Toddler advice thread #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Depends on the day for us 😆 Some days he is a little angel sent from heaven others he’s like the devil. Overall he is a lovely kid though

Reactions: 6
So weird you all said this. My daughter was 3 on 23rd and she’s been such an angel. Listening, helping, i joked to her dad that she’s had a personality transplant the day she turned 3 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
My 3 year old is amazing, he’s really hit his stride since he turned 3 and his communication (he has a speech delay) has come on leaps and bounds, although still behind his peers. But he was so difficult from 18-30 months - multiple tantrums a day, every day(!) so I’m hoping this is our reward for getting through that tough bit! 😆

Oh my god I could have written this word for word! My wee boy is 3 and a half and is such a joy just now after a solid 6-9 months of constant daily tantrums, some lasting up to an hour long. He was slightly speech delayed too. I always think though, right when is the next bad patch going to hit 🙈 You think you’ve cracked this parenting lark, have a month of peace then they decide to act like devils again 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Does anyone else’s toddler use American terms 🤦🏼‍♀️ my toddler just made me pay for a casserole he made me in his kitchen, I said how much is it? he said 30 dollars 😂 then his Dad was going the shop and my toddler goes ‘i’ll come and we’ll get some candy’ 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Does anyone else’s toddler use American terms 🤦🏼‍♀️ my toddler just made me pay for a casserole he made me in his kitchen, I said how much is it? he said 30 dollars 😂 then his Dad was going the shop and my toddler goes ‘i’ll come and we’ll get some candy’ 🤣
Not really, although my daughter does use a hard A sometimes when saying things like bath and path etc (we’re southerners so long-A all the way…) and she cals the toilet brush a dunny brush (thanks Bluey 🤣🤣🤣) which absolutely cracks me up.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Hi all, never posted here before, hope I'm in the right place. I have a 3 (coming up 4 in the next few months) year old and I cannot stress enough how much I adore her but she is sucking the life out of me currently. She is in the phase where she isn't listening and never does as she is asked and it's creating a lot of tension. I've been ill recently as well which I think only adds to the stress I'm feeling but it's honestly just getting me so down at the moment. I'm trying to arrange a time to go to the cinema or something with a friend because I literally cannot remember the last time I was away from my child unless it was to go to work (I work part time). Does anyone have any advice? I think I need to do better at going out alone and finding something to do out of the house by myself but I'm genuinely starting to feel almost depressed and like I don't want this life anymore, even though I want to spend all my time with her at the same time. It's so confusing.

• Heart
Hi all, never posted here before, hope I'm in the right place. I have a 3 (coming up 4 in the next few months) year old and I cannot stress enough how much I adore her but she is sucking the life out of me currently. She is in the phase where she isn't listening and never does as she is asked and it's creating a lot of tension. I've been ill recently as well which I think only adds to the stress I'm feeling but it's honestly just getting me so down at the moment. I'm trying to arrange a time to go to the cinema or something with a friend because I literally cannot remember the last time I was away from my child unless it was to go to work (I work part time). Does anyone have any advice? I think I need to do better at going out alone and finding something to do out of the house by myself but I'm genuinely starting to feel almost depressed and like I don't want this life anymore, even though I want to spend all my time with her at the same time. It's so confusing.
You sound touched out ❤‍🩹

does your little girl go to nursery at all? Can you get her in a playgroup?

What’s she doing when you say she’s not listening? Can you give some examples?

it’s hard not getting cross, her preschool used to use the phrase “good listening/listening ears” and praise or pick them up on things from there. When things went pear shaped when she was with me (as in her not listening) I’d often turn it around on her and ask how she’d feel if I didn’t listen to her. They understand sooooooooo much by this age and you can have Frank conversations with them when they do these kind of things.

Do you have anyone else parenting with you? You sound exhausted and just like you need a break. If you are struggling I would recommend self-referring to your mental well-being team as well and getting some support that way xx

Bandaid 🙄 she fell over at nursery last week, grazed her fingers quite badly so they put a plaster over the worst one cos she wouldn’t stop touching it. She came running out at pick up like ‘mum LOOK I’ve got a bandaid on to cover my injury’ 😂

• Haha
Not really, although my daughter does use a hard A sometimes when saying things like bath and path etc (we’re southerners so long-A all the way…) and she cals the toilet brush a dunny brush (thanks Bluey 🤣🤣🤣) which absolutely cracks me up.
My daughter received some money recently for her birthday and she called it dollar bucks thanks to Bluey 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
You sound touched out ❤‍🩹

does your little girl go to nursery at all? Can you get her in a playgroup?

What’s she doing when you say she’s not listening? Can you give some examples?

it’s hard not getting cross, her preschool used to use the phrase “good listening/listening ears” and praise or pick them up on things from there. When things went pear shaped when she was with me (as in her not listening) I’d often turn it around on her and ask how she’d feel if I didn’t listen to her. They understand sooooooooo much by this age and you can have Frank conversations with them when they do these kind of things.

