Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Kawaiiuk

I lived in Russia for a while in 1999/2000 and worked volunteering in an orphanage out there. Absolutely loved it and the Russian people, I was out in the middle of nowhere in the Bryansk region. Anyway I've stayed in touch with the director of the orphanage, who was like a 2nd mum to me. A well educated and intelligent person who I've always looked up to, she's now in her early 60s. She is 100% pro Putin and believes anything he puts out. Since the start of the war in Ukraine she's had a very twisted view of it, and yesterday I texted to check her and her family were okay following the attacks.

This is the response I got:
I'm fine, Katya and Yaellina are fine too. The shooting took place in City Hall. People came to the concert, they were shot at point-blank range. A terrible terrorist attack killed many people and children. Your government is happy about what happened in Moscow. It is believed that this was done by England and the States.

I'm aware of the narrative today about who the attackers were, but the amount of control Putin has through the press is ridiculous and many Russians are just lapping it up. It's so scary how the twisted narrative is influencing more justification for war.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 9

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Putin;

This will sound awful but I have such sympathy for Palestine and the genocide happening in Gaza.
Less so for Ukraine because of the amount we’ve taken in and basically paid to come here, many not from any area effected by war. seeing the benefits they were living on with many openly boasting about it (personal experience)
Then this;

Going home on holidays at Christmas, they couldn’t get the dog on the flight so abandoned it. Fuckers

the actions of a few really do taint the many. The actions of our government in how they’re handeling Gaza compared to Ukraine is mind blowing

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7

Doctor_Wibble

VIP Member
Conned, coerced, and then shoved to the front.

All while Russia touts itself as the great friend of the people of the 'global south'.

• Sad
Reactions: 6

GingerSnapped

Feel like I’m getting sucked in by all the conspiracy theories this week but the fact they “caught” all 4 shooters within hours of the event seems so unrealistic unless they knew exactly who they were looking for before it even happened.

Kawaiiuk

Yes I could be her age with all she's lived through, but she's always been one of the more progressive Russian women I've known and she's travelled to England to visit us and also the USA, so she's seen what it's like out of Russia.

When Russia invaded the Ukraine at first her justification was that they were protecting the Ukraine from terrorists, so in effect helping the Ukraine. Interestingly the Russian orphanage I worked in now houses Ukrainian children who have been 'rescued'.

Propaganda out there is huge, and they just lap it up.

Doctor_Wibble

VIP Member
Nearly two years on, Putin's attempt to turn Ukraine into an unnamed piece of Russia is still being held back.

Doctor_Wibble

VIP Member
Article about army recruitment in Ukraine (archived link)

The prospect of being shot at is never an appealing one!

Though the piece ends with this:
I have always said that the lessons of Ukraine are lessons for all of us. War has returned to Europe, and it requires vast numbers of citizens to fight.
The Ukrainians are dying on the fringes of our continent so that we don’t have to. Let’s give them everything they need — or one day, the press gangs might return here, too.
Which sounds like decent advice, even if the warning does feel a bit dramatic.

Reactions: 5

Laughingforlife

VIP Member

I think slide 5 onwards here sums it up.
The west has become exhausted, as Putin was bargaining on. And I'm scared of trump getting in, and cutting support for Ukraine etc. Very scared the world will get much worse...

• Sad

Laughingforlife

VIP Member
I really hope so. I loved my time out there and would love to go back in safer times.
Bless you. It's always very encouraging to hear people say things like that.
There's so much anti Russian rhetoric out there at the moment, but people also like to attack ordinary Russians.
Don't worry. We'll get there, it's my dream to return too. :)

• Heart

Moley1

Chatty Member
Death toll nearing 100 now. It has been suggested that IS are responding to Wagner’s operations in parts of Africa. It’s a shame they didn’t target Putin rather than a rock concert crowd. US passed on intel that an attack was imminent which was apparently ignored.