UK Politics #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I agree. I think my issue is that we’ve had a Tory government for about 12 years and the country has got nothing but worse so what’s the harm in trying a new government? Surely it CANT get worse
I agree. And frankly, if the Tories can't agree on any policies at all after 10 days of a new Cabinet, they need to he having these conversations in opposition. If Truss wants to depart from the 2019 manifesto, she needs to get a new one by having a General election. But she probably knows its a choice of being completely annihilated now or losing less badly later. Of course Labour are always capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, but I hope people remember the disaster of the past few days at election time.

Reactions: 5
I agree. And frankly, if the Tories can't agree on any policies at all after 10 days of a new Cabinet, they need to he having these conversations in opposition. If Truss wants to depart from the 2019 manifesto, she needs to get a new one by having a General election. But she probably knows its a choice of being completely annihilated now or losing less badly later. Of course Labour are always capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, but I hope people remember the disaster of the past few days at election time.
The past few days? How about the past 12 years?

Reactions: 8
Well to be fair, I dont remember them being in open warfare before. If the Tories are good at one thing, its shutting up and pretending to be united in the face of election defeat, whereas Labour factions openly despise each other and don't care who knows it.

Well to be fair, I dont remember them being in open warfare before. If the Tories are good at one thing, its shutting up and pretending to be united in the face of election defeat, whereas Labour factions openly despise each other and don't care who knows it.
It is always amusing to read the autobiographies and diaries later to find out what was going on behind the scenes though.

Reactions: 2
I agree - the roles have reversed. The Tories are usually very good at closing ranks when it comes to it. The issue is the red wall seats which they are likely to lose if they depart from the manifesto pledges which were used to win them over.

The 2019 election was essentially a second brexit referendum, so it will take a lot for the Tories to keep those seats and the government will have a hard time convincing anyone that Trussonomics will lead to levelling up anywhere. All out warfare is needed at this point, it's a desperate situation for them.

Reactions: 4
Ugghhh which factory are these pms and mps made in :mad: now truss is all "in the round" FML why do they all say it?? The bleeping nodding as she speaks.... I want to know where their batteries are fitted, I swear they're all robots, programmed exactly the same.
Also why is Britain being governed by the media? We don't need reactive leaders. It's not difficult 1.make the correct choice. 2. Stick to it.

Reactions: 10
I will never understand how the offspring of immigrants can so bleeping hateful about other immigrants trying to come here? People who attempt to cross the channel must be really bleeping desperate in the first place.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I will never understand how the offspring of immigrants can so bleeping hateful about other immigrants trying to come here? People who attempt to cross the channel must be really bleeping desperate in the first place.
Oh but don't you know Suella's parents came here and toed the line. They learnt English and assimilated ASAP. They are the good kind of immigrants 🤦🏻‍♀️

She's a horrendous individual.
Her speech was terrifying. We should have no right to protest and no right to seek justice elsewhere if we are failed by the British courts. I don't think people appreciate how scary that is.

The stuff she said about abuse of modern slavery laws is questionable too.

Reactions: 9
It is always amusing to read the autobiographies and diaries later to find out what was going on behind the scenes though.
They are certainly amusing. I read the one from the Tory guy who used to work in the oil business and I think was MP for Rutland, anyway, his name escapes me. Amazing how he was the sole voice of sanity, unwaveringly prescient / omniscient about every major political event covered in his diary. It's almost like it's written after the event, purely for his own vanity. An MP, full of tit ? Surely not ?

edit : Alan Duncan rang a bell. Quick Wiki and yep, it's him.

Reactions: 1
They are certainly amusing. I read the one from the Tory guy who used to work in the oil business and I think was MP for Rutland, anyway, his name escapes me. Amazing how he was the sole voice of sanity, unwaveringly prescient / omniscient about every major political event covered in his diary. It's almost like it's written after the event, purely for his own vanity. An MP, full of tit ? Surely not ?

edit : Alan Duncan rang a bell. Quick Wiki and yep, it's him.
Yeah, the quality (and believability) of said diaries varies. That's why I prefer Clark and Channon, because they really gave no fucks.

At least Cameron and Osbourne were competent toads. They rode in as slick young operators bringing the Tories out of the wilderness. The problem is every iteration since has been a downgrade. Cameron made tactical errors allowing referendums on Independence and EU membership because whatever the merits of either both still dominate the political landscape long after he fell on his sword. Now each candidate has to be more fanatical than the last to get the top job, and the pool of fanatics is depleting.

Reactions: 3
These times I envy the American two term limit, especially since Tories extended terms to five years.

I get every leader wants to make their mark but it's nonsensical for Truss to go back on so many of the 2019 proposals. We didn't even get to vote for her so the least she can do is cause minimal disruption.

