Ukraine Russia War #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do they think Putin gonna be like oh duck no more Eurovision for us I'll stop now that's too far. Nobody will be singing if he keeps blowing stuff up

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Why aren’t we doing more? Why have EU countries blocked Russia from being removed from SWIFT? Why was the Pakistan leader there yesterday discussing energy contracts with Putin? U.K. should cut all foreign aid to Pakistan because of this. Russia have blown up a Turkish ship which is part of NATO yet NATO won’t respond. Biden has been in Ukraine PM’s ear for months about joining NATO, telling him the world will back them in Russia invade but no one is helping them. Normal people like you and I are being told to fight or flee. My heart hurts
saw this answer somewhere else which kind of explains it I suppose,

There is very little the UN can do in the face of Russia to effectively combat the goings on in the Ukraine.

The UN I believe sends money to the Ukraine, refused to recognise the annexation by Russia and supports openly the resistance against Russian insurgency attempts and even slapped some sanctions on but other than this what more can really be expected of the UN?

Also it is the fact that Russia just does not care, Russia is a Country that is only concerned with its own interests and ambitions. It does not give a single thought to UN sanctions, US warnings or NATO condemnations. As far as Russia is concerned it is all talk and no action. Putin knows that an intervention into his affairs would be disastrous for the World and the US nor NATO would not unless absolutely necessary risk a nuclear war over a former soviet state.

Reactions: 11
Why aren’t we doing more? Why have EU countries blocked Russia from being removed from SWIFT? Why was the Pakistan leader there yesterday discussing energy contracts with Putin? U.K. should cut all foreign aid to Pakistan because of this. Russia have blown up a Turkish ship which is part of NATO yet NATO won’t respond. Biden has been in Ukraine PM’s ear for months about joining NATO, telling him the world will back them in Russia invade but no one is helping them. Normal people like you and I are being told to fight or flee. My heart hurts
You may find some of the answers to your questions if you read back through this thread

Reactions: 3
This war is a guise, really it’s because of Bitcoin, Russia has been buying gold for years. They saw this coming, the collapse of the Russian market and currency. The sanctions imposed are not going to affect them in anyway- short term yes, long term no.
And what are they going to do with their gold if they have no one to trade with?

Reactions: 10
Do they think Putin gonna be like oh duck no more Eurovision for us I'll stop now that's too far. Nobody will be singing if he keeps blowing stuff up
It’s more the cumulative realisation that people are not going to tolerate him. He loves power, if he thinks he is hated he will either probably get angrier or deescalate (hopefully!)

Reactions: 7
saw this answer somewhere else which kind of explains it I suppose,

There is very little the UN can do in the face of Russia to effectively combat the goings on in the Ukraine.

The UN I believe sends money to the Ukraine, refused to recognise the annexation by Russia and supports openly the resistance against Russian insurgency attempts and even slapped some sanctions on but other than this what more can really be expected of the UN?

Also it is the fact that Russia just does not care, Russia is a Country that is only concerned with its own interests and ambitions. It does not give a single thought to UN sanctions, US warnings or NATO condemnations. As far as Russia is concerned it is all talk and no action. Putin knows that an intervention into his affairs would be disastrous for the World and the US nor NATO would not unless absolutely necessary risk a nuclear war over a former soviet state.
Add to this that both Russia and China are permanent members of the UN security council. So essentially they have veto rights.

I agree fully. Cancel culture is insidious - you have to learn from history and see it in all its entirety (even the parts that make people uncomfortable). Erasing history is dangerous - I wish more of these cancel culture advocates realise how important it is to be honest about our respective countries' stories. If you know where you are from, you know where you are headed
Agree entirely but what has been learned from Hitler and Nazi Germany? Absolutely nothing it seems. How much have we all collectively learned in school about WW2? It’s clearly made no difference at all.

Russia have been planning a full on invasion since they backed rebels to invade Donetsk in 2014 but the world sat back and let it happen. Then when Putin fraudulently ‘won’ 2018 election again everyone sat back and did nothing. At that point he changed the law (illegally) to make sure he could stay in power until at least 2036. This dictatorship had been allowed to carry on for years. Because all the Russian Oligarchs have donated to all the powerful people in the world to keep them quiet. Putin won’t stop until he has invaded all the old USSR countries.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
It’s more the cumulative realisation that people are not going to tolerate him. He loves power, if he thinks he is hated he will either probably get angrier or deescalate (hopefully!)
That and losing face… that’s whet these countries hate the most…. Look at all their fake covid reporting, china not even reporting the outbrake to begin with and so on. It’s all optics and looking like the big guy.

