UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Work visas don’t give settled status. As I would understand, the phrase is primarily reserved for the EU settlement scheme
I don’t know ,but our local overseas nurse coordinator is Filipino she’s came on a work visa years ago and never returned .
---
He was born in Guinea

Attachments

I don’t know ,but our local overseas nurse coordinator is Filipino she’s came on a work visa years ago and never returned .
---
He was born in Guinea
You can get indefinite leave to remain:

I’ve seen the settled status referred to as that very occasionally but that was mainly before it got fully rolled out and came into effect
---
IMG_4171.jpeg

You can get indefinite leave to remain:

I’ve seen the settled status referred to as that very occasionally but that was mainly before it got fully rolled out and came into effect
---
View attachment 2245676
Yes ,apparently the home office review it at their leisure, his mum is a nurse from what I understand so would probably be granted settled status due to the shortage in healthcare, don’t know what his father does but one of his brothers is supposed to be at Oxford.
They could also have lived in an EU country before coming to the UK .

---
He was born in Guinea
And I was born in England. Still have dual citizenship though because one of my parents has EU citizenship.

If he's 31 and his parents only got European citizenship in 2006 he'd have been 14ish. But he's lived in the UK since he was 7? So presumably a least one of his parents have Portuguese citizenship. They could have this if they were born before 1974 (when G-B gained independence) but only under certain circumstances.

Indefinite leave to remain and settled status are two different things. If he has settled status he had EU citizenship. It's a very specific thing.

Reactions: 3
And I was born in England. Still have dual citizenship though because one of my parents has EU citizenship.

If he's 31 and his parents only got European citizenship in 2006 he'd have been 14ish. But he's lived in the UK since he was 7? So presumably a least one of his parents have Portuguese citizenship. They could have this if they were born before 1974 (when G-B gained independence) but only under certain circumstances.

Indefinite leave to remain and settled status are two different things. If he has settled status he had EU citizenship. It's a very specific thing.
If they lived in Portugal before Brexit took hold wouldn’t they be able to come to the UK that way ?
I have duel citizenship but don’t hold a British passport.I’m assuming he got settled status through his parents it’s unlikely they’d kick out their kids and let the parents stay.

Last edited:
If they lived in Portugal before Brexit took hold wouldn’t they be able to come to the UK that way ?
I have duel citizenship but don’t hold a British passport.I’m assuming he got settled status through his parents it’s unlikely they’d kick out their kids and let the parents stay.
From what I can gather most people in G-B lost their Portuguese citizenship after independence unless they were born in Portugal themselves or had been living in Portugal for at least 5 years. So either one of his parents was born in Portugal, or they had been living there from at least 1969. So either he was born to a Portuguese parent, or he was born in Portugal. Either way he's an EU citizen - not a West African migrant.

Doesn't change the awfulness of his alleged crime. But does change the attitude towards him as a person, apparently. Because obviously migrants who commit horrific murders of innocent people are worse than good ole European spree killers. Or something.

Reactions: 3
From what I can gather most people in G-B lost their Portuguese citizenship after independence unless they were born in Portugal themselves or had been living in Portugal for at least 5 years. So either one of his parents was born in Portugal, or they had been living there from at least 1969. So either he was born to a Portuguese parent, or he was born in Portugal. Either way he's an EU citizen - not a West African migrant.

Doesn't change the awfulness of his alleged crime. But does change the attitude towards him as a person, apparently. Because obviously migrants who commit horrific murders of innocent people are worse than good ole European spree killers. Or something.
IMG_5878.jpeg
IMG_5881.jpeg

looks like they were all West Africans,and only the father was granted Portuguese citizenship he must’ve been working in Madeira for at least 5yrs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
This almost forensic analysis into where the attacker comes from matters because...?

We can trace the origins of all criminals and there would be no common thread. That won't help us figure out why crimes happen or work towards reducing crime.

What's more important is their psychology, experiences and the environment in which they were raised.

Certain circumstances cause someone to become a criminal, not where was their mother born 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
This almost forensic analysis into where the attacker comes from matters because...?

We can trace the origins of all criminals and there would be no common thread. That won't help us figure out why crimes happen or work towards reducing crime.

What's more important is their psychology, experiences and the environment in which they were raised.

Certain circumstances cause someone to become a criminal, not where was their mother born 🤦‍♀️
It matters to people desperate to find some reason why the attacker should not have been in the UK. For some this would support their stance on asylum seekers or illegal immigrants and for others, general antagonism towards all immigrants (however much they might claim otherwise).

Reactions: 5
It matters to people desperate to find some reason why the attacker should not have been in the UK. For some this would support their stance on asylum seekers or illegal immigrants and for others, general antagonism towards all immigrants (however much they might claim otherwise).
And interestingly he's the first criminal I've heard of who's originally from Guinea Bissau and to my recollection there have been very few Portuguese criminals who make the UK headlines.

So him being Portuguese and/or from Guinea Bissau isn't an indicator of his criminality.

Sure, his background may be of interest but picking it apart probably won't lead us to why he did this or prevent something like this from happening again.

If we want to understand why he did this, we may find he has more in common with someone like Raoul Moat - who also killed multiple people in a series of attacks - than people from Portugal and Guinea Bissau.

