UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My dad used to say that if they tied a blue ribbon on a pig round here it would get elected.
Our results have only just come in and the Lib Dem candidate has been elected. I'm shocked and heartened.
We may be from the same area

Reactions: 1
I've never known so much confessing for an election in my area. The Labour Party and Lib Dems obviously smelt blood.

Reactions: 2
I've never known so many election knocks on my door. I ignored them all. They even came round banging on election day. Probably to make sure we'd voted (for them).

We had one of them cars going round with a 📣 saying vote? mumble mumble constantly. By day 2 he sounded truly depressed.

• Haha
I was reading about the side hustles that MPs have which they make a lot of money from. Theresa May has made well over £2m and that's just from speeches. Can someone explain what MPs may be asked to speak about at these companies? I am trying to figure out what Boris would have to talk about tbh.

Reactions: 5
My council spent 0, that's inline with every other service; 'no expense spent' is their motto ... so well done. :rolleyes:
At least they're consistent! Mine didn't declare but I know there were some events so they spent something.

It's tasteless that some councils spent up to £180k on this, just a month after asking people to pay more council tax for the same or worse services than last year.

Never mind that we're in a cost of living crisis and councils are there to look after constituents.

Reactions: 3
It's tasteless that some councils spent up to £180k on this, just a month after asking people to pay more council tax for the same or worse services than last year.
I think our county council announced they were having a pay-rise freeze sometime back (after years of above inflation pay rises) ... it was as if we should all be out on our door step clapping or something. :rolleyes:

Rees-Mogg casually admitting that the voter ID policy was to suppress non-Tory support. Good it had little impact on the local elections.

Also, anyone who does support the Tories, judgement aside, do tactics like this fill you with confidence? The party who have been in power for 13 years have to resort to dirty tricks to boost their chances because they can't rely on their successes, because there are few to mention and the ones that can be mentioned are overshadowed by the tit state of the country now.

Reactions: 12
Rees-Mogg casually admitting that the voter ID policy was to suppress non-Tory support. Good it had little impact on the local elections.

Also, anyone who does support the Tories, judgement aside, do tactics like this fill you with confidence? The party who have been in power for 13 years have to resort to dirty tricks to boost their chances because they can't rely on their successes, because there are few to mention and the ones that can be mentioned are overshadowed by the tit state of the country now.
The Tories have largely been successful in achieving their Neo-liberal aims. Their problem is that they are finding it harder to convince enough people that those aims are in their interests. That is why the party is moving even more to the right. The current 'NatC' conference is an indication of where the party will go in search of votes. Voter suppression is only part of that strategy. I suspect that it will still appeal to a significant minority of voters.

Reactions: 3
The Tories have largely been successful in achieving their Neo-liberal aims. Their problem is that they are finding it harder to convince enough people that those aims are in their interests. That is why the party is moving even more to the right. The current 'NatC' conference is an indication of where the party will go in search of votes. Voter suppression is only part of that strategy. I suspect that it will still appeal to a significant minority of voters.
It's embarrassing. People are experiencing a rapid decline in living standards and all our ruling party can do is attempt to rig votes in their favour and speak at events where they're being trashed by speakers who downplay the holocaust and deny climate change.

Reactions: 4
NI have had voter ID for years it’s not watertight but hasn’t caused any problems, most people are on the electoral roll anyway and have some form of Id .

NI have had voter ID for years it’s not watertight but hasn’t caused any problems, most people are on the electoral roll anyway and have some form of Id .
Jacob Rees Mogg admitted they introduced it hoping it would work in the Tories favour. They clearly thought the impact would be significant enough to go through the trouble.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.