Ukraine Russia War #14

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Power stations and substations being destroyed around Kyiv,
Sky News Live Blog 09:19 Russian strikes completely destroy power plant outside Kyiv

Interfax UA 11:43 11.04.2024 Russian attacks completely destroy Trypilska TPP – head of Centerenergo's supervisory board
Russian attacks completely destroy Trypilska TPP – head of Centerenergo's supervisory board
After a heavy missile attack on the night of Thursday, April 11, Russian troops completely destroyed the Trypilska Thermal Power Plant (TPP) in Kyiv region.

Persistent daily/nightly attacks on Kharkiv in their second (third?) week now

Morning air defence report - 82 missiles/drones, of which 57 shot down

From the report text (browser translation)
In total, the enemy used 82 means of air attack:
🚀 20 Kh-101/Kh-555 cruise missiles from Tu-95 MS strategic aircraft (launch area – Saratov region-russia);
🚀 6 Kh-47M2 Kinzhal aeroballistic missiles from MiG-31K fighters (launch area - Tambov region - Russian Federation);
☄ 12 S-300 anti-aircraft guided missiles (launched from the Belgorod region - russia);
🛵 40 attack UAVs of the Shahed-131/136 type (from the areas of Primorsko-Akhtarsk - russia, Chauda - Crimea).
🚀 4 Kh-59 guided air missiles (from the airspace of the occupied Zaporizhzhia region).

💥 Fighter aircraft and anti-aircraft missile forces of the Air Force, mobile fire groups and electronic warfare units of the Defense Forces of Ukraine were involved in repelling the enemy's air attack.

As a result of the air battle, 57 air targets were destroyed:
🚀 16 Kh-101/Kh-555 cruise missiles;
🛵 39 Shahed-131/136 attack UAVs;
🚀 2 Kh-59 guided air missiles.

And over the last day or two, 'concerns voiced' over Ukraine disabling Russian refineries but TBH if they are making their own (impressively surgical) guidable/cruise missiles then it's up to them what they hit. You can't attach strings to something you didn't provide.

He’s picking his words carefully but doesn’t seem like war is too far away.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
This seems a little odd as IIRC most of the output from the refineries was for internal use and sanctions would severely limit what Russia could buy and depends on people accepting roubles - presumably this is what Lavrov's extra heavy charm offensive on BRICS has been looking to fix

The things that hit the power station near Kyiv

Having to ration the air defences doesn't help

[ continues with ]
4/ ...in an attempt to collapse Ukraine’s energy grid and constrain Ukraine’s defense industrial capacity while Russian ground forces take advantage of their ability to use air strikes on Ukrainian frontline positions to make slow but steady gains.

The increased 'Russia wants to negotiate' continues, and Nebenzya at the UN has said that Ukraine's unconditional surrender will happen any day now:
Noting that the Russian armies are advancing across all fronts, he said: “This trend won’t be reversed by a new Western aid package.” Very soon, the only topic at any international meeting on Ukraine will be the unconditional surrender of the Kyiv regime.
Some might suggest that he wasn't really addressing the council with those remarks.

Reactions: 1
Little bit of news that passed me by.....
The tricky bit is whether they will be allowed through the Bosphorus - but there is another route through to the Black Sea, via the Rhine and the Danube, just about fitting through the canal that links them, IIRC with about a foot to spare if I understood the specs correctly.

Reactions: 3
This is what happens when the guy with the binoculars says 'hey that one looks like it might still just about work' and you don't have a tractor handy

A modernised one with some fancy electronic warfare gear (which is being put under the microscope) and the tank itself is being repaired (and one presumes rebadged), to be pointed back in the other direction.

Might be a reminder for Brits that Ukraine war is still going on etc.
I was thinking about this the other day actually. This thread has become so quiet and feels like everyone has just moved on. So depressing

Reactions: 3
Might be a reminder for Brits that Ukraine war is still going on etc.
I was thinking about this the other day actually. This thread has become so quiet and feels like everyone has just moved on. So depressing
A lot to do with feeling like things are on repeat.

OTOH some better news to counter some dire sounding stuff from the other day

I saw remarks about Russian systemic weaknesses being exposed by the flooding and potentially exploited but it seems there really isn't much need of any outside help for that

Biit optimistic there, thinking Putin will put his dreams of a restored historic russia on hold for anything short of an alien invasion.

Reactions: 2
Back to some pessimism, and then the politics of funding...

