Ukraine Russia War #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Britain only get c5% of fuel from Russia but most of our grain is imported from them. I’m happy to duck bread off my diet….only makes me a fat witch anyway
The UK are supporting the SWIFT sanctions because they can afford to. Italy and Germany rely on Russia and so Putin has them exactly where he wants them.

Reactions: 14
It's a very astute observation - I feel like there's been a mix of arrogance, apathy, distracted behaviours/complacency in many countries and failing trust in our institutions for quite some time now (including state educations). Survivors from that era of time have all nearly died and not enough of their stories were recorded/made widely available, but instead we've had so many stupid films made that romanticise and glorify what happened (no wonder so many people don't realise the full extent of fascism in Europe; for many their first point of reference is a film). The communities still affected by the events of WW2 get silenced - I can't help but remember how many of my Jewish friends in school were spoken over by others and told that the 'Holocaust wasn't that bad' and that they 'should get over it' - which still makes me feel sick. Nowadays - in general - sadly most people don't read books or engage with their countries' histories; no wonder we haven't collectively learned from the lessons of our past. It's distressing :(
Yeah Britain has always been seemingly obsessed with the war but it's almost like it was the wrong aspects of it. Making it seem like we went in there, smashed the Nazis all in time for the kettle to be boiled and Churchill to light up another cigar. A lot of superficial stuff that makes Britain look great and overlooks the rest. As it has been mentioned before in the thread, comparing the Pandemic to the time of the Blitz really showed how much people have lost touch.

Reactions: 25
Why aren’t we doing more? Why have EU countries blocked Russia from being removed from SWIFT? Why was the Pakistan leader there yesterday discussing energy contracts with Putin? U.K. should cut all foreign aid to Pakistan because of this. Russia have blown up a Turkish ship which is part of NATO yet NATO won’t respond. Biden has been in Ukraine PM’s ear for months about joining NATO, telling him the world will back them in Russia invade but no one is helping them. Normal people like you and I are being told to fight or flee. My heart hurts
You do realise that as a small island, the UK could be entirely wiped out if nuked? That’s why.

Reactions: 24
Tyrants nearly always get hoisted by their own pertard. They need acolytes and henchmen to get away with it. As soon as those types are threatened or have their own status threatened they quickly turn and the house of cards comes down. It just takes time. Even Stalin was left to die soaked in his own piss.

Reactions: 17
BIB: Germany themselves have learned a lot. Nobody seems more embarrassed and humbled by the acts of the Nazis than the Germans themselves. Germans very much know and recognise the history and have made massive efforts to learn from it.

As for Putin changing laws for his own benefit, or Russians re-electing him for the umpteenth time, isn't something that foreign powers could really change, it's still an internal matter of a sovereign nation, just as Ukraine's sovereignty should be respected. Those same oligarchs who have emboldened Putin, can probably also bring him down, if and when it's beneficial to them.
But Germany are the most vocal with not allowing Russia to be blocked from SWIFT. I’m not having a pop at Germany BTW, very fine country but I mean collectively the world has been standing by watching and hoping he wouldn’t take it this far.

All I can think of is all the petrified parents and children currently in Ukraine and I feel utterly useless 😞😞

• Sad
Reactions: 12
I’m pretty sure the world leaders don’t fully have the answer so I doubt these threads will
They’re trying to avoid getting physically involved because it would be catastrophic to us all - the beginnings of WW3 and a potential nuclear war. Putin has already stated it with his “you will face immediate consequences greater than any you’ve ever seen in your history” speech. It’s been mentioned all over.

Reactions: 21
But Germany are the most vocal with not allowing Russia to be blocked from SWIFT. I’m not having a pop at Germany BTW, very fine country but I mean collectively the world has been standing by watching and hoping he wouldn’t take it this far.

All I can think of is all the petrified parents and children currently in Ukraine and I feel utterly useless 😞😞
I hate to be that person, but I am that person…. Now you can get an ounce of the reality children and women of Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan face🤷🏻‍♀️

