions #22

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion … as I’m sure some of you will agree … but as someone who really, really loves watching Four in a Bed, I hate the episodes with glamping and quite honestly I don’t think camping constitutes as a bed and breakfast 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 17
View attachment 1393957
I saw this on social media and personally I don’t see a link between feminism and dairy but as we had that big discussion re womens rights and abortion what is everyone’s take on this?
I mean you can shoe horn anything to fit your agenda. I don’t eat meat and I don’t eat much dairy (love cheese though) but this just seems bleeping insane to me, I generally stay away from veggie/vegan pages as it all gets a bit intense and millitant. (I snoop for food ideas etc I don’t base my whole persona around my food choices 😂) Opinions?
I both agree and disagree, as a vegan.

Cows and hens are abused horrifically for their female bodies.

There is no milk without killing calves. Dairy cows are kept in a constant cycle of pregnancy and birth to keep their milk coming. (This often involves artificial insemination). The babies are torn from their mothers after a few days, if female they will usually be fed formula and raised to be dairy cows, if male they will be slaughtered for veal.

Dairy cows are bred to produce ten times more milk than is natural, leading to agonising mastitis. They spend their days hooked up to milking machines. They are slaughtered very young, about age 7 or younger, when their milk yields start to decline.

Hens are bred to produce an unnatural number of eggs. In the wild, they made a few clutches per year, like many birds. Domestic hens lay eggs constantly. This leaves them prone to cloacal prolapses, and cripples their bones with nutrient deficiencies. Most hens are factory farmed and kept imprisoned in small cages (even “enriched” cages are still small), and slaughtered very young, like cows. Most free range eggs come from hens that live in large, over-crowded sheds together, with theoretical access to outside space via small openings. In reality, many hens may not be able to reach the outside. Free range hens can have more injuries than factory-farmed, as being over-crowded causes them to fight.

The powerful mothering instinct in women is often used to denigrate women as stupid and emotions, and more like animals. Instead, we should see the link between species of similar mothering instincts to recognise the intelligence and sentience of animals, and have empathy for them.

Women’s bodies are abused for their reproductive potential, and female animals suffer reproductive abuse. There is a link.

The presence of a new slaughterhouse significantly raises violent and sexual crimes in the surrounding area, including rapes. If something unequivocally increases women being sexually abused, then it is a feminist concern.

Also women will be more impacted by climate change, and animal agriculture is one of the biggest causes of climate change. Not just from methane and other greenhouse gas emissions, but because it’s responsible for 94% of all deforestation.

So yes, animal agriculture is absolutely a feminist issue, and vegans should be allowed to talk about it without being attacked.

On the other hand saying “you can be this unless you’re also that” for any cause is unhelpful and provocative. Vegans ourselves are used to this, being lectured by uneducated hateful people that we “care about animals rather than humans” and listing all the ways in which vegans should be solely responsible for solving every single social problem in the entire world, before they’ll allow us to even think about animal agriculture.

There can also be infighting from a small number of new vegans, with some demanding that every other vegan has to agree with them on every other tangentially related cause.

It causes strife and achieves nothing, it doesn’t attract anyone to the extra causes are demanded of us.

I know feminists suffer similar and they refer to it as expecting them to be “activism nannies”. When these demands come from outsiders - like with outsiders attacking vegans - it’s mostly whataboutery by haters (who don’t give a tit about the causes they demand we spend our energy on) trying undermine the cause and its supporters.

So, in summary, while animal agriculture is definitely a feminist issue, I would never demand that if people support one cause they must support another, because it’s unhelpful and achieves nothing but ill feeling. People often only have the energy to devote their time to one cause. That’s ok, no one can save the world alone.

That said, feminists shouldn’t attack vegans for raising awareness of the harms of animal agriculture on women, or the abuse of female animals. Just pass over it if you’re not interested.

