Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Autisteuse

VIP Member
Myanmar has come out in support of Russia - "Russia has done its part to maintain its sovereignty, and I think it's the right thing to do". Quel surprise - vicious and despotic junta supports bloodthirsty sociopath.

ETA: Latest update: 'Ukraine expects a Russian tank attack later on Friday which could become the hardest day in the war, an adviser to Ukraine's interior minister said. Anton Herashchenko said the defenders of Kyiv were ready with anti-tank missles supplied by foreign powers." (From the Guardian). Also: "the UK Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has said that it is the view of British intelligence that Russia intends to invade the whole of Ukraine but its army failed to deliver on the first day of invasion."

It's going to be a hellish day. Time to pray - and pray hard.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 27

wafflesnwings

VIP Member
Very much so. Putin's comment about Bolshevik's giving Russian land away and referencing the year 1917 is very pertinent to Finland. We gained independence from Russia in 1917 as a consequence of the Russian revolution.

Someone said earlier here, that the current cancel culture is a dangerous precedent as people will erase, rather than learn from, history and I couldn't agree more. I see this from many sides, as I live in the UK.
I agree fully. Cancel culture is insidious - you have to learn from history and see it in all its entirety (even the parts that make people uncomfortable). Erasing history is dangerous - I wish more of these cancel culture advocates realise how important it is to be honest about our respective countries' stories. If you know where you are from, you know where you are headed

• Heart
I cannot tell you how much this thread is easing my anxiety about all of this. As selfish as it sounds places like Facebook are full to the brim of John from next door saying “We’re going down it’s as simple as that”.
I cannot even begin to imagine the heartache that the Ukrainian people are feeling, and also the frustration. It’s hard to believe we’re in 2022 when you wake up to news like that. The news is also so confusing because yesterday they reported 3 things on the BBC and then they posted something after saying “Ukraine denies that they’ve been in peace talks” …. Confusion and worry is taking over so many people!

• Heart

CrystalWench

Chatty Member
Lighthearted in this serious time but it’s a shame Zelensky hasn’t got all us who think he’s so handsome to protect him.
He really is an incredible leader, as this goes on his determination and leadership shows absolute. phenomenal dedication. He’s quite young with young children, and he’s literally putting his whole country above his family. I don’t think there is another leader who will or would do that, certainly not that spineless bastard in the Kremlin. Whatever the outcome I really believe Zelensky will have hero like status.

• Heart

Eirawen

VIP Member
That ‘no way is Putin going to stop at Ukraine’, ‘he is Hitler ii’ ie looking to take over
He said he had no intention to attack Ukraine and he has gone and done it, Hitler said that no way would he march into Poland and off he went and then took most of Europe over too. I think Putin has the same megalomaniac delusions as Hitler and is also a liar just like him. Hitler wanted to cleanse Europe of Jews, Putin claims there are Nazis in Ukraine which he wants to bring to justice, no doubt they will also be cleansed.

• Sad

Just here to say

Chatty Member
WHY IS NOBODY SENDING MILITARY TO JUST GET THEM OUT? They are all waiting for Russians to move past Ukraine. Can someone Educate me as to why they're waiting for this war to spread rather than act now? Why are they letting them take Ukraine so easily? Sanctions have not and will not do anything to deter them. Ukrainians are speaking out about needing help, why is everyone else just sitting sipping tea and watching them take more lives?

• Heart

Pinotsgoats

And do you think that the billionaire oligarchs have bank accounts and property squirrelled away in the west and only the west? That they don’t have billions on account in the Cayman Islands, Panama, or Iran, or Turkmenistan, or any other number of anti-Western countries? You don’t get to be a billionaire by being so stupid that you pop all your wealth into an instant access card account at Lloyds.

And where billions are involved there will be an endless stream of corrupt banking and government officials who are willing to....make errors....to facilitate these funds.

I work in financial services, my instructions are any payments to Russia are to be “delayed”. Delayed. Only delayed. I’m furious.
And the Swiss have said that they won't apply any additional sanctions, beyond what the EU does, so it's all futile. The Swiss who are sitting fat and bloated on gold bars made from the teeth of Holocaust victims, so my contempt for them is already pretty high.

• Angry
  • Wow

ahtisyourself

VIP Member
It’s very easy to direct your troops to fight but Putin himself wouldn’t last two minutes in the firing line, because behind it all he is a coward. Look at Zelensky. Now there’s a man who will go down in the history books. Not an evil bully who is the worst thing to happen to this world since Hitler

• Heart

strawb

VIP Member
I know people have kids and wee heartbroken for them but I'm not a mum. I have pets, a dog and a cat. I live by myself and they are my bestfriends. Seeing people fleeing with their pets is what sets me off.
i understand completely how you feel, i keep hugging my cat, thinking about all the terrified animals there makes me cry 😭

• Sad
  • Heart

Notredamn

VIP Member
We have to remember that most of the videos which have been circulating are old footage from other wars or training exercises. This has been verified.
Its out of order that Ukraine has closed their borders to men. Most people wouldn’t choose to fight and are pacifists, they should be allowed to seek refuge. It’s one thing people in government feeling they owe their country, but normal folk shouldn’t be forced into conflict.

CallieLallie

I think there is a lot more to come in the up coming days. Not sure about anyone else but my heart literally hurts for these people 💔 not stopped watching the news or thinking about them the last 2 days. But I honstley don't think there is any stopping putin, he's been planning this for to long to just stop after 2 days unfortunately.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

Notredamn

VIP Member
A Russian run Instagram account is saying how they do not want this war to happen. They also posted about places in Russia where people have been vocal about this.
View attachment 1087021View attachment 1087022View attachment 1087024View attachment 1087025View attachment 1087026View attachment 1087027View attachment 1087028
Safety in numbers. It’s a crime to speak out or express any view other than a positive one of their government, but when there are so many going against Putin then what can they do about it? Still very brave of every single person to stand publicly against it, though. So many Russians I know are such awesome people

• Heart

Pinotsgoats

Watching Zelensky speak live now, he’s asking for help again and looks exhausted 😔
He's in an impossible situation, and he's really proving his mettle.

A lot of people say he should have left Kyiv, but really he had no choice in the matter. That would have hugely demoralised Ukraine, and would have been what Russia wanted. They could have played on that, and anyone who thinks Russia would just have strolled in and not caused any harm is I'm sorry, woefully naive. Ukrainians are fighting for their country, and many will remember what life was like for them in the USSR (not a barrel of laughs, that's for sure). They've seen what's happened in Chechnya, in South Ossetia and other places.

He's a dead man walking any which way, or do people not remember what Russia does to dissidents? Remember what Russia did in Salisbury?! Litvinenko? They poisoned Yushchenko, former president of Ukraine.

Even if they allowed him to live it would not be a happy life. I'm a big old peacenik, but he wasn't the one who invaded another country, and attacked it's people, their children.

• Heart
  • Sad