And the Tories might fool some people by blaming Labour for certain policies but how effective of a party can you claim to be if 12 years isn't long enough to fix "Labour's mistakes"? If they manage to win the next election somehow, they'll be referring to policies from nearly two decades ago...???

Reactions: 8
[QU
The most anti-immgrant person I know is an educated Indian girl who lives in Brighton! :unsure: Maybe I just caught her on an off-day ...

Reactions: 1
The Daily Mail have really got it in for Liz and Kwazi now and are baying for them both. I said all along that she’d be a gift to the Labour Party, to quote Boris ‘totally bleeping useless’. They must be kicking themselves that they didn’t pick Rishi. This may be the Tory version of the time Labour picked the wrong Milliband brother.

Reactions: 10
These times I envy the American two term limit, especially since Tories extended terms to five years.

I get every leader wants to make their mark but it's nonsensical for Truss to go back on so many of the 2019 proposals. We didn't even get to vote for her so the least she can do is cause minimal disruption.

And the Tories might fool some people by blaming Labour for certain policies but how effective of a party can you claim to be if 12 years isn't long enough to fix "Labour's mistakes"? If they manage to win the next election somehow, they'll be referring to policies from nearly two decades ago...???
I keep thinking about two term limits but the trouble is they have literally nothing to lose in the second term and so can use it to do unpopular things. A balance is definitely needed though.

I just watched the Beth Rigby interview and it's all so infuriating. Does Truss really think that answering every single question by talking about the energy crisis and support is going to work? Does she think we're all stupid? And the cost of that policy is unknown anyway - as it will depend on wholesale costs - so surely they just to focus on that for now. Its so hard not to throw things at the TV when she's on, I can't imagine how it feels to be a red wall MP!

but don't you know Suella's parents came here and toed the line. They learnt English and assimilated ASAP. They are the good kind of
I think she is bloody awful, but her parents have a similar background to mine. English is their more or less a first language. So I doubt they learnt English when they came here. They were fluent already is my bet. Also many Asians from from our background ( and many immigrant backgrounds) tend to be massively socially and economically Conservative. She unsurprisingly (to me) fits right in to Truss's Tory Party. I do feel slightly uncomfortable when people say children of immigrants should be a certain way, because we have do many different backgrounds and places we come from, so we have little in common with each other. Immigrants can't be lumped together with having the same views just because they are children of immigrants.

Reactions: 14
I think she is bloody awful, but her parents have a similar background to mine. English is their more or less a first language. So I doubt they learnt English when they came here. They were fluent already is my bet. Also many Asians from from our background ( and many immigrant backgrounds) tend to be massively socially and economically Conservative. She unsurprisingly (to me) fits right in to Truss's Tory Party. I do feel slightly uncomfortable when people say children of immigrants should be a certain way, because we have do many different backgrounds and places we come from, so we have little in common with each other. Immigrants can't be lumped together with having the same views just because they are children of immigrants.
Oh I completely agree - a person's identity should never mean they have to have certain political views and I hate it when people question why any ethnic minorities are part of the Tory party.
My issue is her categorisation of "good immigrants" and "bad immigrants". Migrants on boats = inherently bad people. Migrants who come here speaking English and with skills = inherently good. Whilst I appreciate the whole "best and brightest" rhetoric I also think we should make space for those who need or just want a fresh start. There are so many vacancies at the moment and such low employment, we actually need workers of all types.
Of course learning English is important, and lack of access to learning can be used to control and isolate women, but it's not always that easy and I don't think a person has to give up all of their identity to become British. That's very much not what the UK is about for me.

Reactions: 9
Oh I completely agree - a person's identity should never mean they have to have certain political views and I hate it when people question why any ethnic minorities are part of the Tory party.
My issue is her categorisation of "good immigrants" and "bad immigrants". Migrants on boats = inherently bad people. Migrants who come here speaking English and with skills = inherently good. Whilst I appreciate the whole "best and brightest" rhetoric I also think we should make space for those who need or just want a fresh start. There are so many vacancies at the moment and such low employment, we actually need workers of all types.
Of course learning English is important, and lack of access to learning can be used to control and isolate women, but it's not always that easy and I don't think a person has to give up all of their identity to become British. That's very much not what the UK is about for me.
I totally agree. It just annoys me the whole ' not really black' thing that some people come out with because even though I don't agree with them it removes agency from all black and brown people.
I agree that I don't understand why people waiting for asylum claims can't be given temporary work visas to work in farms etc. Many if these people end up disappearing to work on cannabis farms or prostitution to pay off gangmasters. If the government could get them to do legitimate work while waiting for their claims to be heard it would be far more controllable. Anyway the government gas been in charge for 12 years and has done nothing but make the situation worse by picking fights with France to appease their UKIP 'We won The War' dickheads so she's talking rubbish.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.