Demands to be-vegan-or-you’re-not feminist are over-simplified and absolutely unacceptable; simply talking about the links between feminism and veganism are fine. Any feminist who wants to shut vegans up knows we have a point, but doesn’t want to be vegan herself. Rather than just… not being vegan and respecting those who are, they want to stop vegans talking entirely to avoid their own mental discomfort.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion … as I’m sure some of you will agree … but as someone who really, really loves watching Four in a Bed, I hate the episodes with glamping and quite honestly I don’t think camping constitutes as a bed and breakfast 🤷🏼‍♀️
Especially when it’s “£204.39 a night at a three night stay rate”, the portaloo is a trek across a dark field, the bed linen is mismatched and there’s no breakfast but the owners say “they just don’t get the concept”. That ain’t glam! When it’s done well (rarely) it looks nice.

Reactions: 10
Especially when it’s “£204.39 a night at a three night stay rate”, the portaloo is a trek across a dark field, the bed linen is mismatched and there’s no breakfast but the owners say “they just don’t get the concept”. That ain’t glam! When it’s done well (rarely) it looks nice.
Exactly! I would never pay to sleep outside, without a shower, without a TV, without heating and a nice warm bed 😂 and it’s the fact it’s the price of a luxury hotel room somewhere really nice… surely it should cost less? It’s just not for me!

Reactions: 5
Those B&Bs on 4 in a Bed are always pricey. I'd prefer a Premier Inn with an all you can eat buffet breakfast the next day.

Reactions: 12

There is no milk without killing calves. Dairy cows are kept in a constant cycle of pregnancy and birth to keep their milk coming. (This often involves artificial insemination). The babies are torn from their mothers after a few days, if female they will usually be fed formula and raised to be dairy cows, if male they will be slaughtered for veal.

Dairy cows are bred to produce ten times more milk than is natural, leading to agonising mastitis. They spend their days hooked up to milking machines. They are slaughtered very young, about age 7 or younger, when their milk yields start to decline.

Hens are bred to produce an unnatural number of eggs. In the wild, they made a few clutches per year, like many birds. Domestic hens lay eggs constantly. This leaves them prone to cloacal prolapses, and cripples their bones with nutrient deficiencies. Most hens are factory farmed and kept imprisoned in small cages (even “enriched” cages are still small), and slaughtered very young, like cows. Most free range eggs come from hens that live in large, over-crowded sheds together, with theoretical access to outside space via small openings. In reality, many hens may not be able to reach the outside. Free range hens can have more injuries than factory-farmed, as being over-crowded causes them to fight.

The powerful mothering instinct in women is often used to denigrate women as stupid and emotions, and more like animals. Instead, we should see the link between species of similar mothering instincts to recognise the intelligence and sentience of animals, and have empathy for them.

Women’s bodies are abused for their reproductive potential, and female animals suffer reproductive abuse. There is a link.

The presence of a new slaughterhouse significantly raises violent and sexual crimes in the surrounding area, including rapes. If something unequivocally increases women being sexually abused, then it is a feminist concern.

Also women will be more impacted by climate change, and animal agriculture is one of the biggest causes of climate change. Not just from methane and other greenhouse gas emissions, but because it’s responsible for 94% of all deforestation.

So yes, animal agriculture is absolutely a feminist issue, and vegans should be allowed to talk about it without being attacked.

On the other hand saying “you can be this unless you’re also that” for any cause is unhelpful and provocative. Vegans ourselves are used to this, being lectured by uneducated hateful people that we “care about animals rather than humans” and listing all the ways in which vegans should be solely responsible for solving every single social problem in the entire world, before they’ll allow us to even think about animal agriculture.

There can also be infighting from a small number of new vegans, with some demanding that every other vegan has to agree with them on every other tangentially related cause.

It causes strife and achieves nothing, it doesn’t attract anyone to the extra causes are demanded of us.

I know feminists suffer similar and they refer to it as expecting them to be “activism nannies”. When these demands come from outsiders - like with outsiders attacking vegans - it’s mostly whataboutery by haters (who don’t give a tit about the causes they demand we spend our energy on) trying undermine the cause and its supporters.

So, in summary, while animal agriculture is definitely a feminist issue, I would never demand that if people support one cause they must support another, because it’s unhelpful and achieves nothing but ill feeling. People often only have the energy to devote their time to one cause. That’s ok, no one can save the world alone.

That said, feminists shouldn’t attack vegans for raising awareness of the harms of animal agriculture on women, or the abuse of female animals. Just pass over it if you’re not interested.

