Ukraine Russia War #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Thought I’d make a follow on thread as we had reached the threshold of pages on the other one.

Since 2014 there has been an ongoing armed conflict that mainly focused on the east of Ukraine and separatist forces. On February 24 2022, Russia launched a full scale invasion of Ukraine which has led to both civilian and military casualties on the Ukrainian side and reports of military casualties on the Russian.

Latest news 25/02/2022:
  • Global markets tanked with Russia's ruble sliding to its lowest value ever
  • The price of oil shot up to over $100 per barrel
  • EU will freeze Russian assets, halt access to financial market and target 'Kremlin interests'
  • G7 called Putin a 'threat to global order' vowing 'severe and coordinated economic and financial sanctions'
  • Joe Biden announced new sanctions targeting Russian banks, exports and military
  • Russia's largest bank Sberbank will be severed from the US financial system, and full sanctions are imposed on four other financial institutions
  • Boris Johnson called the invasion a 'catastrophe for our continent' and branded Putin a 'dictator'
  • China repeated calls for talks but refusing to criticise Russia's attack. Leaks yesterday for the Chinese government showed China was veering to the side of Russia and didn’t want any negative press about Russia in their news
  • Moldova declared a state of emergency
  • Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said invasion is 'heavy blow' to regional peace
  • NATO ambassadors scheduled an emergency meeting on Thursday
  • UN Security Council will discuss a resolution condemning the invasion
  • Ukraine demanded the world banish Russia from SWIFT banking system. Allegedly the EU has blocked calls from the US and the U.K. to do this
  • Ukraine’s President, Volodymyr Zelensky, is angry at the country being left to defend itself alone: 'They're killing people and turning peaceful cities into military targets. It's foul and will never be forgiven…We have been left alone to defend our state. Who is ready to fight alongside us? I don't see anyone…Who is ready to give Ukraine a guarantee of NATO membership? Everyone is afraid.'
  • There are fears that the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, will fall with some newspaper outlets reporting as soon as the weekend.
  • Ukrainian interior ministry adviser reports missile strikes on Kyiv, with local media and eyewitnesses reporting air defenses engaged over city

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
I’ve Just realised, to add insult to injury I went to tesco earlier because I needed a stiff drink. What did I buy? Vodka. bleeping vodka. So not only am I mental mess, I’m actually stupid too. Furious with myself.

• Haha
Reactions: 49
Taiwan has placed sanctions against Russia they are the largest semiconductor chip makers in the world which Russia needs for its weapons. A brave bold move considering the possible threat from China .

• Heart
Reactions: 96
Other news to add (ran out of time to edit my original post)
  • President Zelensky has been given intel that he is Russia’s number 1 target and his family is their number 2 but is adamant at remaining in the country.
  • 13 border guards were shot down after refusing the surrender after being confronted by a Russian warship on Snake Island in the Black Sea. The border guards told the Russians to ‘go duck yourselves’. Zelensky said they will posthumously be awarded the Hero of Ukraine medal, according to Pravda news. Here is a video, I believe, with subtitles of the confrontation:

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
Sorry last one, and why is a Spanish Royal plane heading for Moscow…
I’m only on this because I have a relative flying over from Oz and according to their planned flight path they’re going to be flying over the Ukraine, surely not?
I’m heartbroken for her too, before this started she got on a plane leaving her two girls in their early 20’s to spend some time here after a nasty divorce and she’ll be landing to all this in about 4 hours 😢

Attachments

Reactions: 10
What does that mean? Sorry to be thick
Sorry, should have been clearer. It’s referencing the point in my first post ‘Ukraine demanded the world banish Russia from SWIFT banking system. Allegedly the EU has blocked calls from the US and the U.K. to do this’. The countries that are stopping this are (allegedly) Germany and Italy.

Reactions: 14
I'm more curious about this one... Surely Nice is the other way? 😂
Lol I thought that when I clicked on it!

Sorry, should have been clearer. It’s referencing the point in my first post ‘Ukraine demanded the world banish Russia from SWIFT banking system. Allegedly the EU has blocked calls from the US and the U.K. to do this’. The countries that are stopping this are (allegedly) Germany and Italy.
Ah ok thank you, no it’s just me being simple x

• Heart
Reactions: 6
All these influences pissing me off. Not one bloody person posted anything about it. Actually Kelly Stamps shared something, and she is all the way in the US. Everyone in the UK just going about their day, posting about food, ads, makeup, gifted etc. It feels wrong. My whole day felt so pointless and I couldn't even concentrate on one thing except obsessively reading the news and making sure my friends and family are okay. It infuriates me that they have a platform that can be used to speak up, but all of them are so self involved that they can't see anything but the top of their noses. They get paid outrageous amounts of money FOR WHAT? I'm sorry but I'm just so annoyed! Everyone is so superficial and I feel sick. If it doesn't directly affect their life e.g. Covid restrictions or jabs - they just don't want to know about it. I apologise if it's off topic I had to let this out.

