UK Politics

Should this be just English politics or focus on the U.K. as a whole?

• Just English politics

Votes: 35 20.0%
  • U.K. as a whole

Votes: 140 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello, this is a thread to discuss everything about English/General U.K. Politics.

I know there are threads for the devolved nations but I haven’t found one for England on its own. I also added U.K. because I know there is a cross over and as this is the first thread I’m not sure if people would want it to be more open and cover the whole of the U.K. or just to focus on England.

I’ve added a poll so people can give their views and if this gets a second thread we can had a title that reflects what people want!

Reactions: 4
I'd say UK as a whole, England doesn't have its own parliament/assembly/government so it's pretty hard to seperate it all. It really should do though - somewhere in the center of the country like Sheffield. Get an elected second chamber too.

Eventually won't devolution lead to total seperation for the Nations? Seems like it is just a matter of time, even if that's several generations away.

Reactions: 7
I'd say UK as a whole, England doesn't have its own parliament/assembly/government so it's pretty hard to seperate it all. It really should do though - somewhere in the center of the country like Sheffield. Get an elected second chamber too.

Eventually won't devolution lead to total seperation for the Nations? Seems like it is just a matter of time, even if that's several generations away.
I also think that England should have its own parliament/assembly/government too! I remember saying this on a Facebook group and I got flaaaamed for it, I didn’t realise it was such a controversial opinion!
I can see Scotland potentially getting its independence but I also think that if Nicola Sturgeon doesn’t manage it the second time around it will be put on the back burner for a bit? I don’t know, that’s my uneducated view on it. As for Northern Ireland I feel like separation there would be very tricky and dangerous, Brexit caused so many problems but complete separation would bring a lot of violence. As for Wales, I haven’t heard much of them in regards to independence. Maybe some welsh posters will talk about it but is it as big an issue for them as it is in say Scotland?

Reactions: 2
I got flaaaamed for it, I didn’t realise it was such a controversial opinion!
I think an English government would signal the end of the union, so some don't like the idea. But the current situation does seem pretty unfair, and I don't buy the line that the UK government is the english government that always gets it's own way.

I'm not sure the calls for MPs to end face to face meetings with the public is that helpful. What are they supposed to do instead? zooms? Quite a lot of the terrible MPs are ones that do distance themselves from the public and that's hardly serving the public

As for Northern Ireland
I might be totally wrong, but outside of NI I don't think there's many people that care one jot about it. Funny how it was hardly mentioned in the brexit debates. Yet now both the EU and UK gov are using it to point score. That U turn after invoking an article that they then said they didn't understand 🤦‍♀️

Northern Ireland is a weird one alright. This was always going to be an issue but it was completely overlooked as NI often is. I’m in the republic and spend a lot of time in NI and it’s an odd place, not quite Irish but not fully British either. Different laws and even a different currency that can only be used in NI. I have no idea what the answer is but it will be a tragedy if violence returns. Although most of us down here feel it’s inevitable at this point.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Being a mod on tattle I'm not sure if it's made me want to visit NI more or never go there. So often the weirdest threads are NI based. I mean I know it's tattle and all that, but there's a disproportionate amount of odd threads from people based there. Of course just a small sample and it could be tattle attracting all the weirdness :LOL:. The messy end of Game of thrones put me off visiting also, I wonder if taxpayers investment in that really did help tourism?

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Being a mod on tattle I'm not sure if it's made me want to visit NI more or never go there. So often the weirdest threads are NI based. I mean I know it's tattle and all that, but there's a disproportionate amount of odd threads from people based there. Of course just a small sample and it could be tattle attracting all the weirdness :LOL:. The messy end of Game of thrones put me off visiting also, I wonder if taxpayers investment in that really did help tourism?
The people are a bit nuts but in a good way. I suppose years of violence has left a collective trauma on the population. Peace feels very fragile too so it can’t be taken for granted. It’s very jingoistic in its love for either the UK or Ireland depending on your views. Flags everywhere, murals, the whole shebang. I couldn’t live there. I’m not religious and religion is still very influential there. But I do love to visit and the people are really friendly. The scenery is incredible too.

Reactions: 4
I think an English government would signal the end of the union, so some don't like the idea.
This was by pro independence SNP voters. Apparently England already has a parliament in Westminster etc but I think a lot of it was anti English bias. But it’s nice to see other people think that England should have a parliament but I hadn’t thought that by getting one it might signal the end of the Union, that could be a massive issue for some people.

I feel so sorry for the politician which died yesterday, such a brutal attack. Some people have been so cold on social media, I don’t get the need to say things like ‘well I won’t mourn for him’ or ‘he was anti LGBT so it’s not great loss’. Where is their humanity?! I don’t agree with his policies but a man who was democratically elected and served his constituents well has been brutally murdered. You don’t need to share how little you valued his life because he was the ‘wrong’ party.

(Also, thank you to the Mod who changed the title to reflect what the people wanted. We are very democratic here on Tattle!!)

Reactions: 11
I feel so sorry for the politician which died yesterday, such a brutal attack. Some people have been so cold on social media, I don’t get the need to say things like ‘well I won’t mourn for him’ or ‘he was anti LGBT so it’s not great loss’. Where is their humanity?! I don’t agree with his policies but a man who was democratically elected and served his constituents well has been brutally murdered. You don’t need to share how little you valued his life because he was the ‘wrong’ party.
Agreed, I find it so sad that people have to prefix their tributes with "Not a fan of his politics but.../Not a Tory voter but...". Who cares which way you vote? Not to mention those dragging his voting record up, or the fact he was a Brexiteer. Like any of those things mitigate what happened to him. He died brutally, doing a job that he clearly loved. He wasn't a man with cabinet aspirations, he was very happy simply serving his community, and by all accounts he was doing an excellent job of that.

