Unpopular Opinions #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Last discussing same sex schools, white goods and blocking/ignoring posters on tattle ....

I agree with the original point that appliances especially white goods are not made to last. They want it to bust after 5 years so you have to buy new, it's in their business model and it's not even secret.
I have just had a guy here fixing my 8 year old washing machine. I half expected him to say it wasn't economical to replace but no, just wear and tear on a basic part and off we go again. Pleasantly surprised.

I agree about sofa's though. We used to have sofa's for years but have had two sofa's in 5 years. That's not very good when all you do is sit on it and watch the TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
My friend changes her colour scheme every 2 years, so her curtains, cushions, carpets and sofas are all chucked out and replaced. Fortunately, she donates them to BHF who then sell them on, but even so, it's just so wasteful. In the time I've known her she's gone from minimalist black leather and chrome, to country cottage chintz, and is currently embracing the crushed grey velvet trend. She's already planning her next look.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 27
Last discussing same sex schools, white goods and blocking/ignoring posters on tattle ....

I have just had a guy here fixing my 8 year old washing machine. I half expected him to say it wasn't economical to replace but no, just wear and tear on a basic part and off we go again. Pleasantly surprised.

I agree about sofa's though. We used to have sofa's for years but have had two sofa's in 5 years. That's not very good when all you do is sit on it and watch the TV.
My sisters boiler is a floor mounted Potterton , it's from 1971. It wouldn't start up last year so she called a plumber out during the lockdown, expecting them to say replace it ....nope. he went off and bought loads of new parts for its internals, and said while I'm here, I may as well give it a complete overhaul as all the parts are still available. He did, and balanced the gas , issued a certificate for her and said its quality, works perfectly and to keep it. She has!

• Heart
Reactions: 21
"I find it very creepy when fathers and brothers protect their daughters/sisters vaginity, but the males are all hounds.

It's like I can't duck her so I don't want anyone else to.

They also argue that "they know what guys are like". Well instead of keeping her locked up with a chastity belt, teach her what men to watch out for and how to handle creeps."

Honestly, I could not agree with this post more.

Also, men who view a woman's worth by the state of her hymen are disgusting, vile, putrid, despots. Stoning women? Pouring acid on women? And these actions are done by members of HER family?! There are no words to express my utter contempt for these individuals. Your actions are not because you seek justice for your god. Your actions are to demean, humiliate, suppress and mentally torture women. Period.

You are nothing but weak pathetic individuals not worthy of the love and support of women.

Reactions: 44
My friend changes her colour scheme every 2 years, so her curtains, cushions, carpets and sofas are all chucked out and replaced. Fortunately, she donates them to BHF who then sell them on, but even so, it's just so wasteful. In the time I've known her she's gone from minimalist black leather and chrome, to country cottage chintz, and is currently embracing the crushed grey velvet trend. She's already planning her next look.
What is wrong with these people? Who can even be arsed to redecorate that often? I painted my living room and kitchen for the first time in about 6 years and it was an annoying, messy job. I haven’t even finished touching up the edges nor have I got a new rug to match the new colour scheme yet because I’m just over the whole decorating thing for now. Can’t be doing with keeping up with decorating trends, just pick a style you like who cares if it’s on trend or not?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 25

So oven bust and guy came out and fixed for 90 with parts, which I thought was pretty fair and a lot less than a new oven.

With washing machines I guess it depends on what model you have and what's wrong. When the guy came out to fix my machine door that was like 75 and he said if it fell off again order a new door online and watch a YouTube how to because his firm would be charging upwards of 250! I might as well get a new machine for that.

When I was a kid we were always taking the toaster or the video machine to be repaired. I doubt anyone would do the same for small appliances now.

Reactions: 6
I know someone like this too. She has Pinterest boards for 2022, 2023 and 2024 and they are full of the intended room changes.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Re: Repairing broken stuff; my UO is that the fast fashion items aren't all low quality junk. You can buy cheap clothes and wear them for a long time.

I've had tops and trousers that I've worn for nearly a decade, they're all from high street brands. It's true, the clothes lose their shape in time but it's also not that hard to wash them properly and take care of them well. If I get a hole or a tear, I just mend it. I've worn a 5 quid coat from Primark for years, I just used a fabric shaver to remove the pilling, hung it using a hanger instead of the collar and got it dry cleaned once a year. They've lasted me well enough, nobody would mistake them for designer clothes but I don't care as long as I look put together, clean and tidy.

A lot of designer clothes are also produced by modern day slaves for insanely low wages, the guilty part is not the low income person who needs to buy cheap clothes in order to dress themselves. It's the industry that constantly creates microtrends for people to consume, people who buy a piece of clothing to wear it once and then send it off to the landfill, and the corporations that don't want to fork out for living wages and safe work spaces for their employees because they want bigger profit. I hate it when rich woke people on Instagram shame others for shopping at H&M and Primark. If you want change, hold the right part accountable.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
"I find it very creepy when fathers and brothers protect their daughters/sisters vaginity, but the males are all hounds.

