UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah, they're an ethnic minority and protected by all sorts of laws and rightfully so.

Reactions: 9
It’s indefensible. And I’m so annoyed because so many people target her for the wrong reasons but will now have a completely legitimate reason to do so now. She’s done so much good in Hackney. All of these people are awful.

Reactions: 8
It’s indefensible. And I’m so annoyed because so many people target her for the wrong reasons but will now have a completely legitimate reason to do so now. She’s done so much good in Hackney. All of these people are awful.
I'm disappointed too. This will probably tarnish her legacy whether she's sacked or not.

She's already the most trolled MP on social media, people will be having a field day.

I'm not really sure on the format of these letters or why she responded to this article in particular, but it seems the original article downplayed racism/prejudice against black people so her response was to deny that anyone except black people faced serious discrimination. It's odd!

I'm seeing commentary on twitter and people are graciously assuming she intended to discuss the different levels of discrimination as well as the difference between racism and prejudice.

Whatever her intention, what she said was wrong.

Reactions: 4
Abbott was born in Paddington in the 50s ffs, she has no excuse to pretend she doesn’t know about anti-Irish racism. To deny anti-Irish racism in England is a weird bleeping kind of colonialism itself that is either ignorant of or in denial of the shared and opposing history across the Irish Sea.

My family has Irish and Gaelic Scottish heritage on both sides, and though I’m not ginger I’ve got ginger family members who have had the tit kicked out of them, been attacked and beaten genuinely just for existing as gingers. I made the effort to learn about “gingerism” a few years back after another cousin got physically attacked for the colour of his hair by some nasty fuckers, and surprise surprise its roots are solidly in anti-Irish/Gaelic racism and discrimination. So I’m not exactly enjoying seeing English people on the hellsite minimising anti-ginger discrimination in the same breath as they’re acknowledging anti-Irish discrimination, the two things are indivisible in England unfortunately, and one is actually just a consequence/function of the other.
---
I'm not really sure on the format of these letters or why she responded to this article in particular, but it seems the original article downplayed racism/prejudice against black people so her response was to deny that anyone except black people faced serious discrimination. It's odd!
The article she criticised actually didn’t downplay it; it acknowledged that some people who aren’t black also face racism, and that racism is a more complex problem than it’s often made out to be. Author cites and discusses statistics, doesn’t just make assertions. It’s worth a read, some of it was surprising to me and his argumentation is thoughtful: https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ck-and-white-issue-it-is-far-more-complicated
Apparently he’s got a book coming out, and if it’s anything like that article I expect it’ll piss off a wide range of people who don’t want to have to think about complicated stuff.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I think people need educating on what prejudice, discrimination and racism is. Simply because we keep meeting it. I don't think Abbott meant to cause offence but she has.

Reactions: 6
I think people need educating on what prejudice, discrimination and racism is. Simply because we keep meeting it. I don't think Abbott meant to cause offence but she has.
Yeah agreed, I think it’s at least partly a result of the echo-chamberism and groupthink that’s all over the place in the last few years but probably especially in progressive politics. Abbott has been a good local MP (though I don’t know about in recent years) and although I don’t think she’s ever really been shadow cabinet or cabinet material, she shouldn’t have been allowed to put herself in this position. They’ve got advisors ffs, who tf advised her that doing this would be all fine and dandy? And why did nobody who might have said “erm, I can foresee some issues with this” get to look at it before it went out?

She’s all but fucked her career at this stage, and I’d still like to believe she’s more knowledgeable than that letter implies but deep down I sadly don’t actually think that any more.

Diane Abbot has previous for this though and has been accused of race baiting on more than one occasion. She has had to apologise before and again the old 'given out of context' excuse was given.

She is as prejudiced and racist as the people she claims to deplore.

• Sad
One problem The Labour Party face, like many Parties of The Left, is that a section of their members find ruling, ie: telling people what to do, fundamentally at odds with their core philosophy. Some Labour members prefer to be a party of protest and opposition. I think Corbyn and Abbott are slightly guilty of this phenomenon.

Reactions: 2
Maybe DA could blame this gaffe on her diabetes and impaired judgement?

Reactions: 1
It is very frustrating to read people claiming she has been the victim herself of the most appalling racism so she should know what it is.

It is exactly because she has been subjected to such vile racism she should be a more aware of the impact and hurt her words would have. It's not a competition as to who can suffer the worst racism.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I wish leaders would understand they aren't as important as they think. Most people don't give a tit about them, and they are also easily dispensable.

They are human beings just like the rest of us, except they decided to go into politics and happened to luck their way into running the country.

A bloke rang in to Sheila Fogarty's show yesterday afternoon to say that Diane's letter cant have been racist as being Jewish is a religion like Church of England, Catholic, etc and not a race. Never ceases to amaze me how people who know so little have the confidence to call in to a national radio station! Our She soon put him right :)

I do mandatory training in prejudice, bias, discrimination, etc because of my job but if I didnt work in a large organisation, Im not sure I'd know the difference to be fair.

• Wow
A bloke rang in to Sheila Fogarty's show yesterday afternoon to say that Diane's letter cant have been racist as being Jewish is a religion like Church of England, Catholic, etc and not a race. Never ceases to amaze me how people who know so little have the confidence to call in to a national radio station!
How is that incorrect when it's true that being Jewish is not determined by your ethnicity or race, but by your religion? There are black and Asian Jews, so what race would you be discriminating against by being anti-Semitic?

In the same way being a Christian or Catholic doesn't signify your race, nor does being Muslim.

That's why we have words like Islamaphobic and anti-Semitic because the word racism is inaccurate.

Racism is discriminating someone based on race, prejudice is having preconceived ideas about someone based on a characteristic like class, race or ethnic group (which aren't always the same, you can be ethnically Greek but you're still white), discrimination is treating someone differently based on race, gender, religion, class etc.

Last edited:
  • Sick
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.