UK Politics

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Glad this has its own thread, just posted about it in the U.K. politics one. Transparent bunch of arseholes

Reactions: 2
So much for letting the police do their job.

What next banning all email apart from a government assigned one supplied by g4s?

Screenshot_20211019-075341_Twitter.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I'm suprised the influencers haven't all jumped on it yet, well maybe I'm not as they're not politically astute so haven't heard about it yet.

It's all too similar to when people used a suicide of someone that was worried about a custodial sentence from the crown prosecution service for their own gain.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
A lot of MPs rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of extending the Online Safety Bill under the guise of safety. David’s law?! Online threats had absolutely nothing to do with what happened.

They are a bunch of opportunistic, self-serving ghouls. Legitimate death threats can already be dealt with. Anyone happy to go along with handing over highly sensitive personal data to access social media is a short-sighted dolt. “If you’ve got nothing to hide” 😑
This feels like a very knee jerk reaction. David was killed by (what looks like) an Islamist extremist. Surely it would be better to create a law around making sure people who are flagged get properly looked into, I read that the murderer was on the PREVENT system but the police didn’t take it far enough or something similar.

Although they were both committed by extremists, I do feel that the media handling and general feeling surrounding the murders of Jo Cox and Sir David Amess is different.

After Jo Cox there was a massive focus on the perpetrator's cause - right wing extremism - and rightly so. After David Amess, it's all about social media hate, which as far as I can see had little to do with his murder.

This is a massive news story, yet on here we've probably had barely 30 - 40 comments about it across a handful of threads.

I do believe, as mentioned above, that the linking of social media to this crime will be the government's push for anti-privacy laws. Yeah call it David's law to tug on the old heartstrings 🙄

Didn't Katie Price want similar laws? Due to the abuse her and Harvey get, she wanted an end to anonymous acvounts?
The influencers have been pushing for it for a long time ,I'm sure anyone that get's any negativity would be for it but is it safer to send your thoughts via SM or turn up at someones door and accost them ? neither is attractive but I'd rather block and delete as comfront someone if they were that desperate to make their point ,it wouldn't do away with what happened to the MP you'll always have those people that overstep the mark .

As if by magic it seems to have disappeared ? haven't seen anything about it on MSM today ( yet) .

Do we have anything more than mark Francois' word that David was working on the online harms bill? I can't find anything publicly and the bill has been talked about for years now.

His comments on slit Theresa may's throat don't look good. But let's blame members of the public alone for toxic things in society.

"We're signing your death warrent"

Do we have anything more than mark Francois' word that David was working on the online harms bill? I can't find anything publicly and the bill has been talked about for years now.

His comments on slit Theresa may's throat don't look good. But let's blame members of the public alone for toxic things in society.

Oh gosh, what he’s said is vile!

After Jo Cox there was a massive focus on the perpetrator's cause - right wing extremism - and rightly so. After David Amess, it's all about social media hate, which as far as I can see had little to do with his murder.
Right wing hate is more palpable for left wing parties. No one wants to be seen to be doing something about Islamic extremism.

So much for the "kinder, gentler politics" that was priomised after the murder of Jo Cox. They all need to give their heads a wobble and realise that their words have resonance.

Also, I didn't even realise François was back in the game. That piece of news must have passed me by 😬

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I'd forgotten about all the "Theresa may is a dead woman" and "she's cut up into bits in the freezer" they were definitely reported on.

Did any MP put their name to them or was it "anonymous Whitehall sources"?

How does the division of Northern Ireland and Ireland work practically? Is there a border or is it like driving from France into Spain for example?
I would love to visit North and South, find the history and culture fascinating and the scenery looks stunning
There is zero border at all. Driving south - the road signs change to KM and start to include Irish and you know you're in the Republic. A hard border wouldn't work in practice due to how people live here but also, anyone born on the island of Ireland (Northern Ireland too) automatically has Irish citizenship and is entitled to an Irish passport - a hard border would be essentially denying that right to be 'Irish' for us in NI.

Not only social media but some forums too (cough, cough..DS). A forum where hateful speech, libel comments and downright lies (being made out to be fact) are allowed to go unpunished by their utterly useless and clearly bias mods. Whilst those that stand up to the nastiness are warned, or banned.

Reactions: 4
Just watching the PMs questions Starmer wants the second reading of the online harms bill done before the years out ,he wants directors of SM companies that allow estremists/trolling to be held accountable for whats posted on their sites and face criminal charges ,Boris has agreed to do whatever it takes to stop online abuse ....I won't be holding my breath then :sneaky:

Starmer seems so out of touch, does he get the internet? The idea of cleaning it up is like fighting the tide. That said some places should be a lot more strict, but it's near impossible to stop people being radicalised online. Public posts on twitter and Facebook are the least of the problems. Driving people to private places could expose them to far more extreme content.

I'm shocked the influencers haven't jumped on this, maybe they realise people talking about them negatively isn't even in the same ballpark as hate speach and terrorist activity?

Isn't telegram Russian owned? Even if they got it removed from the app stores it would take people minutes to still access it.

Edit: I'll merge this David's law with UK politics as it's pretty much the same thing!

