Unpopular Opinions #15

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not all babies/kids are cute. I am sick and tired of people bringing in their kids to work meetings and expect the whole group to go goo goo ga ga over how cute the tiny humans are. Some of them, I find are cute kids, but most of them aren’t! And if you don’t drop everything to comment on how cute the kid is, you come off as a proper witch. I just don’t like children that much lol.
Note: I was a proper ugly child with a bowl cut. And I do compliment kids when they are actually cute/nice/etc.
That's true about not all babies and kids being cute.
My son was a good example of that! You know when they say he has a face only a mother could love? Well that was him! 😬
In fact I remember one of the nurses going around the maternity ward, after he was born, cooing at all the babies....oh how lovely etc etc....
Well when she got to my son she was literally speechless, :D stumbled over her words and mumbled something about him being a big lad,(All 10 pounds 3 ounces and red faced and scowling) and left in a hurry!

Sometimes people just can't lie! :D Also why should they? I think we place far too much emphasis on looks?
In Albanian culture (for example) it's different.
Why because the expectation is one of modesty, and also it's considered to bring bad luck to babies or children (evil eye) to give too many compliments!
So I agree that it's narcissistic of parents to expect their babies and children to be praised to the skies, or to expect others to fixate on their appearance and be complimentary about it. 🤷‍♀️ It just goes to show what the parents place value on?

If a parent has the good fortune to have a healthy or happy child, then that's enough to be happy about.
Yeah raise a toast to a long and healthy or happy life, but no one should expect others to bullshit that their baby or child is going to be the next super model! Or expect others to gasp with awe at just how amazing or special their kids (and by extension the parents) are!
That's just arrogant in my maybe unpopular opinion!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Not all babies/kids are cute. I am sick and tired of people bringing in their kids to work meetings and expect the whole group to go goo goo ga ga over how cute the tiny humans are. Some of them, I find are cute kids, but most of them aren’t! And if you don’t drop everything to comment on how cute the kid is, you come off as a proper witch. I just don’t like children that much lol.
Note: I was a proper ugly child with a bowl cut. And I do compliment kids when they are actually cute/nice/etc.
I see newborns every day as part of my job and I say to every single mum that I meet, that their baby is "such a cutie". Most of the time I'm lying! 😂😂 We do sometimes see a properly beautiful baby though and it's hard not to show our surprise. I saw one just after Christmas, she had eyelashes to die for, a proper head of hair and was dressed in a gorgeous red cardigan, and she just looked so wide awake and serene. I looked in the pram and said "Oh, I want to keep her!" Luckily, I'd already met her mum so she didn't think I was a complete weirdo. I did want to keep her though!

Reactions: 9
That's true about not all babies and kids being cute.
My son was a good example of that! You know when they say he has a face only a mother could love? Well that was him! 😬
In fact I remember one of the nurses going around the maternity ward, after he was born, cooing at all the babies....oh how lovely etc etc....
Well when she got to my son she was literally speechless, :D stumbled over her words and mumbled something about him being a big lad,(All 10 pounds 3 ounces and red faced and scowling) and left in a hurry!

Sometimes people just can't lie! :D Also why should they? I think we place far too much emphasis on looks?
In Albanian culture (for example) it's different.
Why because the expectation is one of modesty, and also it's considered to bring bad luck to babies or children (evil eye) to give too many compliments!
So I agree that it's narcissistic of parents to expect their babies and children to be praised to the skies, or to expect others to fixate on their appearance and be complimentary about it. 🤷‍♀️ It just goes to show what the parents place value on?

If a parent has the good fortune to have a healthy or happy child, then that's enough to be happy about.
Yeah raise a toast to a long and healthy or happy life, but no one should expect others to bullshit that their baby or child is going to be the next super model! Or expect others to gasp with awe at just how amazing or special their kids (and by extension the parents) are!
That's just arrogant in my maybe unpopular opinion!
I totally agree! My mom had to C-section me out a month early and I was tiny and yellow from jaundice. I was a sickly and ugly child up until middle school, too. If anyone didn’t compliment how cute I am to my mom, I’m cool with that. 😂 My mom was just very relieved I lived into my adulthood!

