Ukraine Russia War #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm going to stay away from the news for a few days. I'll donate to MSF (as I think they are most likely to be the charity that's on the ground ,helping Ukrainian refugees) but I'll drive myself completely crazy if I keep on top of things.

But I'm just popping on to say please, please, please do not panic buy. If you can wait to buy petrol or food then do. I was in the Co-Op this morning and overheard people talking about petrol stations running out and with queues down the street for some before 6am.

I also overheard the most British summary of the war possible - "it's because of that war in Ukraine" "Oh yeah?" "Yeah, it's all kicked off." Mild understatement.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
So if Ukraine falls to Russia… will putin just stop? Does he want more? Will he keep going?

It’s just terrible. I can’t stop thinking about the poor people of Ukraine just waiting for attacks 💔

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
Russian forces are only 20 miles away from Kyiv and are continuing to bombard the city. They have entered from Belarus, another nation whose leader is a disgraceful, murdering, abusive tyrant.
I imagine that they will find it very difficult to take the city. The Ukranians - the Klitschko brothers among them - are armed to the teeth with AK47s and assault rifles. Kyiv may be under siege for a long time.

• Sad
Reactions: 22
I need to look away for my sanity but feel I'm doing a huge disservice to fellow man by not being up to speed.

Blood has been shed. Now that needs to be kept to a minimum. I wish I knew how.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
So if Ukraine falls to Russia… will putin just stop? Does he want more? Will he keep going?

It’s just terrible. I can’t stop thinking about the poor people of Ukraine just waiting for attacks 💔
I don't think he will stop. But if he advances into a NATO country, Biden said he will send US military to fight them. And of course all NATO countries will have to send their military, too.

• Sad
Reactions: 22
I think no one is supporting in terms of military right now as there is no Statutory right & concerns around Russias nuclear capability - once they hit a NATO country , then there will be interventions and I am guessing , repercussions from the Russians.

Reactions: 16
Myanmar has come out in support of Russia - "Russia has done its part to maintain its sovereignty, and I think it's the right thing to do". Quel surprise - vicious and despotic junta supports bloodthirsty sociopath.

ETA: Latest update: 'Ukraine expects a Russian tank attack later on Friday which could become the hardest day in the war, an adviser to Ukraine's interior minister said. Anton Herashchenko said the defenders of Kyiv were ready with anti-tank missles supplied by foreign powers." (From the Guardian). Also: "the UK Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has said that it is the view of British intelligence that Russia intends to invade the whole of Ukraine but its army failed to deliver on the first day of invasion."

It's going to be a hellish day. Time to pray - and pray hard.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 26
WHY IS NOBODY SENDING MILITARY TO JUST GET THEM OUT? They are all waiting for Russians to move past Ukraine. Can someone Educate me as to why they're waiting for this war to spread rather than act now? Why are they letting them take Ukraine so easily? Sanctions have not and will not do anything to deter them. Ukrainians are speaking out about needing help, why is everyone else just sitting sipping tea and watching them take more lives?
Unfortunately it's not so straight forward. Sending in NATO troops to defend a non-NATO country would be viewed as an extreme act of aggression. And in the case where you're dealing with a dictator with a red button, that's not a good idea for anyone on this planet.

In lieu of immediately turning things up to 11, NATO countries are offering support in other ways. Relief and aid, taking in refugees, staging their military forces in neighboring NATO countries (if you attack a NATO country, you attack them all and all bets are off). For example, the US has given Ukraine state of the art weapons to help them defend themselves and is pledging to send more. Side note, it's that military aid (in the form of weapons) that Trump tried to use as leverage back when he was still president. He wanted to withhold the promised support unless Ukraine helped dig up dirt on Biden. Pretty disgraceful but I digress.

So basically the plan is to bolster Ukraine's fighting forces and citizens to the extent that they can fend off the Russian troops while also sanctioning the sh*t out of things to increase pressure and make this maneuver impossible or futile or at the very least too costly for Putin to continue. I hope it's enough and I pray it works.

Reactions: 51
Things I’ve learned in the last few minutes, 2 children killed overnight 💔 33 civilian sites hit 😥 Ukraine say they’ve killed over 200 Russian troops but Russia are not acknowledging any casualties, they are also reporting that they’ve only hit military targets.

Russia’s defence ministry has issued a statement asking people to stay inside their homes and prepare petrol bombs to defend themselves 😔 just been reported on GMB.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Russia claims to have destroyed 118 Ukrainian military sites (are they including the innocent civilians and residential areas as military sites? Or is that a figure they're not releasing?).
Russia's defence ministry has announced they're sending paratroopers to guard Chernobyl.