Do you have anyone else parenting with you? You sound exhausted and just like you need a break. If you are struggling I would recommend self-referring to your mental well-being team as well and getting some support that way xx
Thank you. Yes she goes to nursery two full days a week and I have my partner (her dad) parenting with me but it's always me she goes to because I'm the one with her the most. To the point that I can be in the shower and her dad will be in the same room with her literally sat with her but she will leave the room, come to the bathroom and ask me for something rather than asking her dad. I know my downside is not giving myself a break and not taking myself away enough so I really do need to do that. I think I need to find something to get me out and about more often, perhaps I should look on some local groups.

We do explain things to her and she does seem to understand it but then just doesn't want to take it on board. Nursery also say that they're having issues with her not listening and outright refusing to do things but apparently about 50% of her class are doing the same so I do wonder if it's behaviour they're all picking up from one another. You can literally say to her can you help me tidy up these toys and she will stomp her foot and shout NO! And throw a tantrum if you keep asking.... She's such a lovely little girl but when she's on one she can be awful and it just seems she's like that more often than not at the moment. I hope it's a phase and we'll be at the other end of it soon but I'm going to make it my goal for this week to just slow down a bit and make more time for myself and hopefully that'll make it easier to not end up snapping and then we can sit and talk things through together better.

• Heart
Thank you. Yes she goes to nursery two full days a week and I have my partner (her dad) parenting with me but it's always me she goes to because I'm the one with her the most. To the point that I can be in the shower and her dad will be in the same room with her literally sat with her but she will leave the room, come to the bathroom and ask me for something rather than asking her dad. I know my downside is not giving myself a break and not taking myself away enough so I really do need to do that. I think I need to find something to get me out and about more often, perhaps I should look on some local groups.

We do explain things to her and she does seem to understand it but then just doesn't want to take it on board. Nursery also say that they're having issues with her not listening and outright refusing to do things but apparently about 50% of her class are doing the same so I do wonder if it's behaviour they're all picking up from one another. You can literally say to her can you help me tidy up these toys and she will stomp her foot and shout NO! And throw a tantrum if you keep asking.... She's such a lovely little girl but when she's on one she can be awful and it just seems she's like that more often than not at the moment. I hope it's a phase and we'll be at the other end of it soon but I'm going to make it my goal for this week to just slow down a bit and make more time for myself and hopefully that'll make it easier to not end up snapping and then we can sit and talk things through together better.
Even getting out for a walk by yourself for half an hour a day might make a huge difference to you, I would say a bath but sounds like she’ll just bust in on you.

sounds a lot like all the kids at nursery are influencing each other, definitely. It will likely pass but you could try out a reward chart or something? Do you think she’d respond to that?

They have a lot of attitude sometimes at this age and it’s tiring. When I ask my daughter to help me tidy up (all her mess!) she says “but why do I have to do it?!” She actually hates tidying, she regularly missed out on treats at nursery because she wouldn’t help and now at school she’s the bloody same, little scroat 😂 she’s fully capable of being lovely and loving in every other way but doesn’t seem to have a tidy bone in her body.

Its such a tough age ( we were saying a few pages ago no one warns you of the threenager year!)

Definitely sounds like you are running on low energy now. would your partner be able to take her out for the day/ few hours so you can be alone?

I was very similar, i had no patience, I was exhausted and was crying a lot and my husband then decided once a week he would take her to his parents for the day, they’d leave super early and come back bed time.

I literally did nothing all day and it was amazing, definitely what I needed to feel a bit normal.

Even if its a couple of hours that they are at soft play or whatever, you just need some time on your own to re-charge and for you to not be option one for your daughter ❤

• Heart
Even getting out for a walk by yourself for half an hour a day might make a huge difference to you, I would say a bath but sounds like she’ll just bust in on you.

sounds a lot like all the kids at nursery are influencing each other, definitely. It will likely pass but you could try out a reward chart or something? Do you think she’d respond to that?

They have a lot of attitude sometimes at this age and it’s tiring. When I ask my daughter to help me tidy up (all her mess!) she says “but why do I have to do it?!” She actually hates tidying, she regularly missed out on treats at nursery because she wouldn’t help and now at school she’s the bloody same, little scroat 😂 she’s fully capable of being lovely and loving in every other way but doesn’t seem to have a tidy bone in her body.
That's made me feel so much better as I don't really have any friends who have children around a similar age they're all younger than her and you always hear about how wonderful their little 1 year olds are and I just always think I'm doing something wrong.

It's literally a battle about anything and everything. Literally anything you ask her to do even if it's get dressed to go out it takes so much longer than it should because we have to deal with the NOs and foot stomping first. She had a touch of this before but it was occasionally but it feels like since Christmas it's been constant. Perhaps it's because she doesn't need to worry about being good for santa now and perhaps thats why so many at nursery are the same!? Who knows... I've just had a super hot shower and I'm going to spend a little bit of time making a plan for this week this evening... might plan in some time to do something simple like do my nails once she's in bed. Thanks for your help it's helped me loads x
---

Its such a tough age ( we were saying a few pages ago no one warns you of the threenager year!)