Reactions: 11
I do wish this rhetoric of politicians all being self serving untrustworthy slimey cunts would end. For most of them they could earn a hell of a lot more with other jobs. I truly do believe they mostly go into the job with good ambitions to serve the people and make the world a better place. But so often once you're in the system you then start to understand why it's so fucked up and difficult to change.

The people are a bit nuts but in a good way. I suppose years of violence has left a collective trauma on the population. Peace feels very fragile too so it can’t be taken for granted. It’s very jingoistic in its love for either the UK or Ireland depending on your views. Flags everywhere, murals, the whole shebang. I couldn’t live there. I’m not religious and religion is still very influential there. But I do love to visit and the people are really friendly. The scenery is incredible too.
I take it back, I do want to visit NI.

At the risk of sounding silly (although I'm a firm believer that there's no such thing as a stupid question) are the diversive things that caused the troubles being passed on to other generations or is it slowly dying out?

I read recently that more than 17,063 migrants have crossed the channel this year, does anyone know what Priti Patel is doing about it? I know she made a big song and dance about curbing this but nothing seems to have happened?

I read recently that more than 17,063 migrants have crossed the channel this year, does anyone know what Priti Patel is doing about it? I know she made a big song and dance about curbing this but nothing seems to have happened?
In a nutshell. She's paid France to stop migrants coming over, but France seem to have taken the money and run - they're not stopping anyone leaving France.

To be fare, I feel so so sorry for those people who have fled their own country out of fear, and with only the clothes they are wearing. I don't mind anyone coming to live here in the UK, but I do mind if they abuse the system. We have a procedure they should follow to be granted a visa, not just turn up on a boat unannounced.

I also feel that once they are here to stay they should work for a living. There's no excuse with over a million vacancies. It gets me really angry to hear that they are given benefits and found places to live, when there are our own people struggling so much.

Reactions: 3
I think I read that the promised money is still to be paid to France, but there were assurances made that it would be sent soon. Seems part of the on-going sabre-rattling between the UK and France.

I think I read that the promised money is still to be paid to France, but there were assurances made that it would be sent soon. Seems part of the on-going sabre-rattling between the UK and France.
I think we've already sent some money, but they now want more and that's the payment we've not yet sent. It's ludicrous.

• Wow
Regarding the above posts.

Why are we sending France money in the first place?

The reason there are so many migrants congregated in Calais is due to lax border controls in southern France - whereby they can easily walk into the country. Therefore it is a problem of their own making.

I'm also for helping genuine people, however there are limits as to how many can be helped before an impact is seen in the country.

The UK does not have the infrastructure, or resources to deal with the entire worlds hard luck cases. Many do not want to pay extra tax in order to do so.

I'm also not convinced that many coming here via illegal methods are genuine. If they can afford to pay a people trafficker thousands of pounds just to get to a specific country, then in my mind they are not genuine - and should be returned.

Reactions: 5
Regarding the above posts.

Why are we sending France money in the first place?

The reason there are so many migrants congregated in Calais is due to lax border controls in southern France - whereby they can easily walk into the country. Therefore it is a problem of their own making.

I'm also for helping genuine people, however there are limits as to how many can be helped before an impact is seen in the country.

The UK does not have the infrastructure, or resources to deal with the entire worlds hard luck cases. Many do not want to pay extra tax in order to do so.

I'm also not convinced that many coming here via illegal methods are genuine. If they can afford to pay a people trafficker thousands of pounds just to get to a specific country, then in my mind they are not genuine - and should be returned.
We send money to police the border. There is a UK border force in Calais who stop people from getting into lorries etc, then they hand them over to French authorities. I assume cause it's a lot cheaper to stop people coming here from France than it is to send them back once they've arrived at Dover

It's just about the online harms bill

So it'll fine companies that don't act on hate speech. But it's been in progress for years. It needs to not affect free speech but protect people from harmful content online.

Wouldn't affect tattle as hateful stuff isn't allowed and memebers of the public are allowed opinions on those who broadcast their life publicly as a job but Facebook/twitter etc might need to up their content reviewers and policies as it's pretty shocking what they allow right now.
Thank God for that, there’s a lot of MPs throwing their weight against online abuse today they’ll jump on any bandwagon going maybe they’ll even name some kind of bill after David Amess this is the perfect time to push something through 🤨

His murder was horrific,

but I’m finding it hard to see how a man, previously flagged to police, who stabbed a politician multiple times, When they believe it has a potential link to Islamist extremism, has anything to do with online abuse….

security yes, i could even understand people questioning who they “let into the country”

but online abuse?! Seems to me like they’re using this to push an agenda they’ve been trying to push for a while now 😐

Reactions: 10
His murder was horrific,

but I’m finding it hard to see how a man, previously flagged to police, who stabbed a politician multiple times, When they believe it has a potential link to Islamist extremism, has anything to do with online abuse….

security yes, let could even understand people questioning who they “let into the country”

but online abuse?! Seems to me like they’re using this to push an agenda they’ve been trying to push for a while now 😐
That’s exactly what I think too, everyone is jumping on it even politicians here , Arlene will have a field day this is what she’s been fighting for.

It's pretty disgusting how they're using this tragedy for their own agenda.

I don't know much about terrorist radicalisation, but I'm sure it happens on dark web / encrypted type stuff that's near impossible to shut down.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.