I will give you one example, a very simple example, the Trypilska power plant. Electricity in the Kyiv region depends on it. Eleven missiles were headed towards it. The first seven, we took down. Four destroyed Trypilska.

Why? Because we had zero missiles. We ran out of all missiles

Goings-on in the DC paperwork paradise, all sounds very well intentioned but looks a lot like a manufactured opportunity to allow things to be individually voted on

The House plans to hold separate votes on aid for Israel and Ukraine after delays
House Speaker Mike Johnson has announced a path forward on aid to Ukraine and Israel after months of delay because of GOP divisions. Iran's unprecedent attack on Israel over the weekend increased pressure on Congress to act.

Johnson plans to bring forward three separate bills on funding for Israel, Taiwan and Ukraine.

But my faith in US political figures is somewhat minimal so am not convinced that the reason for doing this is as entirely above board as it might seem.

Here
ukraine_chernihiv.jpg

and an update

e2a and the BBC link has now updated too, that total is unlikely to be the final figure :(

Last edited:
  • Sad
Well this would create any number of problems. Yikes.

Incidents over the years of carelessness (some even genuinely so) have variously been labelled as demonstrations and/or carefully targeted and I have no doubt that the next comms cable slicing will have Russia denying that any of their nearby trawlers had anything to do with it and if they did it was accidental and what about nordstream...

OK so the aid bill is getting put forward but I have a question about what happens with proposed amendments... these seem to be for real and not parody/satire...

This seems to be all the amendments proposed by the person in question

Unfamiliar with procedures over there - but presumably there is some sort of sanity-based process whereby that kind of fringe stuff gets filtered out, or will they have to debate each of these one by one?

TBH in this instance I would actually be fine with the idea of having been caught out by a well engineered spoof because the alternative is that it's for real and there's an actual voted-for decision maker doing it, and thriving on the controversy.

At which point I am reminded of Poe's Law, where (to paraphrase) satire is indistinguishable from reality, or was that the other way round...

This will be interesting

But fear not, Russia has promised they won't invade anyone over it

Maybe because it's 'global partner' status (which is about cooperation rather than membership) or maybe the Kremlin has yet to decide on their framing of it.
And probably lying about the invading bit but logistics will require someone to do it on their behalf.

Argentina considering aid to ukraine, will need to check* what form that has taken or if it is still pending - IIRC there was something about handing over helicopters recently (or due to be) decommissioned as a starting point.

* yes, two mi-17E transports, last month it looks like

Last edited:
OK so the aid bill is getting put forward but I have a question about what happens with proposed amendments... these seem to be for real and not parody/satire...

This seems to be all the amendments proposed by the person in question

Unfamiliar with procedures over there - but presumably there is some sort of sanity-based process whereby that kind of fringe stuff gets filtered out, or will they have to debate each of these one by one?

TBH in this instance I would actually be fine with the idea of having been caught out by a well engineered spoof because the alternative is that it's for real and there's an actual voted-for decision maker doing it, and thriving on the controversy.

At which point I am reminded of Poe's Law, where (to paraphrase) satire is indistinguishable from reality, or was that the other way round...
Oh she's absolutely serious, but these kinds of stunts are her normal way of conducting herself. They'll all be cut before it goes through.
---
I should also add that her grandstanding is for attention and approval of the crazies who are full on MAGA who can't discern reality from fiction.
---
This may help give some context.

Last edited:
Oh she's absolutely serious, but these kinds of stunts are her normal way of conducting herself. They'll all be cut before it goes through.
---
I should also add that her grandstanding is for attention and approval of the crazies who are full on MAGA who can't discern reality from fiction.
I have found that 'Jay in Kyiv' can be hilariously blunt in their assessments!

The 'accusatory' type amendments all look very familiar, it's like someone pulled a bunch of headlines off a news website and stuck them into a template.

I'm hoping the crazy amendments don't hold things up simply by their sheer volume, given someone somewhere in the pipeline has to do all that reviewing and cutting even if the process does resemble a CV-filtering where you hand a massive stack of them to the YTS and tell them to bin everyone whose name starts with a W or a T or an F.

Reminding countries that Putin doesn't actually care about them

Reported earlier today was this

And this bit of news I think the economist writers have not grasped the reality

The Ukrainians aren't ignoring anyone. They are getting on with doing what's necessary with their own stuff that they made themselves that doesn't have anyone else's strings attached.