Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Blueblue123

VIP Member
Not particularly in this area.
Corbyn is my MP. I think people may be wildly underestimating how popular he is here. He’s actually a pretty good MP - he’s extremely accessible, knows absolutely everything about the area and the people in it and as MPs go, works extremely hard.
I honestly think Labour will have a job on their hands to beat him.

The main thing I can think of putting him at risk is people voting Labour by default or to make sure they have a better majority.

Otherwise Corbyn seems to be well liked and very engaged with the community. I also imagine the people who support him would be the same ones generally unimpressed with Starmer's Labour.

Reactions: 9

Ndrangheta

VIP Member
Exactly! She should be allowed to stand! It would be undemocratic to ban her if they’ve found nothing wrong during their investigation and reinstatement.

I don't really know what the Labour Party stands for really. It's like Tony Blair's Labour minus the charisma. I'm finding it difficult to explain myself because I didn't vote for Blair, but his early years as Prime Minister were some of the best for me. Maybe it's just my age. But under the early years of Blair there was positivity in the air.

I look at Britain today and I just see resignation. We're all just plod-on, watching The One Show. the rich get richer etc. COVID didn't help of course.

Starmer doesn't fill me with much hope, Sunak even less. I do believe both men are decent compared to someone like Boris Johnson but neither exactly light a fire. Again, it might just be an age thing.

It would be good to hear the views of 16-25 year olds, see what they want.

Tell me, what are your TWO most IMPORTANT things in this election? For me it is: EDUCATION and HOUSING.

kev1974

VIP Member
I’m so confused who this national service proposal is even meant to be targeting

People who constantly think we’re on the brink of a war at the moment? So you’re just scaring them a bit further because this sounds like a policy you’d introduce with the idea of needing conscription in mind in the future
At least they won't need to issue weapons, plenty of the youth will be able to bring their own knives and machetes?

• Haha

Miss Begotten

VIP Member
Apparently there was a survey that 12.5% of Labour voters think the 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 flag is racist, which is why that's been mentioned.
But isn’t that mostly because the flag has been hijacked by racist knuckleheads, who fly it outside their houses and have it all over their social media feeds next to pictures of bulldogs and that Farage twat.

HelloStereo

VIP Member
I had volunteering experience in a shop and doing some admin stuff and a lot of the "normal" part-time jobs weren't interested in it because it's not that applicable to what you'll be doing day to day

We sell transferrable skills to young people but the reality is that a lot of employers automatically prefer people with practical experience within the field, so really the best thing to do is try and get summer jobs while young
Or do an apprenticeship. We've had a few at our company and they get hands on experience while being paid. I also worked with someone who completed a degree apprenticeship where his tuition was paid for and he got hands-on experience.

There are so many other avenues to explore rather than compulsory national service if the aim is to skill up young people.

I still think the main aim of the plan is to plug some labour gaps and mask it as "helping out in the community".

annanuttall

VIP Member
People on Twitter are saying Sunak was trying to save skin, as there was going to be a vote of no confidence.

Blueblue123

VIP Member
I would 100% back the national service plan IF i didnt have a 13 and 14 year old and there are wars cracking off fucking everywhere. I would not send my 18 year old off to the military and the 'one weekend a month volunteer idea would not work - itll be over subscribed everywhere!
I suppose you don't back it then. If you thought something was a good idea, you wouldn't mind it affecting you and yours too.

biscuitthief

Its a part of a lot of further education syllabus in other countries
My sixth form college back in the early 2000s offered Voluntary and Community Service as an alternative course to an AS level. Students would do an afternoon a week on a placement organised by the college and local providers. It was a popular option for those students who wanted a bit of additional work/life experience. I agree with including something like this on the curriculum as an optional course but I strongly disagree with making it mandatory for all 18 year olds.

Sunak is either trying to purposely lose the election or he is trying to attract back those on the far right who think the Tories have gone woke.

If you read this it very much sounds like their plan to fix some of the shortages in public service roles is national service

Dare I say it doesn’t sound completely horrible from that point of view but the fact that this may be their only idea to fix understaffing is concerning
For what this scheme would cost to implement, public services could hire back some of the experienced staff lost as a result of the cuts :rolleyes:

Bubbles Tizzy

QUOTE="Moth, post: 19403273, member: 212532"
But Conservatives are a bit better than Labour? Gosh. I wish people would just say that will ([probably continue to) vote Tory and not try to hide behind it being Labour's fault.
---

Or at least pretend to:

No I would like to know why Labour should get my vote - I have seen NO policies from them yet. Why the hell would I hide that I may vote Tories if they can persuade me to give them my vote Why should I vote labour when they have shown me nothing to entice me to vote for them. I do not vote on party lines I would like to see what the parties have to offer.

