Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also, it's extremely hard to find positive material to consume in this day and age. I find the majority of TV, films and music so depressing I just don't bother. I find solace in older works of fiction that offer true escape from current reality in a way visual media used to but increasingly, now, does not.
This is me! I hate watching depressing things all the time! Someone gets murdered, a woman gets raped, people fall out and fight and it’s always very graphic. When I want escapism I want exactly that! I don’t think modern films do escapism anymore, there’s always a message which is admirable but not what I want all the time.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
There has been many a row over that in NI!

There have been too many wrongly convicted via the death penalty - it's completely wrong if an innocent person literally has to die over a crime they didn't commit.
Very different these days though with the burden of proof being so high. Think about all those unsolved cases and wrong convictions that have benefitted from new techniques. Absolutely it should be the exception, but some cases completely warrant it - Levi Bellfield, Ian Huntley and Roy Whiting would be first in line if I had a say!

Also, it's extremely hard to find positive material to consume in this day and age. I find the majority of TV, films and music so depressing I just don't bother. I find solace in older works of fiction that offer true escape from current reality in a way visual media used to but increasingly, now, does not.
Music is my happy place.

Reactions: 4
I know it's only jokes for the most part but I'm tired of all of the "I hate people" stuff that gets said now. Like they said in Fleabag, "People are all we've got."

Reactions: 6
Joe Rogan interviews one of the girls who left the westboro baptist church. Megan Phelps Roper, she was on the Louis Theroux documentary on this family.
If you do not know the family I am talking about, YOU GOT TO WATCH THIS. Louis Theroux's weird weekend > Americas most hated family.
Whether or not ya like Joe Rogan, this is a great podcast to listen to. This girl was brain washed, she talks about how she began to question the churches practices and how she eventually left the church. None of her family speak to her.

There's also another documentary on Netflix which follows two people who left the Orthodox Jewish church, these people are ostracised. This church controls their followers by banning them from speaking to non members of the church, they aren't allowed to use technology and read unapproved books among many other things.

All three people mentioned above were born into these churches and never knew anything else, incredibly brave people to question the practices and eventually leave knowing they will lose everything they have ever known.
What's the one on netflix called?

I don't know how popular this is in the "real world" but it's certaintly unpopular with judges.

I think criminals are absolute scum and more should be sent to prison. Hearing that a lady who went on a rampage in Aldi smashing up bottles - an action that could have caused life changing injuries to those in the shop at the time (and she, herself, actually got hurt), spouted racist abuse at a security guard and was in general a total terror has been given a suspended sentence because she said she "lost the plot" in lockdown has boiled my piss so much today.

The stigma surrounding mental illness is still so huge and it's largely in part due to people like this woman who use it as a get out of jail free card and the absolute idiot scumbag judges who fall for the line. Most people with mental health problems would never behave this way. It makes me so angry to see what people can avoid being jailed for as long as they have some sort of excuse ready to go and a victim hating judge willing to believe it.
There are many forms of mental illness. Some are very passive, some very aggressive. most are in between. People do crack though and might do something out of character or it might be something they have done before. Mental illness isn't a one size fits all. The judge would not have just have accepted her word but there would be assessments etc and he would base his judgment on that.

Where we should get angry is that people don't get the help and care they need.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I know it's only jokes for the most part but I'm tired of all of the "I hate people" stuff that gets said now. Like they said in Fleabag, "People are all we've got."
Nah, I definitely subscribe more to the IT crowd view. "people, what a bunch of bastards"

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Very different these days though with the burden of proof being so high. Think about all those unsolved cases and wrong convictions that have benefitted from new techniques. Absolutely it should be the exception, but some cases completely warrant it - Levi Bellfield, Ian Huntley and Roy Whiting would be first in line if I had a say!

Music is my happy place.
I live for music, but older stuff. I got into a lot of the artists I like through my mother, like Pink Floyd and Bonnie Tyler. Then there is the so cheesy yet so fun pop of the 80s/90s I grew up with that I will never get too old for. I miss music being fun like that. I just can't seem to find that sense of carefree joy in modern tunes.

