Unpopular Opinions #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I actually love fig rolls too. But whenever I buy them for the kids they're not keen. They'd pick a boring malted milk over a fig roll. So then it's left up to me to eat them all.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Diverse casting is admirable and a much needed step but sometimes it verges on the ridiculous.. Not only does the upcoming West End Production of The Glass Menagerie feature a black cast member which given the setting.location and time period is highly unlikely, I have just witnessed the following.

YT showed me an ad for Frozen the Musical. I thought I recognised one of the girls so went to the production website to see if I was correct and found the following on the Cast and Creatives page..

Elsa and Anna both played by 2 white women,
Young Anna options - one Oriental girl, one white blonde girl.One Black girl . one mixed race or Asian girl
Young Elsa options - 3 blondes and a black girl.

How does this work? Has anyone here seen this because I do not understand how they can pull off a young black girl growing into a white woman for example?

I think it was still quite common until recently!!! My boss was quite defensive of the McCanns and it was obvious it was because this is what they did when they went on family holidays.

Her grandkids were aged under 10 at that point.

But I do think Madeline changed that situation. Suddenly parents realised they were playing with fire. J
You say that but a few days after the Jamie Bulger incident broke we visited the Arndale centre in Manchester and people were still leaving their children unattended..

Reactions: 8
That's the thing, kids were left alone, I was left alone in a hotel room (I cried the entire time). But it was a locked hotel room with a room check every hour or something from the babysitting service and a phone link to the babysitter.

Maddie was in an apartment, it wasn't an enclosed holiday park or complex. It was just apartment on a public road. And they left their kids in there with the door unlocked. Is anyone really that irresponsible.

And they chose not to use the babysitting service. They chose to leave their kids alone instead.
Door unlocked is sooo suspicious to me anyway. Dunno if I believe it.
Was it really unlocked? If you were leaving your kids you’d think that they’d make sure they was double locked. I’d triple check then check again.
Did they leave it unlocked on purpose? Did they say it was unlocked to make it look like a kidnap to lead the police a different direction

Reactions: 5
I've always found the McCanns weird. Godawful losing a child but there's something that always sets off a small ringing bell in the back of my head.....I can't put my finger on it

Reactions: 15
I like watching period dramas and plays that are historically accurate > Depicting actors who LOOK and ACT like their role. It's not being prejudiced, it's being historically accurate.

Also..

I despise Christmas cards showing Mary as a blonde and Jesus with blue eyes. They are not Barbie and Ken dolls FFS. Stop white washing Jesus to suit your own insecurities. It's OK that Jesus is NOT white. If you have a problem with THAT maybe you should turn in your Christian membership card.

Reactions: 19
Ou - I hate Micheal Jackson, I hate his music, I hate how insain everyone went for him.

He was a weird bloke, dresses in werid clothes, marketed to kids while grabbing his crotch and singing crappy pop music. His cancellation was no great loss, just need one of Queen to be caught fiddling now and we can get rid of their tit music too.
I read that as THE queen caught fiddling at first😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
YT showed me an ad for Frozen the Musical. I thought I recognised one of the girls so went to the production website to see if I was correct and found the following on the Cast and Creatives page..

Elsa and Anna both played by 2 white women,
Young Anna options - one Oriental girl, one white blonde girl.One Black girl . one mixed race or Asian girl
Young Elsa options - 3 blondes and a black girl.

How does this work? Has anyone here seen this because I do not understand how they can pull off a young black girl growing into a white woman for example?
If we're talking about the UK, most major musicals do this, I think it's at least partly because they need several child actors for each role so specifying a particular race would narrow the field quite a bit. (There are a few exceptions, The Lion King and the UK tour of Bedknobs and Broomsticks come to mind.) Even then, the alternate / understudy is not always the same race as the main actor e.g. the current alternate Elsa is Black so even if all the child Elsas looked like Samantha Barks, there will be a difference when she isn't performing

Reactions: 5
If we're talking about the UK, most major musicals do this, I think it's at least partly because they need several child actors for each role so specifying a particular race would narrow the field quite a bit. (There are a few exceptions, The Lion King and the UK tour of Bedknobs and Broomsticks come to mind.) Even then, the alternate / understudy is not always the same race as the main actor e.g. the current alternate Elsa is Black so even if all the child Elsas looked like Samantha Barks, there will be a difference when she isn't performing
I don't really care about this to be honest. Frozen has a talking snowman puppet in it, operated by an actor on stage. If you can suspend your disbelief for that, I think you can suspend your disbelief for the child actors being a different race than the adults. It's a musical on stage, about a woman with magical ice powers. You naturally have to take things with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 15
I don't really care about this to be honest. Frozen has a talking snowman puppet in it, operated by an actor on stage. If you can suspend your disbelief for that, I think you can suspend your disbelief for the child actors being a different race than the adults. It's a musical on stage, about a woman with magical ice powers. You naturally have to take things with a grain of salt.
I agree, I don't think it bothers the kids to be honest - I'd be a bit more worried about seat prices (niece and nephew would like to go but I won't be taking them any time soon lol)

Reactions: 6
Thanks. I genuinely didn't know that as I don' t tend to watch/like musicals or anything with children in.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.