It's like I can't duck her so I don't want anyone else to.

They also argue that "they know what guys are like". Well instead of keeping her locked up with a chastity belt, teach her what men to watch out for and how to handle creeps."

Honestly, I could not agree with this post more.

Also, men who view a woman's worth by the state of her hymen are disgusting, vile, putrid, despots. Stoning women? Pouring acid on women? And these actions are done by members of HER family?! There are no words to express my utter contempt for these individuals. Your actions are not because you seek justice for your god. Your actions are to demean, humiliate, suppress and mentally torture women. Period.

You are nothing but weak pathetic individuals not worthy of the love and support of women.
Honestly, it creeps me out a bit even when well meaning guys say stuff like "Imagine if that was your sister/mother/daughter" when they read about something tragic happening to a woman usually at the hands of other men. Its a bit disturbing. Can they not empathise or feel for women they aren't directly related to?

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I think private reg plates are a complete waste of time, serve no purpose and if anything a sure fire way to let vandals know whose car it is.

Reactions: 40
I think TV channels that show old 1980s shows should just show them as they are and not preface them with warnings about outdated sexist or racist attitudes or whatever.

Last night I was watching an Only Fools and Horses repeat and just before Roger Lloyd-Pack's character appeared, up popped a bloody trigger warning! Ridiculous!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
I think private reg plates are a complete waste of time, serve no purpose and if anything a sure fire way to let vandals know whose car it is.
It’s certainly a sure fire way of letting everyone know the driver is a wanker :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 26
We always seem to take the Eurovision so seriously each year. When all we really need to do is send in a total pile of wank. 🤷🏻‍♀️😆
See, I think we mostly take the piss out of Eurovision and see it as a bit of a joke. Graham Norton's tongue in cheek commentary is a case in point.

Hardly any 'good' UK artists want to compete in it because it's seen as naff and something you'll carry around for the rest of your (potentially short) career. Hence why our entries are usually from someone you've never heard of and are a load of pap.

Some countries take it really seriously. For example Sweden that has a contest called Melodifestivalen, which this year had 28 contestants and lasted for six weeks with various rounds. The winner is Sweden's entry. We often don't even get one chance to vote on a competitor.

Honestly, it creeps me out a bit even when well meaning guys say stuff like "Imagine if that was your sister/mother/daughter" when they read about something tragic happening to a woman usually at the hands of other men. Its a bit disturbing. Can they not empathise or feel for women they aren't directly related to?
Agreed. So many times men will start their points with "As a husband and father of a daughter..." as though their viewpoint is more valid than men who aren't married or have daughters.

I have neither and yet I'm still absolutely in favour of equal rights for women and think there's still far too much misogyny and sexism around.

Reactions: 21
Energy prices are rocketing, prices of food and fuel are going up on a daily basis. NI contributions have been increased by the government and hundreds of thousands are falling into fuel and food poverty and what do our leaders do ?

The chancellor knocks 5p off fuel duty that is wiped out in 5 days of fuel price rises.

Yet we are giving tens of millions of pounds of arms to Ukraine (the govt has refused to say what arms or how much exactly but its said it could be hundredsof millions) with a pledge of even more and have said they expect no payment for them in cash or kind.

Sanctions are only going to push prices up here and make us even worse off.

By all means support Ukraine but I don't believe it should be limitless and at the expense of ruining my hard earned standard of living.

Unpopular I don't doubt this will be but is my opinion that those millions would be better spent here.

Supply them with arms but on credit or lend lease like the Americans did with us in WW2, not just give them away.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 33
Energy prices are rocketing, prices of food and fuel are going up on a daily basis. NI contributions have been increased by the government and hundreds of thousands are falling into fuel and food poverty and what do our leaders do ?

The chancellor knocks 5p off fuel duty that is wiped out in 5 days of fuel price rises.

Yet we are giving tens of millions of pounds of arms to Ukraine (the govt has refused to say what arms or how much exactly but its said it could be hundredsof millions) with a pledge of even more and have said they expect no payment for them in cash or kind.

By all means support Ukraine but I don't believe it should be limitless and at the expense of ruining my hard earned standard of living.

Unpopular I don't doubt this will be but is my opinion.
Yeah I disagree. People are literally dying.

Reactions: 15

Unpopular I don't doubt this will be but is my opinion that those millions would be better spent here.

Supply them with arms but on credit or lend lease like the Americans did with us in WW2, not just give them away.
People are dying. Innocent bystanders. Be grateful you have a standard of living to maintain.

Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.