UK Politics #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That theory has been alive for years and years and years

The theory you’re referencing is more in line with reports that Israel had been aware of Hamas’ plans
Is that not what Farage is referring to?

What that Netanyahu, a man whose whole political career has been based upon being the only man who could protect Israeli's against attacks from Hamas failed catastrophically to do that because a border post was left open on his watch? I don't think it's unreasonable or 'anti-semitic' to suggest he might have known about that for his own political ends, especially given that he was being investigated for massive fraud violations.

It's seems harder and harder to have a reasonable discussion about the Israel - Gaza issue without getting accused of being somehow Pro-Hamas or Anti-Semitic. It's so pathetic. And all the while people accuse and blame each other more innocent people continue to die (or remain held captive). :rolleyes:

Reactions: 8
Not from what I listened to - he was referencing Jews owning the banks and all the money. A very common conspiracy theory that has existed for years

Reactions: 1
Not from what I listened to - he was referencing Jews owning the banks and all the money. A very common conspiracy theory that has existed for years
I haven’t seen what the case will be based on I was assuming it’s the more recent situation that has everyone riled up.

Is that right what I just heard ... Chris Packham said it was OK for Just Stop Oil protestors to rock up at MP's homes? Or is this just more bollocks from Right-wing media outlets? I don't think Packham (and Thunberg for that matter) are bad people per se, but I can't help thinking they have an unhealthy almost obsessive fixation with climate-change that often does more harm than good for their cause. Only takes one nut to throw a petrol bomb through an MP's window. As I say ... I don't know for sure Packham has said what he is reported to have said such is my distrust of media reporting these days.

Is that right what I just heard ... Chris Packham said it was OK for Just Stop Oil protestors to rock up at MP's homes? Or is this just more bollocks from Right-wing media outlets? I don't think Packham (and Thunberg for that matter) are bad people per se, but I can't help thinking they have an unhealthy almost obsessive fixation with climate-change that often does more harm than good for their cause. Only takes one nut to throw a petrol bomb through an MP's window. As I say ... I don't know for sure Packham has said what he is reported to have said such is my distrust of media reporting these days.
This article contains quotes so is probably as good as you're going to get in the newspapers ... https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/chris-packham-just-stop-oil-protests-b2506688.html

I don't think it's possible to have an "unhealthy almost obsessive fixation with climate change". I think it is a huge threat. However I have long been of the opinion that a mixture of propaganda from self-interested parties and apathy in the general public means that nothing of any consequence is going to be done to tackle it and so getting yourself arrested and possibly imprisoned over it is a fools errand.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I'm hearing about it now. I still really like Chris as he genuinely cares about animals and has used his media status to help them. However I worry he's gone into the tipping point of loony now. A line has to be drawn and the harassment of MPs at home is where I draw the line.

Reactions: 4
Hang on, the same Chris Packham who complained about the harassment he and his family were getting after someone turned up at his home and attempted an arson attack? You'd think he'd know better.

Reactions: 6
the tipping point of loony now.
I'm always a bit worried when men of a certain age seem to still have the emotional intelligence of a teenager. I kinda give Greta a free pass because she is young and idealistic ... but as you grow older you realize that compromise and diplomacy are far better ways to achieve your aims.

Reactions: 3
Hang on, the same Chris Packham who complained about the harassment he and his family were getting after someone turned up at his home and attempted an arson attack? You'd think he'd know better.

It's ridiculous. Don't do it to me but do it to other people I don't agree with. I think Chris lost it a little while ago. He's not wrong but he's gone fanatical and that's never good.

Budget day. What do we want to see?

More people in work to help grow the economy.

Benefits given to those who rightly deserve them, and at the right amount.

Stop pandering to small boat arrivals. Loads of ideas, but they need to happen.

Too many civil servants working from home. Sort them out!

Too many in management rolls in the NHS. Thin it out and offer nurses more money to attract new trainees to join up.

Stop being a nanny state and get tough again.

• Heart
Reactions: 2

Too many in management rolls in the NHS. Thin it out and offer nurses more money to attract new trainees to join up.

The last full budget before an election, so they're going to have to deliver for their traditional voters. So I imagine a cut in stamp duty, maybe raising the threshold for inheritance tax and a cut in stamp duty.

