Toddler advice thread #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So just trying to get mine to sit and do some colouring with me šŸ¤£. He doesnā€™t want to and keeps getting up to ride his scuttle bug and dance. Sing is on in the background ā€¦ he coloured one page and then used felt tip on his hand and wanted to paint hand prints šŸ™ˆ. But I donā€™t have any paint.
I just worry about his development and early learning šŸ˜ž. He loves physical stuff like out Doors dancing and play doh/ paint but doesnā€™t wanna sit and write / colour.Thereā€™s kids in his pre school who are writing 1-6 already
---
And I had another row with my mum on Sunday about potty training šŸ˜­

So just trying to get mine to sit and do some colouring with me šŸ¤£. He doesnā€™t want to and keeps getting up to ride his scuttle bug and dance. Sing is on in the background ā€¦ he coloured one page and then used felt tip on his hand and wanted to paint hand prints šŸ™ˆ. But I donā€™t have any paint.
I just worry about his development and early learning šŸ˜ž. He loves physical stuff like out Doors dancing and play doh/ paint but doesnā€™t wanna sit and write / colour.Thereā€™s kids in his pre school who are writing 1-6 already
---
Please donā€™t worry about his mark making right now. Take a look at Play Hooray on instagram - when Joe Wicks was doing his father of the year stuff about making his kids sit down and do letter tracing she came out fighting in the most brilliant way over the fact itā€™s not the only way to develop their gross and fine motor skills. Their hands are still developing so they strengthen them in all sorts of ways at this age.

he will be stronger in other areas compared to the kids who are writing 1-6 anyway, so donā€™t sweat it.

ETA found the link to her reel:

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
---
Have you tried other mark making ideas? There is so much more to mark making than just using pen on paper. Also work on hand strengthening activities to ensure he is physically ready to hold the pens.

Reactions: 1
Re the potty training, I know your son is older than mine, mine is 3 in two weeks and we still havenā€™t potty trained, he isnā€™t interested. heā€™s done a wee by chance here and there but he screams when he sees the potty and says no and i genuinely believe he isnā€™t ready. i get snarky comments from my fellas Mum and uncle ALL the time but i just think stuff them. you know your child best and if heā€™s not ready heā€™s not ready and you and him will know when he is ready. Youā€™re doing a fabulous job, donā€™t worry, his time to shine will come when he is ready, so what if other kids can do this and that before him, every child is unique and his time to shine will come eventually šŸ¤ Just shows your a fab Mum cos you are worried so much about him. It took me a lot of time to stop caring what other people think about my parenting but honestly itā€™s the best thing you can do. He wonā€™t be in nappies for ever x

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Please donā€™t worry about his mark making right now. Take a look at Play Hooray on instagram - when Joe Wicks was doing his father of the year stuff about making his kids sit down and do letter tracing she came out fighting in the most brilliant way over the fact itā€™s not the only way to develop their gross and fine motor skills. Their hands are still developing so they strengthen them in all sorts of ways at this age.

he will be stronger in other areas compared to the kids who are writing 1-6 anyway, so donā€™t sweat it.

ETA found the link to her reel:
Oh thanks. He likes most of these things anyway!! He loves the syringe that comes with the play doh so he will like that one. & he loves anything on a tuff tray. I just worry Iā€™m not doing enough with him and that heā€™s not gonna be ready for school at all šŸ˜ž

Oh thanks. He likes most of these things anyway!! He loves the syringe that comes with the play doh so he will like that one. & he loves anything on a tuff tray. I just worry Iā€™m not doing enough with him and that heā€™s not gonna be ready for school at all šŸ˜ž
You know what my son love doing, he loves dabbing a bingo dabber thing on paper. Iā€™ll draw different sized circles and will ask him to dab in the circle and heā€™ll sit and doing it for ages but he gets so bored drawing. Does he have a chalk or white board? mine loves his as well, and those little boards with the pen and the shape you can draw on

