Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I voted leave because I believe in democracy. What on earth is the point of me voting in my local MP, on policies, values and priorities I want them to represent for me, when they can be over ruled by someone I have never directly voted for, in a completely different country, who has a completely different set of priorities and probably doesn't have the faintest idea where my village is or who is in it! And if I don't like their ideas I can't even boot them out like I can with my current MP!

And what boils my blood the most is that I as a tax payer end up paying twice over for two sets of complete chinless wonder prats who do duck all of value most of the time. At least my local one has to pretend to care!

Why the duck do I want to pay twice, once for my own sovereign government, and again for a completely unelected one who can over rule them on anything they like! What is the bleeping point? Just have one and be done with it, or just have our own. At least that way they can't hide their mistakes behind the EU skirts.

Also the EU trading block made sense as an arrangement of similar sized countries, with similar demographics, values and ideals (the original 5) to bolster their buying power. Making it an open door for such a hugely uneven countries to take part in was a stupid bleeping idea. I'm just glad we got out when we did, the EU as it currently is will not exist in ten years anyway.
My biggest concern over the lack of democracy in the the UK wouldn’t be the EU tbh, it’d be the fact that it doesn’t even have a proportionally representative voting system for general elections.

Reactions: 6
My biggest concern over the lack of democracy in the the UK wouldn’t be the EU tbh, it’d be the fact that it doesn’t even have a proportionally representative voting system for general elections.
And in what way do you think having another layer of bureaucracy on top of a disfuctional one was helping the situation?

Reactions: 3
I voted leave because I believe in democracy. What on earth is the point of me voting in my local MP, on policies, values and priorities I want them to represent for me, when they can be over ruled by someone I have never directly voted for
I wonder how all the times we voted for our MEPs has managed to pass by the people who make this argument 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I wonder how all the times we voted for our MEPs has managed to pass by the people who make this argument 😂
The turnout for european elections was fairly dire - usually around half that of the Westminster elections.

Reactions: 2
There's nothing wrong with Gary! I can't imagine looking at a baby and deciding they were an Ava, Mia, Alfie, Jack, or any other currently popular name

I adore the irony that the most sabre rattling MEP of all was Nigel Farage. He thought it was a joke organisation and he worked for it. I would love to know what people thought they were voting for in MEP elections? Just another juicy vein on the gravy train. As for the shuttling the entire organisation between Strasbourg and Brussels? They couldn't even agree something as basic as where to hold their meeting so us, the public (mugs) paid for them to haul arse every other time somewhere else. The waste and bureaucracy is just sickening.

Also I stand corrected, let's call it THREE separate lots of wages, not two. What was I thinking?!

My UO is that secondary school children should not be allowed on buses and they should have their own. Firstly many of them do not even pay or have a zip card whilst I have to pay to listen to outrageous screaming on my way to and from work. Maybe not even get a seat because the entire yr8 is on the top deck singing loudly and playing music.

Reactions: 9
We definitely need more school buses, it'd reduce problems with kids on public transport AND cut down on some of the ridiculous amounts of money spent on taxis for schoolchildren. People complain it's a waste of money but, yeah, not as much as taxis are

Reactions: 11
I love how the UK is seen as this massively racist country (by mostly their own people). You should take a look at some countries on mainland Europe.
it surprises me why UK and our area is so massively popular with Eastern Europeans... it's rather a diverse area in West London with for want of a better term many people of non white backgrounds.. You only have to look at the football when England play over there and the horrendous racial insults aimed at their players.

Like duck was Johnson’s daughter seriously sick with covid,
Any time he faces serious criticism he ends up in “icu” his latest woman has a baby, and now he’s using a child to cover his ass.
that and the sudden relaxing of restrictions when some people are still going round saying we should all be locked up til Spring...
He can make up what he likes.. we are not dumb enough to forget what he's done that easily..

Reactions: 2
it surprises me why UK and our area is so massively popular with Eastern Europeans... it's rather a diverse area in West London with for want of a better term many people of non white backgrounds.. You only have to look at the football when England play over there and the horrendous racial insults aimed at their players.
The thing is most people come over here and form their own native communities within their own cultures, and they don't want to be part of British culture or society per se. They basically want to live their life as they always have but benefit from the economic opportunities that they cannot get in their own countries. We are perfectly tolerant of people living their life the way they choose within the confines of the laws, that apply to all of us. How does that make us racist and intolerant?

Reactions: 9
This is the state we're in. My first thought was 'he's lying'. I'm questioning the Prime Minister saying his baby is seriously ill. Quite incredible.
he could tell me his name was Boris Johnson and I wouldnt believe him.. mind you isn't that strictly speaking not his actual name?

Reactions: 4
It’s like the name Gary. Who looks at a newborn and thinks “im gonna call you Gary, you look like a Gary”.
My FIL was christened Gary but his brothers all called him Bill because they decided Gary was a 'sissys name'

I had known him for 5yrs before i realised his name wasn't actually Bill 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 8
We definitely need more school buses, it'd reduce problems with kids on public transport AND cut down on some of the ridiculous amounts of money spent on taxis for schoolchildren. People complain it's a waste of money but, yeah, not as much as taxis are
my UO is the kids should be taught how to behave themselves but good points guys

• Haha
Reactions: 5
The roads would be so much quieter if kids all went to school on buses rather than being driven. Less traffic, less wasting time and petrol sitting in it.

Makes sense to me.

Reactions: 10
HSBC have a poster campaign featuring 2 lesbians kissing and a big fat ugly baby. WHY?

What is it meant to achieve ? Are they saying lesbians why don't you come bank here??What has sexuality got to do with banking and finance?

How about they save their money and give me a bit of interest on my savings?

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.