UK Politics #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Surely people only look to what’s best for their own family and not those following behind 😂…I’ve never known someone give up their bed for someone else, that’s the stuff of fairytales .
I guess this is what should differentiate the Tories from Labour.

I guess this is what should differentiate the Tories from Labour.
They’re one in the same, sir Keir has nothing in common with the working class, he couldn’t bring himself to stand on a picket line 😂..I’m impressed that you’d give up your home to someone less fortunate though 👍🏻

Reactions: 4
They’re one in the same, sir Keir has nothing in common with the working class, he couldn’t bring himself to stand on a picket line 😂..I’m impressed that you’d give up your home to someone less fortunate though 👍🏻
Im pretty sure that is a dig but I don't own my own home and probably never will. I privately rent an ex council house.

At least he's said something about housing, which makes a change from the tory rhetoric of what bathroom trans people use.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
HS2 doesn’t personally affect me and to be honest I rather they improve the train system across the country as a whole than pouring billions into such a small area
i agree in general bc hs2 wouldn't reach me but i'm only 30/40 mins from manchester by train so would still benefit somewhat. but what i can basically guarantee is that they wouldn't pull 36bn from the london leg if they had started in the north

Reactions: 7
Im pretty sure that is a dig but I don't own my own home and probably never will. I privately rent an ex council house.

At least he's said something about housing, which makes a change from the tory rhetoric of what bathroom trans people use.
No dig at all, how would I know anyone’s personal circumstances? I just tell it as I see it…I don’t think any council tenant should be demonised for trying to better themselves and their family…Yeah let’s see what materialises..

Attachments

No dig at all, how would I know anyone’s personal circumstances? I just tell it as I see it…I don’t think any council tenant should be demonised for trying to better themselves and their family…Yeah let’s see what materialises..
You don't but the statement of giving up a home to someone less fortunate seems unnecessary. I didn't suggest council tenants give up their home nor private landlords. Only that the situation where private landlords can buy social housing should never exist in the first place.

Council tenants shouldn't be demonised but in hindsight with the effects the policy has had on social housing it wasn't a good idea.

I'm sure we'll see in the next few years what Labour does anyway. No way Tories are winning the next election.

Reactions: 5
i agree in general bc hs2 wouldn't reach me but i'm only 30/40 mins from manchester by train so would still benefit somewhat. but what i can basically guarantee is that they wouldn't pull 36bn from the london leg if they had started in the north
A lot of money still ends up going to London which I understand partly because it’s the most populous. But I find it frustrating because where I live in the West Country it feels like we hardly get anything. We are sorely in need of local transport, especially in rural areas, but we have nothing. So many train stations were removed in the 60s by Beeching. And as someone who can’t drive due to medical reasons it’s really difficult to get around unless I take a taxi. Plus the trains we do have are so outdated.
I don’t get why we struggle so much with having a functioning public transport system - other countries manage to do it well.

Reactions: 8
You don't but the statement of giving up a home to someone less fortunate seems unnecessary. I didn't suggest council tenants give up their home nor private landlords. Only that the situation where private landlords can buy social housing should never exist in the first place.

Council tenants shouldn't be demonised but in hindsight with the effects the policy has had on social housing it wasn't a good idea.

I'm sure we'll see in the next few years what Labour does anyway. No way Tories are winning the next election.
I’m the opposite ,I think allowing council tenants to buy has opened up opportunities where they never existed before, I don’t think labour will be any better at solving anything, they’re still tied to the same rules as conservatives…How many Labour PM’s followed Thatcher?

Reactions: 2
I’m the opposite ,I think allowing council tenants to buy has opened up opportunities where they never existed before, I don’t think labour will be any better at solving anything, they’re still tied to the same rules as conservatives…How many Labour PM’s followed Thatcher?
If you think private landlords buying up social housing from council tenants is fine I don't think there's much more to discuss. It does sort of negate your initial point about a lack of social housing though as we can see where it has all gone.

We've had two Labour PMs since Thatcher. And however many Conservative PMs (I can't remember, some were only in the position for a month or so).

Reactions: 5
If you think private landlords buying up social housing from council tenants is fine I don't think there's much more to discuss. It does sort of negate your initial point about a lack of social housing though as we can see where it has all gone.

