Tokyo Olympic Games 2020/1

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
1) how do they decide which country comes out? Because I thought it was alphabetical but it started with Iceland?
2) the athletes that have already gone through the procession sitting on the floor and hunched over their phones looks so messy and quite rude?

Reactions: 2
I wish the awful commentators would shut the duck up. I want to listen to the videogame music playing, they're ruining it.

Reactions: 6
1) how do they decide which country comes out? Because I thought it was alphabetical but it started with Iceland?
2) the athletes that have already gone through the procession sitting on the floor and hunched over their phones looks so messy and quite rude?
They are using the Japanese alphabet this time.

Reactions: 4
They're using the Japanese alphabet apparently, hence the seemingly messy order for us

I think they should have gone the unconventional way and had the athletes walk out first and then do the whole procession so it at least looked like there was a crowd there and seemed a bit more natural

I'm honestly completely on board with not having a crowd but it's weird to not hear cheering/clapping

Also, not sure if anyone was paying much attention but I noticed the volunteers bowed to SK athletes instead of waving, I wonder if it was intentional or if I just missed the waving

Imagine being one of the teams stuck round the back of the stadium waiting to come in. About 90 more countries to go...the final 3 are USA, France and Japan.

They're using the Japanese alphabet apparently, hence the seemingly messy order for us

I think they should have gone the unconventional way and had the athletes walk out first and then do the whole procession so it at least looked like there was a crowd there and seemed a bit more natural

I'm honestly completely on board with not having a crowd but it's weird to not hear cheering/clapping

Also, not sure if anyone was paying much attention but I noticed the volunteers bowed to SK athletes instead of waving, I wonder if it was intentional or if I just missed the waving
They tend to bow as a greeting in Japan. I’ve been half watching while working so could’ve totally missed the context!

Reactions: 1
I'm pretty sure there are more interesting facts than a country being formerly part of Soviet Union :rolleyes:

Nothing will ever beat the 2012 London opening ceremony, especially the Industrial Revolution / Pandemonium section. Goosebumps every time.
I was at the rehearsal 2 days before it happened and it was honestly one of those moments I’ll remember forever

• Heart
Reactions: 3
They moved some boxes around and made patterns, loads of drones made some patterns, there was an ‘imagine’ montage

Highlights:

1. Flame lighting, always poignant
2. Globe drone
3. Pictograms thing was cool, shame s/he dropped their badminton racket. Hope they don't feel too bad about it, it was otherwise very well executed.

Reactions: 3
Also liked the piano part with the Japanese superhero

I hope it all goes well for Japan and the athletes so they closing ceremony can be a bit more of a celebration. Though, I fully expect it to go tits up and for the closing event to be another toned down ceremony

I also wonder what their plans are for athletes who need to isolate? It seems awful to come to the Olympics, be told to send-isolate and then miss your competition

Looking forward to watching the opening ceremony with tea later!

Working tomorrow but I'm off Monday so I'm very tempted to stay up and see how the mens triathalon goes.

Does anyone have a comprehensive guide of where to watch what? I'm keen to watch the equestrian days, anything running (not race walking, duck race walking), gymnastics, diving, skate boarding, rowing, rugby... basically anything that's not a ball sport (except rugby) and anything that's not dull (mens road cycling isn't my kind of thing. The track cycling however!)

The main Olympic event for me is always women’s gymnastics, can’t wait 👯‍♂️

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.