Ukraine Russia War #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
President Zelensky is incredibly handsome, I didn’t want to say and appear shallow, but yes handsome, brave and a true leader.
I can't believe he used to be an actor who played the president of Ukraine in a popular TV show there up until a few years ago, and now he is actually the president of Ukraine, and has shown greater leadership than some people who have been in politics for a lot longer than he has 👏

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
As a Finn, I can tell you this is nothing new. Russia stated years ago already, that Finland joining NATO would be seen as a direct threat to Russia. Knowing Finnish history and its ties to Russia makes my blood run cold in the context of the current conflicts🥺
It must be so worrying. It’s frightening how an action can ripple out and affect other people/countries.

Reactions: 10

This guy walked to the Polish border and reports the same stuff at the borders
It’s crazy!!! He’s a child, I don’t even think he’s 16 yet and if he is he’s barely a day over it, she’s obviously not going to let him anywhere near the place ever again, she said it was an awful place to live, but to think they tracked him down and know he’s in the U.K.
She’s very worried about her parents now.

I don't know about this business of making civilians fight. A choice yes, a feeling of patriotism but forcing no.
never would have believed it myself before now.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
That’s sadly what would happen in every country if they were in the situation Ukraine is in.
Yes.... what else can you do? You would have to fight the invasive aggressor- on your front driveway. Probably to the death, if they want to execute you and your family. I know I would. Thankfully you and I will never need to.
People sometimes don't realise how lucky they are living here in the UK , with our protection and lifestyle levels.

• Sad
Reactions: 22
I don't know about this business of making civilians fight. A choice yes, a feeling of patriotism but forcing no.
The sad part is that many conscripts seem to be used as cannon fodder. There's been some reports of Russian conscripts not being willing to fight/surrendering quickly - though I doubt they'd admit that they were there to fight if they were defeated anyway - and having low morale. Apparently Russia has a tactic of sending in young conscripts before sending in the 'big guns'

I imagine it's a lot different when you're defending your country though, even if unwillingly. It does seem that Ukrainians who have remained have high morale to fight though:

• Sad
Reactions: 13
Why aren’t we doing more? Why have EU countries blocked Russia from being removed from SWIFT? Why was the Pakistan leader there yesterday discussing energy contracts with Putin? U.K. should cut all foreign aid to Pakistan because of this. Russia have blown up a Turkish ship which is part of NATO yet NATO won’t respond. Biden has been in Ukraine PM’s ear for months about joining NATO, telling him the world will back them in Russia invade but no one is helping them. Normal people like you and I are being told to fight or flee. My heart hurts

• Sad
Reactions: 24
The sad part is that many conscripts seem to be used as cannon fodder. There's been some reports of Russian conscripts not being willing to fight/surrendering quickly - though I doubt they'd admit that they were there to fight if they were defeated anyway - and having low morale. Apparently Russia has a tactic of sending in young conscripts before sending in the 'big guns'

I imagine it's a lot different when you're defending your country though, even if unwillingly. It does seem that Ukrainians who have remained have high morale to fight though:

It's shocking to see , in 2022 but , in a way its an indication that they won't go down without fighting for their right to democracy and freedoms. What a bloody mess. I really feel for them.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
It must be so worrying. It’s frightening how an action can ripple out and affect other people/countries.
Very much so. Putin's comment about Bolshevik's giving Russian land away and referencing the year 1917 is very pertinent to Finland. We gained independence from Russia in 1917 as a consequence of the Russian revolution.

Someone said earlier here, that the current cancel culture is a dangerous precedent as people will erase, rather than learn from, history and I couldn't agree more. I see this from many sides, as I live in the UK.

Reactions: 23
It's shocking to see , in 2022 but , in a way its an indication that they won't go down without fighting for their right to democracy and freedoms. What a bloody mess. I really feel for them.
Me too, it's a very stark reminder of how fragile freedom is and to be able to wake up daily without having to fight for your freedom is very sobering

Reactions: 17
The Molotov petrol bombs might look like they won't do much but if they are thrown close enough to a tank it can blind the sensors and stop the tank from moving briefly. Which would give the Ukraine's time to do something to it maybe. From what I understand anyways

Reactions: 11
Very much so. Putin's comment about Bolshevik's giving Russian land away and referencing the year 1917 is very pertinent to Finland. We gained independence from Russia in 1917 as a consequence of the Russian revolution.

Someone said earlier here, that the current cancel culture is a dangerous precedent as people will erase, rather than learn from, history and I couldn't agree more. I see this from many sides, as I live in the UK.
I agree fully. Cancel culture is insidious - you have to learn from history and see it in all its entirety (even the parts that make people uncomfortable). Erasing history is dangerous - I wish more of these cancel culture advocates realise how important it is to be honest about our respective countries' stories. If you know where you are from, you know where you are headed

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I hope I’ve got this right, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. My understanding is that China want to seize Taiwan, Japan is likely to defend Taiwan with Australia as their ally so China are cosying up to Russia in the event they need their help.
Hmmm I would like to agree on the Aus front but we heavily rely on China to buy our iron ore and nearly everything we buy is made in China or contains parts from there.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
They have been thrown out of the Eurovison song contest - oh dear what a shame never mind

• Haha
Reactions: 34
This war is a guise, really it’s because of Bitcoin, Russia has been buying gold for years. They saw this coming, the collapse of the Russian market and currency. The sanctions imposed are not going to affect them in anyway- short term yes, long term no.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Why aren’t we doing more? Why have EU countries blocked Russia from being removed from SWIFT? Why was the Pakistan leader there yesterday discussing energy contracts with Putin? U.K. should cut all foreign aid to Pakistan because of this. Russia have blown up a Turkish ship which is part of NATO yet NATO won’t respond. Biden has been in Ukraine PM’s ear for months about joining NATO, telling him the world will back them in Russia invade but no one is helping them. Normal people like you and I are being told to fight or flee. My heart hurts
So many countries have left themselves wide open in terms of their reliance on Russia, their oil, their gas, their crops etc hence why they’re tiptoeing around with swift and other sanctions. I’m ignorant to all the ins and outs but from that I’ve read sanctions on swift will affect Russia’s ability to fund their military and so it’s the one action that might actually hurt them but there’s so much hesitation and fear around gas and oil supplies that I don’t think it will happen and Putin knows it.

Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.