Moley1

Chatty Member
The country is in desperate need of change. We haven’t had a Labour government for 14 years and the previous one made a better job of running the country than the Tory Party have done since then. When Starmer becomes PM he will inherit a mess and I don’t envy his new government’s predicament. Whatever you think of the current opposition, they will have to go some to be worse than the present government. It will make a welcome change to be governed by people who put public service before self interest.

Ndrangheta

VIP Member
It will make a welcome change to be governed by people who put public service before self interest.
Give it 3 months and Momentum will show-up and Labour will be infighting like there's no tomorrow. I'm more Left than you, No, I'M more Left than You. I was on the Jarrow March, where were you? I was on Greenham Common, where were YOU? The Labour Party is a party of protest, it's not fit to govern. In fact, a section of The Left are philosophically opposed to ruling over the people, it runs counter to their principles. Another section of The Left, the Corbynista's, are pure apparatchik's. Once Labour get in it'll be an unholy mess. Personally I couldn't give a fuck who gets in because it will make very little difference to my life.

The problem for Labour with Corbyn and Abbot is, unlike a lot of their slimier career politicians who will wear any rosette that's a winner for a seat in the house, those two are actually fantastic local MPs by all accounts (regardless of their problematic views on different issues).

I fully expect them to absolutely batter any candidate Labour puts up against them at the polls, because they are extremely active in their communities. That will be very embarassing for Starmer though.

Moth

VIP Member
Maybe they should focus on benefit fraud? There’s lots claim for illnesses they don’t have or over exaggerate their disability , leaving genuine sufferers to face the wrath of the Tories.
How many is 'lots'? What proportion of all claims are for "illnesses they don't have or over exaggerate their disability"? Where do I find those numbers?

• Heart

Miss Begotten

VIP Member
What do people make of Sunak saying the world is on the precipice of something big / nuclear escalation? I think he’s right but don’t respect him using it as a tactic to scare people into voting Tory. If things are going to get bad then people will need support from a strong government not one that relies on cutting taxes and public services
He might be right, but the idea of Putin holding himself back from doing something appalling because a wet, useless berk like Sunak is Prime Minister is laughable. I find the idea of another 4 years of this government way more terrifying than Starmer.
I noticed during his speech he was still invoking “but Jeremy Corbyn”, which sounded like a desperate reach. He does know Corbyn has been expelled from the party?

Moth

VIP Member
Had they called this a different scheme I think it would have probably had a pretty positive reception tbh
Yeah they could have called it the National Citizens Service. Oh no, they can't because that was launched by David Cameron in 2011 and still exists. I wonder if Sunak knows?

• Haha

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
I'm going to be looking at any independent candidates very closely. I'm not voting Tory but who I do vote for is not a forgone conclusion. I will also be looking at tactical voting.

• Heart

HelloStereo

VIP Member
Seconded! Khan is far from perfect but I'd rather him than a mayor who makes a mockery of things by pretending to have been pickpocketed.

Doesn't help that Hall was in Facebook groups with suspected white supremacists either.

And Khan inherited the Ulez policy from Johnson, but it doesn't even affect most of us. Outsiders are more upset than we are.

There's this huge concern around London but almost no understanding of what Londoners actually want.
Yeah, like 95% of vehicles seen driven around both inner and outer London were ULEZ compliant, the whole issue was overblown by the right wing and Tories.

My local Facebook groups were full of gobby right wingers who hate cyclists and thought Khan was bringing about the "Islamification of London", whatever that meant. They came across as so thick and narrow minded, rejecting any research about pollution and the effects on health etc, calling anyone who disagreed with them "woke" or "brainwashed".

The rejection of Hall and her ilk suggests that the majority of Londoners are much more reasonable thankfully. I've kept quiet about it a lot on this thread but even if you go on Twitter or other social media, the most vocal Hall supporters spout racist and toxic nonsense all the time.

I'm so glad we never have to hear about her again.