Such a shame a lot of parents these days shove photos of their young children on social media daily, fishing for compliments about the young kids’ appearances. I’m cool with people posting whatever they want. But I’ve heard people get mad because their Facebook friends won’t heart react their babies’ pictures. 😩 There was beef about that among my school friends who are now moms. Unnecessary.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
The Brits are shite. Bit like the BAFTAs. Does anyone really care, it’s the Emmy and Oscar they’re after.

UO in the clothes shops vein - River Island have no business charging £50 for a kids coat or £35 for boots for a 2 year old. If you shop there for kids full price, you’ve got more money than sense. It’s also very young parents I usually see with kids wearing it too, Instagram has a lot to answer for.
All children’s clothes should be unbranded imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
The Brits are shite. Bit like the BAFTAs. Does anyone really care, it’s the Emmy and Oscar they’re after.

UO in the clothes shops vein - River Island have no business charging £50 for a kids coat of £35 for boots for a 2 year old. If you shop there for kids full price, you’ve got more money than sense. It’s also very young parents I usually see with kids wearing it too, Instagram has a lot to answer for.
All children’s clothes should be unbranded imo.
i bought one of my favourite dresses for my then 5 year old from RI. It was neon salmon pink (hard to explain the colour) underneath with a off white lace overlay. It was in the sale, she wore it loads, it came up like new every time it was washed and I sold it on eBay for about the same I bought it for, maybe more. Didn’t ever manage to get anything else good from there though.

Reactions: 3
i bought one of my favourite dresses for my then 5 year old from RI. It was neon salmon pink (hard to explain the colour) underneath with a off white lace overlay. It was in the sale, she wore it loads, it came up like new every time it was washed and I sold it on eBay for about the same I bought it for, maybe more. Didn’t ever manage to get anything else good from there though.
I do forget about the kids clothes resale market. I guess it’s sort of like sale shopping if you can get 50% or so back secondhand. It does look nice quality but, I’m not looking for longevity in baby clothes for how quick they grow. I just can’t fathom £50 for a baby/toddler for a few months - I guess if people sell on or hand down siblings it makes more sense but still, I don’t think RI has the credentials for those prices.

I like that Adele said she loved being a woman and a female artist. I think the gender neutral thing is stupid at the awards ceremony.

Reactions: 28
I do forget about the kids clothes resale market. I guess it’s sort of like sale shopping if you can get 50% or so back secondhand. It does look nice quality but, I’m not looking for longevity in baby clothes for how quick they grow. I just can’t fathom £50 for a baby/toddler for a few months - I guess if people sell on or hand down siblings it makes more sense but still, I don’t think RI has the credentials for those prices.
A friend of mine has a girl a year older than my youngest. She used to pass on outgrown baby clothes. It was all designer labels. The stuff I didn’t use I’d send to charity. I was so tempted to eBay it but that would be mean. She didn’t buy the clothes, her mother in law did, often spending well over £100 on a outfit. Some of it was outrageously naff (head to foot Burberry on a one year old, anyone?) but other pieces were lovely. Some of it was obviously designer and I’d always tell people it was a hand me down in case the thought I was spaffing my maternity pay on it 😂

• Haha
It can be quite awkward, I've got nothing against babies but also i don't want to hug, hold or kiss them 😬 animals yes, babies no :LOL:

Reactions: 7
I mentioned attachment issues. I don’t think mums who BF have attachment issues unless they’re BF a walking, talking toddler who is capable of asking what’s for dinner. By then a child should be eating a healthy, well balanced diet. I know the World Health Organisation has aged 5/6 I can’t remember exactly but if you’re living in a developed country, there is literally no need or health/bonding benefit to a child that age. The only reason I can see about mums who do extended BF is an attachment issue and bordering on emotional abuse especially if they are of school age. If their peers ever caught wind of it they will be made a target for bullying. Especially since extended breastfeeding is bragged about online, fancy come high school their friends come across a photo of them online aged 5 sucking milk from their mum. 🤢 I remember a documentary that was aired on TV about a woman BF her 9! Yes NINE year old daughter, I just thought mum was a creep with attachment issues.
That is an extreme and yes weird.