Re the potty training, I know your son is older than mine, mine is 3 in two weeks and we still havenā€™t potty trained, he isnā€™t interested. heā€™s done a wee by chance here and there but he screams when he sees the potty and says no and i genuinely believe he isnā€™t ready. i get snarky comments from my fellas Mum and uncle ALL the time but i just think stuff them. you know your child best and if heā€™s not ready heā€™s not ready and you and him will know when he is ready. Youā€™re doing a fabulous job, donā€™t worry, his time to shine will come when he is ready, so what if other kids can do this and that before him, every child is unique and his time to shine will come eventually šŸ¤ Just shows your a fab Mum cos you are worried so much about him. It took me a lot of time to stop caring what other people think about my parenting but honestly itā€™s the best thing you can do. He wonā€™t be in nappies for ever x
Oh god this made me tear up šŸ¤£. Itā€™s just so hard work with my mum. Iā€™ve been dreading seeing her!! At Christmas she said youā€™re off now get the potty out. Same for this week as she knows Iā€™m off. When I posted the other week about him having a sore Willy I sent her the same msg and she put back his wee is too strong time to get the nappies off ( I swear she just makes stuff up) my fella went to get some top soil from her work on Sunday and he came back and said your mum said to get the nappies off. And then when I got there on Sunday she said straight away are the nappies coming off this week and I said donā€™t start. Heā€™s my son Iā€™ll decide and she said if schools said he had to be dry youd do it. Itā€™s not just simple to do it is it!? Mine is like yours he will cry when Iā€™ve tried putting under pants on him or if I leave him naked heā€™ll go and get a nappy. He just doesnā€™t understand yet
Thanks for your lovely msg xx
---
Have you tried other mark making ideas? There is so much more to mark making than just using pen on paper. Also work on hand strengthening activities to ensure he is physically ready to hold the pens.
I think heā€™s fine holding a pen cos he used to really like colouring but now doesnā€™t ? He likes holding a paint brush and things like that too
I will look into other things. Heā€™s just a doer he doesnā€™t like sitting he likes to be doing things all the time.

• Heart
You know what my son love doing, he loves dabbing a bingo dabber thing on paper. Iā€™ll draw different sized circles and will ask him to dab in the circle and heā€™ll sit and doing it for ages but he gets so bored drawing. Does he have a chalk or white board? mine loves his as well, and those little boards with the pen and the shape you can draw on
I got him some Dino stamps he did them a few times and just lost interest. I have a board with the pen and shapes and he got bored of that also! He did it loads and now isnā€™t really interested. He will sit and do a tiny bit of Crafts but not for long.

I got him some Dino stamps he did them a few times and just lost interest. I have a board with the pen and shapes and he got bored of that also! He did it loads and now isnā€™t really interested. He will sit and do a tiny bit of Crafts but not for long.
Mine is the same tbh He doesnā€™t have a long attention span when it comes to sitting down and writing/drawing. heā€™d much rather be up and playing in the garden or driving round on his ride on Thomas the tank, and thereā€™s nothing wrong with that at all!

• Heart
When is he going to school? The things our school asks for us to try and do so they are ready are all to do with being independence eg putting on and zipping coat, putting on shoes correctly, using the toilet unaided, opening and closing lunchbox and the contents, washing hands. They are there to teach your children, we donā€™t need to send them able to do everything already.

Reactions: 3
When is he going to school? The things our school asks for us to try and do so they are ready are all to do with being independence eg putting on and zipping coat, putting on shoes correctly, using the toilet unaided, opening and closing lunchbox and the contents, washing hands. They are there to teach your children, we donā€™t need to send them able to do everything already.
Heā€™s going in September. But heā€™s at pre school 5 days a week. He can put his coat on and off - canā€™t zip it up but can unZip it. He can put his shoes and wellies on. Sometimes needs help with his shoes to fasten them. Toilet canā€™t do. He washes hands as well. Heā€™ll do that here at school and if i go to a toilet somewhere heā€™ll come with me and wash hands. Iā€™m just worried because he is behind thatā€™s all ( nursery have said so ) and I got a letter the other day saying he needs more assessment for EHCP and ive got a bad feeling he isnā€™t going to get it.

