Ukraine Russia War #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Some times I feel it’s best for them to say nothing for example I seen one (ex Love Island) post a video saying how heartbreaking it was etc then next post was a bikini picture of her ! 🤨

would of definitely been better just to say nothing
I agree, most I've seen keep posting normal stuff and throw in a share of a post about Ukraine in between posts promoting stuff they're selling. So performative and pointless.

Reactions: 13
Ukrainian defence ministry reports Russian troops are in the outskirts of Kyiv. Total defeat days, if not hours away.

In other news the EU have been unable to agree on the two sanctions that will really hurt Russia. A ban on purchasing hydrocarbons and expulsion from SWIFT, because Germany and Italy believe it should be held back till the situation escalates. Quite what is more escalated than the defeat and annexation of Ukraine isn't particularly clear. But here we are.

Germany is often portrayed as the cute fluffy bunny and the beating heart of the EU. The successes of German policy which have produced the strongest economy in Europe are trumpeted by pro-EU fanatics as the model to follow. Being dependent on Russian gas is a catastrophic failure of policy, but it seems Germany wants to avoid the consequences of bad decisions and will happily hang out the Ukraine to do so.

Aren't the Greens part of the governing coalition in Germany? I'm really not sure what is more line with green policy than limiting trade in hydrocarbons.

• Sick
Reactions: 12
Early reports coming in - gunfire heard near government quarter in Kyiv.

Federated States of Micronesia has cut ties with Russia: "The FSM will only entertain renewing diplomatic relations with the Russian Federation when the latter demonstrates actionable commitments to peace, friendship, cooperation, and love in our common humanity".
India yet to condemn, they have close ties with Russia and receive billions worth of military software source from RUS. Modi has spoken with Putin saying violence needs to end. Biden was asked and said they'd be "having consultations" with India.

1645779664889.png

From the Defence Ministry twitter (via google translate):
1645779721421.png

1645779751275.png

Richard Eden, a royal UK reporter, has suggested the UK should send Prince Michael of Kent in to try and "knock some sense" into Putin. Michael is a Russian interpreter, involved in numerous charities, his Russian grandmother was a Romanov, he looks eerily like Nicholas II and "so even maybe tinpot tyrant Putin might show him respect".

Reactions: 9
I agree, most I've seen keep posting normal stuff and throw in a share of a post about Ukraine in between posts promoting stuff they're selling. So performative and pointless.
What can they actually say? I wouldn't know the right think to say..Although The British Red Cross has released something that people are sharing .

I know of a few minimal style instagrammers who are from Poland and neighbouring counties and they've been sharing things. It is a lot closer to home for them

Reactions: 5
Banks not tanks isn't going to work is it? Putin doesn't care about sanctions he has already factored those in and can start selling to China and other allies. Can I just say that here in NI we were impacted by the fallout from Chernobly as were other parts of the UK.

Reactions: 18
I think it's best for influencers to say nothing - I don't want to see Niomi smart doing a sadface post at Soho farmhouse or hinch running around with her alpacas and a Ukrainian flag.

Only had time to listen to lbc today and they're presenting a picture that the Ukrainian side are doing well and Russians are failing at their objectives which the UK government is keen to push. They're not talking about the successes the Russians have had. I'm not sure if the one sided reporting is good or not.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
What can they actually say? I wouldn't know the right think to say..Although The British Red Cross has released something that people are sharing .

I know of a few minimal style instagrammers who are from Poland and neighbouring counties and they've been sharing things. It is a lot closer to home for them
Yeah I don't think they should be saying anything, just think it's stupid when they throw in one post there just to make themselves look good.

Reactions: 10
I think it's best for influencers to say nothing - I don't want to see Niomi smart doing a sadface post at Soho farmhouse or hinch running around with her alpacas and a Ukrainian flag.
I don't expect them to say anything perhaps just say nothing though. I wish they stopped posting for some time. (some of them I wish stopped posting forever but that's too much to ask). Stopped complaining about something pathetic. Like a decent person 😅😒

Reactions: 11
Exactly this. I'm not sure I care at all what influencers have to say on the matter. Most of the time when they do speak about things it's a box ticking exercise almost so they can say "yep, done my bit there". I can't see what any of them speaking out about the matter would do other than probably piss people off as they put on their best sympathy face whilst sat in their #gifted homes.

Reactions: 11
As you say, not the majority of white men - so don’t use the label?
It’s not a label, it’s just the stupid ones I am tired of, unfortunately, they seem to be the ones who get most of the power and do stupid things. Well evil actually. Perhaps I should say I am so tired of evil white men.

george Carlin was a white man, definitely not stupid, nor evil.

Reactions: 5
Anyone watching Sky News right now? Mark Austin in Kyiv has had to take cover as the air raid sirens have started.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Just switched on sky news and the reporters in Kyiv are heading for safety and they've had to switch back to London studio.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
I really feel that 24/7 news and SM platforms have been so damaging. Endless stories of atrocities lead to an empathy deficit, known as compassion fatigue; platforms such as Instagram, on which people are encouraged to treat themselves as products, have robotified and desensitised those who would otherwise be emotionally healthy. Instead, like the world's oldest profession, they feel compelled to continually sell themselves and their false, crafted images. Though SM can be useful - up to date news rather than polished MSM spin, connecting people living under toxic regimes, encouraging body positivity, anti-racism and so on - it's created a version of reality mediated through a phone screen. Awful that we have never been so connected yet so far apart and lonely.

Ukrainian defence ministry reports Russian troops are in the outskirts of Kyiv. Total defeat days, if not hours away.

In other news the EU have been unable to agree on the two sanctions that will really hurt Russia. A ban on purchasing hydrocarbons and expulsion from SWIFT, because Germany and Italy believe it should be held back till the situation escalates. Quite what is more escalated than the defeat and annexation of Ukraine isn't particularly clear. But here we are.

Germany is often portrayed as the cute fluffy bunny and the beating heart of the EU. The successes of German policy which have produced the strongest economy in Europe are trumpeted by pro-EU fanatics as the model to follow. Being dependent on Russian gas is a catastrophic failure of policy, but it seems Germany wants to avoid the consequences of bad decisions and will happily hang out the Ukraine to do so.

Aren't the Greens part of the governing coalition in Germany? I'm really not sure what is more line with green policy than limiting trade in hydrocarbons.
Germany also embargoed the selling of its arms via Estonia to Ukraine. There's pressure in Berlin to reverse the embargo, but it may come too late. I find its claims of compassion completely invalidating its lack of action, such as cancelling SWIFT, utterly disgusting.

Reactions: 22
When tit hits the fan, it’s usually a white man causing it though. Or some man at least
Really? Was Saddam Hussein a white man when he initiated the invasion of Kuwait. Where the initiators of the Rwandan genocide white men? What about the current wars in Yemen, or South Sudan, all white men right?

What about this delight?

Not only not a white man, but s black woman. Gasp.

Reactions: 30
Banks not tanks isn't going to work is it? Putin doesn't care about sanctions he has already factored those in and can start selling to China and other allies. Can I just say that here in NI we were impacted by the fallout from Chernobly as were other parts of the UK.
Ben Wallace, Defence Secretary has just been on GMB saying that “Putin is not in his rational mind” and he knows no sanctions will stop him advancing. I’m sure he preempted those tactics and is probably having a great laugh at the weak response.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.