UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hmmm i think this Nottingham attack is different to the much more frequent stabbings we hear about in sink estates (your words). They were carried out by someone who seemed to be out to kill/injure as many people as he could and anti terror police were involved from the start. Whether it had been carried out on teenagers from an ethnic minority on a sink estate or aristocratic toffs in Mayfair, I think the outrage and sadness from the public would be exactly the same. But I do agree that we hear about stabbings/gangs/drugs and it doesnt have the same shocking effect on us that it used to have when it first started simply because it is so frequent and sadly a lot of people assume it's always rival gangs going after each other.

Edit: Thinking about this while making a cuppa, i think people assume that "other" stabbings/murders are by people known to each other (eg gangs) whereas murders like this as completely random which is much more frightening.
Well once you join a gang you know what you’re signing up for 👍🏻

Well once you join a gang you know what you’re signing up for 👍🏻
Not everyone from an ethnic minority who's stabbed is in a gang. Which is part of the problem in and of itself. @Ndrangheta simply asked if a similar crime against someone from an ethnic minority would get a similar reaction/coverage... no mention of gang activity, but somehow that's where the conversation has pivoted.

And it's also part of why such crimes get less attention, because of these assumptions.

I would like to see all crimes get equal coverage and public outrage, regardless of who the victim or attacker is.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Not everyone from an ethnic minority who's stabbed is in a gang. Which is part of the problem in and of itself. @Ndrangheta simply asked if a similar crime against someone from an ethnic minority would get a similar reaction/coverage... no mention of gang activity, but somehow that's where the conversation has pivoted.

And it's also part of why such crimes get less attention, because of these assumptions.

I would like to see all crimes get equal coverage and public outrage, regardless of who the victim or attacker is.
Who said they were? I don’t see the comparison in the Nottingham KiLLINGS to gangs in the slightest.
Isn’t the young girl from an ethnic minority background? Do you not think this crime is deserving of the coverage because a blackman carried it out??

Last edited:
Yes, stabbing someone is seen as proving yourself in many gangs, like an initiation.
Life is cheap with these scumbags.
At the risk of sounding like a bleeding heart, liberal leftie - isn’t that absolutely bloody tragic? That they have so little to aspire to, so little hope of doing anything with themselves that they think their own lives - and everyone around them, are that cheap?

• Sad
Reactions: 8
So you read me type this:

And still responded:

Interesting.
I don’t understand what point you were making to begin with? It wouldn’t be realistic to hold vigils for every murder victim regardless of race, you quoted me by implying I assumed racial minorities = gangs ,what is it you want me to say??

I recently read Old Rage by Sheila Hancock which I can highly recommend. 😁
She has seen a lot in her lifetime and makes herself quite ill with rage about what is going on in this country and the world.
Politicians seem to have their own agenda and don't listen to the public, but pay lip service as long as it suits them.
It is illuminating to see their response to wise counsel from the older generation who have seen it all before. You can see them mentally dismissing them in their heads.
I say dismiss them at your peril. That "old bag" is listening and watching when you drop your guard and show the real you.
I bet there are quite a lot of these people from the older generation on Tattle 😮😁

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Do you remember coverage from a few months back of that girl who was on the phone to her grandmother, who was randomly stabbed in Brixton? And the man went on to tab other people, but thankfully they survived?
If anyone on this threading reading doesn’t, this is the point people are trying to make.

Reactions: 2

Just looked this up, not sure I remember it actually. The Mirror doesnt show a picture of her or a name, but the Evening Standard names her and shows a picture. Desperately sad. It doesnt say the guy went on to stab other people.

Just looked this up, not sure I remember it actually. The Mirror doesnt show a picture of her or a name, but the Evening Standard names her and shows a picture. Desperately sad. It doesnt say the guy went on to stab other people.
It was on social media so the part about him harming other people may or may not be factually correct, but the fact that this got no coverage is exactly what people are getting at. Random attack, ‘good’ victim, just in a place where people expect it so little to no coverage.

Reactions: 2
IMG_5839.jpeg

---
It was on social media so the part about him harming other people may or may not be factually correct, but the fact that this got no coverage is exactly what people are getting at. Random attack, ‘good’ victim, just in a place where people expect it so little to no coverage.
Did you hear about the 21yr old was cut into tiny pieces in NI and put into dustbins? Her killer escaped from a secure mental facility numerous times, even used the ECHR as a loophole to freedom the day he killed her.

Realistically if we covered all the crimes that have ever happened we’d have very little time for other news. A lot of the incidents which are covered are often covered because they’re particularly shocking or unusual, but the narrative around the victims does show the wider social views

With Nottingham, I have personally seen the most about the white male student (I understand others may have different experiences with this) and the focus on their class/wealth seems significant to me too - if these were lower income/class people would we be hearing as much or would more of the focus be on the suspect?

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.