Unpopular Opinions #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How does this work? Has anyone here seen this because I do not understand how they can pull off a young black girl growing into a white woman for example?

Never heard of Micheal Jackson. Now had the black girl grown into a white man, that would be worth thinking about.

Reactions: 2
I don’t mind diverse casting or blind casting, whatever it’s called. I didn’t have a problem with Anne Boleyn being played by Jodie Turner Smith for example. People who say it’s changing our history I find hilarious because it’s not a documentary. If they were claiming that Anne Boleyn herself was a black woman then yes, that would be stupid. But unless it’s a documentary I don’t mind if things are given a creative license. It also stops the same old same old boring white blonde actresses who seem to be in everything - Margot Robbie? Saoirse Ronan? Kristen Stewart? All I ask is that they can act. And do the correct accent.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I don’t mind diverse casting or blind casting, whatever it’s called. I didn’t have a problem with Anne Boleyn being played by Jodie Turner Smith for example. People who say it’s changing our history I find hilarious because it’s not a documentary. If they were claiming that Anne Boleyn herself was a black woman then yes, that would be stupid. But unless it’s a documentary I don’t mind if things are given a creative license. It also stops the same old same old boring white blonde actresses who seem to be in everything - Margot Robbie? Saoirse Ronan? Kristen Stewart? All I ask is that they can act. And do the correct accent.
But it would be seen as wrong if for example, they made a film about Martin Luther King and cast Brad Pitt to play him

• Heart
Reactions: 24
But it would be seen as wrong if for example, they made a film about Martin Luther King and cast Brad Pitt to play him
I was going to make that point.

It's like when they go on about gay actors should play gay roles. Well, the likes of Luke Evans and Jonathan Bailey make a good living out of playing heterosexual men.

I never get the whole trans actor's should play trans roles or disabled actors should play disabled roles. I do wish that casting directors just generally did more diverse casting. Liz Carr is a good example. She popped up in the last series of The Witcher just as a character. Not a disabled character.

Chas Bono sometimes is cast as a man, sometimes cast as a trans man.

Reactions: 14
the only difference is that we all know what MLK looked like, we've heard him speak, we know his voice. He is very much a part of modern history.

Reactions: 2
If it’s a film/show about his life, a black man leading the civil rights movement, of course you need a black man to play him. Whenever white historical figures have had their stories told through films they’re always played by white actors because often they’re made to look like the real person. However, if it’s a made up tv show it doesn’t really matter if a poc is playing some rich aristocrat, even if it’s highly unlikely that would actually happen, because it’s not real. Same with musicals, I know SIX is based on historical events but it’s a modern retelling, so it doesn’t matter that the cast isn’t completely white.

Reactions: 7
the only difference is that we all know what MLK looked like, we've heard him speak, we know his voice. He is very much a part of modern history.
We know Anne Boleyn was white with dark hair.

I don't personally care but these things are done as stunt casting. Casting a black woman as Anne Boleyn actually distracted from the programme. Most people were talking about the casting rather than programme itself.

Reactions: 13
With the exception of blackface, actors are actors and should be able to play gay/trans if they are straight, or vice versa etc and if they are the most talented and realistic person to audition. Anything else is box ticking and performative bullshit.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
If it’s a film/show about his life, a black man leading the civil rights movement, of course you need a black man to play him. Whenever white historical figures have had their stories told through films they’re always played by white actors because often they’re made to look like the real person. However, if it’s a made up tv show it doesn’t really matter if a poc is playing some rich aristocrat, even if it’s highly unlikely that would actually happen, because it’s not real. Same with musicals, I know SIX is based on historical events but it’s a modern retelling, so it doesn’t matter that the cast isn’t completely white.
Bridgerton is a brilliant example of colourblind casting and it works. It works though because, apart from Queen Charlotte, all the characters are fictional.

I believe assisted dying should be legal in the UK
i can’t think of an opinion i agree with more.

i have never understood this need for people to fight illnesses they know are terminal right until the end. everyone deserves the right to die with dignity and peace and in the manner they wish.

a close family member of mine and his dog were diagnosed with cancer in the same week (which was sorta darkly funny at the time). the moment that the dog was in too much pain to go on, he was peacefully put to sleep. the family member had to go through months of treatments we knew probably wouldn’t work, lost their sight, ability to speak, to communicate with us etc - why? why do we put people through this?

i think the key difference there is that mlk’s race is vital to his story. if he’s played by a white man, then the “point” is lost.

i think those circumstances are very much the minority though and, for the most part, i agree that the part should simply just go to the best person who auditions.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
i think the key difference there is that mlk’s race is vital to his story. if he’s played by a white man, then the “point” is lost.
Absolutely. If I saw Brad Pitt had been cast as MLK I'd think the world had gone bonkers.

It was just an extreme example of stunt casting.

Reactions: 4
I never got the whole Little Britain thing. I always found it to be childish, unfunny and creepy.

