Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yep. The likes of Buzzfeed making FuNnY quizes around anxiety and tit adds to it. Real depression is no joke. 'High functioning' shite as well. No. People have said im HF when riddled with depression, stress (to the point my hairs falling out), anxiety etc.. its not high functioning, its adrenaline and autopilot, and ya fight or flight going into overdrive.

I love to see MH discussed more but its all platitudes. The attitudes are all still the same. Depression and anxiety (always a package innit) is acceptable when it doesnt impact others/work. Other MH conditions are still deeply misunderstood and ignored (BPD is the latest bandwagon, but personality disorders are majorly misunderstood).
I love this comment.
Real depression, real mental health struggles,
Its messy, it’s dirty and secretive and dark.

‘the white company’ depression (yes I’m picking a work friendly brand) is pretty, and Instagram ready, and yes you might stay in your pj’s for a bit but it’s ok, it’s suitable for the gram content.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I have no doubt our first POC to be PM will be my local MP who is absolutely useless as an MP and has his head up Boris arse. he is highly educated and has had a life so far removed from mine in terms of class could not get much lower than my family but I'm privileged and he is oppressed

Your 2nd point. Drs really need to understand different types of depression. No point in antidepressants for those who have reason to be depressed.

I lost everything over 20 years ago. my children, my home my career my family my friends and had to be moved by the police to a whole new area. I was depressed because I had a very good reason to be depressed, what did they do? well they didn't give me the help I needed they gave me pills that started me on a huge roller coaster

now finally 24 years later I am getting the counselling I needed back then, to help me understand what happened and why it happened. Not NHS counselling that is one size fits all but real counselling around my needs and circumstances
Depression is massively over diagnosed by drs that can't he arsed or don't want to refer on because of budgets. I've heard of people with injuries, back problems and menaporsal problems all being told they are depressed.

I went though some hard times a few years ago. People kept telling me I was depressed and I needed to just take anti depressants. I kept saying I'm not depressed, I'm unhappy with good reason and I need to come to terms with things and go through the proper stages of grief, not take drugs. But they medical people just saw it as a quick fix. I didn't want to be happy because of drugs, I wanted to be happy because I was. Same thing happened to me dad when he went through something traumatic.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Depression is massively over diagnosed by drs that can't he arsed or don't want to refer on because of budgets. I've heard of people with injuries, back problems and menaporsal problems all being told they are depressed.

I went though some hard times a few years ago. People kept telling me I was depressed and I needed to just take anti depressants. I kept saying I'm not depressed, I'm unhappy with good reason and I need to come to terms with things and go through the proper stages of grief, not take drugs. But they medical people just saw it as a quick fix. I didn't want to be happy because of drugs, I wanted to be happy because I was. Same thing happened to me dad when he went through something traumatic.
What happens if there is no solution, sometimes you can accept the crappy situation but it will always be there in the back of your mind.

Reactions: 6
I think white privilege is a ridiculous phrase that belongs in the bleeping bin with the rest of the ideas generated by BLM.

Indian students feature hugely disproportionately in getting the best GCSEs, A Levels, highest level university courses and professional roles in medicine etc.

It must be that famous brown privilege we hear so much about, or perhaps just maybe they come from a culture which respects education and sets high expectations for their children, which sets them up for life with an ethos of hard work and success.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I think white privilege is a ridiculous phrase that belongs in the bleeping bin with the rest of the ideas generated by BLM.

Indian students feature hugely disproportionately in getting the best GCSEs, A Levels, highest level university courses and professional roles in medicine etc.

It must be that famous brown privilege we hear so much about, or perhaps just maybe they come from a culture which respects education and sets high expectations for their children, which sets them up for life with an ethos of hard work and success.
If this is true, then we should accept the fact that there is no glass ceiling for women.

Reactions: 2
When you are depressed, it's hard enough getting thru the day. I can't imagine getting out and about when depressed. Eating healthy is not easy if you are on a low income. It's easy to say eat healthy and get out more. What are you supposed to do once you do get out. Throw yourself in front of a train maybe.

