Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In my opinion very few people had enough information or knowledge to make a proper, informed choice about remaining in the EU or deciding to leave.

Reactions: 18
^^^ Many of the people that claim the UK is so tolerant are often white..? Doubt youā€™ve experienced life as a non-white person in every single different part of the UK for you to confirm this but hey.

People complain about ā€œwokenessā€ (seems like itā€™s only the people who dislike it that actually use that term but anyway), these days it feels like I hear more about racism from people that say ā€˜itā€™s gone too farā€™ or ā€œnot all white people are racistā€ and the classic ā€œstop making everything is about raceā€ than from people bringing up racism in general. But maybe Iā€™m consuming different media to everyone else. In reality most people are just getting on with their lives.

Side note: You might not ā€˜enjoyā€™ having so many non-white (or queer as mentioned previously) people on your TV screen, but realistically how is it detrimentally impacting your life. There are so many shows with nearly all-white heterosexual castsā€¦just watch those? Some make it out like there are no more white people at ALL on TV anymore. Not the case.
I couldn't care less what colour the people on TV shows are and I don't want everything to be all white hetrosexual. Soaps have always had a big range of characters and they are better for it.

But, some of the inclusivity in TV is so box ticking it's pathetic and tbh an insult. Organisations that are built on sexism and racism acting like they are so inclusive now because every advert has a mixed race family. All the while behind the scenes its the same old upper class white boys club.

Reactions: 18
But, some of the inclusivity in TV is so box ticking it's pathetic and tbh an insult. Organisations that are built on sexism and racism acting like they are so inclusive now because every advert has a mixed race family. All the while behind the scenes its the same old upper class white boys club.
This is a good point, but box-ticking does actually provide opportunities and work for people where they otherwise would have had little to no chance in succeeding, especially in entertainment.
We say people should get hired because of their talent/merit but it literally used to be the case that people missed out because employers just didnā€™t like the look of someone full stop, even if they were just as or more qualified than their peers, but theyā€™ll say itā€™s something else. There is of course a point where you draw the line, but right now I honestly donā€™t feel like itā€™s gone *too* far (YET), unless again, Iā€™m living on a completely different planet to everyone else and see media that seems fairly representative of the UK? Still mostly white people but more like 65% rather than 98%?

Reactions: 6
This is a good point, but box-ticking does actually provide opportunities and work for people where they otherwise would have had little to no chance in succeeding, especially in entertainment.
We say people should get hired because of their talent/merit but it literally used to be the case that people missed out because employers just didnā€™t like the look of someone full stop, even if they were just as or more qualified than their peers, but theyā€™ll say itā€™s something else. There is of course a point where you draw the line, but right now I honestly donā€™t feel like itā€™s gone *too* far (YET), unless again, Iā€™m living on a completely different planet to everyone else and see media that seems fairly representative of the UK? Still mostly white people but more like 65% rather than 98%?
Whether people like it or not, >80% of the UK is made up of people identifying as of white ethnicity and it is still largely Christian (C of E) denomination. Having travelled and lived in other countries, I know for a fact we are far more liberal and inclusive than most and I'm sick to death of being told because I'm white I have no opinion on race/equality divisions. Of course it doesn't affect me in the way it does other ethnicities, but I'm not deaf, dumb or blind. I understand we still have unacceptable issues in equality but that doesn't mean I have to apologise for being white all the time. My family are English by blood (circa 16c) so this is my heritage and I'm entitled to own that without being told I'm wrong or should be ashamed and I will vote as I God damn please.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Like duck was Johnsonā€™s daughter seriously sick with covid,
Any time he faces serious criticism he ends up in ā€œicuā€ his latest woman has a baby, and now heā€™s using a child to cover his ass.
This is the state we're in. My first thought was 'he's lying'. I'm questioning the Prime Minister saying his baby is seriously ill. Quite incredible.

Reactions: 8
Whether people like it or not, >80% of the UK is made up of people identifying as of white ethnicity and it is still largely Christian (C of E) denomination. Having travelled and lived in other countries, I know for a fact we are far more liberal and inclusive than most and I'm sick to death of being told because I'm white I have no opinion on race/equality divisions. Of course it doesn't affect me in the way it does other ethnicities, but I'm not deaf, dumb or blind. I understand we still have unacceptable issues in equality but that doesn't mean I have to apologise for being white all the time. My family are English by blood (circa 16c) so this is my heritage and I'm entitled to own that without being told I'm wrong or should be ashamed and I will vote as I God damn please.
I did say the UK is more liberal than a number of other countries in Europe (having also visited and lived in others too). But the UK is still no dreamland, nor will anywhere ever will be, for anyone (except the stinking rich lol). Curious, under what circumstances have you had to actively apologise for being white? Or do you mean in general you feel people want you to feel bad for being white?

Reactions: 3
The idea that "without Judeo-Christian morality we would have no morality at all, there are no other belief systems under which it is wrong to kill, steal, etc." is complete nonsense

There is a vast difference between ticking a box on a census, or vaguely assuming "I must be Christian because everyone else is / I believe in something but I'm not Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, etc. so I must be a Christian" vs being an actual believing, practicing Christian and the former isn't enough to justify rules and policy on the basis that "we're a Christian country!" Similarly, Christian history doesn't translate to Christian belief today. How many people would call Spain a Muslim country, or equally Muslim and Christian, based on the fact that it was ruled by Muslims for centuries and that period of history still has a vast impact on the national culture? This is why I support campaigns by some atheist/humanist groups to not list yourself on the census as a certain religion unless you actively believe and know something about this religion. I would love to know how many self-professed Christians in the UK never go to church or open a Bible, how many people list themselves as (for instance) Muslim because their family is but they eat pork, don't pray, don't really believe etc.