Demands to be-vegan-or-you’re-not feminist are over-simplified and absolutely unacceptable; simply talking about the links between feminism and veganism are fine. Any feminist who wants to shut vegans up knows we have a point, but doesn’t want to be vegan herself. Rather than just… not being vegan and respecting those who are, they want to stop vegans talking entirely to avoid their own mental discomfort.
This is such an insightful and well thought out post. I consume dairy but never thought about how it takes advantage of and abuses the female reproductive system. So it has definitely given me something to think about re: consumption of dairy and consider alternatives. Thank you for taking the time to explain :)

• Heart
Reactions: 15
All kinds of reasons. some put another out for collection a little way away from their home. others use them for compost bins or wormeries, storage etc
A wheelie bin thief must live locally then. Who would put a stinky rubbish bin in the back of their car?

I’ve just been reminded it’s bin day (once a month if we’re lucky) and I noticed all our neighbours have their house numbers spray painted on their bins. Must get a rattle can and personalise mine 😂

Reactions: 3
A wheelie bin thief must live locally then. Who would put a stinky rubbish bin in the back of their car?

I’ve just been reminded it’s bin day (once a month if we’re lucky) and I noticed all our neighbours have their house numbers spray painted on their bins. Must get a rattle can and personalise mine 😂
Yes make them recognisable, They don't even have to put them in cars or vans.. many just wheel them away. Many leave theirs out for days after collection I expect these ones get stolen the most.. some will be angry neighbours throwing them down a alleyway.

We have someone who leaves their bin outside my neighbours I believe its a 2nd bin as its never overflowing and they never seem to put out a recycle or garden bin its not a small family either.
It often goes missing when its been left for more than two days. its parked right under the window of next door so not surprised she pushes it down the ally, as the family will often walk past it. They all also park their cars outside our homes they live two streets away.

Reactions: 1

Fantastic post and I agree completely. I'm vegetarian but consume eggs and cheese, not milk, I will admit I didn't really know that about hen egg overproduction and it's given me some cause to think about what I can do about that.

There is absolutely overlap between the two concerns, but feminism is such a wide and diverse movement that it is nonsensical to even demand that everyone has the exact same feminism. It encompasses employment rights, reproductive rights, safety, law and order, misogyny, family life, bodily autonomy, medical care and a thousand other things. Everyone has their priority and as you say, caring about one cause doesn't give you a responsibility to fix every ill in the world before you focus on one.

Whataboutery is the worst form of silencing, and you're right that it is nearly always done by those who have no concern for anything except shutting you up. 'When is international men's day' indeed. Maybe if you actually cared so much about it, you would know.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
All kinds of reasons. some put another out for collection a little way away from their home. others use them for compost bins or wormeries, storage etc
Maggots in our bin, so whoever steals it for storage will get a nasty surprise

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 8
Genuine question - why do people steal wheelie bins?
I got mine cleaned by this company once, I put it out in the morning for the binmen, the company came by to clean it once it had been emptied and when I got home from work to bring my spanking clean wheelie bin in one of my bastard neighbours had taken in my lovely clean bin and left me with their bleeping stinky one. Fuming

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
I got mine cleaned by this company once, I put it out in the morning for the binmen, the company came by to clean it once it had been emptied and when I got home from work to bring my spanking clean wheelie bin in one of my bastard neighbours had taken in my lovely clean bin and left me with their bleeping stinky one. Fuming
I would have tracked them down and nicked your stolen bin back, then replaced it with theirs, full to the brim with dog poo. Not bagged up dog poo either. I'd have to make friends with a few people with enormous dogs first, which might be a bit weird though. Hey, you with the American Bulldog/Doberman/Staffie, can I have your dog's tit? :D :D

• Haha
Reactions: 6
The one thing that gets my neighbours talking to each other is when the binmen have missed our street out 😅
Actually reminded me, a few months ago one of the neighbours decided to overflow a few other bins on the street (meaning they won't get emptied). The binmen arrived and atleast 4 neighbours came out their houses and watched them to make sure their bin was emptied. Felt a little sorry for the binmen if I'm honest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.