UK Politics

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think the murder has led to the wider issue that I think Jo Cox's husband got spot on.

The best part of the last decade has got more diversive when it comes to politics. The whole 'tory scum' thing is just as bad as what Trump did. Its inflaming hatred and needs to stop and people need to be held to account.

And if people online need to be held to account, so do bloody inflencers. Their whole culture is sick and is helping feed many issues in society.

Reactions: 9
It's an odd thing online communities.

For example, you have little groups, Brenda, Barbara and Gladys, they love to knit, swop recipes and giggle at cheeky photo's, all silly fun in private, but then some members get twitchy fingers and before you know it, one of them is banned for life, another put in time out from posting :(

Meanwhile, there are parents who get a tug on their sleeve, a teenager child who's spotted vile comments about them, which could drive them to suicide .... reported but then you get "does not breach our guidelines" :oops: madness.

Then you get all sorts of vile photo's of harm to others and they don't get taken down, but a new Mum showing baby gets tugged because there is a small amount of boobs in the shot and oh my, we can't have those being shown doing their job now can we? :oops: again madness.

Reactions: 5
It's pretty disgusting how they're using this tragedy for their own agenda.

I don't know much about terrorist radicalisation, but I'm sure it happens on dark web / encrypted type stuff that's near impossible to shut down.
I haven’t seen any indication he was linked to any online activity/abuse/trolling and I very much doubt stripping everyone of the anonymity will be the nail in the coffin when it comes to terrorist activity.

what I find hard to understand is, they majority have rejected the suggestion of private/extra security or zoom calls with the public instead of face to face meetings, and they seem to suggest this is the answer,

but do they watch PM’s questions and see how they interact with each other 🙄

politics will always bring extreme reactions and emotions to the surface, especially from the public who are the ones dealing with the consequences, I’m not condoning it btw,

but a lot of people are too scared to say how the feel without anonymity (abuse victims for example)
Taking that away because of the actions of a few just goes too far in my opinion,

we don’t teach people how *not* to be an alcoholic by banning everyone from purchasing alcohol.
People need to learn, but not by punishment and restrictions.

Reactions: 3
The people are a bit nuts but in a good way. I suppose years of violence has left a collective trauma on the population. Peace feels very fragile too so it can’t be taken for granted. It’s very jingoistic in its love for either the UK or Ireland depending on your views. Flags everywhere, murals, the whole shebang. I couldn’t live there. I’m not religious and religion is still very influential there. But I do love to visit and the people are really friendly. The scenery is incredible too.
In general what are people in ROI views on a united Ireland? On social media and talking to people (normally second generation Irish) you only seem to get the extreme end of both sides.

Hmmm the Panorama seemed a light touch on the topic as usual. Ending with no real conclusion basically saying maybe the government will do something, maybe they won't. It didn't shed light on anything new. Maybe it would have been a bit more hard hitting if they'd have aired it post-watershed

In general what are people in ROI views on a united Ireland? On social media and talking to people (normally second generation Irish) you only seem to get the extreme end of both sides.
I can’t speak for everyone but most people I know aren’t bothered either way. Realistically things are too far gone for it to be integrated successfully into the south given that you’d be asking people to completely overhaul their way of living, new culture, currency, language, education system etc.

I admit I would love a united ireland in a romantic kind of way but I ultimately think it’s not really important what anyone down south thinks and should be left up to those in the north.

Reactions: 1
His murder was horrific,

but I’m finding it hard to see how a man, previously flagged to police, who stabbed a politician multiple times, When they believe it has a potential link to Islamist extremism, has anything to do with online abuse….

security yes, i could even understand people questioning who they “let into the country”

but online abuse?! Seems to me like they’re using this to push an agenda they’ve been trying to push for a while now 😐
I think it may have to do with radical grooming. These evil cult like groups prey on the vulernable and lonely people and make them believe in their cause. Its awful.

I dont see how it can be liked to big tits martha stating that a shampoo some influencers is flogging is full of shite and shes only doing it because she cannot be arsed to get a regular job like the rest of us plebs. Nope, dont see it?!

How does the division of Northern Ireland and Ireland work practically? Is there a border or is it like driving from France into Spain for example?
I would love to visit North and South, find the history and culture fascinating and the scenery looks stunning

I can’t speak for everyone but most people I know aren’t bothered either way. Realistically things are too far gone for it to be integrated successfully into the south given that you’d be asking people to completely overhaul their way of living, new culture, currency, language, education system etc.

I admit I would love a united ireland in a romantic kind of way but I ultimately think it’s not really important what anyone down south thinks and should be left up to those in the north.
Yeah I think the idea of it definitely sparks romanticism of 'dear old Ireland' type images. It must make people in Northern Ireland even more disillusioned if people in ROI aren't too bothered either. It's a tough situation all round.