Reactions: 5
And interestingly he's the first criminal I've heard of who's originally from Guinea Bissau and to my recollection there have been very few Portuguese criminals who make the UK headlines.

So him being Portuguese and/or from Guinea Bissau isn't an indicator of his criminality.

Sure, his background may be of interest but picking it apart probably won't lead us to why he did this or prevent something like this from happening again.

If we want to understand why he did this, we may find he has more in common with someone like Raoul Moat - who also killed multiple people in a series of attacks - than people from Portugal and Guinea Bissau.
Based solely on what has been reported in the media so far it seems likely that this awful incident is more an indictment of our mental health care system than immigration policy.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Based solely on what has been reported in the media so far it seems likely that this awful incident is more an indictment of our mental health care system than immigration policy.
Wow. I didn't know that and I mentioned Raoul Moat completely at random, and he had bi polar.

Of course, what these people did does not reflect the majority of those who struggle with their mental health but it seems like we should be calling on the government to strengthen its support and systems so that alarms can be raised sooner and anyone who seems to be a danger can be dealt with before they cause harm.

Events like this rarely happen out of the blue. There are always signs even if they're only realised in hindsight. But what we realise after crimes like this can be used to reduce the likelihood of them happening again.

Reactions: 2

It said he was raised in a churchgoing environment, came to the UK aged 16 so nothing to indicate criminality.
---
Maybe people worry why some are never deported despite committing heinous crimes or why background checks are impossible to make as no identity documents are produced as this recent arrest in an Irish hotel proves, living amongst vulnerable people and communities

Last edited:
... Maybe people worry why some are never deported despite committing heinous crimes or why background checks are impossible to make as no identity documents are produced ...
That might have been a reasonable explanation in this case if you had any evidence at all that the individual in question fell into this category. You tried hard to find it or at least you indulged in wild and ill-informed speculation about his immigration status and criminal history in order to link him to these issues. Without success.
---
I was only going on reports in the media that the attacker had experienced mental health problems in the past. That may of course be untrue which is why I was careful to make that qualification. What does appear clear is that the case provides no support whatsoever for those trying to link it to their stance on asylum claimants, illegal immigrants, deportation of criminals etc and only 'helps' those who oppose any sort of immigration at all.

Reactions: 4
That might have been a reasonable explanation in this case if you had any evidence at all that the individual in question fell into this category. You tried hard to find it or at least you indulged in wild and ill-informed speculation about his immigration status and criminal history in order to link him to these issues. Without success.
---

I was only going on reports in the media that the attacker had experienced mental health problems in the past. That may of course be untrue which is why I was careful to make that qualification. What does appear clear is that the case provides no support whatsoever for those trying to link it to their stance on asylum claimants, illegal immigrants, deportation of criminals etc and only 'helps' those who oppose any sort of immigration at all.
I’m not trying to link him to anything I was speculating like everyone else on here, same as you put it down to MH when he was remanded to prison and not a MH facility as is usually the case in diminished responsibility..It seems to be you that’s intent in linking my posts to this individual when I’m simply generalising .
---
Absolutely nothing... Except the fact he's said to be a drug dealer, which is a crime.
And an outstanding charge of attacking a police officer ( 2021) which’s he’ll stand trial for later this month I believe.

Last edited:
diminished responsibility
The conditions for this are usually very hard to meet when it comes to mental health - which people don't seem to fully understand. It doesn't change the fact that his poor mental health could have contributed to the situation occurring. If anything it sounds like he's been falling off the rails for a while now, you don't go from high achieving to this without a reason

I'd say that a lack of reporting on the terrorism aspect now would suggest that it's not judged to be a strong motive, but this could also be the media playing into common stereotypes. May be a different story if he was a muslim

I was speculating like everyone else on here
It's clear that your speculation was trying to suggest or find a way in which the suspect or his family would have been deemed to be illegal/undocumented/unknown even though it was confirmed very early on that he was here legally by The Telegraph. His immigration status has little to do with this, and really would have had little to do with this to begin with

The conditions for this are usually very hard to meet when it comes to mental health - which people don't seem to fully understand. It doesn't change the fact that his poor mental health could have contributed to the situation occurring. If anything it sounds like he's been falling off the rails for a while now, you don't go from high achieving to this without a reason

I'd say that a lack of reporting on the terrorism aspect now would suggest that it's not judged to be a strong motive, but this could also be the media playing into common stereotypes. May be a different story if he was a muslim

It's clear that your speculation was trying to suggest or find a way in which the suspect or his family would have been deemed to be illegal/undocumented/unknown even though it was confirmed very early on that he was here legally by The Telegraph. His immigration status has little to do with this, and really would have had little to do with this to begin with
That’s complete lies you know I had already said on another thread he was here legally! I was speculating on how he came legally like everyone else… I can go and find my posts if you like 😁…Just to clarify at no time did I say the killer was an illegal immigrant that some people on here seem to be falling over themselves to prove 👍🏻
IMG_5893.jpeg

Last edited:
How is this at all relevant to him committing a crime though?
I didn’t say it was relevant to him ? it seems you’ve been sucked into to the usual suspect trying to twist my posts .
---
There is no mention of MH if he’s fit to stand trial
IMG_5889.jpeg

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.