Ukraine:
- Russia has stolen at least five armoured vehicles
- Russians are dressed as Ukrainian army.
- they've halted Russians at Dymer and Ivankiv, less than 100km from Kyiv, stopped forces at Teteriv River - destroyed a bridge.
- Defence Ministry calling on civilians to make Molotov cocktails.
SES attending Vatutina and Starotaganrogska streets in Starobilsk, in Luhansk, following shelling early morning. SES states six people rescued, one dead.

Below copied from ABC AU:

"Everyone has friends or family there," said Lilya*, who spoke to the ABC after just returning from an anti-war protest in Moscow. "With Crimea, there were pro-Crimean rallies. Putin rallied people to show up. Now they don't give a tit." Lilya is a lifelong Muscovite in her 30s. Late on Thursday her social media feeds started to fill with messages about an anti-war rally in Moscow.
"LPR and DPR (the breakaway republics in eastern Ukraine) mean nothing for Russians," she said. "After two years of the pandemic when the government gave no support to the people, now [Putin] wants support for this f***ing insane project?"
She pointed out that already Russian celebrities were defying the Kremlin, filling their social media feeds with anti-war messages.

EDIT
Just read not only did Anonymous take down RT, they also got to the pages of the Kremlin, government and defence ministry. I'm never sure how I should think about Anonymous generally, in this case, well done! :D

Last edited:
I do mostly like to live in ignorance but I literally can’t stop looking at news on this. It makes me so sad that this can happen in this day and age and how someone can target an innocent country and people. Is Putin insane?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
UK Defence Secretary Ben Wallace says Russia has lost 450 personnel thus far. Also says it's clear Putin was never going to stay in Donbas. IMO that is stating the blinkin' obvious, but sure, let's have an official tell us.

I do mostly like to live in ignorance but I literally can’t stop looking at news on this. It makes me so sad that this can happen in this day and age and how someone can target an innocent country and people. Is Putin insane?
At this point I don't think anyone could argue he isn't. Well, unless they're on something very strong and very illegal.
The theories that he is actually terminally ill and this is his history-making-masterplan have merit.
His rumoured goddaughter is one of people who've spoken out against this :unsure:

Reactions: 13
Things I’ve learned in the last few minutes, 2 children killed overnight 💔 33 civilian sites hit 😥 Ukraine say they’ve killed over 200 Russian troops but Russia are not acknowledging any casualties, they are also reporting that they’ve only hit military targets.

Russia’s defence ministry has issued a statement asking people to stay inside their homes and prepare petrol bombs to defend themselves 😔 just been reported on GMB.
Can’t edit, obviously I meant Ukraine’s defence ministry 🤦🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 6
I’m just so tired of stupid white men! (N.B. I dont think the majority of white men are stupid, i am sure most are horrified by the actions of the few who wield power for their own interest only. ) I miss George Carlin.
BB33D3B4-7227-4671-9A5A-5E1F592A7424.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 30
It's just awful. Constantly refreshing the news. I don't trust how far putin will go with this and I fear for the future. No one seems stable atm anyway from covid, brexit, protests etc.

Usually I'm here for the snark on instagrammers but they have all shown their ignorance and seem to be chatting their usual shite with no mention of it.

All these influences pissing me off. Not one bloody person posted anything about it. Actually Kelly Stamps shared something, and she is all the way in the US. Everyone in the UK just going about their day, posting about food, ads, makeup, gifted etc. It feels wrong. My whole day felt so pointless and I couldn't even concentrate on one thing except obsessively reading the news and making sure my friends and family are okay. It infuriates me that they have a platform that can be used to speak up, but all of them are so self involved that they can't see anything but the top of their noses. They get paid outrageous amounts of money FOR WHAT? I'm sorry but I'm just so annoyed! Everyone is so superficial and I feel sick. If it doesn't directly affect their life e.g. Covid restrictions or jabs - they just don't want to know about it. I apologise if it's off topic I had to let this out.
Some times I feel it’s best for them to say nothing for example I seen one (ex Love Island) post a video saying how heartbreaking it was etc then next post was a bikini picture of her ! 🤨

would of definitely been better just to say nothing

Reactions: 23
This young woman fleeing with her orange chonk in her arms has ended me 😢

There was a video of a father saying goodbye to his daughter going around. His wife and daughter were fleeing and he was staying behind to fight. Gut wrenching 😥

• Sad
Reactions: 28
Wow so much tech comes from Ukrainian companies and/or Ukrainian founders and developers - WhatsApp, PayPal, Grammarly, Revolut, Ring etc

Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.