I'd like to see something to address the housing shortage and sky-high cost of rental but none of the predictions I've seen so far are encouraging on that score.

The last full budget before an election, so they're going to have to deliver for their traditional voters. So I imagine a cut in stamp duty, maybe raising the threshold for inheritance tax and a cut in stamp duty.

I'd like to see something to address the housing shortage and sky-high cost of rental but none of the predictions I've seen so far are encouraging on that score.
The housing shortage is something I can't get my head around. How are they filling houses? Well, they fill new builds and beautiful houses, but there are so many empty, boarded up or old properties that have gone to seed. Likewise with flats.

Let me use Huddersfield as an example where they've totally upgraded some old flats. They look good and quickly filled - not sure whether they're rented or bought, but they've produced homes for loads of people. This should be happening all over the country.

Until a few years ago families would live together in one house, looking after Grandparents, etc. Now everyone wants their own place. Then we have all the foreigners coming over who need homes. It's a huge influx.

Then I look on Rightmove, which is only one avenue to find somewhere to live. There's literally thousands of properties both for sale and to rent. So where is the "crisis"? Am I on my own here?

I think a lot of these working age people not working due to mental health, ADHD, autism (those with anxiety) is due to their consuming 24/7 doom and gloom news.
They're worrying about overseas wars and seeing graphic images and being brainwashed by the eco nuts saying the world will be on fire. That kind of thing must really affect growing brains.
When I was a kid all there was was TV and newspaper, my family didn't listen to radio and when the news came on I went out to play as it was very boring to me. Though I seem to recall a couple of sensational headlines that worried me at the time. As an adult I've never sought out news but obviously you can't avoid it all the time.

That's some real vacuous stuff...are you Lee Anderson by any chance?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
I think a lot of these working age people not working due to mental health, ADHD, autism (those with anxiety) is due to their consuming 24/7 doom and gloom news.
They're worrying about overseas wars and seeing graphic images and being brainwashed by the eco nuts saying the world will be on fire. That kind of thing must really affect growing brains.
When I was a kid all there was was TV and newspaper, my family didn't listen to radio and when the news came on I went out to play as it was very boring to me. Though I seem to recall a couple of sensational headlines that worried me at the time. As an adult I've never sought out news but obviously you can't avoid it all the time.
It is absolutely everywhere and the media's need to constantly make headlines 24/7 is exhausting. I've tried to step back from it and make a point of just putting music stations on the radio and really limiting Twitter and who I follow.

I'm just at a loss as to why the war in Gaza is such a dominating thing here in the UK. You would think the UK is at war. Even if the UK called for ceasefire it would mean nothing to Isreal. What is happening in the rest of Europe? Are they have having demonstrations every week? There are Jewish and Muslim populations in Europe.

• Wow
The housing shortage is something I can't get my head around. How are they filling houses? Well, they fill new builds and beautiful houses, but there are so many empty, boarded up or old properties that have gone to seed. Likewise with flats.

Let me use Huddersfield as an example where they've totally upgraded some old flats. They look good and quickly filled - not sure whether they're rented or bought, but they've produced homes for loads of people. This should be happening all over the country.

Until a few years ago families would live together in one house, looking after Grandparents, etc. Now everyone wants their own place. Then we have all the foreigners coming over who need homes. It's a huge influx.

Then I look on Rightmove, which is only one avenue to find somewhere to live. There's literally thousands of properties both for sale and to rent. So where is the "crisis"? Am I on my own here?
From my understanding, or at least my part of the country (rural West Country) the housing crisis here is due to houses being unaffordable. Even tiny, pokey little cottages with no drive way or garage and a small courtyard garden can go for £350,000 +. If you are on minimum wage or zero hour contract there’s no way you can afford these properties. Especially as a lot have not been cared for or have been in the same family for 40+ years and need updating badly. Not just cosmetic but brand new kitchen and bathroom, maybe mould removal, new windows, etc. It all adds up. And with renting there is a massive wait list.
I see so many buildings that have been left abandoned and speaking to builder friends they have said that they would be fairly easy to do up and turn into flats etc. But it seems that local councils rather have new build estates. But no one I know, unless they are desperate, would move to a new build estate.

I live near London, and when a lot of flats, smaller houses (start homes for example) are built a lot are snapped up by people from London (people who receive bonuses like Bankers who then rent them out). Local people don't get a look in.

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.