UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Jesus Christ.

They could have given it to someone like Tom Tugendhat. At least he'd know what other armed services personnel are talking about.
I know someone who would have been perfect; a former serviceman with a distinguished record, a veteran of the frontline, a pilot, a family man, an author, a generous philanthropist .... he's not an MP but I'm sure something could have been worked out:

Image1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I know someone who would have been perfect; a former serviceman with a distinguished record, a veteran of the frontline, a pilot, a family man, an author, a generous philanthropist .... he's not an MP but I'm sure something could have been worked out:

Do you know what, it’s an extraordinarily low bar, but I honestly think your suggestion isn’t anywhere near as ridiculous as Grant Shapps.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Liz Kendall promoted into the Shadow Cabinet. I can't stand the woman. Lisa Nandy has been demoted ... I really liked her. Just venting ... as you were.

Reactions: 1
Full List here:

Deputy leader Angela Rayner — shadow deputy prime minister and shadow levelling-up secretary

Rachel Reeves — shadow chancellor

David Lammy — shadow foreign secretary

John Healey — shadow defence secretary

Bridget Phillipson — shadow education secretary

Yvette Cooper — shadow home secretary

Wes Streeting — shadow health secretary

Ed Miliband — shadow energy security

Pat McFadden — shadow chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and national campaign co-ordinator

Nick Thomas-Symonds — shadow minister without portfolio in the Cabinet Office

Jonathan Ashworth — shadow paymaster general in the Cabinet Office

Shabana Mahmood — shadow justice secretary

Jonathan Reynolds — shadow business and trade secretary

Liz Kendall — shadow work and pensions secretary

Louise Haigh — shadow transport secretary

Thangam Debbonaire — shadow culture, media and sport secretary

Anneliese Dodds — shadow minister for women and equalities and chair of the Labour Party

Steve Reed — shadow environment secretary

Peter Kyle — shadow science, innovation and technology secretary

Hilary Benn — shadow Northern Ireland secretary

Ian Murray — shadow Scotland secretary

Jo Stevens — shadow Wales secretary

Emily Thornberry — shadow attorney general

Lisa Nandy — shadow cabinet minister for international development

Darren Jones — shadow chief secretary to the Treasury

Ellie Reeves — deputy national campaign co-ordinator

Lucy Powell — shadow leader of the House of Commons

Alan Campbell — Opposition chief whip in the Commons

Baroness Smith of Basildon — shadow leader of the House of Lords

Baron Kennedy of Southwark — Opposition chief whip in the Lords
---
I don't mind Cooper, Streeting, Benn or Thornberry.

Could do without Lammy in FO. I think he could be better used elsewhere.

Reactions: 2
I laugh about how the tories are scraping the bottom of the barrel with their cabinet appointments then I read that list of entirely uninspiring dross. I suppose they are just going for 'quietly competent'.

Reactions: 1
Geezus, I love how the meeja are all clutching their pearls because a female MP said 'bleeping' in a off-the-cuff remark. Grow-up.

Reactions: 2
Geezus, I love how the meeja are all clutching their pearls because a female MP said 'bleeping' in a off-the-cuff remark. Grow-up.
So Boris Johnson shagging anything with a pulse and getting sucked off in his office is OK because he’s a bit of a lad, but a woman used a bad word? 🙄
---
I laugh about how the tories are scraping the bottom of the barrel with their cabinet appointments then I read that list of entirely uninspiring dross. I suppose they are just going for 'quietly competent'.
I’ll take quietly competent over deranged, incompetent, money grabbing cockwombles any day.

Reactions: 6
She's not wrong tbf.

It's needed dealing with since the 90's (I think). How many governments and education secretary's has there been during that time? Bloody disgrace.
---
I’ll take quietly competent over deranged, incompetent, money grabbing cockwombles any day.
So will I!!

The swearing may have caught the attention but it's the suggestion that she has been doing 'a good job' while 'others sat on their arses' that is the meat of the story. Of course the 'others' to which she is referring is anyone other than the government for the last 13 years. Meanwhile Sunak is claiming to have never met the Chancellor who cut the DFE's bid to fund rebuilding of 200 schools per year down to 50.

Anyone of a certain age won't be surprised by this story. My kids were at school during the previous Tory administration when again schools were allowed to become dilapidated.
---
How many Education secretary's have said the same thing over the years? Leave it for the next one.
To be honest I don't think the fundamental issue is Education Secretaries. They don't control the budget they are given. Of course if they want to keep their job (which after all is the main consideration) they'll go along with it whatever they really feel.

Reactions: 8
"Quietly competent" will do me fine, instead of the current wankers.

Reactions: 8
Assuming the 'reliable source' isn't just a figment of someone's imagination.
It might be but what isn't in doubt that in May 2023, a Labour motion to publish the building condition reports for every school in the country was defeated by 300 Tory MPs voting against it including one "Keegan, G". It's almost like they had something to hide.

Reactions: 10
The swearing may have caught the attention but it's the suggestion that she has been doing 'a good job' while 'others sat on their arses' that is the meat of the story. Of course the 'others' to which she is referring is anyone other than the government for the last 13 years. Meanwhile Sunak is claiming to have never met the Chancellor who cut the DFE's bid to fund rebuilding of 200 schools per year down to 50.

Anyone of a certain age won't be surprised by this story. My kids were at school during the previous Tory administration when again schools were allowed to become dilapidated.
---

To be honest I don't think the fundamental issue is Education Secretaries. They don't control the budget they are given. Of course if they want to keep their job (which after all is the main consideration) they'll go along with it whatever they really feel.
This. The swearing isn't the issue, it's the suggestion that she should be 'thanked' for a 'bleeping good job.' As both a teacher and a SEND parent she needs to duck off. Her government have destroyed education and they can all absolutely get to duck before I'll thank them for anything.
---
"Quietly competent" will do me fine, instead of the current wankers.
I'd be happy with just 'competent' at this point.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
The swearing may have caught the attention but it's the suggestion that she has been doing 'a good job' while 'others sat on their arses' that is the meat of the story. Of course the 'others' to which she is referring is anyone other than the government for the last 13 years. Meanwhile Sunak is claiming to have never met the Chancellor who cut the DFE's bid to fund rebuilding of 200 schools per year down to 50. ...
The school rebuilding programme was launched 2 years ago which even on the mystery Chancellor's budget should mean that we should be well on the way to 100 schools being refurbished. This afternoon it's revealed that the actual number completed is .... 4.

There's been about 6 Secretaries of State for Education in the last two years; Williamson, Zahawi, Donelan (for 2 days), Cleverley, Malthouse and now Keegan. Perhaps they haven't been doing such a great job after all.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.