Last edited:
Not only social media but some forums too (cough, cough..DS). A forum where hateful speech, libel comments and downright lies (being made out to be fact) are allowed to go unpunished by their utterly useless and clearly bias mods. Whilst those that stand up to the nastiness are warned, or banned.
I’m not on DS but there are two sides to this coin,
Because if someone gets offended by another user’s opinion (say anti vax because it’s such a topic right now) and they report it, they feel it should be taken down,
Others feel it’s clearly their opinion and they’re just crazy,
Others agree with them,
Some sit on the fence and don’t have an opinion,
Some really don’t know what to believe,

If it’s a chat forum and these are opinions, and a mod removes posts rather than allow a natural (civil) discussion,
They’re damned if they do damned if they don’t.
Because they’re accused of being bias anyway.
No offense to any threads, but I don’t think anyone here is secretly working for anyone of importance, but if a user messes up their own post they’re speculating that staff have something to do with it 😂

I think most forums try to keep an eye on what’s going on and remove anything that crosses the line,
But there is this grey area in between that I find interesting, so going back to a law like this, not just removing content from the internet.
Where does it end.
At what point are we told we don’t have a right to post ANYTHING online at all, people go to places with no rules and no moderation, a private chat that nobody can see, nobody can flag to the public because we can’t post online.

Is the next law we that we can’t leave our homes without permission, or eat in a restaurant without a type of medication,
All this sounds like stuff you’d read in a novel but 2/3 has been our lives for the last 2 years.
I’m just rambling…

• Heart
Starmer seems so out of touch, does he get the internet? The idea of cleaning it up is like fighting the tide. That said some places should be a lot more strict, but it's near impossible to stop people being radicalised online. Public posts on twitter and Facebook are the least of the problems. Driving people to private places could expose them to far more extreme content.

I'm shocked the influencers haven't jumped on this, maybe they realise people talking about them negatively isn't even in the same ballpark as hate speach and terrorist activity?

Isn't telegram Russian owned? Even if they got it removed from the app stores it would take people minutes to still access it.

Edit: I'll merge this David's law with UK politics as it's pretty much the same thing!
Just going by dissident groups where I live the internet is the last thing they use to get their message across you'll never find anything posted from these groups on SM only in the guise of politics the real extremists operate on a different level they wouldn't be so stupid as to use SM as a way of communicating they're already infiltrated by undercover agents that watch their every move waiting for them to slip up ,it's a joke to think by restricting online activity it's going to cure extremism.

I’m not on DS but there are two sides to this coin,
Because if someone gets offended by another user’s opinion (say anti vax because it’s such a topic right now) and they report it, they feel it should be taken down,
Others feel it’s clearly their opinion and they’re just crazy,
Others agree with them,
Some sit on the fence and don’t have an opinion,
Some really don’t know what to believe,

If it’s a chat forum and these are opinions, and a mod removes posts rather than allow a natural (civil) discussion,
They’re damned if they do damned if they don’t.
Because they’re accused of being bias anyway.
No offense to any threads, but I don’t think anyone here is secretly working for anyone of importance, but if a user messes up their own post they’re speculating that staff have something to do with it 😂

I think most forums try to keep an eye on what’s going on and remove anything that crosses the line,
But there is this grey area in between that I find interesting, so going back to a law like this, not just removing content from the internet.
Where does it end.
At what point are we told we don’t have a right to post ANYTHING online at all, people go to places with no rules and no moderation, a private chat that nobody can see, nobody can flag to the public because we can’t post online.

Is the next law we that we can’t leave our homes without permission, or eat in a restaurant without a type of medication,
All this sounds like stuff you’d read in a novel but 2/3 has been our lives for the last 2 years.
I’m just rambling…
I did not include Tattle in my previous comment as it is a well moderated forum that allows difference of opinions and stamps on the trolls that personally attack others for holding a difference of opinion. It has been a pleasure so far, to have joined this site last year. Whilst many forums are very good at dealing with hate, harassment and trolling posted by their members, Sadly that is not true of all Internet forums.

DS on the other hand is a completely different kettle of fish - as many DS members on here will also agree with.

If for example I turned round on DS and said that Corbyn was the most dangerous man ever in politics, I would have been jumped on by a good number of people, with personal insults following and numerous attempts to force me out of the discussion and shut down my opinions.

If I complained to the mods on there about harassment and trolling, no action would be taken.

It is not a discussion forum, but an echo chamber of left wing views you **must** agree with - supported and abetted by their moderation team.

There is no pont stamping on social media site such as Facebook and Twitter for hate and trolling of others, when sites such as DS also actively allow it and do nothing about it when complaints are raised.

It should only be those poorly moderated forums that allow this hate to flourish unchallenged that should have something to fear. Not the good ones like Tattle, that do take hate, harassment and trolling seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Didn't Katie Price want similar laws? Due to the abuse her and Harvey get, she wanted an end to anonymous acvounts?
I'm glad someone else said this cause I didn't want to be that person and this is probably controversial to say, but Katie Price and many other women have been bringing this to attention for years and running campaigns. Bobby Norris from Towie also has a campaign regarding homophobic abuse online and the anonymity, after the racism of the World Cup, it was brought to attention again and of course what's happened is really horrific but it's like... what now a middle class white man has died suddenly the MP's want to change something? Doesn't matter that it's been an issue for years. Just wasn't affecting the right group apparently?

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.