• Heart
Reactions: 64
Australia will be imposing more sanctions. They're also sending "non-lethal" military and medical aid.
Explosions over Kyiv. They've brought down a Russian aircraft (plane or drone? Still unconfirmed exactly what) which caught fire, damaging buildings, but crews are on the scene to put it out.

Hanna Malyar, Deputy Minister of Defense, as of 3am: Ukraine's estimates of downed Russians - 7 aircraft units, 6 helicopters and more than 30 tanks with a Russian death toll of about 800.

• Sad
Reactions: 20
All these influences pissing me off. Not one bloody person posted anything about it. Actually Kelly Stamps shared something, and she is all the way in the US. Everyone in the UK just going about their day, posting about food, ads, makeup, gifted etc. It feels wrong. My whole day felt so pointless and I couldn't even concentrate on one thing except obsessively reading the news and making sure my friends and family are okay. It infuriates me that they have a platform that can be used to speak up, but all of them are so self involved that they can't see anything but the top of their noses. They get paid outrageous amounts of money FOR WHAT? I'm sorry but I'm just so annoyed! Everyone is so superficial and I feel sick. If it doesn't directly affect their life e.g. Covid restrictions or jabs - they just don't want to know about it. I apologise if it's off topic I had to let this out.
It’s interesting how if it’s something to do with Palestine or Black Lives Matter the influencers and celebrities are all over it, posting in solidarity but I’ve noticed with other causes, such as this and earlier in the year the rise in anti semitism, they were all quiet.
Is it more socially acceptable to post about the previous two than others? I’ve noticed that AOC, Ilhan Omar, Cori Bush and Jamaal Bowman who are often very vocal on these sort of issues have not posted about Ukraine.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
I'm someone who just felt mildly annoyed about COVID I'm usually stoic and resilient. But I am in absolute turmoil over this. I haven't slept in two days I can't concentrate on things or think about anything else it's absolutely horrific. Those poor people in Ukraine . The world is a horrible place right now and I feel guilty for bringing a child into it.

My news feed on social media is people talking about pointless things like what they had for dinner or their new nails nothing about Ukraine.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
This person who has written for Vogue has some interesting takes on the AnnaLynne McCord video…
8B40A126-9FE3-4857-A02F-72FEEB43760A.jpeg
A9979DAE-528B-4BF5-94A3-F74274E85EC0.jpeg

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 22
Sad thing is that we are unable to be 100% sure that the media reports are true and correct, as they all have their own agenda.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I woke up at four after hideous nightmares. It's so quiet and peaceful here: I can hear the dawn chorus twittering in the wood. It makes what it happening in Ukraine seem even more poignant. Opened the Guardian app to see that Kyiv is under heavy fire. Those poor people - what agony, what uncertainty, what paralysing fear they are suffering. And yet they fight on, the citizens' militias mobilising to protect themselves and the land they love from the imperialism jackbooting across their borders.
I don't know about anyone else, but I can't see any way the West CAN'T be involved.
The historical echoes are too resonant, too clear. If Ukraine is allowed to fall while the EU and other nations witter on about sanctions - which will do little but spread the pain across civilian populations - it will be Hitler's annexation of the Sudetenland all over again. It is merely kicking the can down the road. In a week or a month, Putin will move on former Soviet satellite states. China will be emboldened to go after Taiwan. Because of AUKUS, the US, UK and Australia will be dragged into conflict regardless. And other totalitarian states will be emboldened to invade nations they claim as historical homelands.
I don't want war. I've seen too many friends come back from Iraq and Afghan absolutely broken. But what other choice do we have? Can we allow this monstrous evil to creep through sovereign nations, leaving trails of the blood of innocents in its wake?
The only heartening thing I have seen is Russians, worldwide, protesting the war. Some have burnt their passports. It really is a case of #NotAllRussians.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
WHY IS NOBODY SENDING MILITARY TO JUST GET THEM OUT? They are all waiting for Russians to move past Ukraine. Can someone Educate me as to why they're waiting for this war to spread rather than act now? Why are they letting them take Ukraine so easily? Sanctions have not and will not do anything to deter them. Ukrainians are speaking out about needing help, why is everyone else just sitting sipping tea and watching them take more lives?

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.