Definitely sounds like you are running on low energy now. would your partner be able to take her out for the day/ few hours so you can be alone?

I was very similar, i had no patience, I was exhausted and was crying a lot and my husband then decided once a week he would take her to his parents for the day, they’d leave super early and come back bed time.

I literally did nothing all day and it was amazing, definitely what I needed to feel a bit normal.

Even if its a couple of hours that they are at soft play or whatever, you just need some time on your own to re-charge and for you to not be option one for your daughter ❤
Thank you, I think it's just how constant it is. I've learned now that if you're there they're going to ask you as the "main" parent so you just need to remove yourself but I've always struggled with doing things for myself even before I was a mum 🤦‍♀️ I need to get better at it. I'm going to message a few friends and get some things in the diary and perhaps suggest to my partner that we should have a date lunch one Saturday or something and get one of our parents to help out with her.

Thanks for your comments I feel so much lighter just getting it off my chest and knowing it's not just me x

• Heart
That's made me feel so much better as I don't really have any friends who have children around a similar age they're all younger than her and you always hear about how wonderful their little 1 year olds are and I just always think I'm doing something wrong.

It's literally a battle about anything and everything. Literally anything you ask her to do even if it's get dressed to go out it takes so much longer than it should because we have to deal with the NOs and foot stomping first. She had a touch of this before but it was occasionally but it feels like since Christmas it's been constant. Perhaps it's because she doesn't need to worry about being good for santa now and perhaps thats why so many at nursery are the same!? Who knows... I've just had a super hot shower and I'm going to spend a little bit of time making a plan for this week this evening... might plan in some time to do something simple like do my nails once she's in bed. Thanks for your help it's helped me loads x
---

Thank you, I think it's just how constant it is. I've learned now that if you're there they're going to ask you as the "main" parent so you just need to remove yourself but I've always struggled with doing things for myself even before I was a mum 🤦‍♀️ I need to get better at it. I'm going to message a few friends and get some things in the diary and perhaps suggest to my partner that we should have a date lunch one Saturday or something and get one of our parents to help out with her.

Thanks for your comments I feel so much lighter just getting it off my chest and knowing it's not just me x
It sounds like we have the same child!! Mine can be so incredibly lovely and funny and kind and caring but also so stubborn and rude sometimes (pretty sure that describes all kids to be fair) and it can be exhausting.

The others have made great points, the things that have helped me the most are:

- chatting about it with friends or on here - it so helps to know you're not alone! I have some good friends that I made at a baby group with her so we've been friends for 3 years now and we're all going through it together so I know that basically all of them do this. My friend works at a nursery and she says that from the January of their preschool year they all go a bit nuts, like they are trying to assert their dominance or something.

- recognising that it's more about me than her. So when I feel rested, and I've had some time to myself I cope with the behaviour a million times better. We had another baby 10 months ago and obviously there's been times I've been super exhausted or worried about him or stressed about something and I definitely notice how much harder I find my eldest's behaviour at those times but that's about me. Reminding myself of that really helps.

- modelling the behaviour I want to see, so if I'm getting frustrated I will say "I'm starting to feel really frustrated, I'm going to go to another room and take some deep breaths" or describing how I'm feeling "it makes me feel sad when I see one child hitting another" "it makes me feel upset when I ask for help tidying up and don't get it". She responds to that much better and she's started doing it herself, lots of telling us how she feels!

- pom pom jar. It was recommended on here and honestly it's amazing, really helps me recognise and reward all the good behaviours too which can go missed.

Good luck with it all, it's so hard when you're knee deep in a challenging season!

---

She’s probably seeing what she can get away with and what she has control over re NOs and stomping. Observing my daughter’s desire to be in control has helped a lot in my parenting, understanding when to give her control of something and when to explain why she’s not in charge yet has been useful. But the stomping thing gets very old very quickly- I have to admit that I went old school stern “DON’T stomp your feet at mummy!” And it didn’t last very much longer… its them trying to assert themselves but it’s such an aggressive little move I am like “I don’t stomp my feet at you, so there’s no way you’re going to do it to me”

I do think all the things you’ve got planned for yourself are brilliant- it’s so easy to lose yourself in motherhood xx

Those who stay with your little ones until they're asleep, what do you then do if they wake and scream every time they realise you're not there. It's constant with mini Pillows at the moment, and I mean proper full on hysteria 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Those who stay with your little ones until they're asleep, what do you then do if they wake and scream every time they realise you're not there. It's constant with mini Pillows at the moment, and I mean proper full on hysteria 😭
I settle her back down… ideally I try not to get back in with her, just encourage to lie back down and put my arm on her as reassurance until she goes back off. some nights are better than others… is mini pillows processing something at the moment? Any big changes happening or on the horizon?

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.