UK Politics #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m sure they’ll be delighted
https://news.sky.com/story/all-pupi...il-18-under-rishi-sunaks-new-mission-12779266All pupils in England to study maths until 18 under Rishi Sunak's 'new mission'View attachment 1852401
Or help children who may not enjoy maths, to enjoy maths. I was useless at maths in school. I think I had a learning difficultly when it came to it, but I never got help. I think making maths enjoyable and easy to learn is better than increasing the age of people studying it.

Reactions: 8
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
My daughter's currently doing her GCSEs, she's pretty good at maths, but doesn't enjoy it and wants to study art. Can't see the point of forcing her to do another 2 years of maths. 🤷‍♀️ Plus where will they suddenly find a load more maths teachers?

Reactions: 8
This Maths thing is stupid. I had to work three times as hard for my B in GCSE Maths as for my A* in English. If I'd had to study it to A-Level, at the expense of another subject, my A Level grades would have taken a massive hit.

Reactions: 6
I hated maths at school and couldn't wait to give it up. I managed to scrape a C at O level but only after having extra tuition.

My daughter lost me at about Year 5 ... I was no help to her at all!!

I've always thought maths was one of those subjects that you get or you don't.

Reactions: 7
And there we have it. ^^^^^ (Absolutely NOT having a go at anyone here btw )
Everyone discussing Sunak’s ludicrous new maths “policy” instead of the energy crisis, cost of living, NHS on the point of collapse, strikes, Covid and flu levels going through the roof. It makes rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic look positively reasonable.
So it’s worked then. 🙄

Reactions: 16
I’m 45, decided I’d have a look at the maths quiz underneath that article 😆 read the first question and thought NOPE 👎 lol I’ve managed to get through life without knowing what a cube number is!! Poor kids 😔
It’s completely different to how we would’ve learned .I’m lucky it’s my sons favourite subject as there’s no help from me 😂I’m learning along with him.

This Maths thing is stupid. I had to work three times as hard for my B in GCSE Maths as for my A* in English. If I'd had to study it to A-Level, at the expense of another subject, my A Level grades would have taken a massive hit.
The English now is really difficult at primary age, I can’t imagine what secondary will be like .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
And there we have it. ^^^^^ (Absolutely NOT having a go at anyone here btw )
Everyone discussing Sunak’s ludicrous new maths “policy” instead of the energy crisis, cost of living, NHS on the point of collapse, strikes, Covid and flu levels going through the roof. It makes rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic look positively reasonable.
So it’s worked then. 🙄
We can discuss it all. It's not either/or.

Reactions: 4
Or help children who may not enjoy maths, to enjoy maths. I was useless at maths in school. I think I had a learning difficultly when it came to it, but I never got help. I think making maths enjoyable and easy to learn is better than increasing the age of people studying it.
Teachers seem to have a hard enough job teaching kids of different academic levels in one class ,schools are limited in how many TA’s they can bring in,most employers are looking at experience over qualifications going by my sons recent experience.

Well the "maths thing" may be an intended distraction in the news, but hasn't made me forget that the tories are absolute cunts and root cause of 99% of the crap that's currently going on. In case that wasn't obvious. My moan above was more of a why are they wasting time on policies that nobody wants instead of ending the strikes and fixing the economy? I bet half the government can't do basic maths.

Reactions: 18
As seen on Twitter
“ Rishi Sunak announces he wants everyone to be better at Maths by the time they’re 18 so they can count how many hours their nana has to wait for an ambulance divided by how many NHS beds there are divided by how many fucks a Tory gives about it.”

“If I have 500 people a day dying outside 40 non-existent new hospitals, how many dead cats do I need to throw on the table to distract the media ? Please show your workings”

There is already a lack of qualified teachers and recruitment levels for many subjects have dropped through the floor. Who does Sunak expect to provide all of these extra lessons? Is he using his own brand of maths - where it was claimed they had built 40 new hospitals and recruited thousands more nurses and police officers when in fact the numbers had gone down?