Sometimes it is hard to find the cause of your depression, other times you know what it is, but you are scared to articulate it because you know that there is no solution to it and admitting it just makes you realise the future is bleak.
Not saying that this is not true, but not everyone who has depression doesn't do anything, struggles to take basic care of themselves etc. People can have mild depression that can still have a major impact on their life, despite the fact that they get up every day, shower and go to work. This is the severity of depression where exercise can be helpful rather than going straight to medication.

Mental health issues and depression wouldn't be such a big problem if people were a healthy weight and again even less of a problem if that healthy weight was maintained by daily exercise.
I think you might have a mental health issue if this is your UO :rolleyes:

clinical depression and feeling a bit tit are not the same thing, but everyone thinks/wants to have they have a mental Illness nowadays, it’s like being Bi, kinda cool, kinda edgy, adds to your personality.

twats
duck me, I only struggle with anxiety and would give anything to be back to "normal". The good old days when nothing bothered me. Who in their right mind would find it cool, the mind just boggles

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I love this comment.
Real depression, real mental health struggles,
Its messy, it’s dirty and secretive and dark.

‘the white company’ depression (yes I’m picking a work friendly brand) is pretty, and Instagram ready, and yes you might stay in your pj’s for a bit but it’s ok, it’s suitable for the gram content.
It's then the gram content that means that sometimes people jump on the band wagon with self diagnosis and manage to damage what real depression is

It's also why when you take your teenager to see the doctor that they dismiss crucial important signs and say "all teenagers are like this now/it's a phase/it's a trend

Yep, all things that have actually been said to my child - who then went on to be incredibly mentally ill for almost 2yrs and end up in a secure ward for her own safety

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I think you might have a mental health issue if this is your UO :rolleyes:

duck me, I only struggle with anxiety and would give anything to be back to "normal". The good old days when nothing bothered me. Who in their right mind would find it cool, the mind just boggles
Because it's not really happening to them or they feel a bit down, they have no idea how bad it is for those who really do have depression.

I have times where I feel down for a week or so but I don't say I'm depressed because I know how real depression is.

Also as someone else said you don't have to be someone who cant get out of bed or wash to be credible, many work and hide it very well, as we know from suicides when family and workmates say they never realise and the person seemed very happy.

Actually saying that, I remember when it happened to me. I was out clubbing every night and working every day, I was jolly while helping others while I was sinking lower and lower. .. I was really uncareful about my safety

Then once I was relocated by the police and housing and had my breakdown, I didn't leave my home for over 3 years, didn't wash or change my clothes or bedding for 18mths. but online I was still this happy person trying to be kind and supportive while I was so low. Being online was my hiding place I could be normal but I was actually sinking into alcoholism and just drinking round the clock, time had no meaning and I would either sleep for days or stay awake for days.

Goodness I had forgotten most of that. such a bad place and a complete contrast to me now. i am now the happy person I pretended to be.
ha! I faked it till I made it 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Because it's not really happening to them or they feel a bit down, they have no idea how bad it is for those who really do have depression.

I have times where I feel down for a week or so but I don't say I'm depressed because I know how real depression is.

Also as someone else said you don't have to be someone who cant get out of bed or wash to be credible, many work and hide it very well, as we know from suicides when family and workmates say they never realise and the person seemed very happy.

Actually saying that, I remember when it happened to me. I was out clubbing every night and working every day, I was jolly while helping others while I was sinking lower and lower. .. I was really uncareful about my safety

Then once I was relocated by the police and housing and had my breakdown, I didn't leave my home for over 3 years, didn't wash or change my clothes or bedding for 18mths. but online I was still this happy person trying to be kind and supportive while I was so low. Being online was my hiding place I could be normal but I was actually sinking into alcoholism and just drinking round the clock, time had no meaning and I would either sleep for days or stay awake for days.

Goodness I had forgotten most of that. such a bad place and a complete contrast to me now. i am now the happy person I pretended to be.
ha! I faked it till I made it 🤣
I actually have had a few people very close to me and/or my family commit suicide so I know how well depression can be hidden. Glad you've managed to turn things around.