It is outright insulting, both to Christians and non-Christians that the government trades on a vague notion of "Christian morality" to manipulate voters. The best example I can think of is that the Conservatives have frequently shot down attempts to abolish Sunday trading laws with the excuse of "this is a Christian country." In reality, they know they'd lose votes for "promoting capitalism at the expense of family life" or some such so they pretend it's all about God instead of personal greed

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I did say the UK is more liberal than a number of other countries in Europe (having also visited and lived in others too). But the UK is still no dreamland, nor will anywhere ever will be, for anyone (except the stinking rich lol). Curious, under what circumstances have you had to actively apologise for being white? Or do you mean in general you feel people want you to feel bad for being white?
If you try to have an opinion on anything it's always 'well you would say that because you're white'! It's ridiculous. I'm also highly educated and don't live in a bubble. I deplore racism/sexism/xenophobia as much as people who face it daily, it's ignorant and baseless. Believe me, if I could eradicate the thick scum who invoke it I would.

Reactions: 5
Tbh I donā€™t buy the idea that everyone who voted brexit was a racist, most of the people I know who voted for it did so because they were genuinely sick of the state of the country after 10 years of austerity, Nigel Farage and his cronies came along telling everyone the UKā€™s problems are all the fault of the EU and they believed it. They voted leave because they wanted to improve things in the UK.
The people I know who voted Leave initially was because they were more pissed off with the government than the EU. Also the Remain campaign was shocking. They didn't highlight anything we would be losing by leaving they just gave us threats of WW3 and punishment budgets. Meanwhile, Nigel Farage was charging around on a bus telling everyone there would be more money for the NHS. It also didn't help that just prior to the referendum David Cameron had been negotiating with EU for some concessions and the EU refused point blank.

It sounds a bit pathetic but I think if the Government had just done some silly thing like change the colour of the passports (which they were entitled to do) and put their foot down a bit more with the EU it may have resulted in a different result.

Reactions: 7
The remainers tend to be quite aggressive and patronising, remember the remainer who literally tried to throw a young Brexiteer over a bridge? People know full well what they voted for. Question is did they??? Or was it a case of virtue signalling?

Reactions: 1
In my opinion very few people had enough information or knowledge to make a proper, informed choice about remaining in the EU or deciding to leave.
Agreed. I think thatā€™s true of all votes - very few people research into it and have all the facts, knowledge of policies etc. And I include myself in that.

Reactions: 3
The people I know who voted Leave initially was because they were more pissed off with the government than the EU. Also the Remain campaign was shocking. They didn't highlight anything we would be losing by leaving they just gave us threats of WW3 and punishment budgets. Meanwhile, Nigel Farage was charging around on a bus telling everyone there would be more money for the NHS. It also didn't help that just prior to the referendum David Cameron had been negotiating with EU for some concessions and the EU refused point blank.

It sounds a bit pathetic but I think if the Government had just done some silly thing like change the colour of the passports (which they were entitled to do) and put their foot down a bit more with the EU it may have resulted in a different result.
They could have quite easily used the vote to re-negotiate membership terms to our advantage, but the EU were very much determined to say duck you. That in itself should tell people that the relationship was one-sided!

Reactions: 6
Itā€™s like the name Gary. Who looks at a newborn and thinks ā€œim gonna call you Gary, you look like a Garyā€.
My grandchildren call me,Gary. The first one couldnā€™t say, Granny, so it stuck. I do get some odd looks from other people, when the little ones shout for ā€œ Gary!ā€

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
I voted leave because I believe in democracy. What on earth is the point of me voting in my local MP, on policies, values and priorities I want them to represent for me, when they can be over ruled by someone I have never directly voted for, in a completely different country, who has a completely different set of priorities and probably doesn't have the faintest idea where my village is or who is in it! And if I don't like their ideas I can't even boot them out like I can with my current MP!

And what boils my blood the most is that I as a tax payer end up paying twice over for two sets of complete chinless wonder prats who do duck all of value most of the time. At least my local one has to pretend to care!

Why the duck do I want to pay twice, once for my own sovereign government, and again for a completely unelected one who can over rule them on anything they like! What is the bleeping point? Just have one and be done with it, or just have our own. At least that way they can't hide their mistakes behind the EU skirts.

Also the EU trading block made sense as an arrangement of similar sized countries, with similar demographics, values and ideals (the original 5) to bolster their buying power. Making it an open door for such a hugely uneven countries to take part in was a stupid bleeping idea. I'm just glad we got out when we did, the EU as it currently is will not exist in ten years anyway.

Reactions: 15
The name Gary was once associated with a really smooth and good-looking film star, Gary Cooper. I now associate it more with some lager-lout, football-yob-type. Sorry to any Garys reading, or anyone close to one. I'm sure they're not all really like that. It's just an irrational image I have.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
My grandchildren call me,Gary. The first one couldnā€™t say, Granny, so it stuck. I do get some odd looks from other people, when the little ones shout for ā€œ Gary!ā€
Gary is far cooler than granny no? šŸ¤£

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.