Unpopular Opinions #15

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wonder how many lovely looking ladies are going to regret those God Awful giant moths when they go out of fashion. I REALLY like tattoos if done well and they’re meaningful and unique and scripted neck tattoos on a man look sexy. However “trendy” tattoos just don’t age well. You can usually tell someone’s age by what trendy tattoos they have. The tribal and Chinese brigade are all in their 40-50s now. The paw printed chest lot are slightly younger late 30s to mid 40s. I believe the rapper Eve made them popular. Then anyone below the age of 35 are inked with dream catchers, geometric bollox, hamza hands and little flying birds.

My sister has had a selection of sugar skulls for about 15-20 years way before they became “trendy”. But they’re really popular now and can soon be considered a modern day woman stamp.
People have turned against the sugar skull and the dream catcher as it's cultural appropriation. Mandalas will be next.

I'm not an advocate of cultural appropriation, but even though I like the asthetic of sugar skulls and mandalas, I personally wouldn't get them tattooed. Just because it seems weird to me to take something of significance from another culture and use it to make a pretty tattoo. Although I appreciate some people might have an actual link to those things and not just be getting it because it looks cool. I think to take inspiration is fine though.

Reactions: 5
I think the word appropriation is used far too much these days. If someone genuinely likes the significance of these things I see no issue with appreciating something beautiful from another culture. But I get what you are saying I love the whole Indian aesthetic when it comes to tattoos and the Ganesh ones look so beautiful but he is a Deity to some and wouldn’t wish to cause a stir by actually getting something like that done.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I think the word appropriation is used far too much these days. If someone genuinely likes the significance of these things I see no issue with appreciating something beautiful from another culture. But I get what you are saying I love the whole Indian aesthetic when it comes to tattoos and the Ganesh ones look so beautiful but he is a Deity to some and wouldn’t wish to cause a stir by actually getting something like that done.
My husband is covered on the upper half of his body (not neck or face though) with loads of tattoos that reflect his historical interests, tied to his culture, and his religion, including lots of portraits of historical figures, statues, and his family.

Was at a party once, and a black friend of mine moaned at him for having tattoos of all white people 🙄. My husband on sight is very obviously white European, with white parents, grandparents, great grandparents and so on. That night I terminated the friendship with this total (racist) fucktard, for seriously expecting my husband to use his body as a canvas for “diversity-driven” art.

So my point is, I agree with you, but there’s still always gonna be someone who moans if someone else doesn’t get tattoos from another culture. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
My ex was full of tattoos. Mainly tribal. But he liked to travel and would get a significant cultural tattoo of where ever he visited. Almost like a souvenir. He was full on English white. He had many friends of different cultures and literally no one batted an eyelid or was “offended” by them. The internet has created this whole culture of people who sit around doing nothing but finding things to be offended about - and it’s usually on behalf of someone else. A middle class white male for example deciding that all Asians will be offended by a white lady wearing a bindi. I’ve visited other countries many times and if anything the locals are very heart warmed by embracing things to do with their culture! So really who should give a toss about what Oliver or Matthew over in Cambridge has to say about it?

Reactions: 23

explain this one to me someone . this news story is captioned re a woman who supposedly cant afford the bus for her kids so they dont go to school... in London they get free buses .Thats why the buses are full of kids (even going only 1 stop) and you can't get on

Reactions: 3
I agree all this modern “appropriation” BS is very American. Not a single person I know cares if I wear certain clothes or hairstyles etc. in fact most love it as they find it flattering.
I even have an American Indian friend who says none of them are insulted when people where head dress etc in magazines or for costume. The only one’s who do act like that do it for money and publicity

Reactions: 7
I am seeing online that the whole Zouma situation is now being made into a race thing 🤦‍♀️

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 11
What kind of examples?
So Eden Hazard kicked a ball boy because the ball boy wouldnt give back the ball, I just watched the clip. Its pretty bad. So that was back in 2014. Adidas didn't drop his sponsorship deal but they dropped Zouma's after the cat incident.
Is it racism? Idk. Only Adidas can explain why they didn't drop Hazard but dropped Zouma. I also think cancel culture wasn't as strong back in 2014 as it is now.
There is a witch hunt with Zouma now and people won't stop until he is off the pitch IMO, people get really angry over animal abuse. I don't think people would be less harsh about this situation if it was a white guy that did it.

Reactions: 13
I think people are more accountable now for their actions (as they should be)

Reactions: 12
So Eden Hazard kicked a ball boy because the ball boy wouldnt give back the ball, I just watched the clip. Its pretty bad. So that was back in 2014. Adidas didn't drop his sponsorship deal but they dropped Zouma's after the cat incident.
Is it racism? Idk. Only Adidas can explain why they didn't drop Hazard but dropped Zouma. I also think cancel culture wasn't as strong back in 2014 as it is now.
There is a witch hunt with Zouma now and people won't stop until he is off the pitch IMO, people get really angry over animal abuse. I don't think people would be less harsh about this situation if it was a white guy that did it.
Yeah I mean I remember that thing with hazard but don't remember what penalties he got. But could argue that what he did, albeit wrong, was done in the heat of the game and was a major overreaction. What zouma did was in the comfort of his own home where he literally abused his own pet for fun. But people can bring anything down to racism I guess.

Reactions: 5
It can be summed up in one sentence

"You don't duck with cats"
(They have an army of crazy cat people behind them)

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Yeah I mean I remember that thing with hazard but don't remember what penalties he got. But could argue that what he did, albeit wrong, was done in the heat of the game and was a major overreaction. What zouma did was in the comfort of his own home where he literally abused his own pet for fun. But people can bring anything down to racism I guess.
The ball boy was being a dick about giving back the ball, he was lying on top of it so hazard couldn't get it. I can't really remember were many people even outraged by that.

Someone also brought up Harry Mcguire bribing a police officer in Greece, asking why Man U didn't sack him. The truth is people didn't care, no one was angry.

I guess with Zoumas situation people are furious. The outrage/attention this is getting probably caused Adidas to pull their deal rather than have people boycott adidas/other brands Zouma worked with.

@Brigitjonesbuttcheek I was literally just about to write something about 'don't duck with cats' 😂
There is definitely a group of people out there who are now dedicated to ruining Zoumas life.

Have you seen that Netflix documentary 😂😂 absolutely wild 😂😂
Probably the same people coming for Zouma 😂

Reactions: 6
It was only a matter of time before racism regarding Zouma was mentioned. I could see it coming!

I don’t condone what Eden did but come on h kicked a grown 17 year old, would have been fit enough to fight back if he wanted to, ball boy. Kicking an animal he is meant to care for round like a piece of tit doesn’t compare. Racism my arse.

Reactions: 16
The only way you’d be able to say the issue was race is if a white footballer did the same thing and wasn’t punished.

White footballer David Goodwillie was signed for Raith Rovers the other week. He was not convicted of rape in a criminal court, I think the verdict was Not Proven. He was however found guilty later in a civil case and ordered to pay his victim £100k (to date not paid) a few years back. In the meantime he’s been playing for Clyde no problems. He signed for Raith Rovers and main sponsor Val McDermid withdrew sponsorship, the women’s team quit and more people spoke out. Goodwillie won’t be playing for Raith as a result.

Rape is obviously different to animal abuse but DW has been “cancelled”.

Reactions: 3
Yeah Zouma made the mistake of it being a cat. The cat lover brigade will be out for blood now...

On the racism thing surely we have not forgotten the white primary school teacher who lost her job and has been taken to court for abusing her horse, which was caught on video?

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.