How does the division of Northern Ireland and Ireland work practically? Is there a border or is it like driving from France into Spain for example?
I would love to visit North and South, find the history and culture fascinating and the scenery looks stunning
No border at all. The road signs change ( we use Km ), there’s a few Welcome to NI signs but that’s it. It can’t possibly go to a hard border - people on both sides work in the opposite side and would cause chaos. I’d feel really upset having to show my ID to a border agent tbh. I’m heading up there next week on holiday and it will be seamless to just go across, having to go through customs would seriously impact tourism and trade. They need us a lot more than we need them.

Reactions: 2
Thank God for that, there’s a lot of MPs throwing their weight against online abuse today they’ll jump on any bandwagon going maybe they’ll even name some kind of bill after David Amess this is the perfect time to push something through 🤨
Could see that coming
E3824BB1-1C3B-4B3C-A0A5-C5133F08344F.jpeg

Apparently David had vowed to fight online trolling before his death
F96DBE59-7B2B-4412-ADA2-0C8562C71ABA.jpeg
D85D8E75-BB2D-42F2-AB89-D9357DEB120C.jpeg

I wonder if there could be a way of ending online anonymity for people contacting public figures through social media rather than ending online anonymity across the board. Maybe some sort of gateway that messages to public figures (and comments in their timelines?) have to pass though?

This would allow people to comment anonymously btl on newspaper articles, in any commentary forum and in other specified situations but not allow them to contact a public figure anonymously. That would help with what is everyone's main concern - to end the vile abuse and threats of violence that women in public life, in particular, are subjected to - without curtailing freedom of expression and the use of anonymity in certain sensitive situations.

[
I wonder if there could be a way of ending online anonymity for people contacting public figures through social media rather than ending online anonymity across the board. Maybe some sort of gateway that messages to public figures (and comments in their timelines?) have to pass though?

This would allow people to comment anonymously btl on newspaper articles, in any commentary forum and in other specified situations but not allow them to contact a public figure anonymously. That would help with what is everyone's main concern - to end the vile abuse and threats of violence that women in public life, in particular, are subjected to - without curtailing freedom of expression and the use of anonymity in certain sensitive situations.
Much better idea. Would also stop vulnerable people who message these people genuinely waiting for replies being able to contact people who don’t give a tit about them. Would also stop certain influencers being able to send messages to them self, screen shotting it and claiming they get sooo much abuse if that’s stopped. Loads of them do this for engagement and clout, it’s usually very obvious as they are typed very similar to how they type it and it’s word for word feedback from them scrolling on tattle

The Parliamentary investigation team said that less than 15% of abusive correspondence is done via social media, the majority was done by letter or phone calls/emails.

also heard a really valid point earlier, take away the ability to be anonymous online and whistleblowers are a thing of the past, nobody is going to out the shady dealings of a corporation if they’re going to get caught 😐

The Parliamentary investigation team said that less than 15% of abusive correspondence is done via social media, the majority was done by letter or phone calls/emails.

also heard a really valid point earlier, take away the ability to be anonymous online and whistleblowers are a thing of the past, nobody is going to out the shady dealings of a corporation if they’re going to get caught 😐
Interesting statistic.

Not sure about the whistleblowing point. I think companies/corporations/government departments tend to have whistleblowing policies and procedures (which safeguard anonymity) that don't necessitate the use of social media.

Much better idea. Would also stop vulnerable people who message these people genuinely waiting for replies being able to contact people who don’t give a tit about them. Would also stop certain influencers being able to send messages to them self, screen shotting it and claiming they get sooo much abuse if that’s stopped. Loads of them do this for engagement and clout, it’s usually very obvious as they are typed very similar to how they type it and it’s word for word feedback from them scrolling on tattle
Blimey - do some really do that?

This is the full article they want a lot of stuff added to the bill I don’t know how SM platforms would enforce this most people like the the anonymity even if only to browse the lost revenue would be too much the big guns would fight it all the way

Interesting statistic.

Not sure about the whistleblowing point. I think companies/corporations/government departments tend to have whistleblowing policies and procedures (which safeguard anonymity) that don't necessitate the use of social media.

Blimey - do some really do that?
I think you’re right about the whistleblowers I was reading in the local press earlier about a woman wanting to fight the BBCs policy on that she can’t disclose any details of bullying she suffered.

Not sure about the whistleblowing point.
I assumed they meant lower paid workers in corporations or big business who might use social media to make people aware of what’s going on behind the scenes.

another issue is the media in general, if they think they don’t fan the “hatred” flames they’re in denial.
Most of the “hate” towards politicians in particular begins in the media, they conduct the interviews and make the headlines, they choose how to present the information to the public, they turn on celebrities or politicians at the same time if not before the public does. So they fan the flames they’re now looking at in horror, like they have nothing to do with the match that was thrown towards it.

Didn't Katie Price want similar laws? Due to the abuse her and Harvey get, she wanted an end to anonymous acvounts?

A lot of MPs rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of extending the Online Safety Bill under the guise of safety. David’s law?! Online threats had absolutely nothing to do with what happened.

They are a bunch of opportunistic, self-serving ghouls. Legitimate death threats can already be dealt with. Anyone happy to go along with handing over highly sensitive personal data to access social media is a short-sighted dolt. “If you’ve got nothing to hide” 😑

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.