UK Politics #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh I completely agree - a person's identity should never mean they have to have certain political views and I hate it when people question why any ethnic minorities are part of the Tory party.
My issue is her categorisation of "good immigrants" and "bad immigrants". Migrants on boats = inherently bad people. Migrants who come here speaking English and with skills = inherently good. Whilst I appreciate the whole "best and brightest" rhetoric I also think we should make space for those who need or just want a fresh start. There are so many vacancies at the moment and such low employment, we actually need workers of all types.
Of course learning English is important, and lack of access to learning can be used to control and isolate women, but it's not always that easy and I don't think a person has to give up all of their identity to become British. That's very much not what the UK is about for me.
Exactly, and saying certain people should think certain ways is counterproductive to any argument made. One of my friends whom I admire greatly for their intelligence, wit and charisma is what I would describe as a 'wet' tory voter. He is also gay. Telling him he shouldn't vote tory because he is gay is reductive, everyone has their own views - remember Biden telling black voters they weren't black if they voted Republican? Idiocy. Even my friend, who has consistently voted for them as long as I can remember (25 years-ish?) Is grumbling about Truss. A true barometer of how much they've fucked it.

Reactions: 4
I must admit gay Tories baffle me the most. I remember Section 28, I remember the rhetoric. I remember the 'loony left' being criticized for its 'obsession with gay rights'.

Reactions: 7
I do love Jezza, and he's spot on here

Attachments

Reactions: 8
I just don’t understand why Braverman etc are so completely obsessed with ‘protecting our borders’ and ‘stopping illegal immigrants’ when there are far more pressing things going on, namely how many people are going to be able to heat their homes and put food on the table this winter. The immigration issue is small fry as far as I’m concerned. Should we have mass uncontrolled immigration? No of course not, but we also need skilled immigrants to keep the economy running. That’s just a fact. Fruit and veg has been left rotting in fields since Brexit for example because there are no longer as many Eastern European migrants coming over and no Brits want to do that kind of work. Also I can’t say I’ve run into many illegal immigrants in my part of the world, I do know lots of people struggling financially and wondering how they will get through this winter though. I don’t believe the immigration issue is as bad as they make out it is it’s just the hard right of the Tory party are very bleeping racist and don’t like the idea of people coming over here.

I say hard right because I know there are moderate conservatives who don’t share this view but they have been forced out by the rabble. People like Rory Stewart, Ken Clarke etc.

Reactions: 15
I do love Jezza
Maybe as a low-level county councillor with little or no actual power over anyone or anything, or possibly in an open prison teaching politics to inmates on a part-time basis. Yes, in that capacity I could grow love him too I suppose.

On more important matters, I wonder what Liz will wear ... I'm thinking something blue. Royal or Navy ... that's the only question. :unsure:

Corbyn would be great as a minister for something "local problems" - transport, education, health - told to stick strictly to that brief. His biggest problem is that he has/had a tendancy to say things not too far removed from, or at least can be twisted as, "The IRA / PLO / Hamas are a great bunch of lads" and "Ukraine should stop fighting and let Russia have the land they want/claim". They might come from a theoretically laudable position of dialogue, understanding and peace, but completely ignore / run against human nature / reality and are...problematic in a national leader.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I knew a gay person who voted Tory (calling him a Tory would be a stretch) and he said he voted for tax reasons which I think is relatively minor when you consider that comes with a whole heap of questionable human rights and living standard issues but hey ho.

I agree it's not okay to expect someone to be a certain way just because of their demographic but it's always perplexing to see people fight for policies that would work against them if other people hadn't already done the work.

And who thought Priti would seem like a light touch in comparison to anyone else? Sheesh.

But I will say, the race politics and mentality of some Asians who lived in Africa is a product of the society they lived in and the role/social standing of Asians in Africa. Same as the person who said immigrants usually have conservative views because when you remove the racial aspect, that tends to align with the country they're from.

So Suella and Priti's views actually aren't that surprising.