But weaning is not that easy. Children get very attached to milk. My daughter was walking and talking at 11 months, I weaned at 15 months because I wanted to. She would happily still have milk at 3. I was lucky that she accepted weaning. But some kids are stubborn as tit. Would I still breastfeed over 3, no. But if I had a kid who was a bit of a nightmare and refused to wean and would only settle with a bf, I can imagine going to 2 maybe even 3.

Id say over 3 is really weird. But just because a kid is walking and talking it doesn't mean the mum is a freak or has attachment issues because she still bfs.

Reactions: 5
If people want to spend money on designer clothes for their babies and they have the means to, then go for it! If I enough disposable money I probably would.

However RIs prices for childrens clothes are ridiculous. I can’t deny some of it looks very good quality but it is just overpriced high street clobber at the end of the day.

Some babies are also weird looking. My first was like a cherub, my second was scrawny and wrinkly like a little old pensioner and appeared like he had extra skin he needed to grow into. My mum didn’t mince her words and the first thing she said when she met him was “wow he’s an ugly baby”.

Also Adele bores the life out of me. I don’t like any of her songs.

That is an extreme and yes weird.

But weaning is not that easy. Children get very attached to milk. My daughter was walking and talking at 11 months, I weaned at 15 months because I wanted to. She would happily still have milk at 3. I was lucky that she accepted weaning. But some kids are stubborn as tit. Would I still breastfeed over 3, no. But if I had a kid who was a bit of a nightmare and refused to wean and would only settle with a bf, I can imagine going to 2 maybe even 3.

Id say over 3 is really weird. But just because a kid is walking and talking it doesn't mean the mum is a freak or has attachment issues because she still bfs.
On the same note though, like someone else said, even a child of school age gobbling formula from a baby bottle (unless of course they have a disability) isn’t that less weird. Lazy parenting and babifying children.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
River Island kids clothes are too adult. I find it creepy.

My son looked like a monster when he was born. I Was actually quite taken aback by it. His face settled down in a few days though. Newborns are nearly always very odd looking and have an old man feel about them. I think most babies are cute, but there is a sweet spot between about 4 and 10 months. Outside of those ages only a minority are actually cute.

I find the obsession with girls looks unsettling. I know a couple of mums with daughter that are obsessed with how cute/beautiful they are. I think these girls are going to get real complexes about their looks. Especially as that cute little girl look starts to fade in many at school age. It must really duck you up to grow up being told how attractive you are and how important that is, if you actually turn out quite ordinary or even minging.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
This probably won't be an UO but I think it's fucked up the amount of people who think Zouma (footballer) kicking his cat around the house isn't a big deal or that bad...

• Heart
Reactions: 26
This probably won't be an UO but I think it's fucked up the amount of people who think Zouma (footballer) kicking his cat around the house isn't a big deal or that bad...
I don’t even like cats in the slightest but found this really awful.

Reactions: 12
[QUOTE"Jesus, post: 8366933, member: 239771"]
[/QUOTE]
Well it shows dedication to the sport. He will literally practice football with anything.

Obviously I'm joking. It's very strange. But I think maybe some psychological testing and a course in animal cruelty would be more fitting than losing his job.

I just hate this culter of people losing their job over everything. I know what he did was particularly bad. But we've had people lose their jobs over tweets before. Punish people for the crime as per our laws. That's should be enough.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I would love to have cats. I had them before and adored them but developed an allergy so when they died of old age I didn’t get any more. I particularly love the type of cat in the video and they’re my dream moggy. That video sickened me, like every normal human, whether they like cats or not. The poor defenceless soul. Also doing that in front of kids, WTF?! I’d give the cat a loving and safe home in a heartbeat (though my dog might object) and put up with the sneezing if he was mine.

I can never understand why people who hurt animals want to own them. It’s quite easy not to have a pet!

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.