• Heart
Ooh iā€™ll give him half an hour then. Usually heā€™s dead grouchy when he has a short nap so thatā€™ll be fun šŸ˜‚ what time did you put him to bed?
I think i aimed for 8 but he only went to sleep just before 9
Mine used to be dead grouchy when Iā€™d wake him but heā€™s not now. If he falls asleep in the car I wake him up and he just gets up and walks off. Hopefully heā€™ll be ok for you!!

• Heart
Hey guys. Just checking in as we have a poorly girl again :ROFLMAO: 3 weeks since last bug wiped her out, she's picked something up again. Currently asleep on the sofa - god knows what that will mean for bedtime!
Thinking of contacting the doctor tomorrow just to see if I should get her checked? Since the scarlet fever in November, she's been constantly ill - one bug to the next, never really recovering from any of them. Every cough or cold seems to hit her so much harder as well. Before she would just soldier on, but now she has temps of 40 every time, sleeps for days on end and is just really poorly with them. I know kids get every bug going, but she's off sick more than she goes in nowadays, which doesn't seem right to me? I guess I'm thinking maybe she could be anaemic or needs her tonsils out or something? I don't really know what to think.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Hey guys. Just checking in as we have a poorly girl again :ROFLMAO: 3 weeks since last bug wiped her out, she's picked something up again. Currently asleep on the sofa - god knows what that will mean for bedtime!
Thinking of contacting the doctor tomorrow just to see if I should get her checked? Since the scarlet fever in November, she's been constantly ill - one bug to the next, never really recovering from any of them. Every cough or cold seems to hit her so much harder as well. Before she would just soldier on, but now she has temps of 40 every time, sleeps for days on end and is just really poorly with them. I know kids get every bug going, but she's off sick more than she goes in nowadays, which doesn't seem right to me? I guess I'm thinking maybe she could be anaemic or needs her tonsils out or something? I don't really know what to think.
My toddler is sick a lot too, seems like he only just recovers then is ill again but with mine he has periods where he is ok, like at least a week or two and sometimes when heā€™s struck down with something itā€™s only a mild cough or cold. If you are really concerned trust your Mum instincts and ring the doctor šŸ˜Š

Have you tried a multivitamin such as abidec to try and boost her immune system?
Unless there's a major issue being caused by tonsils they are reluctant to remove them.

Iā€™m sure this has been mentioned on here before but - advice for a 17 month old who keeps hitting please!

I have an older child who is 5, but I didnā€™t have any of this with him. He is much more quiet and placid.

My super boisterous second child has started hitting. Itā€™s happening a lot, when heā€™s being held or he goes up to people and hits them.

We have tried using a stern ā€˜noā€™, we have tried ignoring, we have tried explaining and modelling ā€˜gentleā€™ hands. Nothing has seemed to work so far.

Any advice greatly appreciated, this is new territory for us!

Iā€™m sure this has been mentioned on here before but - advice for a 17 month old who keeps hitting please!

I have an older child who is 5, but I didnā€™t have any of this with him. He is much more quiet and placid.

My super boisterous second child has started hitting. Itā€™s happening a lot, when heā€™s being held or he goes up to people and hits them.

We have tried using a stern ā€˜noā€™, we have tried ignoring, we have tried explaining and modelling ā€˜gentleā€™ hands. Nothing has seemed to work so far.

From my experience you just have to keep going with the bib - ā€œyou hurt mummy, and thatā€™s not kindā€¦ say sorryā€ - he will eventually stop. I actually donā€™t know why they do it and itā€™s possibly my least favourite stage tbh. God speed xx
---

This is quite a good article on hitting: https://www.healthline.com/health/parenting/toddler-hitting

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.