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
It's a very astute observation - I feel like there's been a mix of arrogance, apathy, distracted behaviours/complacency in many countries and failing trust in our institutions for quite some time now (including state educations). Survivors from that era of time have all nearly died and not enough of their stories were recorded/made widely available, but instead we've had so many stupid films made that romanticise and glorify what happened (no wonder so many people don't realise the full extent of fascism in Europe; for many their first point of reference is a film). The communities still affected by the events of WW2 get silenced - I can't help but remember how many of my Jewish friends in school were spoken over by others and told that the 'Holocaust wasn't that bad' and that they 'should get over it' - which still makes me feel sick. Nowadays - in general - sadly most people don't read books or engage with their countries' histories; no wonder we haven't collectively learned from the lessons of our past. It's distressing :(
I studied history at uni quite a a while ago, and I think the most important module of any was the 'approaches to history' one in our 2nd year. At the time I wasn't that bothered about why Eric Hobsbawn used the word 'but' in a sentence, but looking back it was the most valuable thing I've ever learnt. We were taught to thoroughly understand who was writing what and why. What sources they were using, their own biases, and what this told us about what they were saying. Different approaches such as marxism, post modernism, the alien ant theory of human behaviour. It should be compulsory, especially when there are so many conflicting and dangerous voices out there.

We also watched historical fims, and critiqued them like the little wankers we were. The inaccuracies in Ben Hur, war films, and why certain stories were told (Like your comment about the British view of WWII, and why the French feel very differently about Dunkirk, for example). The film that reduced everyone to silence, and the one film I'm glad I've seen but will never watch again? Come and See, about WWII and Belarus.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Just seen on the bbc, the Russian tennis star playing in Dubai wrote “No war please” across the camera lense

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Trade with all of Asia won’t stop darling, same for the MENA region.
Asia won’t buy Russian exports at the same rate as they produce the same things. Also Asia can’t replace all the imports Russia relied on from western countries. Asia also won’t replace the income from the energy market Russia is losing right now.

Reactions: 8
Yeah Britain has always been seemingly obsessed with the war but it's almost like it was the wrong aspects of it. Making it seem like we went in there, smashed the Nazis all in time for the kettle to be boiled and Churchill to light up another cigar. A lot of superficial stuff that makes Britain look great and overlooks the rest. As it has been mentioned before in the thread, comparing the Pandemic to the time of the Blitz really showed how much people have lost touch.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/30/athens-1944-britains-dirty-secret Don't talk about this so much, do we.

Or the fact that there was a SS concentration camp on Alderney. https://www.nationalgeographic.co.u...azi-camp-british-soil-revealed-archaeologists

Reactions: 6
Yes. It's told to us as a story or some sort of fairytale and very much from a distant "we stand on the shoulders of giants" perspective. It's really shocked me how disassociated we have become from the horrors of WW1 and WW2, despite both wars still affecting and shaping European psyche (in general).
I wish more people read Wilfrid Owen, saw the graves in Europe, the camps etc. because it wasn't a story. I remember when I visited the camps (Auschwitz, Belsen, Treblinka and even when I spoke to women from the Mothers of Srebenica) - it was years ago but I have never ever forgotten it. I'm really sorry, I've got tears in my eyes writing this reply, the out of touch-ness is so unsettling and unnerving.
@Pinotsgoats I wish I'd studied History - I loved it at school - and I'm so glad you did. I wish the critical thinking your degree taught you was delivered in schools. I've not seen that film before, maybe when I feel a bit more stoic I shall try and watch it

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Asia won’t buy Russian exports at the same rate as they produce the same things. Also Asia can’t replace all the imports Russia relied on from western countries. Asia also won’t replace the income from the energy market Russia is losing right now.
Agree. If worse comes to worse, Russia is still one of the most self sufficient nations on the planet.

So I’ve seen some influencers sharing lots of resources while others absolutely nothing or barely anything and 0 useful information.
Those who shared things took the time to research actual information and shared how ukrainians can enter neighbouring countries, contact info for hotels and organisations that help ukrainian refugees in neighbouring countries, links and into for organisations that help in Ukraine and how to donate to them. They translated posts in English to their native language so even their followers that don’t speak English will understand… so it is doable without turning it into virtue signalling and slacktivism. And I’m talking about some hardcore influencers who post perfect selfies and the perfect life usually. So I have an even bigger chip on my shoulder about those who CHOOSE to stay quiet. This is where cancel culture should come into play big time.

Reactions: 11
I’m pretty sure the world leaders don’t fully have the answer so I doubt these threads will
Your first questions were “Why aren’t we doing more? Why have EU countries blocked Russia from being removed from SWIFT?“
We have discussed this and posted information previously so I was suggesting if you read back it may answer or give some insight for your first two questions -

Agree. If worse comes to worse, Russia is still one of the most self sufficient nations on the planet.
Nope. They rely heavily on exporting and importing. Also their citizens will start a revolution cause this will end in people literally starving. Russia is a VERY poor country. They just have a very good propaganda machine. Look at how the average people live, not how upper middle class an oligarchs live.

• Wow
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.