Reactions: 5
I just don’t understand why Braverman etc are so completely obsessed with ‘protecting our borders’ and ‘stopping illegal immigrants’ when there are far more pressing things going on, namely how many people are going to be able to heat their homes and put food on the table this winter. The immigration issue is small fry as far as I’m concerned. Should we have mass uncontrolled immigration? No of course not, but we also need skilled immigrants to keep the economy running. That’s just a fact. Fruit and veg has been left rotting in fields since Brexit for example because there are no longer as many Eastern European migrants coming over and no Brits want to do that kind of work. Also I can’t say I’ve run into many illegal immigrants in my part of the world, I do know lots of people struggling financially and wondering how they will get through this winter though. I don’t believe the immigration issue is as bad as they make out it is it’s just the hard right of the Tory party are very bleeping racist and don’t like the idea of people coming over here.

I say hard right because I know there are moderate conservatives who don’t share this view but they have been forced out by the rabble. People like Rory Stewart, Ken Clarke etc.
Tories seems to use the question of migrants every time they struggle on other matters. It's a way to deflect and get the attention on people on a hot topic that always garner a lot of debate. The Daily Mail and co are helping them with their inflamatory headlines. That alsp shows how unintelligent they think the electorate is.

The question of migration is a touchy one, but Tories have made not possible to apply for asylum elsewhere than in the UK but do not let asylum seekers to come to depose their claim. If there was a real desire to decrease to number of people drowning in the Channel and weaken the migrant traffickers, the first thing would make it possible to claim asylum in your home country or in a neighboring country. They would also make easier for people already having relatives in the UK to apply. So it looks like they are exploiting the current situation - people risking their lives to cross the Channel just for political benefits. They pretend that they want to solve it but do nothing to find a solution. The whole Rwanda fiasco looked more like a show for the public than a carefully organised plan. Taxes are being used for this kind of stunts instead of trying to improve things.

Reactions: 8
What time is the Truss speaking this afternoon?

Please God let it be as entertaining as Pork Markets was

• Haha
What time is the Truss speaking this afternoon?

Please God let it be as entertaining as Pork Markets was

Im listening but my god it’s dire. It’s making me want to punch myself in the face for some light relief.
She just described Kwarteng as dynamic. She must mean in the sack, or when he’s tanked up at funerals because it’s certainly not during his day job.
She’s delivering, delivering and delivering. What she’s delivering is unclear ( unless she actually meant to tank the pound and duck the economy). I wouldn’t trust her to deliver a pizza.

Im listening but my god it’s dire. It’s making me want to punch myself in the face for some light relief.
She just described Kwarteng as dynamic. She must mean in the sack, or when he’s tanked up at funerals because it’s certainly not during his day job.
She’s delivering, delivering and delivering. What she’s delivering is unclear ( unless she actually meant to tank the pound and duck the economy). I wouldn’t trust her to deliver a pizza.
Damn I missed the start! Hope she at least delivered a little dance on her way to the lectern, like Theresa May did.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
She's blaming everything on the "anti growth coalition" but they haven't been in power for the last 12 years? The Tories have.
Who is she to tell the country what is necessary? No one voted for these policies.

She's blaming everything on the "anti growth coalition" but they haven't been in power for the last 12 years? The Tories have.
Who is she to tell the country what is necessary? No one voted for these policies.
Do you have any idea about who the anti growth coalition actually are?
I’ve narrowed it down to Jeremy Corbyn and the BBC or brown people and single mothers from luvvie lefty North London.

Not quite as good as when that bloke ran on stage and handed May a P45. :coffee:
Pity he’s still not around with a real one, thought that protester did a sterling job of looking like Truss whether it was intentional or not 😂

Do you have any idea about who the anti growth coalition actually are?
I’ve narrowed it down to Jeremy Corbyn and the BBC or brown people and single mothers from luvvie lefty North London.
Nicola Sturgeon of course. Truss seems absolutely determined to annoy as many Scots as she possibly can.

I honestly don’t understand Liz Truss at all. She’s banging on about things not working, things being slow, being innovative based on what’s been done before (FYI Liz: that’s not innovation) without acknowledging the Tories have been in power for 12 agonising years and are entirely responsible for the vast majority of the lack of success.

Does she think the public are stupid?

Also, she is completely uninspiring as a speaker and a leader. I don’t give a tit about the Tory infighting or what have you; she’s not capable of being a Prime Minister of the modern age. She is robotic, insipid and dull.

Reactions: 9
She is almost as if somebody took Teresa May, removed whatever likeable bits were still there (because she can come across as decent and pleasant in the right circumstances), and went off happy with their work.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.