UK Politics #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How disappointing

Sources told the Guardian that the home secretary has dropped a pledge to create the post of a migrants’ commissioner, who was due to be responsible for speaking up for migrants and for identifying systemic problems within the UK immigration system.

Another promise to increase the powers of the independent chief inspector of borders and immigration (ICIBI) has also been abandoned, as work on the post-Windrush reform programme is downgraded.

The recommendations were accepted three years ago by the government after a formal inquiry by Wendy Williams examined the scandal under which the Home Office erroneously classified legal residents, many of whom arrived from Caribbean countries as children in the 1950s and 60s, as immigrants living in the UK illegally.

The recommendations would have intensified independent scrutiny of Home Office policies on migration, days after Rishi Sunak staked his political future on plans to curb irregular migration to the UK.

Officials have also discarded a commitment to run a series of reconciliation events that were due to be attended by senior Home Office staff and ministers during which members of the Windrush generation would have been invited to “articulate the impact of the scandal on their lives”.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
At any other time in my life this would have been shocking. Nowadays not so much. Corrupt and facistic.

Reactions: 6

Thoughts?
Sickening. But I’m not surprised.

What do people think about this?

Honestly, I’m so conflicted. I hate the Tories, everything they stand for and everything they do. However, I think in this particular case they are doing absolutely the right thing if they attempt to stop this bill. Aaargh.

Reactions: 6
Sickening. But I’m not surprised.

What do people think about this?

Honestly, I’m so conflicted. I hate the Tories, everything they stand for and everything they do. However, I think in this particular case they are doing absolutely the right thing if they attempt to stop this bill. Aaargh.
I don't really understand the gender bill. Sorry to be ignorant.

I don't really understand the gender bill. Sorry to be ignorant.
No, don’t call yourself ignorant!
Basically the law would make it easier for people ( I’m guessing almost all of them MEN ) to legally change their gender. It would lower the age to 16 and you could make the change without needing a diagnosis from a doctor. So any Tom, Dick or Harry could use this new law to gain legal recognition of their chosen gender much more easily. It’s pretty much giving an open door policy for sickos and perverts to call themselves women and enter female safe spaces of all kinds with complete impunity.

Just to lighten the mood a bit

• Heart
Reactions: 4
No, don’t call yourself ignorant!
Basically the law would make it easier for people ( I’m guessing almost all of them MEN ) to legally change their gender. It would lower the age to 16 and you could make the change without needing a diagnosis from a doctor. So any Tom, Dick or Harry could use this new law to gain legal recognition of their chosen gender much more easily. It’s pretty much giving an open door policy for sickos and perverts to call themselves women and enter female safe spaces of all kinds with complete impunity.

Just to lighten the mood a bit
That explains it. There's some weird people about... Ruins it for the genuine ones who just want acceptance

Reactions: 2
To the tune of £3mill

If MPs are avoiding tax themselves why do we trust and believe them when they tell us millionaires and high earners pay their fair share? They all avoid it or find loopholes.

But it'll be your average worker who's squeezed while being told that each tax bill is essential. Meanwhile we're missing out on millions because of those who know how to work the system.

Reactions: 10
I bet the average person doesn't even earn £1m in their lifetime let alone pay it in tax. But the people who set our laws and their mates have no problem withholding millions per person while telling us we're the problem.

Reactions: 7
If MPs are avoiding tax themselves why do we trust and believe them when they tell us millionaires and high earners pay their fair share? They all avoid it or find loopholes.

But it'll be your average worker who's squeezed while being told that each tax bill is essential. Meanwhile we're missing out on millions because of those who know how to work the system.
It’s always the poor people’s fault, no prison sentence or news reports either 🙄

Reactions: 5
i personally have no issues with self id, it's been passed in other countries and successful. if men really wanted to hurt us they wouldn't need she/her pronouns to hide behind, they do it already and the majority get away with it when you look at conviction rates

i'm more concerned about westminster not respecting holyrood - why does their opinion on what happens in more or less a different country matter more? as much as i love scotland i've been pro independence for them since the first indyref vote tbh, would be bitter it wasn't happening for me but that doesn't mean they should suffer under a tory gov when they've consistently elected a nationalist party

• Heart
Reactions: 8
if men really wanted to hurt us they wouldn't need she/her pronouns to hide behind,
Well, exactly. And people screaming about Karen White (which was a prison service failing, above anything) won't change that.

And when you have gender critical people literally quoting Hitler in the streets it shows their true colours.

I have a few trans friends, and this whole thing has been very upsetting for them.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.