There are many forms of mental illness. Some are very passive, some very aggressive. most are in between. People do crack though and might do something out of character or it might be something they have done before. Mental illness isn't a one size fits all. The judge would not have just have accepted her word but there would be assessments etc and he would base his judgment on that.

Where we should get angry is that people don't get the help and care they need.
Absolutely!

Except my problem is the only kind covered in the media is the kind that makes mentally ill people all seem like dangerous criminals. It just isn't right.

Reactions: 4
Says the man who supposedly gave his ex herpes, chlamydia and gonorrhoea and then she killed herself...
I'm not giving him a character reference, I just think he succinctly puts into words the issue with how commonplace depression is when people don't take the initial steps to better their life.

Reactions: 2
I'm not giving him a character reference, I just think he succinctly puts into words the issue with how commonplace depression is when people don't take the initial steps to better their life.
I know you weren't. I just think his words are very hypocritical given the way he's behaved.

Reactions: 3
This is me! I hate watching depressing things all the time! Someone gets murdered, a woman gets raped, people fall out and fight and it’s always very graphic. When I want escapism I want exactly that! I don’t think modern films do escapism anymore, there’s always a message which is admirable but not what I want all the time.
To add to this, sometimes I just want to see photoshopped, filtered to duck, size zero Victoria’s secrets models when I want to buy clothes, not rEaL BoDiEs 😅🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Who do you hang out with? I’ve never heard the word gammon being used
If you have never heard the term 'gammon' being used in the past couple of years then I suggest you need to pay more attention to the news and current events.

I always feel dramas like 'Anne' are made purely for shock and a BAFTA nomination. There's been a few recently that I haven't bothered with because they're just going to be dark, depressing and 'real'. Why the hell are they making a drama about Jimmy Saville other than to be controversial?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
If you have never heard the term 'gammon' being used in the past couple of years then I suggest you need to pay more attention to the news and current events.

I always feel dramas like 'Anne' are made purely for shock and a BAFTA nomination. There's been a few recently that I haven't bothered with because they're just going to be dark, depressing and 'real'. Why the hell are they making a drama about Jimmy Saville other than to be controversial?
I watched the Stephen tv series with Steve Coogan in and I thought that was really well done - I think if it was done from the view point of Stephen Lawrence’s killers I would find it too much. So with the Saville show, if it was about how the police caught him, BBC was exposed for covering him up, etc and Saville himself was like a background character I would find that waaaay more interesting than a show about Saville himself.
I was put off by the Anne series because whenever I went on ITV hub there was a massive HD photo of Maxine Peake and she looked terrible and it just really annoyed me haha.

Reactions: 1
The police did not catch Jimmy Saville. So it can’t be from that point of view! He was finally outed by the bravery of One victim which gave others the courage to speak out. This was years after his death. I am appalled that the very institution that let him get away with the things he did or at the very least turned a blind eye will now be touting round a ‘drama’ based in any way on his crimes!!

Reactions: 7
The police did not catch Jimmy Saville. So it can’t be from that point of view! He was finally outed by the bravery of One victim which gave others the courage to speak out. This was years after his death. I am appalled that the very institution that let him get away with the things he did or at the very least turned a blind eye will now be touting round a ‘drama’ based in any way on his crimes!!
Of course! Sorry, that was lazy on my part to say. Of course the police didn’t catch him.
I rather hear the victim’s stories than that of Saville.

Reactions: 2
Why do people take photos/boomerangs/videos etc of their kids doing homework? Put your bloody phone down and help them with it instead of posting it on social media!!

Reactions: 10
You again 🙄 the angry person that thinks everyone needs meds and didn't like I disagreed with them.

If lightening ever strikes me I will put it down to nature not God.

Fingers crossed tomorrow its you not me hunni 😘
Hahahaha, I take it you hold grudges. This comment was tongue in cheek but if I did get struck by lightning I know who’ll I be haunting first 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.