UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You continually use this tactic on the 'asylum seeker' thread. Don't bring it here. Nobody mentioned racism but you.

Just a rough figure based on recent voting intentions polls. I'm not precious about the actual percentage.
You continue to be racist then gaslight others!

Reactions: 1
So Braverman steps beyond the asylum seeker issue to criticise general immigration and multiculturalism. Invokes patriotism and has the absolute gall to use David Cameron's phrase about 'all being in it together' to suggest that immigrants are not really part of this country. She rejects as "offensive" the suggestion that because she is the daughter of immigrants and comes from a multicultural background herself that it is hypocritical to be against these things.

She rejects the suggestion that we need to belong to the ECHR to protect our human rights while at the same time the government has been busy curtailing our right to protest, to vote, to strike and limit our right to judicial review. Who know where they will go next.

If this isn't outright fascism it is as 'fascist adjacent' as we have ever seen in this country. And what is genuinely frightening is that it appears to attract support from at least 25% of the country. Sickening and scary.
Braverman makes my skin crawl, I find her pathetic beyond words. I wonder when she's done spit-shining white brit's shoes, does she ever see herself in the reflection and feel as sick as she makes me?

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Braverman makes my skin crawl, I find her pathetic beyond words. I wonder when she's done spit-shining white brit's shoes, does she ever see herself in the reflection and feel as sick as she makes me?
No chance. She’s like Patel - completely frigging deranged.

Reactions: 5
So you do agree that she’s not being hypocritical for voicing an opinion ?
Hypocrisy is the least of her faults although one might think that a woman who has (somehow) risen to one of the top jobs in the UK with migrant parents from Kenya and Mauritius with Goan ancestry, one a Hindu and the other a Christian and herself a Bhuddist married to a Jew might have a more nuanced view about multiculturalism and integration. She is of course free to express any view she wants even if it makes her appear stupid, self-serving, opportunistic and yes, hypocritical.

Reactions: 7
I don't understand why the topic of immigration or asylum seekers needs to be had at the expense of people not from here anyway.

It's completely possible and valid to have a non hateful discussion on why immigration may need to be capped or the asylum system needs to be reformed without being negative about people from those groups.

It's also contradictory to claim people don't integrate only to constantly push this us v them rhetoric. You can't encourage people to see each other as enemies then wonder why they aren't living in a harmonious way.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Hypocrisy is the least of her faults although one might think that a woman who has (somehow) risen to one of the top jobs in the UK with migrant parents from Kenya and Mauritius with Goan ancestry, one a Hindu and the other a Christian and herself a Bhuddist married to a Jew might have a more nuanced view about multiculturalism and integration. She is of course free to express any view she wants even if it makes her appear stupid, self-serving, opportunistic and yes, hypocritical.
I see that as hypocritical ! Braverman aside ,I don’t think people should be tied to their cultural backgrounds , I saw a businessman of Pakistani decent not happy about asylum hotels impacting his business, why should he just put up and shut up 🤷🏼‍♀️ it’s something he’s built from scratch, his children’s future.

The hypocrisy comes from Suella acting as if everyone who isn't her or her family is a problem to society.

It doesn't make sense to make a blanket statement that multiculturalism has "failed" while she stands there as an example of how "successful" it can be.

She's not a unicorn. She's not special. There are many others like her. She's a living contradiction to the very thing she claims.

She can 100% discuss reforming immigration without pretending that immigration and multiculturalism has caused nothing but problems for this country.

It's no different to a woman putting down feminism while benefitting from all the rights its afforded her.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
The hypocrisy comes from Suella acting as if everyone who isn't her or her family is a problem to society.

It doesn't make sense to make a blanket statement that multiculturalism has "failed" while she stands there as an example of how "successful" it can be.

She's not a unicorn. She's not special. There are many others like her. She's a living contradiction to the very thing she claims.

She can 100% discuss reforming immigration without pretending that immigration and multiculturalism has caused nothing but problems for this country.

It's no different to a woman putting down feminism while benefitting from all the rights its afforded her.
That wasn’t the point I was making .I find it’s hypocritical to scream equality then oppress those that choose to speak out by reminding them of where they come from.

That wasn’t the point I was making .I find it’s hypocritical to scream equality then oppress those that choose to speak out by reminding them of where they come from.
That's why people see Suella as a hypocrite. Because the things she says doesn't match up to the reality of who she is. If multiculturalism is a failure, then she must also be a failure because she definitely isn't exceptional.

It's not oppressive to point out the contradiction in what she says.

Also the Tories are quick to promote diversity when it suits them.

They're talking out of two sides of their mouth if they say multiculturalism has failed then turn around and brag about how diverse their party is.

Reactions: 6
That's why people see Suella as a hypocrite. Because the things she says doesn't match up to the reality of who she is. If multiculturalism is a failure, then she must also be a failure because she definitely isn't exceptional.

It's not oppressive to point out the contradiction in what she says.

Also the Tories are quick to promote diversity when it suits them.

They're talking out of two sides of their mouth if they say multiculturalism has failed then turn around and brag about how diverse their party is.
So only white Tories should give these statements? Is that what you’re saying?

well if the party as a whole benefits from a diverse cabinet, why would they also hold the view that multiculturalism is a failure?

Last edited:
So only white Tories should give these statements? Is that what you’re saying?
Nope. I'm saying it makes no sense for a nation that prides itself on being inclusive and diverse to say that multiculturalism is a failure and anyone would call out any MP who claimed such. Especially when there are multiple examples which prove the opposite. Nuance is needed!

Reactions: 6
Nope. I'm saying it makes no sense for a nation that prides itself on being inclusive and diverse to say that multiculturalism is a failure and anyone would call out any MP who claimed such. Especially when there are multiple examples which prove the opposite. Nuance is needed!
But why point out her background ! It undermines ( not enforces) diversity imo.

People have such a blind spot when it comes to race. It's peculiar.

If a working class MP was to talk about limiting support for working class people, they would be rightfully called out. No one would call them classist for pointing out their background.

If a female MP backs policies that reduce rights for women, they're rightfully called out. No one would call them sexist for pointing that out.

Happens all the time but never seems to generate this much discussion!

Last edited:
But why point out her background ! It undermines ( not enforces) diversity imo.
It’s not undermining diversity, it’s merely pointing out that it’s a really weird standpoint to have as a successful example of assimilation.
Nobody is saying she can’t say this stuff, we’re pointing out that what she is saying doesn’t exactly have credence because she herself, alongside many people in her party, is an example of immigrants assimilating in this country. If multiculturalism had in fact failed, no ethnic people would be thriving.

Reactions: 7
The statements made by Braverman would be loathsome whoever made them. The apparent hypocrisy of her attack on multiculturalism compared with her personal background is unimportant compared to the rank hypocrisy of her comments about the ECHR compared with the government's record of curtailing the rights of its own citizens or of her daring to suggest that immigration is the reason that the British public don't feel that "we are all in this together".

You clearly thought it was important when you pointed it out…Why did Theresa May want to leave the ECHR ?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.