Reactions: 13
Gawd, what a load of old political fanny that rubbish is 😅😅😅😅😅😅 .... I can't believe its still going!
Might mean we stand a chance to be one from the bottom 🤣🤣🤣 instead of actually at the bottom #nil points

• Haha
He said he had no intention to attack Ukraine and he has gone and done it, Hitler said that no way would he march into Poland and off he went and then took most of Europe over too. I think Putin has the same megalomaniac delusions as Hitler and is also a liar just like him. Hitler wanted to cleanse Europe of Jews, Putin claims there are Nazis in Ukraine which he wants to bring to justice, no doubt they will also be cleansed.
Thanks for your reply

Reactions: 5
What a difference between Zelensky and the President of Afghanistan who couldn't get out quick enough. I think Putin under estimated the bravery of the Ukrainian people. Zelensky should be given our utmost admiration and I hope to God he and his family stay safe.

I pray someone puts a dose of novichock in Putin's tea. He needs taking out as politicians are terrified of him starting WW3 which would be the end of all of us.

Reactions: 32
So many countries have left themselves wide open in terms of their reliance on Russia, their oil, their gas, their crops etc hence why they’re tiptoeing around with swift and other sanctions. I’m ignorant to all the ins and outs but from that I’ve read sanctions on swift will affect Russia’s ability to fund their military and so it’s the one action that might actually hurt them but there’s so much hesitation and fear around gas and oil supplies that I don’t think it will happen and Putin knows it.
Britain only get c5% of fuel from Russia but most of our grain is imported from them. I’m happy to duck bread off my diet….only makes me a fat witch anyway

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
Just reading about Vitali Klitschko, the mayor of Kiev - he’s a hall of fame heavyweight boxing champion, so’s his brother. Their dad was a Chernobyl first responder. True leadership

• Heart
Reactions: 33
If Russia being kicked out of Eurovision is the 3rd sanction then I hate to think of any later developments. Banning Smirnoff?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
Agree entirely but what has been learned from Hitler and Nazi Germany? Absolutely nothing it seems. How much have we all collectively learned in school about WW2? It’s clearly made no difference at all.

Russia have been planning a full on invasion since they backed rebels to invade Donetsk in 2014 but the world sat back and let it happen. Then when Putin fraudulently ‘won’ 2018 election again everyone sat back and did nothing. At that point he changed the law (illegally) to make sure he could stay in power until at least 2036. This dictatorship had been allowed to carry on for years. Because all the Russian Oligarchs have donated to all the powerful people in the world to keep them quiet. Putin won’t stop until he has invaded all the old USSR countries.
It's a very astute observation - I feel like there's been a mix of arrogance, apathy, distracted behaviours/complacency in many countries and failing trust in our institutions for quite some time now (including state educations). Survivors from that era of time have all nearly died and not enough of their stories were recorded/made widely available, but instead we've had so many stupid films made that romanticise and glorify what happened (no wonder so many people don't realise the full extent of fascism in Europe; for many their first point of reference is a film). The communities still affected by the events of WW2 get silenced - I can't help but remember how many of my Jewish friends in school were spoken over by others and told that the 'Holocaust wasn't that bad' and that they 'should get over it' - which still makes me feel sick. Nowadays - in general - sadly most people don't read books or engage with their countries' histories; no wonder we haven't collectively learned from the lessons of our past. It's distressing :(

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21

BIB: Germany themselves have learned a lot. Nobody seems more embarrassed and humbled by the acts of the Nazis than the Germans themselves. Germans very much know and recognise the history and have made massive efforts to learn from it.

As for Putin changing laws for his own benefit, or Russians re-electing him for the umpteenth time, isn't something that foreign powers could really change, it's still an internal matter of a sovereign nation, just as Ukraine's sovereignty should be respected. Those same oligarchs who have emboldened Putin, can probably also bring him down, if and when it's beneficial to them.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.