For some people - who lack a proper education - historical dramas are their "history lesson". You and I know that Anne Bolelyn is white but you cannot be sure others do 🤷‍♀️

Taking artistical liberties - by portraying characters outside the realm of the authors intention - is being disingenuous to the storyline (IMO).

I find it interesting that accents are important to you but how someone looks is not :unsure: I want the whole shebang. AND I want the costumes and scenery to portray the time period on point :LOL:

UO - Also, Kristen Stewart is a tit actress. Her depth is as deep as a puddle. I am so sick and tired of seeing her sullen / inexpressible face.

Reactions: 15
For some people - who lack a proper education - historical dramas are their "history lesson". You and I know that Anne Bolelyn is white but you cannot be sure others do 🤷‍♀️
But it’s not the job of the production to educate people. If you’re watching a drama then there will always be creative liberties. From small things to massive things. If a person goes away believing everything they saw is true, that is their fault not the production’s.

I find it interesting that accents are important to you but how someone looks is not
When I say accents I mean if you are going to do an English/Irish accent, do it properly. Don’t Dick Van Dyke it.

AND I want the costumes and scenery to portray the time period on point
This used to bug me so much but then I just went with it. So many historical dramas portray outfits hideously wrong. Plus you always get the actress making a comment a it how corsets weren’t feminist or were too restricting to do anything and were painful to wear.

UO - Also, Kristen Stewart is a tit actress. Her depth is as deep as a puddle. I am so sick and tired of seeing her sullen / inexpressible face.
We both 100% agree on this point though! 🥂

Reactions: 5
My favourite Kristen Stewart performance is her in Panic Room, when she was just a kid! I do feel personally like shes super overrated. Perhaps there is a performance of hers that is great but lesser known as there seems to be lots of people who regard her as a good actress.

Reactions: 3
I don't really care about this to be honest. Frozen has a talking snowman puppet in it, operated by an actor on stage. If you can suspend your disbelief for that, I think you can suspend your disbelief for the child actors being a different race than the adults. It's a musical on stage, about a woman with magical ice powers. You naturally have to take things with a grain of salt.
That's Frozen though.. and musicals in general but I also see this happening in plays. I am an adult and not really into fantasy experiences... which Is why I also mentioned The Glass Menagerie in my initial post

I was going to make that point.

It's like when they go on about gay actors should play gay roles. Well, the likes of Luke Evans and Jonathan Bailey make a good living out of playing heterosexual men.

I never get the whole trans actor's should play trans roles or disabled actors should play disabled roles. I do wish that casting directors just generally did more diverse casting. Liz Carr is a good example. She popped up in the last series of The Witcher just as a character. Not a disabled character.

Chas Bono sometimes is cast as a man, sometimes cast as a trans man.
I admit I might have a certain interest in these topics seeing as how my partner is an actor (who has played a number of roles differing from their own sexuality and even once gender) however my thought is always it's acting.. it's in the name..I do agree that there should be more diverse casting and was thrilled to see Liz Carr just as a character.. I am also thinking of a disabled male actor whose name escapes me.. as well as times when Peter Dinklage has just played a character without any reference of relevance to his size..However insisting that actors are trans or the same sexuality or disability as the roles just narrows down the casting choices and may even mean that these stories and sections of the community are less portrayed.. and sorry to say would we rather see a actor of lesser ability cast just because they fit the role IRL or do we want to experience the performance of the most skilled professional?

I find this topic a tricky grey area personally. Half of me always wants to say it's in the name.. my partner has played gay rent boys. pdophiles, serial killers , middle aged mothers, attorneys,etc etc and he is none of the above

l. Same with musicals, I know SIX is based on historical events but it’s a modern retelling, so it doesn’t matter that the cast isn’t completely white.
I always thought Six was more of a themed gig.. like a girl band singing songs about history rather than an actual musical

I never got the whole Little Britain thing. I always found it to be childish, unfunny and creepy.
ditto League Of Gentlemen

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I admit I might have a certain interest in these topics seeing as how my partner is an actor (who has played a number of roles differing from their own sexuality and even once gender) however my thought is always it's acting.. it's in the name..I do agree that there should be more diverse casting and was thrilled to see Liz Carr just as a character.. I am also thinking of a disabled male actor whose name escapes me.. as well as times when Peter Dinklage has just played a character without any reference of relevance to his size..However insisting that actors are trans or the same sexuality or disability as the roles just narrows down the casting choices and may even mean that these stories and sections of the community are less portrayed.. and sorry to say would we rather see a actor of lesser ability cast just because they fit the role IRL or do we want to experience the performance of the most skilled professional?

I find this topic a tricky grey area personally. Half of me always wants to say it's in the name.. my partner has played gay rent boys. pdophiles, serial killers , middle aged mothers, attorneys,etc etc and he is none of the above
It is a grey area and theatre gets away with a lot more experimentation than TV or films do. Just look at how many female Hamlet's we've had over the years.

There is also the business side of making these things. If you're putting millions into a production you need it to sell and be appealing. If that means putting Eddie Redmayne in the lead of The Danish Girl instead of an unknown trans actor then that's what will happen.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.