• Heart
What happens if there is no solution, sometimes you can accept the crappy situation but it will always be there in the back of your mind.
For me at the time there was no solution, you just have to learn to live with it or be forever unhappy. But are drugs the answer?

Reactions: 3
Sometimes
I think it depends on the situation and the person.

To me depression is a chemical imbalance, not being unhappy with your life or situation or being unhappy because something sad has happened to you like the death of a loved one.

I think if you're in the latter group, not dealing with things can then lead to actual depression. In which case drugs maybe needed. But I don't think the first thing the Dr offers when your going through a hard time should be drugs. For me drugs should be a last resort, not the first one when refering to sadness caused by an event. Sadness is a normal part of life and a nonral part of dealing with bad thing.

I think it depends on the situation and the person.

To me depression is a chemical imbalance, not being unhappy with your life or situation or being unhappy because something sad has happened to you like the death of a loved one.

I think if you're in the latter group, not dealing with things can then lead to actual depression. In which case drugs maybe needed. But I don't think the first thing the Dr offers when your going through a hard time should be drugs. For me drugs should be a last resort, not the first one when refering to sadness caused by an event. Sadness is a normal part of life and a nonral part of dealing with bad thing.
Completely agree!

Reactions: 2
For me at the time there was no solution, you just have to learn to live with it or be forever unhappy. But are drugs the answer?
this is what I ask myself daily. I lost my brother 15 years ago, I can’t change that and pills can’t change it either but I struggle with how to ‘move on’ and stop it being constant in my brain.

I honestly think my personality changed from happy go lucky to pessimist overnight and I’m not sure that can change.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I actually have had a few people very close to me and/or my family commit suicide so I know how well depression can be hidden. Glad you've managed to turn things around.
Sorry to derail just while we are all adding UO. I was completely ripped to shreds on an Instagram post for saying 'commit suicide' apparently the PC/WOKE way to say is 'death by suicide' as it takes blame away from vicrim??

My aunts ex husband committed suicide and can honestly say nobody in any side of the family could give a f**k about how it was said.

I mean I actually had people sending me messages to tell me how I was insensitive not to know and people like me are a problem 😂

this is what I ask myself daily. I lost my brother 15 years ago, I can’t change that and pills can’t change it either but I struggle with how to ‘move on’ and stop it being constant in my brain.

I honestly think my personality changed from happy go lucky to pessimist overnight and I’m not sure that can change.
Very hard to retain your whole way of thinking especially after such a hard loss ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Sorry to derail just while we are all adding UO. I was completely ripped to shreds on an Instagram post for saying 'commit suicide' apparently the PC/WOKE way to say is 'death by suicide' as it takes blame away from vicrim??

My aunts ex husband committed suicide and can honestly say nobody in any side of the family could give a f**k about how it was said.

I mean I actually had people sending me messages to tell me how I was insensitive not to know and people like me are a problem 😂

Very hard to retain your whole way of thinking especially after such a hard loss ❤
I was on a mental health course and was told to say "completed suicide" rather than committed. But that just feels really unnatural

• Wow
Reactions: 10
I think some people have jumped on mental health problems as an acceptable way to excuse their behaviour, or to get their own way. They know no decent person would question them.

For example, during the lockdowns, everything was about mental health.
"I need the gym to reopen for my mental health."
"The pubs being shut is bad for my mental health."
"Not getting my nails done is affecting my mental health."
It became like the latest bandwagon to jump on.
While I don't deny there are a lot of people who struggled with their mental health for various reasons, it seemed to become the go-to answer for everything.

People quoting mental health for every tiny thing takes away from those who are genuinely struggling.

Reactions: 23
I was on a mental health course and was told to say "completed suicide" rather than committed. But that just feels really unnatural
Completed that sounds like a challenge they just finished totally insensitive. Honestly think I must offended people on the daily not sure what to say

I think so too. I need to do something ❤

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.