Reactions: 12
As seen on Twitter
“ Rishi Sunak announces he wants everyone to be better at Maths by the time they’re 18 so they can count how many hours their nana has to wait for an ambulance divided by how many NHS beds there are divided by how many fucks a Tory gives about it.”

“If I have 500 people a day dying outside 40 non-existent new hospitals, how many dead cats do I need to throw on the table to distract the media ? Please show your workings”

There is already a lack of qualified teachers and recruitment levels for many subjects have dropped through the floor. Who does Sunak expect to provide all of these extra lessons? Is he using his own brand of maths - where it was claimed they had built 40 new hospitals and recruited thousands more nurses and police officers when in fact the numbers had gone down?
It’s a bit of a late fix what help can they offer ?I’m sure the private sector are making a fortune as is so won’t want any NHS patients, people will be left to die . It’ll only get worse now the schools are back can you imagine the queues in the coming weeks .I know locally there were over 400 people stuck in A&E’s yesterday with no sign of a bed .

• Sad
Reactions: 2
My brother is a maths teacher and hasn't worked in the UK for the last 2 years. No plans to return. Two of my friends that are teachers have quit in the last year with no job to go. It's bleak. They won't be able to provide enough maths teachers for everyone to do a level maths.

Reactions: 6
What about people who are already good at maths and don't need an extra two years?! I got an A* in maths and I work in a number heavy job now and extra two years of maths would have been of no benefit to me.

Surely the current model of those who need it being able to resit alongside college/A levels makes more sense

My brother is a maths teacher and hasn't worked in the UK for the last 2 years. No plans to return. Two of my friends that are teachers have quit in the last year with no job to go. It's bleak. They won't be able to provide enough maths teachers for everyone to do a level maths.
They don’t have enough teachers NOW let alone to cover extra lessons.
Surely it would make more sense to look at the maths curriculum up to 16 and make changes that would be actually beneficial. How many people need to learn trigonometry or logarithms? Surely “practical/functional” maths would be better - how credit works, how to manage personal finances, budgeting, tax etc.

There’s no possible way they can teach post-GCSE Maths to all students.

I’m guessing it will actually be something like “General or Core Maths” that could be taught by non-Maths teachers (another thing to add to their long list of duties!) and will cover everyday essential maths skills.

Maybe it sounds useful on paper, but it seems like another poorly thought out Tory ego project just to appease their voters who believe everyone should study STEM instead of humanities.

All whilst they continue to ignore tackling real issues in the education system (and the NHS, on-going strikes, energy crisis, cost of living, etc..)

Despite the strikes I think a lot of people are unaware of how dire it is to work in the public sector nowadays. You used to have a lot of kids seeing their parents work as nurses or teachers and wanting to follow in their footsteps. I can't see that happening now. We think it's bad now but it'll get a whole lot worse.

I agree that this maths story is intended as a distraction. Same as Rwanda being announced during Boris's endless scandals.

When all else fails prescribe fresh air and birdsong ☺

Last edited:
So we just arrest everyone that's in a small boat then? And then when they say on arrest they want to claim asylum put them in....an immigration centre? Am I missing something here? Next up, Rishi ends poverty by simply banning it.

Reactions: 1
I hated maths at school and couldn't wait to give it up. I managed to scrape a C at O level but only after having extra tuition.

My daughter lost me at about Year 5 ... I was no help to her at all!!

I've always thought maths was one of those subjects that you get or you don't.
Not to be a dick to you, but would you not say that’s a problem that as an adult you were struggling with primary school age maths? I don’t agree with making everyone do A Levels maths, however I don’t think that will be the plan, but we have one of the worst rates of adult numeracy in the developed world and its costs the country billions each year. Other countries don’t have this problem so I don’t think it’s a case of you either get maths or you don’t, a lot of it’s just down to teaching, which from my time at high school just over 10 years ago was pretty poor for maths.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.