We've had two Labour PMs since Thatcher. And however many Conservative PMs (I can't remember, some were only in the position for a month or so).
Ironically it points to you being in line with conservative values ,where only the rich deserve to prosper whilst the poor remain in the gutter 🙄…How many social houses did Tony and Gordon build?

Reactions: 2
Ironically it points to you being in line with conservative values ,where only the rich deserve to prosper whilst the poor remain in the gutter 🙄…How many social houses did Tony and Gordon build?
How so? I think there should be more social housing for people on low incomes and I am against wealthier private landlords exploiting ex local authority properties. I don't understand your thinking with that.

Labour built fewer council homes between 1997 - 2010 than Conservatives. But neither party have got remotely close to replacing the 2.5 million council houses sold off under the Conservatives. That had the biggest impact on the lack of affordable housing that neither party has been able to reconcile.

Reactions: 1
How so? I think there should be more social housing for people on low incomes and I am against wealthier private landlords exploiting ex local authority properties. I don't understand your thinking with that.

Labour built fewer council homes between 1997 - 2010 than Conservatives. But neither party have got remotely close to replacing the 2.5 million council houses sold off under the Conservatives. That had the biggest impact on the lack of affordable housing that neither party has been able to reconcile.
Maybe this statement points to the fact that social tenants shouldn’t be allowed an opportunity?? It’s not their fault that demand is outstripping supply…Surely that’s down to government bodies🤷🏼‍♀️ are we as homeowners responsible for our neighbours situation?

Attachments

Maybe this statement points to the fact that social tenants shouldn’t be allowed an opportunity?? It’s not their fault that demand is outstripping supply…Surely that’s down to government bodies🤷🏼‍♀️
The private landlords bought from council tenants which is what I said in what you quoted? And yes, it is down to government bodies. It was a bad Conservative policy.

Reactions: 3
The private landlords bought from council tenants which is what I said in what you quoted? And yes, it is down to government bodies. It was a bad Conservative policy.
I don’t understand where the tenants trying to better themselves come into it? Who wouldn’t turn down good money? We don’t owe people anything, everyone has to make their own way in life!

I definitely sit left of the spectrum but the current iteration of the Conservative Party is vastly different to the one my grandparents voted for.
Like they’ve damaged so much of the uk waterway ecosystems through essentially allowing water companies to discharge raw sewage into rivers and onto beaches.

they seem fine with that but if someone’s coming to this country to flee death that’s not ok? “Too many born to foreign mothers” says woman from a foreign mother. Half of the cabinet (current and previous) have been from immigrant parents.

the trans thing also gets my goat. People can’t get a bed on a ward in most hospitals but they’re focused on if a trans woman should be on a woman’s ward?

Reactions: 10
We don't owe anybody anything except we owe council tenants the opportunity to buy their council house at a knock down price not available to other people who haven't been lucky enough to get a council house and thus reducing their chances of getting one in the future.

Selling off council houses wasn't anything to do with giving people an opportunity to be a homeowner, it was to reduce the state's responsibility for housing. Same as selling off council houses to housing associations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
Housing/property is seen as an asset and means to wealth in this country before it's considered a form of shelter which is a big part of the issue.

That's why there have been more policies to inflate house prices than ones which provide more housing and affordable options because that would risk "devaluing" the market.

Reactions: 9
Housing/property is seen as an asset and means to wealth in this country before it's considered a form of shelter which is a big part of the issue.

That's why there have been more policies to inflate house prices than ones which provide more housing and affordable options because that would risk "devaluing" the market.
Also because older generations are more likely to own their own home than younger generations and will vote for the party who isn't going to enact policies which devalue their asset.

Reactions: 8
We don't owe anybody anything except we owe council tenants the opportunity to buy their council house at a knock down price not available to other people who haven't been lucky enough to get a council house and thus reducing their chances of getting one in the future.

Selling off council houses wasn't anything to do with giving people an opportunity to be a homeowner, it was to reduce the state's responsibility for housing. Same as selling off council houses to housing associations.
Nobody said it was? I said it’s great that the option exists. Some council tenants never choose to buy but remain there for 80+ years, then it might pass to their children if they’re resident with them, those properties are still out of circulation longterm , unless there’s some kind of tenancy time limit that I’ve never heard of??

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.